+ Reply to Thread
Page 194 of 215 FirstFirst ... 94 144 184 192 193 194 195 196 204 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,880 of 4292

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

  1. #3861

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Canadian dollar prices are about 1.25 higher than US ones in general (it fluctuates depending on the day.) So a 25$ item going up to about 31 or 32$ is within the exchange rate.

    Add in international taxes or bank fees....

    I know my american bank charges me about a dollar every time I pay for 12$ canadian netflix so it coming out to about 35$ Canadian sounds about right.

  2. #3862

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    How much do you guys pay for volumes? They used to say for about 7-8 usd here over a decade ago, but most places had ”get 4 for the price of 3”. Had they still been around the price may have been higher as that’s how inflation goes.

    Anyone remember what you also paid back then for a volume, in addition to the price today?

  3. #3863
    King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Portugal

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    An average manga volume in Portugal should cost around 9 to 10 euros. Bear in mind that the minimum wage here is less than 600 €/month and housing prices have risen through the roof in the last few years since the crisis ended. And that electricity and gas prices are the absolute 3rd highest in the entire EU. Living costs here are ridiculous.
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

  4. #3864

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by auem View Post
    It should be $25.99 a year everywhere, as far as i know. Perhaps you are paying in Canadian currency?

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---


    Do they sell English translated volume or French one?
    If the bulk of the sales are French translated volumes, then they may think it futile to promote digital WSJ.
    But that being said, i don't understand what's stopping them to make the digital copies accessible worldwide. Even if only a handful of people from a country subscribe it, they still make the business.
    The volumes are translated in French.

    If they promoted WSJ and eventually translated it in French (it certainly wouldn't be hard finding competent and passionate translators) I'm sure it would be a blast. France is the second biggest consumer of manga in the world (behind Japan obviously).
    As you said, I can't think of any outcome where they don't make profit.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    An average manga volume in Portugal should cost around 9 to 10 euros. Bear in mind that the minimum wage here is less than 600 €/month and housing prices have risen through the roof in the last few years since the crisis ended. And that electricity and gas prices are the absolute 3rd highest in the entire EU. Living costs here are ridiculous.
    I'm surprised it's that expensive! In France the price of an average volume (say OP or MHA) is 6,9€
    While the minimum wage is almost double


  5. #3865

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Melker View Post
    How much do you guys pay for volumes? They used to say for about 7-8 usd here over a decade ago, but most places had ”get 4 for the price of 3”. Had they still been around the price may have been higher as that’s how inflation goes.

    Anyone remember what you also paid back then for a volume, in addition to the price today?
    It depends on the manga. A Naruto or One Piece '3-in-1' (three volumes sandwiched in one book) goes about $12 in Amazon India. That's roughly $ 4 per volume. Sometimes it can be even cheaper if a seller is giving rebate. It can even go down further by 10%-15% when a bank is giving special cash back for purchasing through it's credit/debit card on Amazon. A single volume goes about $ 5- $ 8 depending on older or newer.
    I bought box-set of "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" in $50 couple of years ago. The same box-set is now on sale for $40.
    On the other hand a single Kindachi volume goes about $100+ .

    P.S: All values are in estimated conversion from Indian Rupees to US Dollar.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”


  6. #3866

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptayn View Post
    The volumes are translated in French.

    If they promoted WSJ and eventually translated it in French (it certainly wouldn't be hard finding competent and passionate translators) I'm sure it would be a blast. France is the second biggest consumer of manga in the world (behind Japan obviously).
    As you said, I can't think of any outcome where they don't make profit.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---



    I'm surprised it's that expensive! In France the price of an average volume (say OP or MHA) is 6,9€
    While the minimum wage is almost double
    the problem in France is that all jumps titles are owned by different editors. I suppose that's why we are not allowed to access English viz jump because that is illegal wrt editors which have bought the rights.
    So far only a few titles have a translation immediately but it's 1€ per chapter which is to expensive.

    otherwise i rather agree with access timeco analysis. Not everyone is as much dedicated into a serie as Greg or Redon. Sure we like one piece and we enjoy discussing it here but without the scanlation we wouldn't be here. So yes now the legal offers are better than before and that is for the best, for us and for the authors

  7. #3867

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by auem View Post
    It depends on the manga. A Naruto or One Piece '3-in-1' (three volumes sandwiched in one book) goes about $12 in Amazon India. That's roughly $ 4 per volume. Sometimes it can be even cheaper if a seller is giving rebate. It can even go down further by 10%-15% when a bank is giving special cash back for purchasing through it's credit/debit card on Amazon. A single volume goes about $ 5- $ 8 depending on older or newer.
    I actually haven't thought about checking Amazon in modern times. Though, since I don't have it in my country I will always have to pay some or shipping. But would feel weird to have all the books in my native language and then all in English; the collection would not be aesthetically pleasing :(

    I could probably get behind an anual or monthly fee for manga, as long as it isn't pricey and then not feel any shame about pirating old chapters (if they weren't included in the subscription).

  8. #3868

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptayn View Post

    I'm surprised it's that expensive! In France the price of an average volume (say OP or MHA) is 6,9€
    While the minimum wage is almost double
    Same in Dubai, 6.91 Euro for raw volumes and 10.73 Euro for VIZ English translated volumes.

  9. #3869

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Melker View Post
    I actually haven't thought about checking Amazon in modern times. Though, since I don't have it in my country I will always have to pay some or shipping. But would feel weird to have all the books in my native language and then all in English; the collection would not be aesthetically pleasing :(

    I could probably get behind an anual or monthly fee for manga, as long as it isn't pricey and then not feel any shame about pirating old chapters (if they weren't included in the subscription).
    subscribing to shonen jump doesnt give you access to a backlog of issues, so if you wanted to catch up on something you'd have to read scans.

  10. #3870

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    It is around 2.38 Euro more expensive than the U.S. price(comparing the same bookstore, Kinokuniya) which is like 3 euros more than the amazon price

  11. #3871
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    A glimpse of the takoyaki party from the blog of famous soprano and actress Marie Tatsumi.

    https://ameblo.jp/piccoli-brillanti/...amp=1534344292

  12. #3872
    Swarthy Yeoman CHiZZoPs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon USA

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    A glimpse of the takoyaki party from the blog of famous soprano and actress Marie Tatsumi.

    https://ameblo.jp/piccoli-brillanti/...amp=1534344292
    Dang, bumping elbows with the greats! Good for you, Greg!

  13. #3873
    Just as planned choperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Right Behind you! MWHAHAHA

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Greg do you think there will ever be a will of D power up? Or is that just bad writing?

    like the super Saiyan transformation of the One Piece world?

    Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

  14. #3874
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    lol literally just finished writing an article about this topic. We'll see if it gets rejected or not.

  15. #3875

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Hey Greg, have you noticed if the jump to Wano after Reverie was as iffy with Japanese fans as it seems to be with Western fans? Have you gotten any impressions about the Wano chapters at all so far?

  16. #3876

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Do you know what I'm wondering about? With Oda saying One Piece is 80% over and Wano just starting, if he's pulling another one of those "combine two concepts to save time" with Wano/Big Mom. Punk Hazard and Dressrosa/Green Bit were supposed to be two different concepts, but he combined them into one to save time. I think the Vinsmokes/Big Mom were another.

    He said Wano is supposed to make Marineford look a joke, and the only way that could happen is if 2 Yonkos are involved. But Katakuri would have to stay behind to guard Whole Cake Island, because I don't see Oda making him a punching bag.

  17. #3877

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai D. Ou View Post
    Do you know what I'm wondering about? With Oda saying One Piece is 80% over and Wano just starting, if he's pulling another one of those "combine two concepts to save time" with Wano/Big Mom. Punk Hazard and Dressrosa/Green Bit were supposed to be two different concepts, but he combined them into one to save time. I think the Vinsmokes/Big Mom were another.

    He said Wano is supposed to make Marineford look a joke, and the only way that could happen is if 2 Yonkos are involved. But Katakuri would have to stay behind to guard Whole Cake Island, because I don't see Oda making him a punching bag.
    I feel like you think oda is running low on time. Him saying one piece is 80% done doesnt mean he lacks time, or theres not much time left. Hes gonna take a while to tell that last 20%. Also, we're not sure if big mom is gonna be in wano or not.

  18. #3878

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Given all the setup for Big Mom and Elbaf, she's probably going to show up there. Fighting Kaidou being bigger than marineford doesn't have to involve two emporers, give how Kaidou has been described and all the forces we know are already involved just on the good guy's side.

    Also, Take Oda's 80% estimate with a grain of salt. Given his track record of estimating his pace (extremely bad. Mid skypeia he said Merry would die "next year" for instance.), the number of things and places we know still need to be adressed (a lot) and the overall pace Oda tends to make any given arc nowadays (longer than it used to be) we're probably not as close to the end as he thinks. And of course, his 80% can mean locationwise, storywise, volume wise, or years spent, and those all have different meanings.

    Obviously Oda knows his plans better than we do and it might turn out that Elbaf is just a quick 10 chapter mini-arc, and Raftel might be a super short setup island rather than a big payoff, and he might take a few narrative shortcuts to trim down some things he would have spent more time on in the past, (like cutting down all the unique zombie generals on Thriller Bark in one go) but if he keeps to anything resembling the pace he's been taking for basically everything and his tendancy to try and wrap up big arcs around the 100 chapter mark...

    Kaidou-2 years (minimum, given the ammount of players involved)
    Elbaf- 1 year
    random stuff (new islands, vegapunk arc, reverie part 2, etc.) 1 year
    Raftel- 1 year
    Final war- 3 years (strawhats fighting blackbeards 1 on 1 with each SH getting ONLY 2 chapters apiece and Luffy getting more would still be 50 chapters by itself) plus epilogue

    Note I'm equating 1 year to about 50 chapters, though Oda doesn't quite hit that pace anymore. And that's lowballing the length of Wano and the final war.

    The very, very fastest I can see the series being done at this point is about 7 years (about 120 volumes for the 30th anniversary) if Oda really guns it, but after WC went as long as it did, and didn't resolve a bunch of its threads, I have a hard time seeing it be much less than 9 or 10 years at this point.

    And lets be honest, if he gets to year 33 and is close to wrapping things up, there will be editorial pressure to slow down and make it last until the 35th anniversary for marketing... as Naruto was clearly made to do.
    Last edited by Robby; August 18th, 2018 at 09:16 PM.

  19. #3879

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Given all the setup for Big Mom and Elbaf, she's probably going to show up there. Fighting Kaidou being bigger than marineford doesn't have to involve two emporers, give how Kaidou has been described and all the forces we know are already involved just on the good guy's side.
    My work friend and I were arguing about whether she shows up. He said since oda hinted something like that so heavy handedly he thought it was for sure happening. I said well

    If We know Big Mom is tied to Elbaf and will be relevant there. Then her showing up in Wano essentially gives her a major role in three arcs in a row with her either being defeated or turning a new leaf in the third. Her hanging out that much before going down seems like it goes against oda's storytellijg. That seems a bit much so she'll have 1 major role as an antagonist of a future arc. So if its between wano and elbaf I'd go with Elbaf.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Also, Take Oda's 80% estimate with a grain of salt. Given his track record of estimating his pace (extremely bad), the number of things and places we know still need to be adressed (a lot) and the overall pace Oda tends to make any given arc nowadays (longer than it used to be) we're probably not as close to the end as he thinks. And of course, his 80% can mean locationwise, storywise, or years spent, and those all have different meanings.

    Obviously Oda knows his plans better than we do and it might turn out that Elbaf is just a quick 10 chapter mini-arc, and Raftel might be a super short setup island rather than a big payoff, and he might take a few narrative shortcuts to trim down some things he would have spent more time on in the past, (like cutting down all the unique zombie generals on Thriller Bark in one go)

    Kaidou-2 years (minimum, given the ammount of players involved)
    Elbaf- 1 year
    random stuff (new islands, vegapunk arc, reverie part 2, etc.) 1 year
    Raftel- 1 year
    Final war- 3 years (strawhats fighting blackbeards 1 on 1 with each SH getting ONLY 2 chapters apiece and Luffy getting more would still be 50 chapters by itself) plus epilogue

    The very, very fastest I can see the series being done at this point is about 7 years if Oda really guns it, but after WC went as long as it did, and didn't resolve a bunch of its threads, I have a hard time seeing it be much less than 9 or 10.
    Does that 1 year prediction include the void century flashback Robby? I used to think it could be 40 chapters by itself about 5 years ago but now Im thinking 12-15 tops.
    Last edited by Long John Silvers Rayleigh; August 18th, 2018 at 09:09 PM.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:



  20. #3880

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Given all the setup for Big Mom and Elbaf, she's probably going to show up there. Fighting Kaidou being bigger than marineford doesn't have to involve two emporers, give how Kaidou has been described and all the forces we know are already involved just on the good guy's side.

    Also, Take Oda's 80% estimate with a grain of salt. Given his track record of estimating his pace (extremely bad. Mid skypeia he said Merry would die "next year" for instance.), the number of things and places we know still need to be adressed (a lot) and the overall pace Oda tends to make any given arc nowadays (longer than it used to be) we're probably not as close to the end as he thinks. And of course, his 80% can mean locationwise, storywise, volume wise, or years spent, and those all have different meanings.

    Obviously Oda knows his plans better than we do and it might turn out that Elbaf is just a quick 10 chapter mini-arc, and Raftel might be a super short setup island rather than a big payoff, and he might take a few narrative shortcuts to trim down some things he would have spent more time on in the past, (like cutting down all the unique zombie generals on Thriller Bark in one go) but if he keeps to anything resembling the pace he's been taking for basically everything and his tendancy to try and wrap up big arcs around the 100 chapter mark...

    Kaidou-2 years (minimum, given the ammount of players involved)
    Elbaf- 1 year
    random stuff (new islands, vegapunk arc, reverie part 2, etc.) 1 year
    Raftel- 1 year
    Final war- 3 years (strawhats fighting blackbeards 1 on 1 with each SH getting ONLY 2 chapters apiece and Luffy getting more would still be 50 chapters by itself) plus epilogue

    Note I'm equating 1 year to about 50 chapters, though Oda doesn't quite hit that pace anymore. And that's lowballing the length of Wano and the final war.

    The very, very fastest I can see the series being done at this point is about 7 years (about 120 volumes for the 30th anniversary) if Oda really guns it, but after WC went as long as it did, and didn't resolve a bunch of its threads, I have a hard time seeing it be much less than 9 or 10 years at this point.

    And lets be honest, if he gets to year 33 and is close to wrapping things up, there will be editorial pressure to slow down and make it last until the 35th anniversary for marketing... as Naruto was clearly made to do.
    Big Mom's forces are half wiped out. She has no chance to set foot on Elbaf, with the Straw Hats after Kaido and the Elbaf army against her.

    Oda literally wrote in that Rox chapter, with that new VA woman that was an Admiral contender (name doesn't come to mind) Big Mom/Kaido colluding to chase Straw Hat, so I don't see how Big Mom showing up to Elbaf makes any sense there, if they form an alliance.

    Big Mom's flashback only served to introduce the readers to Elbaf and Luffy's Giant Crew Members imo.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts