+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1719

Thread: One Piece Film Gold (July 2016)

Default Re: One Piece Film Gold (July 2016)

Finally saw it. Film Gold is fun but it's also maybe my least favorite of the Film trilogy. Overall I'd put it at #5, behind Dead End Adventure and Baron Omatsuri as well.

Tesoro is far and away the least interesting of the Film villains with a backstory that feels very much tacked on instead of shaping his character. He's basically just an arrogant gloating villain with none of the personality or motivation that made Zephyr and Shiki so memorable. His fight, while the most visually stunning of the three climaxes, was also the most bog standard anime of them and frankly the most boring. The Gran Tesoro is very cool and certainly a better setting than the random islands of Film Z but stills doesn't match the bonkers creativity of Strong World. The shenanigans on the ship and the heist later were both my favorite parts.

While I loved the random cameos, the appearances of Spandam, Lucci, and Sabo were all basically just fanservice that did nothing for the movie. Contrast that to the big role Kuzan and Borsalino played in Film Z; even the minor inclusions of Garp and Sengoku served a narrative purpose and didn't distract from the story. That whole small subplot could be cut out to make the movie shorter, or extend more meaningful parts like the heist. Speaking of which, I loved the goofy visual and musical nods to classic movies like Mission Impossible and Ocean's Eleven. I think the movie would have benefited by making their plan more elaborate, explicitly establishing a purpose for those initial disguises, and of course clearly creating an opportunity for Franky to readjust the plumbing that's noticeable in hindsight.

Essentially the movie was fun but missed the mark on the attempted emotional cores, with an excellent setting, great gags, and mostly stellar animation despite a lackluster villain.

Saw it today.

Imo, it was just okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Finally saw it. Film Gold is fun but it's also maybe my least favorite of the Film trilogy. Overall I'd put it at #5, behind Dead End Adventure and Baron Omatsuri as well.

Tesoro is far and away the least interesting of the Film villains with a backstory that feels very much tacked on instead of shaping his character. He's basically just an arrogant gloating villain with none of the personality or motivation that made Zephyr and Shiki so memorable. His fight, while the most visually stunning of the three climaxes, was also the most bog standard anime of them and frankly the most boring. The Gran Tesoro is very cool and certainly a better setting than the random islands of Film Z but stills doesn't match the bonkers creativity of Strong World. The shenanigans on the ship and the heist later were both my favorite parts.

While I loved the random cameos, the appearances of Spandam, Lucci, and Sabo were all basically just fanservice that did nothing for the movie. Contrast that to the big role Kuzan and Borsalino played in Film Z; even the minor inclusions of Garp and Sengoku served a narrative purpose and didn't distract from the story. That whole small subplot could be cut out to make the movie shorter, or extend more meaningful parts like the heist. Speaking of which, I loved the goofy visual and musical nods to classic movies like Mission Impossible and Ocean's Eleven. I think the movie would have benefited by making their plan more elaborate, explicitly establishing a purpose for those initial disguises, and of course clearly creating an opportunity for Franky to readjust the plumbing that's noticeable in hindsight.

Essentially the movie was fun but missed the mark on the attempted emotional cores, with an excellent setting, great gags, and mostly stellar animation despite a lackluster villain.
    Huh? I mean i wouldn't say that Tesoro had depth like Z, but he sure as hell had more personality then whatever Shiki showed.

I do want to add that while the movie itself was alright, I still think it made for a great theatrical experience and I'm glad Funimation pushed for a limited release!
    Check out my artwork and my musings here:
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Huh? I mean i wouldn't say that Tesoro had depth like Z, but he sure as hell had more personality then whatever Shiki showed.
    Nah Shiki had a better design and was a total goofball with his two lackeys. He had an actual relationship with members of the crew too instead of just treating them like a dozen famous pirate crews before them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monkey D. View Post
    Looks like Vic got his One Piece role.
    It was only time! I thought he fit very nicely with Sabo. We can now all get it in our heads that it's Sabo singing the first round of We Are! in S1. Trippy? Maybe.

Overall, it was great to see this get a theatrical release. Our theater was probably around 60% full for the showing. I'm hoping that it will give a little more incentive for there to be more big screen projects in the future. Loved the soundtrack and cameos.. had to explain a couple of things to my 12-yo (like why the theater was losing their shit about the Celestials and the Tesoro's tattoo.), but otherwise, she loved it.

I found it odd that Gold, a caper movie, lacked a sense of joy in the adventure that felt present in most of the recent OP movies, even one as sober as Z. The most fun scene was the costume shopping/wardrobe fashion show and it lasted all of thirty seconds. Like Strong World, the time spent on trying to create a sense of emotional depth might have been better spent elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000sunny View Post
    I found it odd that Gold, a caper movie, lacked a sense of joy in the adventure that felt present in most of the recent OP movies, even one as sober as Z. The most fun scene was the costume shopping/wardrobe fashion show and it lasted all of thirty seconds. Like Strong World, the time spent on trying to create a sense of emotional depth might have been better spent elsewhere.
    Episode 0 contained some of that, I don't recall much of what you describe in Film Z. It's more than likely because the story in contained on one island/ship/city, unlike Strong World or Z which has a lot of traversing.

The OP Podcast website lists two characters named Nypers and Balong in the credits - does anyone know who those two are?

Spoiler:

Just got back from seeing One Piece Film Gold, aka Ocean's 11: One Piece Edition. I really liked it, actually.

Spoiler:
    There was some iffy stuff, like Tesoro's crammed in backstory and some stretched logic with the fan and the seawater pump, but overall it was a fun adventure. Loved all the cameos and the return of Spandam and Lucci.

I'll have to rewatch Strong World and Z (and eventually Gold again) to see how they stack up against each other.

Saw the Dub in Theatres (never thought I'd ever say that.)

I really didn't care for Tesoro, until we got his flashback montage. But definitely, felt like a downgrade from Z and Shiki.

Wasn't bad though, still enjoyed it and got waaaay too much attention wearing my WB hat.
    "I still think you are on the run or something.
    You just look like a different person, in a new place, with a new name in every picture." - Hiroy

ADD ME ON One Piece Treasure Cruise : GLOBAL: 782,244,354 (RAY/BOA/WB/SW SHANKS/SABO)

Very disappointing, especially since Oda wrote the movie IIRC.

A few funny moments, but the rest...eh.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonX View Post
    Very disappointing, especially since Oda wrote the movie IIRC.
    He was the Executive Producer. He didn't write the script.

He only wrote Strong World.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    He was the Executive Producer. He didn't write the script.

He only wrote Strong World.
    Well, at least something. Though he still ok'd it.

But anyway, films are to be taken more lightly anyway.

Worldwide Gross as of Wednesday January, 11th 2017: $65,974,339

The movie likely won't outgross One Piece Film: Z which finished with $7
    4,223,861 worldwide but it has outgrossed One Piece Film: Strong World which finished with $49,275,348 worldwide and Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' which finished with $64,092,411 worldwide as well as Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods which finished with $50,974,742 worldwide. The film has yet to close in the US and Canada and it's Thursday and Friday grosses in those territories haven't been reported yet so this isn't the final worldwide gross and I will post again in this thread when it's final worldwide gross is reported
    Last edited by TheGreatCaptainUsopp; January 14th, 2017 at 10:44 AM.

If I see one more god damn One Piece film that decides to make it about Nami or have something related to Nami when there are 8 other characters you can do, I'm gonna shit.

I'm just gonna fucking shit.
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    If I see one more god damn One Piece film that decides to make it about Nami or have something related to Nami when there are 8 other characters you can do, I'm gonna shit.

I'm just gonna fucking shit.
    I don't understand what the uproar is, Nami has only had some underlying plots in Strong World and now this.

Still better than Chopper's story in Film 3 or Zoro's in Film 5, both of those films were pretty bad.

In the last 3 films that (let's face it, are the only real official films people seem to care about) two of them have had something related to Nami, or had them rescuing Nami. I'm tired of it. I don't give a FUCK.
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    In the last 3 films that (let's face it, are the only real official films people seem to care about) two of them have had something related to Nami, or had them rescuing Nami. I'm tired of it. I don't give a FUCK.
    In Film Z, it was just a sub-plot that involved her being turned into a child alongside Chopper. In fact, Chopper had movies more about him than Nami herself.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

He's not talking about Film Z, he's talking about Gold and Strong World

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information