+ Reply to Thread
Page 126 of 126 FirstFirst ... 26 76 116 124 125 126
Results 2,501 to 2,508 of 2508

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It's also telling that others, like Baby-5 and Law, despite being in the group since childhood, left at the first opportunity and felt zero loyalty. Law even downright trying to kill him and all.
    I sorta expected Oda to do something with Buffalo there since he was paired with Baby 5 and was brought in as a kid like Baby and Law.

But He just got lost in the suffle, did he appear again after Kyros beat him up?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    Greg, does fan expectations/enthusiasm/wants have any effect on what Oda does with One Piece stories to a noticeable degree?

Like do you thing Oda would change his story in significant ways due to what fans would want?
    Not one bit.

And that's just *THE* greatest thing ever.

Oda draws the stories he wants and fans do not influence story movements.

However, people whom he knows and respects, as well as those working on the series with him, have given him food for thought which, if he feels is important, he might consider adapting to his story.

I'm talking about story movements, use of characters, etc. It goes without say that Oda can and will alter the story if there are real-world damaging aspects to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It's also telling that others, like Baby-5 and Law, despite being in the group since childhood, left at the first opportunity and felt zero loyalty. Law even downright trying to kill him and all.
    Well Law didn't spend to long there. He also got kidnapped(by Rocinante) and Doflamingo killed his replacement dad in front of him. So I wouldn't say he left at the first occasion and saying he's been there since childhood make it seems like he spent much more than the 2 years he did. Also had some solid motivation to kill Doffly.

Baby 5 is fair.

Don't mess with the Law if you don't have an Ace up your sleeve.

Just brought this up in another thread, but, for instance, look at the character polls. Oda feels no pressure at all to cater to the whims of who is fan favorite of the day and keep including them just because they're popular. (Well, maybe Law and Marco.) You have someone like Jimbe who was 110th place in popularity in one poll up to 6th place now. But Oda didn't include him less or alter the story because of reaction, nor did he bend the story to have Hancock join the crew, he keeps telling the story.

That said, he will trust his editors if they tell him "this is a little dull" and then do something to mix things up like introduce the supernovas to make Sabondy more unpredictable.

(Yes I know, the story goes he created that revised chapter outline on the spot in half an hour. And I'm sure that's true. But even for Oda, that set of characters was too distinct, too well designed, too varied, to have been something he made up whole cloth then and there. i think he had at least some of them in mind prior to that and just intended to introduce them in the new world as rivals.)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    LJSR

Good on you for questioning that! Personally, I do believe there's enough evidence for us to believe that Mingo is the way he is because he's just chaos.

1. As you noted there's the case of Corazon's observation. If it was a villain or an uninformed/untrustworthy character we could easily question his observation but Corazon, as a role-model character, is likely a trustworthy mouthpiece for Oda. The story tells us that he *should* know Mingo. We know that he's spent time with him and we know that, as an adult, he is evaluating Mingo's actions with a clear and unbiased mind *since he was subjected to the same atrocities as Mingo*.

2. Homing made a legit effort (as far as we know) to help Mingo grow into a kind (if not normal) adult. Now, failed/successful parenting issues aside, with what little we know Oda's portrayal of him is supposed to inform us that *he made the effort to do so*. He might have sucked at it, but we're supposed to believe that an influential person in Mingo's life tried to make sure he grew up with kindness in his heart and despite those efforts.

3. The sunglasses thing.
    Hmmm was just thinking made the sunglasses arent intended to be a thing that demonstrates a lack of any semblance of Mingo's humanity but instead are a mask to his emotions so that we can never be quite sure about his character. You said it yourself he is chaos personified so I think it's possible oda wanted there to be room for different characterization here. I mean at marineford he basically shows up and says his first big line questioning who's in the right here, how two kids in luxury and poverty will have much different views.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

No reason they aren't that too.

But seriously, check out Z. It's totally what they were going for.

Hey Greg, how about making a video about trivia in the movies and maybe what you think of each of them.
    The epic battle of BusterCall vs. Don is decided !!!
    And the results are 3:2 for Don..

I think it was obvious that Oda doesn’t bend to fan whims when he cut Law out of the story at the height of his popularity.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information