+ Reply to Thread
Page 171 of 200 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 169 170 171 172 173 181 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 3985

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Totally different situations, imo.

Shiki was not name dropped in the manga. There was a comment that only one person had ever escaped from Impel Down, and when that was revealed to be the new movie villain Oda mentioned he wanted to drop Shiki's name in Whitebeard and Shanks' meeting but since he wasn't bound to appear in the manga he refrained from it as not to confuse the readers.
    Since he just used Rox's name I think we can infer that he will appear in the main story. Maybe just as a flashback or something but I believe he will definitely show up.

Greg Ive seem a lot of people that follow the manga but dont care about the movies be worried this rocks captain is just se up for a movie villain and we wont go that deep. Based on how shiki was introduced in the manga do you feel this could be another case or will oda go further into this
    Hard no.

Also, for official sources etc. I believe I'll self-censor to use 'Rox' but I feel fairly strongly Oda wanted it to be 'Rocks'. I don't say this because I know about the character or have a confirmation on the character but because I know Oda's preferences when it comes to Japanese kana that he thinks sound cool/appropriate for shonen manga. Rocks gets that across. Rox is fine though! No qualms about it whatsoever!

Greg a question:

Big mom in Wano (as in she gets there before Kaido is KOed or removed from the island)? Big mom in Elbaf? Big mom in both?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Aggravator via Destiny darktravis's Avatar

Big Mom in Elbaf.

Absolutely.

If only for the the matter of her memories still needing to be addressed. The perfect setting for that would be the place that both houses:
    -The prince that would know the details of the supposed "arranged marriage with Lola" fiasco.
    -The giant who saw the events of that birthday party long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I've long been of the opinion that the Elder Stars are actually pretty upstanding fellows....who hate themselves and what they must do every single day.

I'd be surprised if they weren't adventurers who got caught up in the history of the world and in order to protect people from a nefarious force/their own history, do what they must.

They're afraid of what might happen if someone tries to 'break the wheel' because they know the futility of it.

That's where Luffy comes in because he'll subvert even their expectations.

NOT an easy job for Oda to write, but that's what we trust him to do.
    Completely agree here. They are gray characters, and possibly genuinely good at heart. They seem interested in peace and stability above all. And as far as protecting people from their own history, they aren't even alone in that. At least Shanks and Rayleigh are among other living characters who know the truth, and remain mum about it, Rayleigh implying that it's easy to come to a hasty, incorrect conclusion about it. Their treatment of Shanks further shows that they aren't as ruthless as their reputation seems to be.

Imagine the end of the luffy - blackbeard final fight ending in a tender hug and everyone being moved to stop fighting, sakazuki and akainu shake hands, charloss apologizes for his behavior and doflamingo starts using his strings to help donate clothes to less fortunate kids.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Imagine the end of the luffy - blackbeard final fight ending in a tender hug and everyone being moved to stop fighting, sakazuki and akainu shake hands, charloss apologizes for his behavior and doflamingo starts using his strings to help donate clothes to less fortunate kids.
    He shakes hands with himself?

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Fiction View Post
    He shakes hands with himself?
    Do you expect to ever see Sakazuki shake hands with anyone else but himself?
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

Hard no.

Also, for official sources etc. I believe I'll self-censor to use 'Rox' but I feel fairly strongly Oda wanted it to be 'Rocks'. I don't say this because I know about the character or have a confirmation on the character but because I know Oda's preferences when it comes to Japanese kana that he thinks sound cool/appropriate for shonen manga. Rocks gets that across. Rox is fine though! No qualms about it whatsoever!
    Iirc, Japan tends to associate Rock with rock'n'roll and not the minerals. Hence Megaman's original name being Rockman.
    Do you think that's what Oda is going for with this name, that we'll see something akin to Keith Richards in Pirates of the Caribbean?

On a personal note, I addhere to the Rox spellling because it makes reading somewhat easier since rocks is also a common noun.
    The first time I read the chapter the name was translated as Locks and I first thought it was Hina's nickname, because of her powers, since she was with whom Lacroix was talking to.

Rocks works in japanese as a cool name. In English it's a little bit rougher. If it were introduced in a different way where we very clearly saw the character that might fly, but the way it is, is it a person or a group or a place or what is unclear... and Rox helps clear that up.The right call.

Author's intent should take precedence 99.9% of the time, but when the author doesn't speak fluent English sometimes the translation needs to go against that and do what works better for the local audience.... even if the author actually wrote it in English at some point.

See also Shiryu vs. Shilliew. (Tho I'm sure if we'd gotten it spelled in English immediately we would have stuck with the weird ass spelling.) Or any time where a name is a weird pun like Kuma/Bear. Like maybe juuuust maybe in that one particular instance it should have been translated as Bear, (since so many jokes are made about him being a bear and that's completely lost in English) but it's also a proper name and he was introduced long before those jokes started cropping up. That's a weird super rare outlier though, I'd never suggest Nami be translated as "Wave".

Wild prediction time.

I've been wondering why Shanks is so respected within the WG. Last chapter we even see him stroll in and have a conversation with the five elders. I don't believe he was born with these ties but has somehow earned them. Some have been saying it's bcs he's a yonko, but I have a hard time believing BM or Kaidou could do the same as him.

We know Shanks and Mihawk have some sort of relationship, which has been set up for a long time, and we know Mihawk is a shichibukai even though he seems like the type to not listen or take orders from anyone and he's powerfull enough to do just that. So why is he a shichibukai?

My prediction is that mihawk has some connection to the WG, more precisely Im, and that somehow Shanks helped mihawk get out, and knows his story and the secrets behind Im or the WG, but has elected to not share these secrets with the world. That is why he commands so much respect from the WG and marines. If we assume that mihawk has relations with Im then he's difficult to deal with for the WG, so I'm guessing they let him be as long as he took a seat as shichibukai, to not cut ties completely or something like that. So he's still part of the WG, but it's the freest part of it. He probably doesn't condone what the WG/Im are doing, and that's why he wanted to leave.

Thoughts?

I've long been of the opinion that the Elder Stars are actually pretty upstanding fellows....who hate themselves and what they must do every single day.

I'd be surprised if they weren't adventurers who got caught up in the history of the world and in order to protect people from a nefarious force/their own history, do what they must.

They're afraid of what might happen if someone tries to 'break the wheel' because they know the futility of it.

That's where Luffy comes in because he'll subvert even their expectations.

NOT an easy job for Oda to write, but that's what we trust him to do.
    In a way, similar to Thanos of the last Avengers movie: wanting to "keep balance", and therefore annihilate part of the population, but not with joy or anger - something like that?
    It becomes an interesting (and somewhat) classical twist - of opposition of not good vs bad, rather different visions of seeing/considering what is (the greater) good.

Greg, do you think that at Elbaf Big Mom will recover her memory and become non-hostile to Luffy as an indirect consequence? :-o

xD

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    This better be how Luffy vs. Blackbeard ends:

Spoiler:

Also, I didn't know Sakazuki and Akainu were two separate people. My reading comprehension must be losing its touch.

Im's existence, especially with that empty throne only being introduced and having its significance immediately subverted in one freaking chapters, worries me a little because my gut keeps seeing him as some megalomaniacal tyrant like Emperor Palpatine in Star Wars who is manipulating everything for the sake of selfish corruption, which would ruin pragmatic and morally convoluted the World Government/Marines have been portrayed thus far in the series with differing ideologies and try to present themselves as fair equals despite clear race/class biased.

However, that is only me projecting onto that silhouette without knowing how it will play out. It could go in a much more interesting and consistent direction based on the talk about balance, how the Gorosei already put up with the Celestial Dragons more than they would prefer to for some reason, the Gorosei never enjoying their cruel decisions, and how much we don't know about the Void Century. I will have to reserve judgment and see where Oda goes with this.
    Last edited by Count Mario; June 15th, 2018 at 03:18 PM.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post

Spoiler:

Also, I didn't know Sakazuki and Akainu were two separate people. My reading comprehension must be losing its touch.
    I meant sabo and akainu but yeah it was too funny to change
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

I got a nice mental image of Sakazuki looking in the mirror in self reflection. His reflection is an angry Akainu. He comes to peace with who he is. Brulee is just hanging out on the side.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

I miss Brulee. If Big Mom is the Flying Dutchman, Brulee would be Spongebob (that episode was hilarious).
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

I'd be a lot more worried about the introduction of Im if this were 10 years down the line post raftel and in the final arc of the series, as a last minute addition Oda threw in just to provide someone to punch, the way Naruto handled it.

But setting it up this far in advance, and with the ties to everything else we know about, it should be fine. Its not a last minute deus ex machina, its final puzzle pieces appearing before the story starts locking into place.

The annoying part of IM is that while there was no evidence of her until now, (except her being the National Treasure, and Doffy's orders to kill Moriah, that could have been, or even are, anything else) depends on completelly missreading the character of Blackbeard or the scene where Akainu and the elders are figthing over Doffy's plan.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    The annoying part of IM is that while there was no evidence of her until now, (except her being the National Treasure, and Doffy's orders to kill Moriah, that could have been, or even are, anything else) depends on completelly missreading the character of Blackbeard or the scene where Akainu and the elders are figthing over Doffy's plan.
    How, though? The conversation between Sakazuki and the Elders hints directly at the existence of someone like Imu. Sakazuki says, quoting the official translation, "So you're telling me that the whole mistaken mess about Doflamingo leaving the Warlords was on orders from even higher than you all?" Imu's existence is clearly a huge secret, so Sakazuki at the time can only interpret this information as meaning that the Elders are weak leaders, since they allow CP0 and the Celestial Dragons to act independently.

I don't know what you mean by misreading Blackbeard, though. What does his characterization have to do with Imu's existence?

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post

Spoiler:

Im's existence, especially with that empty throne only being introduced and having its significance immediately subverted in one freaking chapters, worries me a little because my gut keeps seeing him as some megalomaniacal tyrant like Emperor Palpatine in Star Wars who is manipulating everything for the sake of selfish corruption, which would ruin pragmatic and morally convoluted the World Government/Marines have been portrayed thus far in the series with differing ideologies and try to present themselves as fair equals despite clear race/class biased.

However, that is only me projecting onto that silhouette without knowing how it will play out. It could go in a much more interesting and consistent direction based on the talk about balance, how the Gorosei already put up with the Celestial Dragons more than they would prefer to for some reason, the Gorosei never enjoying their cruel decisions, and how much we don't know about the Void Century. I will have to reserve judgment and see where Oda goes with this.
    I think he handled the throne stuff right. It's a clear hypocrisy from the start.
    He even had Stelly state he wanted to sit alone on that throne the first time we see the place. The throne was always meant to have someone sit there, the "we can live together in harmony" was just a lie they tell lesser people. The same way the World Gvt claims to be a very good and friendly organization but we've seen how they prioritize those who sit higher (royalty and celestial dragons) above the common folk. It's a matryoshka of tyrants.

Since we had 1 week of real time betwen chapters and we analyse the shit out of them it may feel a bit a like a switcharoo or something, but if read back to back the chapters hold up, imo. Speacially counting the one before those so that we see Im, then the throne, then both of them. It's well built.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information