+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: General Monster Hunter Thread

Default Re: General Monster Hunter Thread

It's just... it looks and feels and seems like it should absolutely be up my alley. I love the designs. I've loved musou games, Dark Souls, and Horizon. But I've tried the demo on three different games on three different systems over the course of years now (PSP. Wii, PS4) and... nothing.

Like, if the demos are really that consistently bad and not selling on the *actual* gameplay at all then... why are they so misleading? I then watch other people playing the game and get sort of the same impression... but then I've consistently heard high recommendations for the franchise, I want to jump on it, but.... Arrrgh.

Oh well. Maybe when it goes on sale in two or three months. I still have to play the Horizon DLC anyway.

I'm hooked on this game even though at the start it's challenging and there's so much to do. I'm not sure what I want to focus on. Do I just want to gather materials for armor and weapons? Do I want to just research? Do I want to practice arm wrestling? Lol.

Universing Misunderstandal

Finally capped my Rathalos and moved onto the Wildspire Wastes, where I immediately captured the Rathian and Barroth when they showed up.
    To my dismay the storymode seems to have covered the captured monster platform with a piece of Zorah slag and I definitely want to see it when I finally subdue Diablos...

Got the patterns of the Raths down and now only die if I get stun locked.
    Debating whether the anti-stun of Barroth or no-knockback during jumps of Rathalos boots will suit my lance playstyle more, since I can't get both atm.
    Probably going to get the Rathalos boots since that maxes at a single point and I love to charge and mount the big guys.
    0% of story complete. There's plenty of work to be done.
    What's in a name?
    Ckaolradt, Esirnuset, Basaken, Artetzun, Faunthier, Yobenzarg, Hindriak, Jwapheonis, Quinoxund
    Some kind of effort not to be the same.

New players talking to Monster Hunter veterans about obvious weird design issues.

My only real gripe is how confusing grouping together with people know is. Like...Why does it have to be so wildly different from.every other game? Why can we only see each other in the gathering hub?

Like we figured out how to group for assignments, investigations and whatever. But if one person was confused it made us basically all have to start the group over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    My only real gripe is how confusing grouping together with people know is. Like...Why does it have to be so wildly different from.every other game? Why can we only see each other in the gathering hub?

Like we figured out how to group for assignments, investigations and whatever. But if one person was confused it made us basically all have to start the group over again.
    This part is really bad. I'm guessing Capcom thought it would ruin immersion to have cutscenes where only one character model showed up or something, but maybe, just maybe, it ruins immersion more that story quests require my party of four to start the same quest, get to the point where all the cutscenes have been seen, then have three of us quit and rejoin the other person's quest for co-op.

It's not really all that bad once we got the hang of it, but it is a stupid, stupid hoop through which to jump.

I wonder if it's something that can be fixed. Just keep it simple. Cause it's like...Are we supposed to just be playing a solo game? And replay with friend for faster hunting of parts? Why not just have it set so that if you are further along in the game you can opt to rewatch the cutscenes too. Or just be kicked back to a camp site to wait for the person who hadn't seen them yet? They scenes haven't been that long..

Felled two Jyuratodus. That mudfish resembles Lavasioth only in appearance, its attack pattern is a whole different story.

So far I still haven't stumbled upon a wall, although damn Diablos one-shotted me. But is to be expected, it's Diablos.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Diablos and Tobi Kadachi are next on my hunt list now that I've cleared the Zorah slag and captured a couple of Jyuratodos.
    Apparently HP armor skills now stack with Nutrients/Max Potions unlike previous titles, so that might help against the heavy hitters, unless you're already low.
    Gotta get that prehunt on.
    What's in a name?
    Ckaolradt, Esirnuset, Basaken, Artetzun, Faunthier, Yobenzarg, Hindriak, Jwapheonis, Quinoxund

There's nothing like fighting high rank monsters with low rank armor. You can survive two hits or maybe three if your max health is high enough.

The Palicos seem incredibly durable this time around. But I'm not complaining. There's a bunch of conveniences in this game compared to others. Unlimited whetstones, movement while healing, stamina drops considerably slower running outside of battle, separate bags for usable items and materials/resources, no need for paintballs, mining minerals is way faster, and you can auto-combine certain items as you find them.

I'm not sure if I could go back to the older games now. Jaime's picture is pretty accurate

Quote Originally Posted by NateRich View Post
    There's nothing like fighting high rank monsters with low rank armor. You can survive two hits or maybe three if your max health is high enough.

The Palicos seem incredibly durable this time around. But I'm not complaining. There's a bunch of conveniences in this game compared to others. Unlimited whetstones, movement while healing, stamina drops considerably slower running outside of battle, separate bags for usable items and materials/resources, no need for paintballs, mining minerals is way faster, and you can auto-combine certain items as you find them.
    I'm pretty sure I started getting 2-3 shot in MH4U when I wasn't on board with upgrading/getting new armor beyond the starter set.
    Just had to find the right monster, which was Tetsucabra.
    Made his set after I beat him, but without my lance's shield I immediately lost a big chunk of my health to his charging attacks.

I do like that there is strategy in acquiring Sushifish and Whetfish now compared to regular pots and whetstones, and not getting 2v1'd by two large monsters every time they are in the same zone with you feels better than them sometimes hitting each other trying to hit you.
    What's in a name?

That flipping Pukei-Pukei quest took me 40 flippin minutes because the Anjanath and a Great Jagras kept running into it's territory. I'd have to run away and I'd lose track of it. Found the bastard taking a nap at one point.

It's a good thing some of the most threatening-looking species are not hostile towards the player when they sight you. Although some may turn against you, if you stay around their turf for too long.

With that said, now I'm playing MHW, it would be difficult if not outright impossible for me to go back to the past gens. It's simply impossible to look back now and not think: "Man, it feels like I'm almost playing an entirely different game".
    Last edited by Nekketsu; February 6th, 2018 at 11:36 AM.

I definitely get that feeling when I play lance on MH4U.
    All the advances in that moveset alone have me quietly thinking what I'd be doing differently if I had the options I did in World.
    I could go on about how all the little things add up, but as long as I'm not making the little mistakes that end up in an immediate cart, I can still have fun with it.

But it kinda makes me want some of those mons to get DLC'd to World so I can give them a taste of the new lance.
    Here Khezu Khezu...
    Last edited by F13rC Pulse; February 6th, 2018 at 09:36 PM.
    What's in a name?

Just captured alive my first Odogaron with the Rath CB. Easily the best 17 minutes of my life. Elemental weaponry is a gorgeous display of visual effects.

How are you guys liking the new monsters? Paolumu is so ridiculous, you can tell they fun with that design. I wouldn't be surprised if it returns in all future games. Tobi-Kadachi is a good addition since he's the lovechild of Zinogre and Nargacuga. But to me, Tobi gets overshadowed by Odogaron. They both check the same boxes for fast monsters, but Odogaron just does it better. I can't even think of a good comparison monster for him. He's like a faster, competent Tigrex. So nothing like Tigrex Legiana is somewhere between Rathian and Rathalos as far as flight time, but is otherwise alright. I've fought it quite a few times since its armor bonus gives more quest rewards so maybe I've gotten way too used to it already.

The returning monsters I've seen so far are all basically the same although Diablos seems to burrow a lot more than I remember. The one exception has been Kirin. It changed quite a bit and even gets an over-the-top Rajang mode! Kirin was always able to get enraged but there wasn't much of a difference visually. It actually looks intimidating for the first time ever.

First HR quest. It's just a Pukei-Pukei, what could go wrong?

My last words before I carted twice.

https://twitter.com/MH_official_JP/s...33207124541440

6 million shipped now, fastest selling Capcom game.

Game looks reeeeally good. I'm close to buying it, but I'm worried it'll be a huge time commitment. My time is scarce right now

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information