+ Reply to Thread
Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 53 103 143 151 152 153
Results 3,041 to 3,049 of 3049

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Don't really see why Sanji couldn't have broken that mace with his kick. Not too long ago we've seen him holding the cart, the seal and the cake in the air with his kicks while doing one legged Geppo. It was a cake walk for him.
    I meant that more Charlottes would come and just one stalling him would have led to the same thing.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    We knew it was heading towards Cacao Island since Ch. 885. It set sail at the same time as Smoothie and co., though I guess it was clearly in a different location from the BM Pirates.
    Oh damn, my mistake. Thank you! I'm actually really glad I'm wrong about this, I never actually noticed that. The speed it got there was a little awkward, but I'll mark it up to geographical differences.

The fact the ship was foreshadowed in Chapter 885 still means that Sanji could have overheard or learned about the flagship coming soon. Heck, Jinbe could have known since he works with Big Mom. All we need is a little more dialogue to work everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    I was mainly just talking about his plan of getting Luffy to the ship, not the escape from there. SO the above points on Oven and Big Mom

Yeah no coordination with the Fishmen Pirates around and JINBEI being on the ship is a weird issue.
    The Fishman Pirates have personally been an issue for me the entire arc. They feel like such an afterthought that are barely connected to the main plot. And the fact that they kept coming back after being told to go away actually annoyed more than being endearing. Although I will admit that their farewell to Jinbe this chapter and the panels with them risking their lives in battle made me feel a little more content with them.

Also, this entire conversation about Sanji's flawed rescue procedure reminds me a lot of this scene from one of my favorite cartoons as a kid:

Spoiler:

I hope the video starts at the 20 minute mark. Altering start times into YouTube video URLs for forum posts is always almost impossible for me.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

I read the latest pages so let me contribute with some fast thoughts.

- Oda-sensei decided that this will be the year of Sanji in another way than we anticipated. We (at the beggining) thought, okay, Sanji's gonna kick somebody's ass. Then he gets beat up by his family / Judge. So we are like, okay, his CAKE will be the big retribution and as of yet it haven't delivered that much. BUT, BUT... That's not what Oda-sensei wanted.

If we look closely in the arc we can see that Sanji has shown amazing character traits and development. Okay, he could be a freakin sci-fi robbot costume warrior yet he is a freakin Chef that almost died in the East Blue. His own Father and siblings made his life hell but still he has the POWER to let that all be past, focusing on figuring how to go back to his Captain. HE IS NOT EVEN INTERESTED IN REVENGE! He cares about Pudding although she wants to kill him, because he see right through her feelings. He cares about Big Mom destroying everything (Including Sunny) and he creates a cake that tastes amazing (at least we know that much - bege almost died from it). Sanji has proven to be an amazing character and Oda wanted to present it in this way. Luffy won against Cracker and Katakuri, he is a master of Haoshoku and Armament. Sanji could not go toe-to-toe against any sweet commander or Oven / Perospero. Sanji is a master of CO-O, he managed to dodge a Katakuri attack afterall. There is room for improvement in that area while he has the right opponents to take. Right now, Sanji taking off a sweet-commander would DEHYPE Calamities. Thats why that had to be Luffy's limit for now. Going up against a fodder of Big Mom crew would not offer anything more than Sanji beating Judge in the end or something like that. Sanji's done enough this arc. Just not in the way we wanted.

WANO will be a good arc for Sanji.

Damn it Count, now you've got me down the rabbit hole of watching KND episodes on Youtube one after another
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Quote Originally Posted by Mugiwara-San View Post
    I read the latest pages so let me contribute with some fast thoughts.

- Oda-sensei decided that this will be the year of Sanji in another way than we anticipated. We (at the beggining) thought, okay, Sanji's gonna kick somebody's ass. Then he gets beat up by his family / Judge. So we are like, okay, his CAKE will be the big retribution and as of yet it haven't delivered that much. BUT, BUT... That's not what Oda-sensei wanted.

If we look closely in the arc we can see that Sanji has shown amazing character traits and development. Okay, he could be a freakin sci-fi robbot costume warrior yet he is a freakin Chef that almost died in the East Blue. His own Father and siblings made his life hell but still he has the POWER to let that all be past, focusing on figuring how to go back to his Captain. HE IS NOT EVEN INTERESTED IN REVENGE! He cares about Pudding although she wants to kill him, because he see right through her feelings. He cares about Big Mom destroying everything (Including Sunny) and he creates a cake that tastes amazing (at least we know that much - bege almost died from it). Sanji has proven to be an amazing character and Oda wanted to present it in this way. Luffy won against Cracker and Katakuri, he is a master of Haoshoku and Armament. Sanji could not go toe-to-toe against any sweet commander or Oven / Perospero. Sanji is a master of CO-O, he managed to dodge a Katakuri attack afterall. There is room for improvement in that area while he has the right opponents to take. Right now, Sanji taking off a sweet-commander would DEHYPE Calamities. Thats why that had to be Luffy's limit for now. Going up against a fodder of Big Mom crew would not offer anything more than Sanji beating Judge in the end or something like that. Sanji's done enough this arc. Just not in the way we wanted.

WANO will be a good arc for Sanji.
    Pretty much this. I just hope to see some resolution to some of his attitudes in this arc. Back in chapter 857, Nami said she wouldn't forvige him, but she would forget everything he's done for the time being until their problems were over. I want to see that. There's a lot of consequences that he must ponder over right now.

User of the Gumdrop Rifle Rocko52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Oh damn, my mistake. Thank you! I'm actually really glad I'm wrong about this, I never actually noticed that. The speed it got there was a little awkward, but I'll mark it up to geographical differences.

The fact the ship was foreshadowed in Chapter 885 still means that Sanji could have overheard or learned about the flagship coming soon. Heck, Jinbe could have known since he works with Big Mom. All we need is a little more dialogue to work everything out.

[/spoiler]
    One other (maybe unimportant) thing - but it seems like the ship Bege brought Sanji onto was the Queen Mama Chanter. As I recall, the ships layout/design seemed like it, and it would make sense since earlier after Dressrosa we saw Bege was aboard that ship when they fought with the Swirly-Brows, and since Pekoms was with Bege (and we didn't get to see Bege's personal ship till the great chase in this arc) that just makes further sense that they'd continue in pursuit in the same vessel after some patch-ups. So yeah, it's been here I even before we saw it heading out with the fleet near the start of the chase.

Oda-sensei decided that this will be the year of Sanji in another way than we anticipated.
    This wasn't 'Year of Sanji'.

That was 2016.

People gorged themselves on their own hype for what it meant battlewise.

I always took it to meant, "The year will focus on Sanji."

And...it *did*.

Because people attached meanings to it based on personal expectations and YouTuber theories (lol) they were setting themselves up for major disappoint.

And I get how upset some of them must be because even *I'm* not happy with what he delivered. Or, hmmmm, I should say *how* it's been delivered.

Greg, do you have any idea why he choose to do this?
    Yeah absolutely. Because he wants the story to keep moving. I'm not saying he's censoring himself, but I do believe that he realizes in order to tell the story he *wants to tell* he'd have to spend way too much time at WCI when he wants to keep moving forward. This makes *perfect* sense with his comments from last summer, especially if I'm right about Reverie being a 10-chap (1 vol) sojourn.
    Last edited by Greg; April 18th, 2018 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    This wasn't 'Year of Sanji'.

That was 2017.

People gorged themselves on their own hype for what it meant battlewise.

I always took it to meant, "The year will focus on Sanji."

And...it *did*.

Because people attached meanings to it based on personal expectations and YouTuber theories (lol) they were setting themselves up for major disappoint.

And I get how upset some of them must be because even *I'm* not happy with what he delivered. Or, hmmmm, I should say *how* it's been delivered.

Yeah absolutely. Because he wants the story to keep moving. I'm not saying he's censoring himself, but I do believe that he realizes in order to tell the story he *wants to tell* he'd have to spend way too much time at WCI when he wants to keep moving forward. This makes *perfect* sense with his comments from last summer, especially if I'm right about Reverie being a 10-chap (1 vol) sojourn.
    I was one of those who saw after 864??? that sanji's contributions wouldn't likely be kicking his family's ass and once pudding confirmed she'd make a cake with Sanji's help (874-5?) I was expecting this cake to be a grand scene, the strawhats on the verge of the death after Big Mom showed up and sanji would arrive in a bad ass way with the cake and save them. But even in the chapter where that dies happen, it's definitely light on drama. You got chopper in monster point (but post time-skip that's not an issue) and on fire and the scene where they are being confronted by big mom isn't built up on at all. You know what I mean we cant feel the dread, the pacing of it is so quick that sanji saving the day isn't a "whew moment" but a "oh there he is" one. Then you also got the issue that he doesn't present the cake either, and it continues as a bait for big mom. The cake was of course very important but the delivery of it was too.

You know after typing all of this part of me feels like maybe oda wants us to see the cake as not that special so he can surprise us when it is or something. Like say on Elbaf or somewhere else but with how it looks like the arc is basically over the resolution is OK and maybe I overhyped him coming in right at the right time to stop them from being sliced up but if someone told you the resolution of the cake would be:

Sanji spends most of the climax making a cake to knock out big mom, but he doesn't deliver it himself, it's eaten far away from everyone, he gets zero credit and the cake doesn't even knock her out but merely stall her. It reminds her of her 6th birthday but nothing happens for now with that plot thread. Doesn't that sound a little underwhelming. I mean when you think about in terms of character agency sanji hasn't done a lot in this arc (to help the strawhats) so what he does do should be higher in quality right?
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Discovered Stowaway Big Black Hole's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    So again just so we clear, from what I've read you're arguing that Oda initally planned to resolve most of the plot points at WCI, but realized that this would have taken much longer and so he decided to end this arc without the conflict with Mama being resolved so he could pick those things up at Elbaf, right?

I have to say that this could make sense with regards to Linlin's behavior. Ironically the grudge she now holds against Luffy and the unresolved conflict gives her a reason to chase him and reunite with him. If she would have been appeaseed and made friends with Luffy at this point, there wouldn't be anything which still had to be resolved at Elbaf. This way, Oda makes it more convenient for her to reappear at Elbaf.

But it still leaves some kind of bad taste that Oda didn't think this through if he underestimated the length WCI should take. Yeah, he always underestimates the length his arcs take, but it's gotten even worse after the timeskip. Dressrosa was a similiar situation where we clearly seemed to have a little bit too many characters and plot points and it ended up having over 100 chapters. Story logic dictates that Wano, not Dressrosa, is the climax arc for the New World, so Oda is almost obliged to make Wano even longer than Dressrosa. If he overdoes it again with too many characters and plot points, we could end having something like a 150-chapter arc.

Carrot's still never gonna join the crew.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information