+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    You know, I don't think there such a thing as half-mink.
    Quote Originally Posted by gangonga View Post
    Half fishman-half human and half fishman-half giant is a cannon thing(as weird it may be)so why not?
    Maybe because Minks are not a race.
    A half-mink doesn't have to be half-mink/half-human. IF there are half-fishman/half-giant, then there could be half-mink/half-giant.
    But I understand you're talking about half-mink/half-human.... I agree with below.

At Sabaody archipelago,when Duval showed Sanji the list with all the known races and their price if they were to be sold,the Minks were listed along the giants,fishmen,dwarfes,longarms etc.
    Good point. Thanks for reminding me
    Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Well, this thread just took a horrible turn!

in response to thread derailment in Theories thread here

At Sabaody archipelago,when Duval showed Sanji the list with all the known races and their price if they were to be sold,the Minks were listed along the giants,fishmen,dwarfes,longarms etc.
    This don't answer nothing since Longarms and Longlegs still count as humans.

This don't answer nothing since Longarms and Longlegs still count as humans.
    they do?
    always considered them another race

Considering that we know that giants and fishmen, fishmen and mermaids, fishmen and humans and mermaid and human can breed, wouldn't that make them the same specie? My guess is that only dwarves are outside the " egg group", and that's more for... Scale reasons.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Considering that we know that giants and fishmen, fishmen and mermaids, fishmen and humans and mermaid and human can breed, wouldn't that make them the same specie?
    Yes, I think it's the exact definition of species. I agree.

Considering that we know that giants and fishmen, fishmen and mermaids, fishmen and humans and mermaid and human can breed, wouldn't that make them the same specie? My guess is that only dwarves are outside the " egg group", and that's more for... Scale reasons.
    Yes, that's correct. According to Ernst Mayer's biological concept of species, species are members of population of group of populations who have the potential to interbreed in nature, but who cannot interbreed with members of other populations or species. 'Appearance' is not what defines species. You may find creatures who are identical appearance, but cannot interbreed in nature. As example of this, look for two birds: 'Willow Flycatcher' & 'Alder Flycatcher'. These two birds are identical in appearance insomuch as not even an expert ornithologist can tell them apart based on just their appearance. The only thing that differentiates them is the way they sing. Anyway, it seems that 'reproductive isolation' is something that doesn't exist between anthropomorphic or humanoid creatures in the realm of One Piece.

There are several biological definitions of 'species', which are closely related but not quite identical. The idea that "species" represents some kind of hard barrier to interbreeding is pretty much passe, however: there are many known cases of species which are able to interbreed to produce viable offspring. Usually, modern definitions involve some kind of barrier to the interbreeding being a frequent occurrence in nature: this could be an inability to produce viable offspring, but it can also be differences in behavior or geographical isolation which results in little or no genetic flow between the two populations. For one such example, servals (Leptailurus serval) and domesticated housecats (Felis catus) can interbreed to produce Savannah cats (which are often fertile), despite not even being members of the same genus.

There are various concepts of ‘species’, and they are not entirely incompatible; they simply emphasize different ‘aspects’ of species. Mayr’s BSC (Biological Species Concept) emphasizes that reproductive isolation is what keeps sexual lineages on the tree of life separated from one another.

For many geneticists, the BSC is the preferred description of species because it emphasizes reproductive isolation between species.

The BSC has its drawbacks as well. For instance, it cannot be applied to organisms that are extinct(fossil species) or species that reproduces asexually(like prokaryotic organisms).

Quote Originally Posted by Australopithecus View Post
    There are various concepts of ‘species’, and they are not entirely incompatible; they simply emphasize different ‘aspects’ of species. Mayr’s BSC (Biological Species Concept) emphasizes that reproductive isolation is what keeps sexual lineages on the tree of life separated from one another.

For many geneticists, the BSC is the preferred description of species because it emphasizes reproductive isolation between species.

The BSC has its drawbacks as well. For instance, it cannot be applied to organisms that are extinct(fossil species) or species that reproduces asexually(like prokaryotic organisms).
    There are plenty of prezygotic barriers that can exist within a species, though. Birds are known for having a variety of regional dialects that prevent mating. White-crowned sparrows, for instance, populate the entire United States but plenty of research has been done illustrating how birds from the west and east won't recognize each other's songs. Dialects can form in much smaller regions too, especially if ranges are small or the two populations are separated by a geographic or different zygote barrier such as breeding out of phase.

Side note because it's cool: ring species. The best-documented example of a ring species is the Ensatina eschscholtzii (no real common name), which is unique because its low vagility has formed a number of different subspecies as it populates the coastal and Sierra mountain ranges of California. Starting from the top, each subspecies can breed with its neighbors, but once you reach the bottom of the ring the two subspecies that meet there cannot interbreed. It's kind of awesome.

Basically, the definition of "species" within the scientific community is starting to be in flux. "Lineages" is probably a good alternative.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Anyways, if I were to make a phylogeny of the different races in One Piece I'd probably use dwarves as an outgroup, then fishmen/merpeople, minks, giants, humans, and finally Longarms and Longlegs. We'll never find out anyway so who cares if it's right?

Though actually, we've never seen a Longarm or Longleg hybrid. Hmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post

...Maybe it would look like Shawn Bradley or something.

Now I'm wanting a pair of siblings to show up, one with long arms and legs and one that just looks like a normal human, having inherited the non-long traits from each parent.

Considering that to date, we've only seen like 3 long-arms and 1 long-legs, there's not much of a sample to judge from.

We've seen what, five full-blooded giants? Ten including VAs? But we've still seen at least three half-human giants and a half-fishman, half-giant hybrid. I get what you're saying but I really wonder what a half-Longarm human would look like.

Actually it would probably be a person with normal length but double-jointed arms or a person with long arms but only one set of elbows. There's no reason to think they couldn't interbreed outside of just not having witnessed it yet.
    Last edited by Jabberwok; November 16th, 2015 at 07:53 PM.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

We've seen what, five full-blooded giants? Ten including VAs? But we've still seen at least three half-human giants and a half-fishman, half-giant hybrids. I get what you're saying but I really wonder what a half-Longarm human would look like.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Actually it would probably be a person with normal length but double-jointed arms or a person with long arms but only one set of elbows. There's no reason to think they couldn't interbreed outside of just not having witnessed it yet.
    I believe it's 5 Elbaf giants, 11 Marine giants, two of the super-big, devil-looking giants, and good ol' San Juan Wolf.

And those two Level Six ones, I guess

Every human is a Longleg longarm hybrid, with the legs of a longarm and the arms of a Longleg.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Considering that to date, we've only seen like 3 long-arms
    I'm counting 5 longarms :)

- Apoo
    - the kidnappers/managers of Brook
    - Ideo

yes, I know, just nitpicking, sorry... I need my fix of OP ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Considering that to date, we've only seen like 3 long-arms and 1 long-legs, there's not much of a sample to judge from.
    2 long-legs. Tamago and Bluegilly.

some have been joking about what a hybrid of a long arm & long leg would look like. Some say human, some say long legs and long arms but only one elbow....

Since my idea of such a hybrid is really not on topic and is a joke... I'll comment on it in the dumb predictions thread

2 long-legs. Tamago and Bluegilly.
    3 long-legs.

Tamago, Bluegilly & the unnamed member of Tsuru's unit.
    https://one-piece.com/special/greg/20150909_0455

Also, new column's up.
    https://one-piece.com/special/greg/20151118_0487

Merry seems more and more like a mink. I was going to say mink ancestor due to the horns... but the pic you give Greg, reminds me that Merry's mouth is more animal-like than human like and his heritage is closer to being one of his parents than farther back.

The main difference between Merry and that girl is that she has a tail and he has that neck ruff ... well its possible she does and we just cant see it in that pic.... And fur... she's likely to have fur (I just can't see it on legs/arms in that pic).
    Merry doesn't have a tail nor fur except the already mentioned neck ruff.

1- So its possible Merry is half-mink with only the mouth, horns, hair & neck ruff as traits of mink parent.
    OR
    2- He's a mink that somehow lost a tail and shaves his body.

I'm going for #1 for now..... likely (hopefully) someone mails in SBS ? on Merry and mink blood soon....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information