+ Reply to Thread
Page 372 of 376 FirstFirst ... 272 322 362 370 371 372 373 374 ... LastLast
Results 7,421 to 7,440 of 7502

Thread: My Hero Academia - Diamond is Unbreakable

Default Re: My Hero Academia - Diamond is Unbreakable

While I like some parts of this arc, I'm not a fan of the narration/storytelling in the past few chapters. Reading blocks of texts and lots of inner thoughts has been bothering me lately in this manga.
    Maybe rereading the arc later will be better for me.

You mean like HxH?

Yeah, like 80% of HxH is composed of monologues and narration.

Compared to that, this is pretty tame lol.

I always groan to myself a little when I see that a chapter is full of giant text boxes and technical explanations and stuff, but that's because I'm a lazy piece of shit. Not because Horikoshi is bad at exposition.

MHA honestly does a great job of oscillating between exposition-heavy chapters and pure action-y chapters/less technical lighthearted banter chapters. I'm guessing the next few will be almost nothing but big battles between Coalition Nighteye and the Eight Precept Envoys, possibly with a more wordy interruption to show what Gran Torino + Tsukauchi are up to (though that- including one of their deaths- is likely going to be off-paneled. Izuku's panic in the current chapter seemed like half a death flag on its own).
    Last edited by CCC; May 19th, 2017 at 12:35 AM.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

It WOULD make sense to off Gran Torino for some drama at this point. There doesn't seem to be more he can offer to Deku as a mentor, especially with both All-Might and Sir fulfilling that type of expertise themselves. And I've been thinking for a while that his presence feels a bit unnecessary after the Field Training arc. He hasn't contributed much at all since then besides minor exposition that All-Might or Tsukauchi could have given. I only wonder how such a death would affect All-Might's internal conflict about Shigaraki descending from Nana Shimura.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

I'm actually really disappointed by this chapter. This is the classic storming the enemy base story and it feels really bland and underwhelming. Clunky exposition boxes aside, the art and action felt subpar and didn't feel like they flowed very well. Maybe Horikoshi is too busy with the anime right now and it's affecting his work on the manga.
    Check out my tumblr for my thoughts on random movies and manga^^

http://lion-kun.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    It WOULD make sense to off Gran Torino for some drama at this point. There doesn't seem to be more he can offer to Deku as a mentor, especially with both All-Might and Sir fulfilling that type of expertise themselves. And I've been thinking for a while that his presence feels a bit unnecessary after the Field Training arc. He hasn't contributed much at all since then besides minor exposition that All-Might or Tsukauchi could have given. I only wonder how such a death would affect All-Might's internal conflict about Shigaraki descending from Nana Shimura.
    I dunno, offing Gran Torino would feel a little cheaper to me. That could obviously change depending on the execution, but as you specifically said he seems like a "safe" kill that wouldn't impact the plot too much besides just raising the stakes.

What I'd really like to see instead is Gran Torino being emotional support for All Might in some fashion. Poor Toshinori doesn't have anyone to lean on or help him through losing his powers and that's a storyline I'd really like to see explored.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    I'm actually really disappointed by this chapter. This is the classic storming the enemy base story and it feels really bland and underwhelming. Clunky exposition boxes aside, the art and action felt subpar and didn't feel like they flowed very well. Maybe Horikoshi is too busy with the anime right now and it's affecting his work on the manga.
    I'm behind you on this. This arc have a good concept behind it, but so far the execution has been lackluster.

FC 0147-0584-2654

Really? I feel the opposite, this is the first chapter in a while that got me really excited (not to say the previous ones were bad, just a bit plain).

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

I agree that the execution could be better and more unique, but I'm fine with it as is due to still being new ground treaded for the series. Especially after all the emotion/exposition-heavy chapters (and it's not like I mind having them).

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    I dunno, offing Gran Torino would feel a little cheaper to me. That could obviously change depending on the execution, but as you specifically said he seems like a "safe" kill that wouldn't impact the plot too much besides just raising the stakes.

What I'd really like to see instead is Gran Torino being emotional support for All Might in some fashion. Poor Toshinori doesn't have anyone to lean on or help him through losing his powers and that's a storyline I'd really like to see explored.
    I completely agree. It would feel too easy. Especially if neither All-Might or Deku even see him die, especially in an arc where he hasn't contributed any other role than coincidentally showing up. But Horikoshi doesn't seem too interested in expanding Gran Torino's role too much. I don't know. I hope I'm wrong, but I can still see it happening. It's hard to see Gran Torino getting away unscathed along with getting more info or something tangible on the Villain Alliance, especially while Tsukauchi is already there to deliver whatever is necessary for the plot to the heroes.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

That was more noticeable in the last chapter. The art is vastly improved here, but not to the usual extent.

This chapter was all about procedures, so it's no wonder we got so much exposition.

If he was going to off gran Torino it should have been in the aftermath of the attack on all for one. An all might punch wouldn't be so easily healed.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    That was more noticeable in the last chapter. The art is vastly improved here, but not to the usual extent.

This chapter was all about procedures, so it's no wonder we got so much exposition.
    I agree it is an improvement over the last few chapters but this is the big oayoff and it's just not that much better imo. I guess I'm taking it harder because this is one of my favorite tropes. I always go nuts for the storming the enemy castle story especially when the heroes are few in number. It's why Enies Lobby is one of my favorite arcs (despite some narrative flaws).

I agree it is an improvement over the last few chapters but this is the big oayoff and it's just not that much better imo. I guess I'm taking it harder because this is one of my favorite tropes. I always go nuts for the storming the enemy castle story especially when the heroes are few in number. It's why Enies Lobby is one of my favorite arcs (despite some narrative flaws).
    I get what you're saying, but this chapter isn't designed to be the big payoff. Half of it was spent on directions and planning, after all. To me this reads as a set-up and hype chapter for more action in the upcoming chapters. This arc has been much more slowly paced than the Hideout Raid so I wasn't expecting too much immediately.

On a related note, does anyone think that the Hideout Raid might have been a bit compressed to fit under the 100th chapter mark?

I'm fine with this chapter and that's only because other series have already done the small number storming a large stronghold thing before
    or a small group of protagonists vs antagonists. Its the normal shounen battle arc formula that's been beaten to dead. Hey, not to say I don't like that formula but the author knows his grounds and is sticking to his scenario which makes a lot more sense than a overly dramatic invasion.

Even though I liked the chapter, I'm a bit nervous about how the rest of the arc will play out. We just got eight minibosses dropped on us with almost no buildup.

Also, Eri is still bland. I'm hoping she gets some personality, otherwise any emotional scenes are going to fall flat.
    Last edited by MrBits; May 20th, 2017 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBits View Post
    Even though I liked the chapter, I'm a bit nervous about how the rest of the arc will play out. We just got eight minibosses dropped on us with almost no buildup.

Also, Eri is still bland. I'm hoping she gets some personality, otherwise any emotional scenes are going to fall flat.
    I think it's a bit unfair to call Eri bland considering that she's a child who's been imprisoned for all of her life. Is she supposed to have an interesting personality, recognizable quirks and maybe a secret hobby or two when she was presumably raised as as nothing more than material for a weapon? She'd definitely benefit from getting some development, but that's something that has to come along with the story rather than something she should have started before she knew there was such a thing as hope for her.

Horikoshi's already started a small arc for her beginning with the way she saw Deku as different. I'm hoping that he'll take it somewhere interesting.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

At least Eri isn't like the Water Midget that punches in the balls.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    I think it's a bit unfair to call Eri bland considering that she's a child who's been imprisoned for all of her life. Is she supposed to have an interesting personality, recognizable quirks and maybe a secret hobby or two when she was presumably raised as as nothing more than material for a weapon? She'd definitely benefit from getting some development, but that's something that has to come along with the story rather than something she should have started before she knew there was such a thing as hope for her.

Horikoshi's already started a small arc for her beginning with the way she saw Deku as different. I'm hoping that he'll take it somewhere interesting.
    You know what, you're right. It is pretty unfair of me to judge her overall character after only 2-3 chapters of screentime. Even so, I still think she's an uninteresting motivation (is that the right word?) right now. It doesn't help that I'm not really liking the villains either (although this chapter made me more interested in Overhaul). So most of my investment in this arc just comes from me hoping/expecting Horikoshi to deliver some good setpiece moments.

And he totally can deliver too. I remember not really liking the Hideout Raid arc until AfO showed up. After that it became one of the best arcs. I'm hoping for more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post

It'd be nice if we cared about her through having an actual character BEFORE being rescued, yes.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information