- Memphis
    - Tahlequa
    - Zion National Park
    - Haida Gwaii
    - Navajo reservation
    - Taos Pueblo
    - General tour of the old Puebloan centers
    - New Orleans

I'm on Long Island, which is functionally a vacation home for asshole stockbrokers and WASPs from NYC. Westhampton is a lovely place, though (fucking terrible in August, avoid it like the plague.)

Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Cyan's Travel Hit List:

- Gettysburg
    - Nashville
    - Memphis
    - Tahlequa
    - Zion National Park
    - Haida Gwaii
    - Navajo reservation
    - Taos Pueblo
    - New Orleans

I'm on Long Island, which is functionally a vacation home for asshole stockbrokers and WASPs from NYC. Westhampton is a lovely place, though (fucking terrible in August, avoid it like the plague.)
    Long Island in my experience is too flat and a little suburban sprawly at least around Mineola and Hempstead (where I've been outside Queens).

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Long Island in my experience is too flat and a little suburban sprawly at least around Mineola and Hempstead (where I've been outside Queens).
    Oh yeah Nassau county is basically a giant suburb. Levittown and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    That´s Texas?

I always thought it was... drier...
    Texas is the length of 1/3 of the country. WHile in popular media its presented as just a desert with cowboys, its got grass, lakes, forests, and all the good stuff in quantity. Plains, hills, mountains, beaches... we got it all.

I'm a bit disappointed with myself that, with all the money I make, I've never really traveled anywhere (except on business) and I've never left the country. Of course, if I did go somewhere, I'd like to go with somebody else to share the experience, and the only people I could take are maybe my mom or my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    I'm a villager at heart, so I feel most comfortable in those environments.
    Heh refering to oneself as a villager just sounds so damn cute.

Other than that, I've been thinking of the baltic countries
    I've heard good things about Riga. Lots of beautiful old buildings, and it ain't to hard on the wallet.

A friend of mine has been bugging me to go for a weekend trip over there.

As for where I live... close by is an area called Österlen. It's the very, very, very, very southern-eastern tip of sweden (south-eastern scania, to be exact) and it has some beauitful scenery. It's not spectacular or world famous, but if you like nature, walking and relaxing places I'd recommend it. There should be several nature reserves, probably a few ruins, and the National park Stens Huvud. There is also the town of Kivik. Every year, in August-September, they display a painting made entirely out of apples. Though if you're ever going there, I strongly recommend May-June instead, when everything blooms.
    There are also plenty of beaches nearby, and close access to both Malmö and Copenhagen, along with the danish island Bornholm. Actually, Bornholm is a pretty fantastic place as well. There is a neat castle ruin there, among other things.
    Don't be so modest. Scania as a whole is beautiful. And the produce you get from those fertile soils are just wonderful.

Me, as i forgot to add to my earlier post, i'm currently living in "the winter city" Östersund. Haven't lived here for too long, but so far it's been very nice. Lots of local buisnesses that make the city center seem more alive, instead of the usual major chains you'd find elsewhere. Lots of local pride, and a pretty vibrant eco farming scene. And of course all the winter sports you'd ever want in town, with the added compliment of having the major Swedish ski resorts just a short train ride away.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Cyan's Travel Hit List:

- Gettysburg
    - Nashville
    - Memphis
    - Tahlequa
    - Zion National Park
    - Haida Gwaii
    - Navajo reservation
    - Taos Pueblo
    - New Orleans
    Nashville is a fun city to visit. I get to go every year so I should explore more when I'm there. If you're interested in Pueblo ruins you should check out the cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde, west of Durango.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Texas is the length of 1/3 of the country. WHile in popular media its presented as just a desert with cowboys, its got grass, lakes, forests, and all the good stuff in quantity. Plains, hills, mountains, beaches... we got it all.
    But the most important question remains. The food, is it great, or better than great?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    But the most important question remains. The food, is it great, or better than great?
    Well, Mexican food sucks north of here, I know that. Otherwise... I dunno.

So in about a month when I get taxes done, I'll be looking to travel and explore Japan. I wont be going until August and we'll only be there for about two weeks, but I just want to know where my friends and I should visit rather than the obvious tourist choices.

We'll be arriving and staying in Tokyo, but we'll be wanting to travel to Saitama, Osaka, kyoto, yokohama, sendai, but since We only have two weeks we have to narrow it down to like 3. So, should it be Osaka, Tokyo, Saitama? There's so much I wanna do and experience and with only two weeks to do it all I just don't know where to start. aha

I'll be trying to learn a little Japanese, I mean at least to get around to the bars/ temples/lives(bands)/malls/ etc. But am I going to have to buy rosetta stone orrrr? O_o

EDIT: Tex-mex and Authentic Mexican food are two complete different things, but both are delicious.
    And you could find either places around every street corner in Houston, and most of them are actually really good.
    Last edited by Kaze; January 11th, 2015 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Edit for mexican food.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
    EDIT: Tex-mex and Authentic Mexican food are two complete different things, but both are delicious.
    And you could find either places around every street corner in Houston, and most of them are actually really good.
    So which side does tex-mex better? Does the Mexican side just hog all the glory or what?

Like if you visited the Mexican border cities, would there be anything you'd miss out on from the yank side.

The BBQ, Tex-Mex, and Mexican food is good. Oh, and we really love breakfast tacos here.

Firstly, never visit border towns on either side. That is literally where all the drugs, rape, and murder you hear about in mexico actually goes down. lol. Secondly, I would say it's gets more and more one sided the further south you travel, that being the Mexican food side.

So which side does tex-mex better? Does the Mexican side just hog all the glory or what?

Like if you visited the Mexican border cities, would there be anything you'd miss out on from the yank side.
    If you wanted to visit a border town and get a PhD in Tex-Mex and Mexican cooking you would visit El Paso, which is a perfectly safe place to visit. San Antonio would be a good choice as well, although it isn't on the border.

I've been dabbling a bit in Tex-Mex, y'know carnitas, al pastor, wetribs etc.

Would be nice taste the real deal and see how far off the mark i've been.

So i guess El-Paso goes on the bucket list. I should really make an essential US food stop list too

would there be anything you'd miss out on from the yank side.
    The ability to ingest tap water without getting the runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Well, Mexican food sucks north of here, I know that. Otherwise... I dunno.
    i must have gained 10 lbs from visiting Houston this past Xmas. We went to this new place called Gringos and I got the Pollo con Queso and it was fucking incredible

Seriously tho

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Where's Prism when you need him. Someone needs to have Mexico's back in this fight lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorkov View Post
    The BBQ, Tex-Mex, and Mexican food is good. Oh, and we really love breakfast tacos here.
    breakfast tacos (and kolaches too for that matter) don't exist in georgia and the only place you can get one is at sonic and nobody wants to do that bc they aren't that great there ;_;

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Genitals Rock. Rank: Failed Mutineer Prismeru's Avatar

Sigh, can't read signatures? Oh well... I guess i have to impart some knowledge *Takes off the...wait i don't have anything in my hands. Fuck*

Regarding the first question, My brother and i promised we would go to India together and i've felt the itch to return to Chicago this year. Apart from that i'm open to visit any other country. I like to get to know other places. Also, i've already been to the countries i dreamt to visit (Well, not dream but hope).

Now on México. As with any country we have a different type of cuisine in each state and we range in a wide variety of foods ranging from dishes composed of masa de tortilla in various presentations to insect kitchen (Which is fuckin delicious) to some excellent choices in "Drink till you black out". What? You're saying that's not food? Pfft, you must don't drink much son. Let me put on some dishes pictures in here.

Spoiler:

As for Tacos you have to risk to go to the street, to go out (As with all the great food). You're not gonna find the real authentic one in that shelted restaurant hotel. Heck,if you come to el DF i will personally take you to some great place. We will end up somewhere like this.

but if you are afraid of having a tummy-ache you can go and keep on eating mc donalds or whatever it is you child eat. I'm sure we have Kiddie meals in here too.

As for Sightseeing, a little sample:

Spoiler:

As for people i'm of the worst ones in here so it can only go up from there.

TL;DR: México has a fuckload of beautiful landscapes, food, culture, Museums, People and even drink. We will blow your panties off and will leave you wanting for more. If you don't believe just google how much people has been bewitched by my beautiful country (That yes,it has been suffering so much cause of the drug war but we still walk with our head uphigh cause pain is one of the greatest joys of living). Here's one:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...taco.html?_r=0
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information