+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: General Monster Hunter Thread

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Default Re: General Monster Hunter Thread

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/05/2...ntendo-switch/

Monster Hunter XX is coming to the Switch. More details will be revealed at the Monster Hunter Summit Tournament in Sapporo on May 27th. Both YouTube and Fresh will be hosting the tournament starting 12:00 JST
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post
    https://mynintendonews.com/2017/05/2...ntendo-switch/

Monster Hunter XX is coming to the Switch. More details will be revealed at the Monster Hunter Summit Tournament in Sapporo on May 27th. Both YouTube and Fresh will be hosting the tournament starting 12:00 JST
    It appears I can't delay my Switch purchase any further after this fantastic news.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

So let's get this thread out of it's dark whole!

Who else is sooooooooooooooooo hyped like me for Monste Hunter World coming out next week?
    3DS FC: 2707-2567-8190

I was.

Then I played the beta.

Eh.

I always find it baffling this thread isn't more active. Monster Hunter is one of the best videogame sagas I've had the pleasure of playing, and MHW is already shapping to become the game of the year, IMO.

Which is why I skipped on the beta this time. The visuals are enough to make me drool, but the full game is the way to go.

Stranger in a Strange Land lr-hr-rh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I was.

Then I played the beta.

Eh.
    Oh shit really? I've been keeping half an eye on this game (having never played any of the other games in the series) after some of the gameplay trailers made it look like something that could scratch my "fairly mindless, open-world, action RPG with a decent character progression system" itch after BoTW kinda shat the bed in that regard. What stood out to you as being eh about the beta?
    Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I was.

Then I played the beta.

Eh.
    :O What was wrong with the beta?
    I imagine it to be more or less similar to MH4 (with new world etc), so the game shouldn't dissapoint? Also it might not have that many new Features?

It's a definitly buy for me, but I didn't have time for the betas. But they made a 3rd beta for this Weekend, and I will definitely Play it with some friends now (if it's possible in the beta) :D

I will give the Charge Axt/sword and the insect weapon a try <3 Always played with the Long sword... time to try something new <3
    3DS FC: 2707-2567-8190

The beta is no different than in previous entries. You get to choose between three monsters to hunt. Only this time, because of the seamless maps and freedom of exploration, you can also opt to hunt any other monster that isn't part of the mission.

Also, you have probably chosen the worst time to play the beta, Kroggar, as they are throwing in a buffed up version of the flagship monster with a 15 min. time limit to complete the mission, lol

But really, the game is a must for anyone who wants to experience a living ecosystem and thrilling hunts first-hand.

Monster Hunter either sucks in your soul or you're put off by the series because it is a tad monotonous at the start (from the ones I played on 3DS)

I might actually activate the PS+ that I bought forever ago lol. Time for hundreds of hours to disappear from my life.

Quote Originally Posted by lr-hr-rh View Post
    Oh shit really? I've been keeping half an eye on this game (having never played any of the other games in the series) after some of the gameplay trailers made it look like something that could scratch my "fairly mindless, open-world, action RPG with a decent character progression system" itch after BoTW kinda shat the bed in that regard. What stood out to you as being eh about the beta?
    I always hear that that the games are all about learning monster patterns and having to have strategies and lay traps, and target some limbs extensively to cripple it and such, and that sounds really cool. And its been highly recommended by opinions I trust. But when I played the beta, (both for the new ps4 game and the old demo on the psp years ago) I just don't see any of that, it feels entirely like just finding the monster and then button mashing on it til it runs away, chasing it, then button mashing it some more. The weapon variety didn't do much for me either.

I don't know if its because the beta overpowers you and underpowers the monsters, or if its a completely different game when you have to start out with complete crap items and armor, but in the demo it just feels kind of mindless, and the only real strategy needed is "you have to find the monster quickly or time will run out before you can spend 15 minutes endlessly whittling on it." So I wonder if its just me so I watch some youtube videos of other people playing and it seems like the same thing, the only strategy I see is "everyone equip hammers and stun it a bunch... and this still takes 20 minutes." Like, is the difference that the demo forces a 20 minute time limit compared to the actual game having an hour?

I want to fall in love with the game but every demo I've played just never does it for me. I just feel like Horizon Zero Dawn did the exact same idea but better and with more varied equipment. And Dark Souls and Nioh give me boss patterns and challenging combat and big world maps and other stuff to do and they just feel a bit better. And if I want mindless hack and slash I have musou games to go to.

I always hear that that the games are all about learning monster patterns and having to have strategies and lay traps, and target some limbs extensively to cripple it and such, and that sounds really cool. And its been highly recommended by opinions I trust. But when I played the beta, (both for the new ps4 game and the old demo on the psp years ago) I just don't see any of that, it feels entirely like just finding the monster and then button mashing on it til it runs away, chasing it, then button mashing it some more. The weapon variety didn't do much for me either.

I don't know if its because the beta overpowers you and underpowers the monsters, or if its a completely different game when you have to start out with complete crap items and armor, but in the demo it just feels kind of mindless, and the only real strategy needed is "you have to find the monster quickly or time will run out before you can spend 15 minutes endlessly whittling on it." So I wonder if its just me so I watch some youtube videos of other people playing and it seems like the same thing, the only strategy I see is "everyone equip hammers and stun it a bunch... and this still takes 20 minutes." Like, is the difference that the demo forces a 20 minute time limit compared to the actual game having an hour?

I want to fall in love with the game but every demo I've played just never does it for me. I just feel like Horizon Zero Dawn did the exact same idea but better and with more varied equipment. And Dark Souls and Nioh give me boss patterns and challenging combat and big world maps and other stuff to do and they just feel a bit better. And if I want mindless hack and slash I have musou games to go to.
    I don't know if its because the beta
    That's correct. The full product won't be anything like the beta. Here you're given default equipment, and the monsters are heavily nerfed. See the Anjanath? That thing one-shots you in the full game, if you don't wear the proper equipment. You are also fixed to a reduced time limit that in the full game is 50 minutes long at max (25 at the min), and once you finish the assigned mission you are free to explore further until you get tired. You will also be able to travel to other environments as soon as they are available.

As for the monsters, in addition to the nerf they got, what you've been seen is just the tip. There are monsters like the Great Jagras with simple patterns, and then there're things like the Rathalos who can give you a run for your money if you're not prepared. And don't get me started on the highly intelligent species. Targeting their vulnerable spots will work at your favor. For example, cutting off their tails will reduce the range of the attacks they perform with that body part.

But you are wrong in thinking this is anything like Horizon or Dark Souls. First of all, strategies are not mandatory. You are free to hunt the monster however you feel like, be it the fast way, which is button mashing and making sure you don't hit back (which is a masochist strategy only people who are too impatient will go for), or skillfully using the surroundings and the stuff you have and/or find around to your own advantage. In the end what you have to do is pretty simple: to hunt down your target and fullfill your mission. It may feel a tad monotonous at first, but trust me, every monster is unique, and you'll soon see as you progress through the game how your repertory of strategies further expands, allowing you to create very elaborated, like luring a monster to another, or kicking that frog so it releases its paralyzing pheromones, etc.

Stranger in a Strange Land lr-hr-rh's Avatar

Ok awesome. Thanks Nekketsu and Robby for the info. Sounds like the game is still worth keeping an eye on to see how the player reviews fall with the complete gameplay available (which is a good strategy in general I guess).
    Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/n...l/e180129.html

(Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter: World for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One*1 has shipped 5 million units worldwide (including digital download sales)

Sets series record for most units shipped in first three days.

Looks like Japanese companies that really go out there and try to compete with major Western titles have been having successes.

We also saw this with Zelda, Mario and FFXV as well as the likes of From with Dark Souls.

This game rules, btw. Great to play with my brothers (though multiplayer setup is frustratingly convoluted at the moment) and every major fight tends to take two or three unexpected turns. It's slow, but it's a nice, pleasant slow.

Universing Misunderstandal

I still haven't gotten out of the Ancient Forest.
    First I wanted to overcome Anjanath knowing my gear was really weak and not taking time to build equipment up, but decided I needed a slightly stronger weapon so he wouldn't run away and I wouldn't get carted so many times.

Then I spent so much time looking for endemic creatures to capture.
    Kept running into spider nets after remembering they had spiders in them, took a while to find one I didn't just plow through to catch one.

After the Kula Yaku spotlight, Pukei-Pukei and Rathalos started showing up on expedition mode and I've hunted/captured Anjanath/Jagras/Pukei/Kula-Yaku and made the armor pieces I wanted.
    In fact, I now prefer capturing to hunting ever since I saw the tooltip that it completes hunt quests (I think this may not be the case for the bounties), just love watching them sleep back at base.

Only need to capture Rathalos before I'll move on, probably will have an easier time once I get that treetop base since catching up to him on foot takes so much time.
    0% of story complete. There's plenty of work to be done.
    What's in a name?
    Ckaolradt, Esirnuset, Basaken, Artetzun, Faunthier, Yobenzarg, Hindriak, Jwapheonis, Quinoxund
    Some kind of effort not to be the same.

Street Fighter's Ryu and Sakura are going to be playable characters.

Uhm... wha?

Horizon's Aloy made sense but this...?

I mean, they've already announced MegaMan is going to be in it: https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/9/16...world-mega-man

It's fine. The game really doesn't take itself very seriously, especially in everything regarding the palicos, which are hilarious if you pay attention to them.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    I mean, they've already announced MegaMan is going to be in it: https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/9/16...world-mega-man
    ......whut.

That's just freaky.

The game looks so good. I'm sure Ill get it eventually. I just wish the demos hadn't completely un-enthused me. Everyone says the demos aren't representative of the actual game at all, and I believe it... but I was REALLY bored by the beta.

......whut.

That's just freaky.

The game looks so good. I'm sure Ill get it eventually. I just wish the demos hadn't completely un-enthused me. Everyone says the demos aren't representative of the actual game at all, and I believe it... but I was REALLY bored by the beta.
    It's a weird one to explain, since it goes against my usual patterns in what I like in games. I'll forgive a game a host of story or graphical sins, for example, if everything works together smoothly, and this is...not that game at all. Everything is clunky. Multiplayer is great, but it's super-clunky to progress as a group. There's all kinds of customization available, but it's very clunky to manage inventory or keep upgrades sorted out. There's a lot of walking from Point A to Point B then to Point A.

But sometimes, it really clicks. Had a moment last night where I was getting my ass handed to me by a big dinosaur, ran away, and then had to hide in a corner as an even bigger winged dude swooped down and had a pronounced tiff with the original monster. It's the unpredictable nature of it all as well as the dozens of ways to handle a particular hunt that's fun.

Also, occasionally, it does stuff like this [that's my brother in the video]:

Anyways, again, I'm loving it, but I could totally see you being bored or hating it and thinking it's a totally justified opinion. Ain't for everyone, and 4 times out of 5, wouldn't be for me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information