+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: General Monster Hunter Thread

Universing Misunderstandal

Default Re: General Monster Hunter Thread

It's evident that Behemoth does share a lot of similarities with Nergigante/Xeno'Jiva, and most Redditors agree that they all share the Gore Magala skeleton.
    Zinogre and Behemoth share a very similar posture (wide forearms and smaller hind legs), they seem to have a very similar upright roar and spin-in place animation, but not much else in common.

Similarities between the Gore Skeleton (GS):
    Spoiler:

Stationary weak paw swipes (Nerg, Behemoth, Xeno)
    Earth dragging arm sweep (Nerg, Behemoth)
    Knockdown animation (Gore, Nerg, Behemoth)
    Upright Stance (All)
    Roar (Nerg, Behemoth, Xeno, Zinogre?)
    Aerial Divebomb (Gore, Nerg, Xeno)
    Aerial Swipe (Gore, Xeno)
    Tail slam (Nerg, Xeno)
    Tail swerve (Gore, Nerg)
    Breath Attacks (Gore, Xeno)
    Standing into heavy arm slam into ground with big aoe (All)
    Standing then slamming both arms into ground (Gore, Behemoth, Xeno)
    Rushing with head tilted toward ground (Nerg, Behemoth)
    Death animation (Nerg, Behemoth)
    Death animation (Gore, Xeno)

Note I may have missed some attacks since Mons aren't guaranteed to use all moves in the videos I watched.

Zinogre, unlike the mons sharing the Gore Skeleton attacks, seems to reposition with most of its attacks and flips/swerves in the air.

If Nerg had the same proportions as Behemoth/Xeno its roar matches right up.
    Even with the same skeleton, there are slight deviations in a lot of the shared attacks, and each Mon has unique moves.

I don't think this discounts Zinogre and Behemoth from sharing a skeleton, but Zin was part of the GS family, it seems the MH team want Zinogre's moveset to be exclusive, as the two new types of Fanged Wyvern (Jagras/Girros/Dodogama/KT and Tobi/Odo) don't seem share any of its moves.
    0% of story complete. There's plenty of work to be done.
    What's in a name?
    Ckaolradt, Esirnuset, Basaken, Artetzun, Faunthier, Yobenzarg, Hindriak, Jwapheonis, Quinoxund
    Some kind of effort not to be the same.

They managed to datamine the last update, and found data for a Halloween Festival among other things.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Oi, I need a recomendation:

I have a switch and a 2 year old laptop (nvidia around 900gx), and I want to try a monster hunter game.

The switch one or the pc one? anyone who has played both has any insight on wich should I play?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Depends of what you are looking for.

Traditional MH game with polished mechanics, graphics, quantity over quality, and limited maps with loading times in between areas, sometimes wacky, and with a wide diversity of hunting styles. Offline and online optional quests are split in two categories. DLC content is locked in the cartridge and made available at specific dates.

Or...

An immersive experience where you get to explore immense, vast, seamless maps which are packed with a great diversity of flora and fauna. Fast actionized system that cuts down on preptime and gets players into the action quicker. Freedom to change your equipment whenever you feel like. HD graphics that fill these environments with life. Monsters are full of detail, each with its own ecology and behavior. You can customize your Player Character with the many customizable options as you feel like. You can either wander in town or go on an expedition where you are free to hunt to your heart content, etc. Quests can either be completed alone or with friends, as the barrier that split offline and online missions is gone. In addition to all the stuff I've listed, World is receiving periodical free updates that add to an already long game. MHW represents the biggest overhaul in the story of the franchise and is Capcom's best selling game with 10 million copies sold worldwide.

The recommendation is clear as day; The choice, yours.

Well, there is the issue of the quality of the PC port, which I'm not sure how stable it is by this point.

But for a newcomer, think most everyone would recommend MHW. It's my GotY for 2018 by a pretty wide margin.

My Breakdown:

MH: Generations Ultimate has more monsters, with 93 large monsters total.
    MH: World has 34 large monsters currently (PC will not have all the free DLC monsters at start), but it will likely grow a bit more, but not as much as GU.
    Note that GU has more varied species and variants of monsters known as Deviants that change fights more than standard rare species/subspecies did in the past.

MH: GU has all three ranks of difficulty, meaning it has more armor set/weapon progression than World, as well as more unique models for weapons.
    MH: W has a simpler armor skill system that allows you to get skills just for equipping a single piece instead of requiring a full set or mixed gear that plays to its strengths.
    This has the cost of removing the potential for extremely amazing rare charms, but the benefit of taking out potential negative skills and complexity (unless you live for that).

Quality of life is king in MH: World when it comes to weapon fluidity, gathering, turf wars, environmental damage and item access in combat, but with the styles of GU, you lose out on many moves for your weapons.
    Admittedly, some of those changes make it into the default weapon moves in World, but not the most impressive, satisfying ones.
    You gain the benefits of mantles in World, but they make the game exceedingly easy.

GU has less quests scaled for solo play, meaning teaming up will be more important as you progress into the higher ranks.
    Solo play will be easier in World, as all quests aside from Arena, Behemoth and Kulve Taroth have both single player and multiplayer scaling.
    You can solo everything in both games, but with G Rank will be more demanding.

A lot more information is available about the monsters (weaknesses, breakable parts, visible damage numbers, drop tables) in game if you play World and investigations make farming for parts go by so much faster.
    This can be a problem since you'll have made all the weapons/armors (which there aren't as many of) really fast and then it's how much you enjoy the game vs. the feeling of having somewhere to progress.

I feel that World loses out just a tad since it doesn't have as much diversity as GU, but you can enjoy World more casually until the next World (be it expansion or new title) is announced.
    All-in-all, both games can spoil you in ways the other can't.
    Last edited by F13rC Pulse; August 30th, 2018 at 04:52 AM.
    What's in a name?
    Ckaolradt, Esirnuset, Basaken, Artetzun, Faunthier, Yobenzarg, Hindriak, Jwapheonis, Quinoxund

Allright Worlds is the candidate, thanks guys.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

http://www.hwcompare.com/21405/gefor...adeon-r7-260x/

Mine is the 950.. and the other one is the minimun required, damn.

Yah, I'm a nomad, I either am a console gamer or I prepare to expend some money.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I'm running it on PC with a worse card (GeForce 940M) at the lowest graphics settings.
    Going to upgrade when I get to the states, but I have had a graphics crash and some stuttering before I updated my drivers.
    Have not gotten to Teostra or Elder's Recess, where some lightning (environmental and from weapons) and blast powders are said to be very detrimental to the framerate.
    What's in a name?

I'll get a second oppinion then.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by F13rC Pulse View Post
    This can be a problem since you'll have made all the weapons/armors (which there aren't as many of) really fast and then it's how much you enjoy the game vs. the feeling of having somewhere to progress.
    I mean, it took me 100+ hours to get the basic sets of everything I wanted, and I'm 200+ in and still farming some stuff. It's not like you can breeze through World. Also worth noting that in 100+ hours of playing World you're getting a whole lot more done than in an equivalent 100+ hours of MHGU, since there's so much additional farming and prep and pure grind and loading.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    I mean, it took me 100+ hours to get the basic sets of everything I wanted, and I'm 200+ in and still farming some stuff. It's not like you can breeze through World. Also worth noting that in 100+ hours of playing World you're getting a whole lot more done than in an equivalent 100+ hours of MHGU, since there's so much additional farming and prep and pure grind and loading.
    No doubt, there is still a lot of farming to do if you decide to do all the weapon branches in World.
    Though I can't deny the frontloaded materials farming of GU, you'll still have much more to do after that's done compared to World.

For my PC run, I'm beating each monster in each difficulty (Low, High, Tempered and AT when it's out) with every weapon type as I'm progressing, but running expeditions to do this I'm getting excess of every material except a few that don't drop as often (Anjanath fangs, poison/aqua/thunder sacs).
    However, I know that once you gain access to the palico plunderblade and expeditions you can be flooding in everything except rubies/gems, which is where you'll be farming most to finish weapon trees and augment gear.

Moreover, due to the skill system with no drawbacks, and general powercreep of High Rank armor (and Gamma Sets), a lot of armor is invalidated (all of Low Rank gear, almost all Alpha gear and most of the lower tier Beta gear) and it's even unnecessary to build each weapon due to how irrelevant elemental damage is for the slower weapons.
    You'll end up needing more sets from the GU system to get skill diversity since you can't just slap random decorations on any slot for instant benefits.

GU also has inherent transmog instead of lazy layered armors, so you can look snazzy with any gear without having crappy skills.
    What's in a name?

If it's either/or I would recommend World for sure. I haven't played the newer Generations but the original one was pretty fun and had a bunch of monsters. I couldn't imagine going back to the earlier games though. There's been so many quality of life improvements.

Someone beat Extreme Behemoth within the 30 minute time limit with a Hunting Horn. Anything is possible:

Ok, it didn't melt my laptop (yet) having fun, but I'm not in the flow of combat, or haven't found a weapon that I like.

The bagpipe was hilarious, but I didn't feel the impact of the hits.
    The twin daggers were speedy enough, but it took foreeever to kill things.
    The vaulting lance is very hard to hit with..
    Same with the buster sword, but at least it hits like a truck (but I should do the math and see if that 50 is actually more than the little bunch of 5-7)
    I put on the axe-sword and upgraded it, but then went to do the "kill bugs" investigation, so still haven't tested it.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Ok, it didn't melt my laptop (yet) having fun, but I'm not in the flow of combat, or haven't found a weapon that I like.

Same with the buster sword, but at least it hits like a truck (but I should do the math and see if that 50 is actually more than the little bunch of 5-7)
    I put on the axe-sword and upgraded it, but then went to do the "kill bugs" investigation, so still haven't tested it.
    Hunting Horn is a pretty simple weapon once you have your buffs up, but the different selection of buffs tied to elements/raw damage might make or break the weapon for you.
    What I really adore about Dual Blades is just going to town with elemental swings and dancing past incoming attacks and going right back in, really makes up for the lack of range.

The Lance is all about getting up in a monster's face and poking it, countering it, and power guarding through it's best moves.
    It's fairly easy to get an early mount with the jump attack, but probably not the most reliable gap closer in the lance's arsenal (unless you save the mount to climb aboard during a monster's attack).

Great Sword just feels bad until you get a window to hit the fully-charged third swing, but prepare for that to be interrupted for some reason or another. May have to through down a trap for those suckers.

Switch Axe is pretty fun, only thing dissatisfying is getting on the monster for a discharge, but it then attacks where you got on and it immediately knocks you off.
    What's in a name?

For starters, the best weapon is either the Sword & Shield, the Longsword, or the Bow.

Quote Originally Posted by F13rC Pulse View Post
    Switch Axe is pretty fun, only thing dissatisfying is getting on the monster for a discharge, but it then attacks where you got on and it immediately knocks you off.
    You can always cancel out the full discharge by releasing your finger. That way you'll do some damage while avoiding getting knocked off.

Bagpipe is hilarious, but also most useful in group settings.

Strong believer in "play whatever feels fun" when it comes to this game, but recommend taking a look at some Youtube weapon tutorials (Arekkz and Rurikhan both have good ones), just because every weapon has some quirk to it that isn't intuitively obvious to new players. I personally main Charge Blade with occasional Dual, and lord knows I would have had no clue had to run CB without watching a few videos. CB, btw, is a pretty great solo weapon, too.

Also, while I did a lot of stuff solo, don't be afraid to throw out some SOS flares, especially when grinding. Game really shines in multiplayer, and the community by and large is much more positive and helpful than others. In 200+ hours, I've had two toxic experiences, both when I accidentally unslept a critter with a weak attack (Charge Blade=slow animations with fairly complicated setup, so it's pretty easy to fry your brain temporarily). But for the most part, even team wipes have been fun, and there's something great about the exchange of "thumb's-up" stickers at the end of a successful hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    For starters, the best weapon is either the Sword & Shield, the Longsword, or the Bow.

You can always cancel out the full discharge by releasing your finger. That way you'll do some damage while avoiding getting knocked off.
    I'd add Lance to that list, since it has the simplest chain of attacks, easy access to monster weak spots, a plethora of repositioning options, and its shield is very strong/versatile.
    I feel the SnS is very awkward to use since its range is limited, but being able to pull anything out of your slinger/item pouch balances it out.

Will have to remember that the next time I get into that situation and have the time to react.
    What's in a name?

I don't want to go full youtube tutorial style yet, let the game try to teach it to me first, but I'll be aware of that fact.

I won't be able to play today, but I'll keep on testing weapons, after the swordaxe I prepped up a bow for use.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I don't want to go full youtube tutorial style yet, let the game try to teach it to me first, but I'll be aware of that fact.

I won't be able to play today, but I'll keep on testing weapons, after the swordaxe I prepped up a bow for use.
    Good way to go. Game gives you plenty of info to get you on your way and enjoying yourself. Just think it's a little, uh, slight in some of the advanced mechanics.

Autumn Festival begins September 20th. I expect a big update as it almost coincides with the TGS.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information