+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 522

Thread: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

  1. #41

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    i must have gained 10 lbs from visiting Houston this past Xmas.
    Try growing up there. Constant struggle to not be huge.

    Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    breakfast tacos (and kolaches too for that matter) don't exist in georgia and the only place you can get one is at sonic and nobody wants to do that bc they aren't that great there ;_;
    What?! That sounds awful. No breakfast tacos... does not compute.

    No kolaches either.. wtf man, wtf. My part Czech wife would not be happy.


    Quote Originally Posted by Prismeru View Post
    TL;DR: México has a fuckload of beautiful landscapes, food, culture, Museums, People and even drink. We will blow your panties off and will leave you wanting for more. If you don't believe just google how much people has been bewitched by my beautiful country (That yes,it has been suffering so much cause of the drug war but we still walk with our head uphigh cause pain is one of the greatest joys of living).
    Where is that green canyon of awesomeness?

  2. #42

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Prismeru View Post
    Regarding the first question, My brother and i promised we would go to India together and i've felt the itch to return to Chicago this year. Apart from that i'm open to visit any other country. I like to get to know other places. Also, i've already been to the countries i dreamt to visit (Well, not dream but hope).
    India is probably the country i'm the least interested in visiting.

    Not to slam on your choice at all, just throwing it out there since it came up. I'd probably go crazy with the crowds and heat.

    As for Tacos you have to risk to go to the street, to go out (As with all the great food). You're not gonna find the real authentic one in that shelted restaurant hotel. Heck,if you come to el DF i will personally take you to some great place. We will end up somewhere like this.

    but if you are afraid of having a tummy-ache you can go and keep on eating mc donalds or whatever it is you child eat. I'm sure we have Kiddie meals in here too.
    I'll take that as a sort of admittal of the diarrehea risk

    Which is fine really, you only live once, might as well have a nice meal no matter the consequence.

  3. #43
    Genitals Rock. Rank: Failed Mutineer Prismeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Vectorkov View Post

    Where is that green canyon of awesomeness?
    The first one is Barranca del cobre in Chihuahua. The Second one is Caņon del sumidero in Chiapas.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    India is probably the country i'm the least interested in visiting.

    Not to slam on your choice at all, just throwing it out there since it came up. I'd probably go crazy with the crowds and heat.



    I'll take that as a sort of admittal of the diarrehea risk

    Which is fine really, you only live once, might as well have a nice meal no matter the consequence.
    Well, i want to see where Buddhism was born (yeah, yeah. I know. Don't correct me all over the place). I can't really call it pilmimagre cause i'm not really...well, it's weird.

    And for the second part i've had so many delicious food in so many "dirty" parts that i've learned to suck it up. Also i got diarrhea of all places in Nara (A watermelon given to me as a gift from some nice lady which in retrospect maybe wasn't nice and was trying to kill me) so it can happen anywhere.
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

  4. #44

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Prismeru View Post
    Well, i want to see where Buddhism was born (yeah, yeah. I know. Don't correct me all over the place). I can't really call it pilmimagre cause i'm not really...well, it's weird.
    The area where Buddhism got it's start is like... one of the worst parts of India. Like you're basically visiting the non-warzone parts of the Congo.

    Like I know you're having a laugh at the first worlder stomachs not being able to handle Mexican street food, but Mexico is basically Norway compared to Bihar. Like we're talking severe food poisoning type things. I heard a story about a lady from China who accidentally was drinking tap water in her India hotel, and has had stomach problems ever since.

    The richer nicer parts of India are supposably areas near Punjab and Delhi, Mumbai, and the southern cone in the Dravidian speaking areas (kinda like South America lol). Kerala especially is supposed to be waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the rest of the country.

    Also Sri Lanka where people are actually still Buddhist is like wayyyyy beyond India and most of it's states (to say nothing of Pakistan, Nepal, or Bangladesh). Actually Sri Lanka according to the HDI is basically the same as Mexico, except with a much tinier area and population which probably means on average it's better than where you live unless you're in a richer part of Mex! Somehow! In spite of the rest of the region being poo!

    Like I dunno, South Asia has some nicer parts but you might want to not focus in on the Buddhism birth area.
    Last edited by Monkey King; January 12th, 2015 at 03:39 PM.

  5. #45

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    In food terms, which parts/cities/areas of the US do ya'll count as neccesities?

    El Paso has already gotten the stamp of approval, and i'm thinking Louisiana deserves a spot.

    And if Zeph is to be believed the New York area has the quasi-Italian stuff on lock.

  6. #46

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    El Paso has already gotten the stamp of approval, and i'm thinking Louisiana deserves a spot.
    You could stop in New Orleans for Cajun food, hop on over to Houston for just about anything (including hurricane Katrina refugees selling Cajun food), keep going west west to Austin & Lockheart for BBQ, then keep going and going way out west to El Paso for Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine. That's only a 15-16 hour drive from end to end. BTW, saying X BBQ is better than than Y BBQ often amounts to fightin' words.

    And if Zeph is to be believed the New York area has the quasi-Italian stuff on lock.
    New York is definitely a necessary stop on an American culinary tour.


    Perosnally, I'd love to one day try Indian food somewhere where it's considered the best.

  7. #47

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Have I created a food porn thread?

    Anyway, Wolfwood, if you want good food, why not take a trip over here?
    Portuguese food is not as known as Italian or French, but itīs honestly as good, if not better, and it isnīt as expensive as both those places, so you can end up with your stomach filled and your wallet in the same condition.
    Best fish in Europe, and a lot of good meat too.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ugly View Post
    Lisbon, Coimbra and Leomil are the cities I want to go.

    About São Paulo, yeah..It is big but donīt let the size scares you, there is a LOT of things to do.
    Leomil?

    Any special reason? Thatīs a pretty weird choice.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    ...
    How far to South would you be willing/interested going to?

  8. #48

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    Leomil?

    Any special reason? Thatīs a pretty weird choice.
    This is where my family is from.
    When AP used to be good:

    NEVER FORGET !!

  9. #49

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    In food terms, which parts/cities/areas of the US do ya'll count as neccesities?

    El Paso has already gotten the stamp of approval, and i'm thinking Louisiana deserves a spot.

    And if Zeph is to be believed the New York area has the quasi-Italian stuff on lock.
    It's not quasi-Italian if you're actually going to the right places. There's good pizza everywhere, but you mean like the cuisine? No worry. Little Italy in NYC and all sorts of little places everywheres else has what you need. Even in my town we have an extremely good place and I live between Bridgeport and New Haven rather than anywhere super close to NYC itself.

    Also the NYC area being the most immigrant heavy part of the world means you can probably find the food of absolutely anything you could imagine.
    In fact I think I just sold you on it with that line alone lol. If you can get over the urban transition you'd be in gastronomic heaven.

  10. #50

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    There's also a bunch of halal street food places in the city these days. I got one of the best burgers I've ever eaten from one.

  11. #51

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Right now on main street in my town we're undergoing a third Greco-Persian war with two differing pizza joints competing. The classic one with it's delicious greasy low sauce pizza from the Greeks who have been here for awhile.
    And a new joint run by a couple Iranian dudes who are making things New Haven style with thin dry crust.

    The winner is the customers.

  12. #52
    Discovered Stowaway fedcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montréal

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    The area where Buddhism got it's start is like... one of the worst parts of India. Like you're basically visiting the non-warzone parts of the Congo.

    Like I know you're having a laugh at the first worlder stomachs not being able to handle Mexican street food, but Mexico is basically Norway compared to Bihar. Like we're talking severe food poisoning type things. I heard a story about a lady from China who accidentally was drinking tap water in her India hotel, and has had stomach problems ever since.

    The richer nicer parts of India are supposably areas near Punjab and Delhi, Mumbai, and the southern cone in the Dravidian speaking areas (kinda like South America lol). Kerala especially is supposed to be waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the rest of the country.

    Also Sri Lanka where people are actually still Buddhist is like wayyyyy beyond India and most of it's states (to say nothing of Pakistan, Nepal, or Bangladesh). Actually Sri Lanka according to the HDI is basically the same as Mexico, except with a much tinier area and population which probably means on average it's better than where you live unless you're in a richer part of Mex! Somehow! In spite of the rest of the region being poo!

    Like I dunno, South Asia has some nicer parts but you might want to not focus in on the Buddhism birth area.
    You're not supposed to drink tap water anywhere in India, everyone I know boils it first then leaves it to cool overnight

    Goa is pretty nice, my cousin went to Ladakh recently and told me it was beautiful. Delhi not so much but it's close to a lot of grand historical sites (like the Red Fort and Taj Mahal) so it's worth visiting anyway
    NNID: julsjacket

  13. #53

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    I'm travelling to Argentina tomorrow.
    Will I meet Skadi?

  14. #54

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    In food terms, which parts/cities/areas of the US do ya'll count as neccesities?

    El Paso has already gotten the stamp of approval, and i'm thinking Louisiana deserves a spot.

    And if Zeph is to be believed the New York area has the quasi-Italian stuff on lock.

    Kansas City, Missouri got amazing barbeque, very underrated. So if you for some reason would go to Missouri, the franchise Gates is the place you should visit. Philly cheesesteaks is also a must, but if you're gonna eat it, you gotta go to Philadelphia, there is simply no better than there. I don't know about the Chicago-style pizza elsewhere, but I'd recommend it very hard, no matter where you go if you find it. Just bear in mind that you must not under any circumstances use knives and forks if you eat pizza in New York. Pick the slice up and fold it.

  15. #55
    Champion Worrier Zar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Whole Cake Island

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post

    How far to South would you be willing/interested going to?
    I'm thinking most of the countries that border Sweden: Germany, Poland, The Baltics. Add the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Czech Republic and United Kingdom and that should be it. The only country here I'm not interested in is Denmark, I've been there hundreds of times.

  16. #56

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jameswuds View Post
    Kansas City, Missouri got amazing barbeque, very underrated. So if you for some reason would go to Missouri, the franchise Gates is the place you should visit. Philly cheesesteaks is also a must, but if you're gonna eat it, you gotta go to Philadelphia, there is simply no better than there. I don't know about the Chicago-style pizza elsewhere, but I'd recommend it very hard, no matter where you go if you find it. Just bear in mind that you must not under any circumstances use knives and forks if you eat pizza in New York. Pick the slice up and fold it.
    Or just hold it? I don't know anyone who folds, unless it's like super greasy you might need two hands I guess.
    Then again Connecticut is kinda it's own sub-pizza culture, so maybe they really do fold them in NYC. I've just never seen anyone do it here at any local mom&pop joints or New Haven style places.

    For your gastronomic purposes Wolfwood here's a handy article and maps concerning American pizza.

    This one too.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    I'm thinking most of the countries that border Sweden: Germany, Poland, The Baltics. Add the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Czech Republic and United Kingdom and that should be it. The only country here I'm not interested in is Denmark, I've been there hundreds of times.
    Don't you want to go somewhere sunny with loud people? Neglecting some great Euro stuff there mate.

  17. #57

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Eating pizza with a fork and knife is a mortal sin for anyone over the age of 7.

    Folding the slice is indeed a New York thing.

  18. #58

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Or just hold it? I don't know anyone who folds, unless it's like super greasy you might need two hands I guess.
    Then again Connecticut is kinda it's own sub-pizza culture, so maybe they really do fold them in NYC. I've just never seen anyone do it here at any local mom&pop joints or New Haven style places.
    It was just something I picked up in the corner of my eye when I went there. Confirming this, a couple of weeks ago, I read an article in which they said you are actually supposed to fold it. If you google ''how to eat pizza in New York'' ( which I just did ) you will find plenty of people do that. Last year they made a big deal out of how the mayor ate his pizza, ( with silverware ) saying he destroys New York's image, basically. I guess New Yorkers are very serious about their image and customs and to be honest, I understand them. New York is a great city, despite being so immensly diverse, they have a sense of pride and unity, even if the mentality of an officer worker on upper Manhattan is very different from a kid in South Bronx. They all agree that their city is the best and that New Jersey sucks ass.

  19. #59

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    New Jersey is really just the scapegoat for the entire metro area lol.
    Any and all negative traits we all share, we just pretend Jersey embodies.
    Being by far the least glamorous kinda made it natural to shoulder the burden.

  20. #60

    Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    New Jersey is really just the scapegoat for the entire metro area lol.
    Any and all negative traits we all share, we just pretend Jersey embodies.
    Being by far the least glamorous kinda made it natural to shoulder the burden.
    Damn, I feel bad for those people now. Newark and Camden sucks, I pretty much know that, but what is it that makes it stick out so much that everyone hates it?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts