+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

Quote Originally Posted by minus. View Post
    Wow ok you gotta tell me/us a little more about Brussels since you made me really curious now. I lived relatively close to it but never had the motivation to visit since I had a kinda bland opinion of it compared to cities like Amsterdam for instance. But apparently I was super ignorant haha
    What was your focus when it came to sight seeing? Art or politics? Or was the whole vibe of the city just great?
    The people are kind, welcoming, and friendly. Every interaction I had with customer service and members of the public put me at ease. Also they’re super good about whatever language you speak, and announcements would be in like 4 languages everywhere, English, French, Dutch, and German. Even though I made an effort to speak French in Brussels, the spots where I switched to English were just fine.

I didn’t get to see a lot of the city tbh, just Grand-Place and surrounding area, but as someone who loves old architecture, I was in awe. It’s extremely picturesque and clean.

The only negative thing is that walking at night time in the area we stayed was kind of sketchy and really vacant. There were a lot of homeless people sleeping out in the cold though :(

LOL I kinda feel sorry for Ethiopia. It sounds like it's so eaten up from the inside by poverty and corruption, the country and the people don't get the slightest chance to shine. I would really love to travel there as a backpack tourist with low expectations just to get to know the people better. But I'm not sure about safety. What was your impression? Would it be safe for a smart traveller who avoided risky situations? Or was your impression limited to hotel and airport?
    Well the thing is the city itself is gorgeous, but their organization in the airport is a disaster. If I wasn’t flying business class I would’ve had such a harder time that I did.

So okay, we were there for a 10 hour layover. On their airline website it said that if you have a layover you’ll get a free hotel and shuttle, but then we found out after we booked it that you Must be taking the next available flight out for that voucher. Our next available flight was THIRTY MINUTES from when we landed, so we booked the one after that since we’d probably miss it, not knowing it’d disqualify us from the voucher.

So we had to basically buy the voucher and visa on our own. On arrival there’s this transfer desk, where ONE PERSON is sitting there working excruciatingly slowly, while about 10 people crowded around the window, not in a line. I heard murmurs that some had been waiting there for over an hour. Luckily my husband decided to stand in this little spot for designated business class travelers and after about 20 minutes of standing there she happened to look over and acknowledge that, and then helped us before everyone else. I felt so bad >_<

The voucher including hotel stay, food, and shuttle, was 70 USD EACH. SEVENTY. US. DOLLARS. I tried reasoning that my husband and I were staying in the same room thus I shouldn’t have to pay full price, but no.

After dishing out that incredible amount of cash (I’m Canadian btw so $140 USD = $178 CAD) we proceeded through security, which had A TON of employees just standing around and talking to each other. Why why why couldn’t they add more staff to the transfer desk?!

Getting your shuttle from the exit was a weird process too. The hotel was like a 2.5 to 3 star hotel. We’ve booked almost 20 hotels in this trip so I can judge quality pretty well by now. Their saving grace was their freaking amazing coffee in their breakfast buffet. The other food was also okay.

Getting back to the airport in the evening was like entering another world. Sooo many people. Hundreds. Thousands. So many that people were sitting on the floor everywhere waiting for their flights. Again we were saved by our business class tickets which provided lounge access.

After that ordeal I’d say visit in like 10-15 years when they get up to standard. Theirs is a fast growing economy but they’re still a developing nation, but they’ll improve eventually. I didn’t feel unsafe at all, even when we left the hotel to explore a bit, and the weather was gorgeous and the people were friendly.
    Hidden:

Thank you for such detailed story about Ethiopia! One question, is it better to go there alone or with friends/family?

Quote Originally Posted by anna21 View Post
    Thank you for such detailed story about Ethiopia! One question, is it better to go there alone or with friends/family?
    Even though I didn’t feel unsafe, I would still suggest going with another person because you don’t have the security of easily accessible wifi or data from your phones, your credit cards may not work (it didn’t for us and we had to convert USD to Ethiopian Birr) and customer service is pretty much nonexistent at the airport so if you had a problem you’d feel a lot less helpless if you had someone else to lean on.

For example, our next stop was in Johannesburg and Ethiopian airlines sent our luggage to there a day ahead of us. When we arrived in Johannesburg we had to go through all that anxiety of waiting till every person left the luggage carousel and not seeing our luggage, going to get help and eventually getting it, and if I had to deal with that on my own I would’ve been such a wreck. Having the extra support of my husband and my support for him while dealing with all those issues was important for us, personally.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

On another topic:

London >>>>>>>> Paris.

I didn’t like Paris.

There. I said it. I’m in London right now and I love it :D

Quote Originally Posted by anna21 View Post
    Hi everyone! I am looking for some good translation apps which are easy to use during the trips and in overall. Any suggestions?
    Google translate app is the best imo. You can even play the translation out loud.
    Hidden:

Not firelord ozai or zuko firelord111's Avatar

Femme do you have a plan for traveling to Iran?

By fire be purged

Quote Originally Posted by firelord111 View Post
    I’d like to one day. Persian food is amaaaaazing (and I’m all about food )

But after this trip (two more countries to go!) I think I’m gonna take a loooong travel break. This has been an adventure, not a vacation ^_^; I’m exhausted. I need a vacation from my vacation lol.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    I’d like to one day. Persian food is amaaaaazing (and I’m all about food )

But after this trip (two more countries to go!) I think I’m gonna take a loooong travel break. This has been an adventure, not a vacation ^_^; I’m exhausted. I need a vacation from my vacation lol.
    Thanks
    I think there should be Iranian restaurants in Canada since there are alot of migrants

By fire be purged

Thanks
    I think there should be Iranian restaurants in Canada since there are alot of migrants
    There are, actually! A whole little area in Toronto.
    My favourite one is this 24 hour grocery store and restaurant that has this amazing dill and fava bean rice with lamb shank. YUM.
    Hidden:

Are you from Iran firelord111? Despite all the political mumbo jumbo, I've heard only good things, like exclusive praise from friends that visited Iran. And I really wanna visit *0*
    How do you think I would get along with English? Would it work in Teheran only? I've got some Arabic in my toolbox too. Could that work with older people to communicate or would that just give them bad memories?
    But even without language skills I'm not that worried since I read an article by a french journalist who traveled through the Iranian countryside with little money and no language skills. And she said it was the best journey she had since the Iranians were incredibly friendly, would invite her, a complete stranger, into their homes for food and drink and would offer their own beds and sleep on the floor themselves so their guest would get only the best. I was very much impressed by the Iranian spirit of hospitality. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post

London >>>>>>>> Paris.

I didnít like Paris.

There. I said it. Iím in London right now and I love it :D
    LOL preach it girl! Hahaha I kinda agree that, except for the art, Paris does not have the same flair of awesome that London had. But you really need to come back and get the France experience by exploring the North and especially the South of France. Paris is a really different, less beautiful world compared to the rest of the country. But be prepared to shoot down a lot of invitations to meals as everything has wine it. Well maybe not the snails you can try them ÷u÷ lol

Also thanks so much on your impressions on Brussels and Ethiopia, I love reading stuff like that <3
    Things I think are cool!

Are you from Iran firelord111? Despite all the political mumbo jumbo, I've heard only good things, like exclusive praise from friends that visited Iran. And I really wanna visit *0*
    How do you think I would get along with English? Would it work in Teheran only? I've got some Arabic in my toolbox too. Could that work with older people to communicate or would that just give them bad memories?
    But even without language skills I'm not that worried since I read an article by a french journalist who traveled through the Iranian countryside with little money and no language skills. And she said it was the best journey she had since the Iranians were incredibly friendly, would invite her, a complete stranger, into their homes for food and drink and would offer their own beds and sleep on the floor themselves so their guest would get only the best. I was very much impressed by the Iranian spirit of hospitality. :)

LOL preach it girl! Hahaha I kinda agree that, except for the art, Paris does not have the same flair of awesome that London had. But you really need to come back and get the France experience by exploring the North and especially the South of France. Paris is a really different, less beautiful world compared to the rest of the country. But be prepared to shoot down a lot of invitations to meals as everything has wine it. Well maybe not the snails you can try them ÷u÷ lol

Also thanks so much on your impressions on Brussels and Ethiopia, I love reading stuff like that <3
    I think basic English is enough in big cities like Tehran Isfahan and Shiraz some people may understand Arabic
    I personally went to Tehran Isfahan north and south coasts and lived in Shiraz I think for the first time Isfahan and Shiraz are good places to go
    Right now I'm not in Iran anymore so I can't personally help you I may be able to tell my friends or relatives see if they are not busy

By fire be purged

Right now I'm not in Iran anymore so I can't personally help you I may be able to tell my friends or relatives see if they are not busy
    See everyone? This is the Iranian hospitality I'm talking about. I literally know this poster from one interaction and they are organising family contacts for me from within the country already. You're amazing, friend. Never change this wonderful hospitality. I will try to be more like you :D
    Should I ever have time and money to visit I will make sure to hit you up and invite you to a tea haha
    Things I think are cool!

See everyone? This is the Iranian hospitality I'm talking about. I literally know this poster from one interaction and they are organising family contacts for me from within the country already. You're amazing, friend. Never change this wonderful hospitality. I will try to be more like you :D
    Should I ever have time and money to visit I will make sure to hit you up and invite you to a tea haha
    lol thanks. .

By fire be purged

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. Then I will plan my trip there together with my friends or family. By the way, thank you for the app suggestions. I checked some apps and found out that there are several good options. I saw eight translation apps reviewed in this article and thought it was useful, primarily because of the table which summarizes the main functions. I like that they give suggestions on which app should be used in a particular occasion. For example, some apps are better to use for Asian languages to get the right translation.

I think basic English is enough in big cities like Tehran Isfahan and Shiraz some people may understand Arabic
    I personally went to Tehran Isfahan north and south coasts and lived in Shiraz I think for the first time Isfahan and Shiraz are good places to go
    If you're able to, can you tell about what country you're in now? As I recall it was either Australia or Bulgaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    If you're able to, can you tell about what country you're in now? As I recall it was either Australia or Bulgaria.
    im still in armenia waiting for visa To go to Bulgaria

By fire be purged

I have a question for the Americans here. If things go as planned I'm going to spend thanksgiving with an American family this year. I have no idea how this works except for useless pocultural cues I absorbed from TV shows. What do I have to consider? Do I offer to help prepare the table/wash the dishes afterwards? Should I bring a present? Is there some official "time table" (if you celebrated Christmas in Europe you probably know what I'm talking about)? I know the basics, which is to completely stfu about politics and religion. But I wanna try my best to be a good guest as this invitation means a lot to me.
    Things I think are cool!

I have a question for the Americans here. If things go as planned I'm going to spend thanksgiving with an American family this year. I have no idea how this works except for useless pocultural cues I absorbed from TV shows. What do I have to consider? Do I offer to help prepare the table/wash the dishes afterwards? Should I bring a present? Is there some official "time table" (if you celebrated Christmas in Europe you probably know what I'm talking about)? I know the basics, which is to completely stfu about politics and religion. But I wanna try my best to be a good guest as this invitation means a lot to me.
    If you're a guest then you probably wouldn't be expected to prepare things or wash the dishes. Though an offer to help would be appreciated I'm sure.
    Otherwise there's not much too it except for eating a shitload of food.
    Presents have nothing to do with it (though pre-planning maybe bringing some sort of dish for the meal is a thing). And I have no idea what timetable would be involved aside from eating a big meal on the evening/night of that day. I mean aside from the day being busy setting up (if the family you'll be with is hosting dinner and not going to a relative's house or something).
    Some people watch a lot of Football I guess, and also the Macy's Day parade in the morning is on TV.

Of course I dunno if there are strange regional varieties, but I don't think so?

im still in armenia waiting for visa To go to Bulgaria
    How is Armenia compared to Iran?

It is a nice small country I'm staying at the capital in size and population it is much smaller than Shiraz . I have hard time communicating cause most of them speak Russian and Armenian
    The food hear is good
    It's a shame that there is a conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan

By fire be purged

It is a nice small country I'm staying at the capital in size and population it is much smaller than Shiraz . I have hard time communicating cause most of them speak Russian and Armenian
    The food hear is good
    It's a shame that there is a conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
    Am I wrong to assume that Iranians and Armenians historically are on pretty good terms with each-other?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Am I wrong to assume that Iranians and Armenians historically are on pretty good terms with each-other?
    they are in pretty good terms with each other there are many armenians in iran and many iranians in armenia

By fire be purged

Not surprising that between the two regional giants you are the chill one to them.

Iran: Hey cool whatever bro, Persia and stuff right, yeah.
    Turkey: NOT GREEK, NOT PERSIAN. TOTAL ORIGINAL CULTURE DO NOT STEAL. I DON'T HAVE ISSUES YOU HAVE ISSUES.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information