+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 108 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2160

Thread: Oda's Interviews

Default Re: Oda's Interviews

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    A constant battle in Odas mind between the desire to finally retire and spend some quality time, and do his own magnum opus justice.
    Makes me wonder how much awesome stuff Oda's decided to leave out of the manga in oreder to finish it in a timely fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Makes me wonder how much awesome stuff Oda's decided to leave out of the manga in oreder to finish it in a timely fashion
    Mostly fight scenes, I would think. Going way back the clearest example I can think of that seems obvious is the General zombies on Thriller Bark. Whole bunch of cool unique designs, get a chapter ending cliffhanger... Oars just stomps on them and they're all dealt with which cuts four months off the arc. Plus the zombies that had ZOro and Sanji's shadows were just sort of... dealt with.

On Fishman Island there were a bunch of opportunities to hype Hody and his gang by showing them overwhelming weaker guys, including the princes... but instead that was all left offscreen and then they all got stomped really fast in about 2 chapters. Or Robin looking for a Poneglyph there didn't show any research beign done, she just found where it was and arrived there.

Stuff like that seems like where the cuts happen most often, and Odas done that a lot since the new world. These are things where if the anime was really on the ball they could fill in and flesh out, but the anime tends to grab a character gag and beat their joke into the ground instead, like with Hancock or Buggy. Rather than really fleshing out the world or expanding on the offscreen battles.

This is also why we haven't gotten full crew fights since Enies Lobby, (And Alabasta before that) because giving every single member of the crew a 2 or 3 chapter extended battle takes a solid year So Oda's gonna save that for the big finale.
    Last edited by Robby; September 15th, 2019 at 09:21 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I just wants to end it before I die.
    I feel the same, about another manga.....
    On topic, i always thought 1300-1400 chapters were about correct guess of this story's length. I also think there will be at least another arc after( or before) Elbaf. Oda may put Sanji's 'all blue' in a mini arc.A light-hearted arc before the final storm.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    As long as you do not feel something is clearly lacking, i do not mind it that much, just combining things to save time has already backfired...

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Mostly fight scenes, I would think. Going way back the clearest example I can think of that seems obvious is the General zombies on Thriller Bark. Whole bunch of cool unique designs, get a chapter ending cliffhanger... Oars just stomps on them and they're all dealt with which cuts four months off the arc. Plus the zombies that had ZOro and Sanji's shadows were just sort of... dealt with.

On Fishman Island there were a bunch of opportunities to hype Hody and his gang by showing them overwhelming weaker guys, including the princes... but instead that was all left offscreen and then they all got stomped really fast in about 2 chapters. Or Robin looking for a Poneglyph there didn't show any research beign done, she just found where it was and arrived there.

Stuff like that seems like where the cuts happen most often, and Odas done that a lot since the new world.

This is also why we haven't gotten full crew fights since Enies Lobby, (And Alabasta before that) because giving every single member of the crew a 2 or 3 chapter extended battle takes a solid year So Oda's gonna save that for the big finale.
    I honestly feel post time skip hasn't had enough good fights, I don't want to be that jackass who only wants battles continuously and no story, but I feel Oda's dropping the ball a little by trying to save to much time, although I do understand why he's doing it, it's just irksome

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    As long as you do not feel something is clearly lacking, i do not mind it that much, just combining things to save time has already backfired...
    Story wise I think everything's going good, but like I said above I wouldn't mind a few more fights here and there

You say that, but whenever the story hits a stretch of actual fighting people always complain that tis slowed to a crawl. Dresserossa was a major example, and people got annoyed with Luffy vs. Katakuri. It's a shonen battle manga so its part of the DNA but...
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    You say that, but whenever the story hits a stretch of actual fighting people always complain that tis slowed to a crawl. Dresserossa was a major example, and people got annoyed with Luffy vs. Katakuri. It's a shonen battle manga so its part of the DNA but...
    There was only one real fight at Whole Cake Island, unless you count the chase scene, and I loved that! and Dressrosa's main problem was that for the most part the straw hats weren't the ones fighting, and Zoro's fight was to easy but Franky vs Senor Pink was probably one of Dressrosa's best parts (granted that had more to do with his back story)

then again I started at the very end of Thriller Bark, so I wasn't reading chapter to chapter on Albasta, skepeia or Enies Lobby, so I'll have to take your word for it that people got tired of the one on one's

I have a feeling that in this part 3 of Wano were finally gonna get our awaited one on one match ups, so I'll soon see whether I enjoy them or not..... hopefully

I've been arguing against the idea of there being a million years to go, but my first reaction to Oda's comment somewhere a few dozen pages back was "oh, he's lowballing it, more like 6 - 8." Nairo's new comment I think backs that up. Of course Oda was being optimistic with the number, but the crux of his comment was definitely that the endgame is within sight. I'd be surprised if there's anything besides Elbaf and the finale in terms of major arcs to go. All these loose plot threads left will be made to tie into one of those arcs either as a main plot or a subplot, one way or another. At least, that's what feels right from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I've been arguing against the idea of there being a million years to go, but my first reaction to Oda's comment somewhere a few dozen pages back was "oh, he's lowballing it, more like 6 - 8." Nairo's new comment I think backs that up. Of course Oda was being optimistic with the number, but the crux of his comment was definitely that the endgame is within sight. I'd be surprised if there's anything besides Elbaf and the finale in terms of major arcs to go. All these loose plot threads left will be made to tie into one of those arcs either as a main plot or a subplot, one way or another. At least, that's what feels right from my perspective.
    Im just excited to be here at this moment. Wano is certainly bringing us to the crux of the story (Oda always talked about how the Yonko were always supposed to be the main obstacles before he opened up the world and added hundreds of other characters) and will be the first major arc where a Yonko will likely fall. How does something so huge affect the OP world? A shichibukai can be replaced easily, but we've seen what happens when one dies. What happens when not only Kaido, but eventually, Big Mom goes down too?

Not to mention the Abolishment of the Shichibukai system and its effects, Vegapunk's weapons being proper replacements, Weevil's monstrous strength being problematic (or beneficial?) to Luffy/Marco, the WG making its move with the Marines, the outcome of the Reverie as a whole (REALLY hoping 956 gives us a taste of it) and much more.

This truly is the most exciting time to be an OP fan if I have to say. So much stuff is closing in and yes, while it may take upwards of another 6-10 years to tell it all, it will be worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Gia Sado View Post
    Im just excited to be here at this moment. Wano is certainly bringing us to the crux of the story (Oda always talked about how the Yonko were always supposed to be the main obstacles before he opened up the world and added hundreds of other characters) and will be the first major arc where a Yonko will likely fall. How does something so huge affect the OP world? A shichibukai can be replaced easily, but we've seen what happens when one dies. What happens when not only Kaido, but eventually, Big Mom goes down too?

Not to mention the Abolishment of the Shichibukai system and its effects, Vegapunk's weapons being proper replacements, Weevil's monstrous strength being problematic (or beneficial?) to Luffy/Marco, the WG making its move with the Marines, the outcome of the Reverie as a whole (REALLY hoping 956 gives us a taste of it) and much more.

This truly is the most exciting time to be an OP fan if I have to say. So much stuff is closing in and yes, while it may take upwards of another 6-10 years to tell it all, it will be worth the wait.
    Absolutely agreed! We're at the end of nearly a decade of planning and buildup and the consequences are going to snowball into something beyond what anyone can predict at this point. I think that inevitable acceleration is where Oda's getting his hopes for a quick finish from, because whether it actually takes a long time or not, that's going to make it feel like we've suddenly picked up a lot of speed. Can't wait to see what he does with it all.

I say at least 15 years...

What any fan wants and what is stated in interviews has mostly differed from what is happening in the story. To try and estimate if it'll finish at a specific chapter number (1400, 1650, 2000) or year (5 or 10 years from now) is a bad guessing game. Especially when the mangaka has fluctuated his stance throughout the years. There is no fixed rate when it comes to percentages either. X amount of chapters doesn't equate to a certain percentage and neither does time in the story and definitely not time as readers.

This is why dismissing things left open is crucial. Whenever I see people do this, it's usually based on "I want it to end b4 I die" or "___ said this in an interview". Neither are reliable and you can bring up that the writer and those close to him know more than us, but why do we continue to get information that is either inaccurate or just false?

The most reliable source for when the story ends is the actual story. Yonko Saga has formally introduced us to the 2 lesser known Yonko, Im, and a deeper look into the PG concept (those who make the text, amount, some locations, importance of Rio, etc). While these are very much endgame factors, we also have to question why we are

- still learning about Haki and DF applications that are almost common knowledge
    - seeing that the crew is obviously not in the same weight class as a Yonko crew and better yet the WG
    - barely venturing the other 3 Blues, but being informed about the happenings and history of them
    - digging into the Underworld, bit by bit
    - still in the dark about the D. clan, Uranus
    - still getting new members, while getting arcs that are mostly devoted to simultaneously fleshing out backstory and progressing current members? Is this only for certain members (just Sanji and Zoro)? Will the new members get this treatment? Can 2 or 3 members get this treatment in 1 arc (Nami + Franky, the blanks for Jinbei + Brook b4 Rumbar Pirates)? Can progression/backstory subplots get bundled with dreams being fulfilled in an arc and what are the chances of this getting rushed?

This isn't all and those who pay attention to the story know this. None of these things listed can be omitted or dismissed as "well it's not that important". When I question these things, it brings me to the conclusion that after this Yonko Saga, the story's pacing is going to slow down and the crew will grow through experiences that are more of their pace before returning to any Yonko antagonist. I think of when it's brought up that Shanks returned to the New World after making a name, Roger having to go through multiple voyages, how inexperienced and outclassed the crew is by their contemporaries and predecessors, not being acquainted by common tools and practices, etc and have to say that this isn't over. How long will it be before they return to endgame antagonist, after gaining experience, I just don't know. I do know that the last time they kept meeting their match (CP9, Moria, Kuma, ID, Paramount War), they had to take a break to grow individually. Based on this current pattern, I think that going back to a slower pace makes more sense than a timeskip.

Discovered Stowaway ScotchInformer's Avatar

" -things. Sugita proceeds to reveal that, while he was One Piece's editor, Oda revealed that One Piece was something of a deliberate subversion of Dragon Ball through having a vastly more complex story and characters, while Dragon Ball is a manga infamous for its simplicity. "

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

" -that Oda's legendary tendency to seed plot developments in through minor details was an influence on keeping the manga interesting, as was making sure the manga had consistent cliffhangers throughout.

I'm going to transcribe the last part to the best of my ability. "

Thanks to Yuma

Hi,

Where are @hiktoj and the other provider who don't say anything for this chapter?

Hell... it's supposed to be a great chapter.

One of the biggest mistakes people make while estimating the future is they predict the future based on the past events. It seems logical to do so, however, they fail to realize that the circumstances are no more the same as they were in the past events, and hence the future is somewhat different.

People fail to take into consideration the unforeseen events that might take place, the assumption that One Piece will have steady timeline with delivering 3 chapters per month being one. The possibility that Oda might add new elements as we go on is another. When you take these things into consideration, you can see the story easily going for another 15 years. This is the story Oda has put his life in it, he won't try to hurry up just to finish it. Instead he will try to make it even more grand.

Another reason is, Humans are not good at predicting how things will work out in the future. Oda has repeatedly been trying to say that it will take 5 years because that's how far he can see things in his own life. It's pretty reasonable for him to estimate that the story will go on for another 5 years. Let me ask you, how far ahead can you see things in your own life? 2-3 years maybe? If things are very stable you might be able to see more than this. But seeing more than 5 years would mean you must have story/content/ideas in your head which will take more than 5 years to publish, by now we all know that's not the case. As the story progresses Oda gets new ideas and he adds them as he goes along, these are not the things he sees ahead of time. The base story line remains the same but new ideas keep on emerging and he keeps on adding them thereby prolonging the series by even more years.

If Oda gets new ideas he should preserve those for some self-cointained stories to write,drawn and pubblish a few years after the end of One Piece. Kinda like Toriyama did. He should focus on finishing One Piece in 7-8 years. I think the manga ending around the second half of 2027 in occasion of the 30th anniversary would be a cool way to end the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    What any fan wants and what is stated in interviews has mostly differed from what is happening in the story. To try and estimate if it'll finish at a specific chapter number (1400, 1650, 2000) or year (5 or 10 years from now) is a bad guessing game. Especially when the mangaka has fluctuated his stance throughout the years. There is no fixed rate when it comes to percentages either. X amount of chapters doesn't equate to a certain percentage and neither does time in the story and definitely not time as readers.

This is why dismissing things left open is crucial. Whenever I see people do this, it's usually based on "I want it to end b4 I die" or "___ said this in an interview". Neither are reliable and you can bring up that the writer and those close to him know more than us, but why do we continue to get information that is either inaccurate or just false?

The most reliable source for when the story ends is the actual story. Yonko Saga has formally introduced us to the 2 lesser known Yonko, Im, and a deeper look into the PG concept (those who make the text, amount, some locations, importance of Rio, etc). While these are very much endgame factors, we also have to question why we are

- still learning about Haki and DF applications that are almost common knowledge
    - seeing that the crew is obviously not in the same weight class as a Yonko crew and better yet the WG
    - barely venturing the other 3 Blues, but being informed about the happenings and history of them
    - digging into the Underworld, bit by bit
    - still in the dark about the D. clan, Uranus
    - still getting new members, while getting arcs that are mostly devoted to simultaneously fleshing out backstory and progressing current members? Is this only for certain members (just Sanji and Zoro)? Will the new members get this treatment? Can 2 or 3 members get this treatment in 1 arc (Nami + Franky, the blanks for Jinbei + Brook b4 Rumbar Pirates)? Can progression/backstory subplots get bundled with dreams being fulfilled in an arc and what are the chances of this getting rushed?

This isn't all and those who pay attention to the story know this. None of these things listed can be omitted or dismissed as "well it's not that important". When I question these things, it brings me to the conclusion that after this Yonko Saga, the story's pacing is going to slow down and the crew will grow through experiences that are more of their pace before returning to any Yonko antagonist. I think of when it's brought up that Shanks returned to the New World after making a name, Roger having to go through multiple voyages, how inexperienced and outclassed the crew is by their contemporaries and predecessors, not being acquainted by common tools and practices, etc and have to say that this isn't over. How long will it be before they return to endgame antagonist, after gaining experience, I just don't know. I do know that the last time they kept meeting their match (CP9, Moria, Kuma, ID, Paramount War), they had to take a break to grow individually. Based on this current pattern, I think that going back to a slower pace makes more sense than a timeskip.
    Dude you give me wings!

Finally someone besides me put the balls over the table. Holy shit.

Man i think after this last chapter its crazy to think how and where characters will go before the end. Things like CP-0 being major factors in every arc, the fact of the former shichibukai and where they head, what happened to everyone important at the Reverie (Alabasta, Sai/Leo, Sabo, Kuma, Bonnie, etc)

Where all of this is leading idk, but there's just so much more to come and I'm extrenely excited by the idea of many things and storylines colliding. This last chapter just made one piece that much more exciting. Nuts.

And where the hell do the Rox pirates fit? That's what i want to know the most

Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionaryOfThe6Paths View Post
    And where the hell do the Rox pirates fit? That's what i want to know the most
    Kaido flashback i presume

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information