+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

Meet up with some AP New Yorkers and go have a nice meal somewhere. Maybe have a drink.

Me personally i'd like to visit a jewish deli. Those sandwiches seems ridiculously good.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Meet up with some AP New Yorkers and go have a nice meal somewhere. Maybe have a drink.

Me personally i'd like to visit a jewish deli. Those sandwiches seems ridiculously good.
    Holy crap yes I want to go to a kosher deli so bad, I have a hankering for a good sandwich.

My hubs is a travel nut so we'll probably be at the NY Times Travel Show, and we gotta plan our itineraries around being near a mosque and halal food, so it's gonna be pretty complicated and rushed methinks. Anyone going to that event?
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    Alrighty New Yorkers I'm heading over there for a weekend in the end of Jan, help me out:

Best things to do in NYC in a day! Go!
    -Little Italy (eat there)
    -I'd say walk on the Highline but it's January so eh, maybe do anyway unless you can see yourself visiting during warmer times of year soon
    -Times Square
    -See a Broadway show (probably too late for that)
    -Mostly just walk and take the crazy wonder in around midtown

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Well I've been to NYC before but my husband hasn't, we basically have the weekend. So, 2 days.

Last I've been we had a bus taking us to each place, this time were planning to subway and bus, so I'm looking for good walkable itineraries.
    Walking around midtown is it's own part of the experience. Bus doesn't do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    -Little Italy (eat there)
    -I'd say walk on the Highline but it's January so eh, maybe do anyway unless you can see yourself visiting during warmer times of year soon
    -Times Square
    -See a Broadway show (probably too late for that)
    -Mostly just walk and take the crazy wonder in around midtown

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Walking around midtown is it's own part of the experience. Bus doesn't do it justice.
    HOW DARE YOU NOT MENTION THE TAKOYAKI PLACE!!!!

Femme. Takoyaki. Femme. TAKOYAKI.

Also Kebab Pizza just sounds like... a giant kebab pitta to me. :U Omnomnom
    My 3DS Friend Code: 1091 - 8457 - 8212

~Goronyanya~

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie View Post
    HOW DARE YOU NOT MENTION THE TAKOYAKI PLACE!!!!

Femme. Takoyaki. Femme. TAKOYAKI.

Also Kebab Pizza just sounds like... a giant kebab pitta to me. :U Omnomnom
    WHA WHA WHAAAAAAA!?

Are you saying I won't have to wait until the Japan trip?!

Please. Tell me. Where.

Oh and thanks MK!
    Hidden:

WHA WHA WHAAAAAAA!?

Are you saying I won't have to wait until the Japan trip?!

Please. Tell me. Where.

Oh and thanks MK!
    http://m.yelp.com/biz/otafuku-new-york-2
    Otafuku! 8D I'd suggest since you want to try more things in New York, to just get a plate of Takoyaki for a treat. The rest of their food is also good BUT very very filling. Oh and careful of the heat! The Takoyaki is super hot! Ask my husband above about the route and he'll give you a pretty detailed description about which sub to take to be there within 15-20 minutes

~Goronyanya~

femme. you can get takoyaki in toronto. :P

I even bought some frozen in London Ontario last weekend. (then forgot it at my friends) :P

hey. Do they have any okonomoyaki places in NY?

The same place makes okonomoyaki Lis! Here is their menu http://www.otafukuny.com (you don't make it yourself if that's what you are looking for though)

~Goronyanya~

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp View Post
    femme. you can get takoyaki in toronto. :P
    And in Providence, the point is NYC and having goodies during the trip.

You should probably try to get reservations at the most interesting restaurant you can find

Me i'd want to visit Aquavit, Ivan's ramen, Il buco and Junoon.

You should probably try to get reservations at the most interesting restaurant you can find

Me i'd want to visit Aquavit, Ivan's ramen, Il buco and Junoon.
    The coolest places don't need reservations, they're little hole in the wall joints that serve up quick delicious shit (which Ivan's Ramen seems like)

Ideally you'd want to both no? You hit up the hole in the wall joints on your days out and about.

And then you take a whole night to enjoy a really nice restaurant. Y'know a whole, cohesive, three course meal, with the corresponding wines/beers. Really soaking up the atmosphere and getting to know whoever you are dining with.

Ideally you'd want to both no? You hit up the hole in the wall joints on your days out and about.

And then you take a whole night to enjoy a really nice restaurant. Y'know a whole, cohesive, three course meal, with the corresponding wines/beers. Really soaking up the atmosphere and getting to know whoever you are dining with.
    your a rl hobbit

My favourite place in Hong Kong was this cramped vegetarian place on a corner near the seaside where elderly people went for congee in the morning. They had the most amazing wonton soup..

And then this other place where a lady saw the hubs and I struggling to divide a dumpling and walked over without being asked and promptly snipped our dumpling in two with a pair of scissors.

And true, Cap! I'm sure I can get takoyaki here but iunno, Chrissie made it sound so magical o_o
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie View Post
    The same place makes okonomoyaki Lis! Here is their menu http://www.otafukuny.com (you don't make it yourself if that's what you are looking for though)
    well. that's quite the place then, isn't it. :)

And in Providence, the point is NYC and having goodies during the trip.
    well goodies should be something new and different that you can't have at home. :D

Like, when I go to texas, everyone makes sure I go for "real" mexican food. :3

This silliness happens every day in my hometown: https://twitter.com/franklinbbqline/...57514512637953

We reaallly love our BBQ here.

your a rl hobbit
    You silvertongued devil you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorkov View Post
    This silliness happens every day in my hometown: https://twitter.com/franklinbbqline/...57514512637953

We reaallly love our BBQ here.
    I have still not quite decided if i think your smokey BBQ is brilliant or horrible.

But then again the taste of smoked meat in general is really hit or miss for me.

I just got back from amsterdam, and though I enjoyed it, I wouldn't recommend it.

- a lot of the museums weren't great
    - the Anne frank house is packed, brief and expensive
    - whenever we stopped on the street we were offered cocain
    - everything is too expensive
    - and really the last nail in the coffin revolves around the tiny coffee portions.

Edit: rereading this made me feel old. I think I've been stuck in the mountains too long, and have succumbed to a life of coffee and climbing.

That aside I've got my brothers wedding in South Africa (sigh) in March, Italy towards the end of summer (yay), and possibly California next year if I get my work placement (not so sure?).

Not really sure about any other trips, but things might happen if a bit of luck lands on my lap.

I guess if Italy falls through I can always go to Istanbul or India.
    Last edited by Smudger; January 20th, 2015 at 04:12 PM.

I've been in Olympia since November, I've had the opportunity to check out a few places here, as well Tacoma and Seattle.

Olympia - Lots of Asian restaurants, particularly Vietnamese. Found a couple of good pho places. Also lots of espresso shops. In every other parking lot. Favorite place to go so far is Bread Peddler, down the street from the capital building and near the farmer's market.

Tacoma - Your standard fare of chain restaurants. There is a place called Dorky's that is pretty rad. They have a pretty impressive beer selection. Also Dirty Oscar's Annex was pretty good. They have gigantic breakfast portions.

Seattle - Beautiful skyline, for obvious reasons. I have tried a few places at The Armory. I love going to the EMP Museum. They're supposed to have an exhibit on Star Wars costuming soon, and they have a really cool Indie game one right now.

I would love to hear about places I should check out around here, if anyone lives around the Pacific NW. I still want to check out Portland someday as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Well, Mexican food sucks north of here, I know that. Otherwise... I dunno.
    I can attest to that. I haven't found any good Mexican food in Olympia. There is a place called Taco Time that I am told to avoid at all costs. Perhaps there are some decent Mexican food places in and around Seattle, but I haven't explored it much outside of the EMP museum, which is amazing, btw!

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorkov View Post
    The BBQ, Tex-Mex, and Mexican food is good. Oh, and we really love breakfast tacos here.
    Mmm breakfast tacos~

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    breakfast tacos (and kolaches too for that matter) don't exist in georgia and the only place you can get one is at sonic and nobody wants to do that bc they aren't that great there ;_;
    Same over here....

Quote Originally Posted by Prismeru View Post
    Sigh, can't read signatures? Oh well... I guess i have to impart some knowledge *Takes off the...wait i don't have anything in my hands. Fuck*

Regarding the first question, My brother and i promised we would go to India together and i've felt the itch to return to Chicago this year. Apart from that i'm open to visit any other country. I like to get to know other places. Also, i've already been to the countries i dreamt to visit (Well, not dream but hope).

Now on México. As with any country we have a different type of cuisine in each state and we range in a wide variety of foods ranging from dishes composed of masa de tortilla in various presentations to insect kitchen (Which is fuckin delicious) to some excellent choices in "Drink till you black out". What? You're saying that's not food? Pfft, you must don't drink much son. Let me put on some dishes pictures in here.

As for Tacos you have to risk to go to the street, to go out (As with all the great food). You're not gonna find the real authentic one in that shelted restaurant hotel. Heck,if you come to el DF i will personally take you to some great place. We will end up somewhere like this.
    http://static.chilango.com/media/res...247/1247_3.jpg
    but if you are afraid of having a tummy-ache you can go and keep on eating mc donalds or whatever it is you child eat. I'm sure we have Kiddie meals in here too.

As for Sightseeing, a little sample:

As for people i'm of the worst ones in here so it can only go up from there.

TL;DR: México has a fuckload of beautiful landscapes, food, culture, Museums, People and even drink. We will blow your panties off and will leave you wanting for more. If you don't believe just google how much people has been bewitched by my beautiful country (That yes,it has been suffering so much cause of the drug war but we still walk with our head uphigh cause pain is one of the greatest joys of living). Here's one:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...taco.html?_r=0
    Great pictures! What part of Mexico are you from? I'm from Durango. I basically lived here for the first two years of my life.

My favorite Mexican dish has to be enchiladas rojas. My mom makes the best~

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp View Post
    well. that's quite the place then, isn't it. :)

well goodies should be something new and different that you can't have at home. :D

Like, when I go to texas, everyone makes sure I go for "real" mexican food. :3
    Perhaps one day I can come visit you and you can show me some "real" Canadian food. :D

Quote Originally Posted by KamenRiderNeko View Post
    Perhaps one day I can come visit you and you can show me some "real" Canadian food. :D
    Canadian cuisine seems to be related to the same stuff they make in northern new england. Which is mostly bizarre fatty foods and maple syrup.
    Though maybe that's Quebec food. That ol' New World French influence that oozes down into Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire.

I imagine Ontario cuisine consists of white bread and mayonnaise.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information