+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    Definitely agree there. In the last two years things always keep changing for me, and whenever an opportunity presents itself I try for it. Doesn't always work out, but you need to try. This is something I might go into another time, but this is how people can be separated from "success" and "unsuccessful" (I put them in quotations because of people's varied opinion on what defines it). I have friends who don't do well with those random cases, and it causes them to get into a slump, and not taking advantage of opportunities makes it worse.

Not sure if I found Freedom to be a scary concept. Then again, as I had in one of my earlier posts I was scared to think outside my bubble for a long time, so perhaps that was me being scared of freedom (freedom of thought). Also, what Manga are you trying to finish from 2008? (Is it about a family's bizarre adventure)
    The sad part is that most people want new things to happen in a fast pace (maybe because of the internet, IDK), but life is not like that, you still have to wait for specific things to happen in a specific date or period.

I think that freedom is a scary concept because when you finally have the liberty of doing what you want, you don't know what to do, as long as you live with your parents, you have to follow certain rules (EX: no drugs, no alcohol, you can't wear this, you can't go there). But when you live by yourself, you can make your own rules, you are free to experience all you want, and here is where the scary part lies, there is no limit.

But hey, there is always YOLO, right ?

And yes, is that Manga, really glad I started to read it.
    When AP used to be good:

NEVER FORGET !!

Decided to go on a very heavy topic. This delves into religion and politics which I talk mainly about my viewpoint on a certain subject.

Spoiler:
    So I used to be a homophobe, and this only changed recently (only a few months ago if I'm being honest). As I said before, I only recently started allowing myself to take in other world views, and this has been one of those things that has changed since then. It has been gradual over the last few years, but I only really have gotten over it recently. Thinking back on it, it seems so silly that I had such a view point. That said, it's been a fascinating thing to think back on and see why it was something I held on for so long, and how events slowly changed me.

So a little background information, which can probably be assumed based on the view I had but one I still feel needing to address just incase. I grew up as a preachers kid in a conservative family. Not necessarily a terrible thing but depending on the mindset and views that can be quite interesting. That said, my parents were never huge on saying "this is evil/sinful and should ostracized". It was more about accepting people and some of the more admiral aspects that can come with the faith. Despite that, there seems to be certain aspects that come with being taught Christian values that even if not explicitly taught can pop up at a later time. At no point where homosexuals or any other LGBT topics brought up. At first I thought it was weird that if my parents never talked about how it was bad that I would have the mindset. However, since then I have learned that not talking about certain subjects can be more harmful compared to talking about it.

When someone brings up a subject, that's admitting that something exists. When you talk about current events, even if you don't agree with a certain aspect you still admit that the event is happening. By not talking at all about LGBT stuff, you grow up ignorant about such things. Then when you get to a certain age and learn about a subject never breached it can be a shock. This is where your whole world view comes into question and a decision is breached. Like I said before, for the longest time I would push it away, and this is where it started. Learning that the LGBT group existed, my world view came into question. Living in a conservative area and having those beliefs up to that time allowed me to continually have my world view backed up more often than not. As such, I pushed it away and considered this "different" thing to be wrong.

There is another problem which I have to address in this topic, which is the difference between the loud mouths and those that stay quiet. People find the loud mouths obnoxious and can dislike them. On the flip side, those that stay quiet and don't speak loudly all the time can either be in the background, or people won't mind being with them. Being a more quiet person (a story for another time), I would get along with people well because I would heed on not talking about "controversies". On the one hand, I could be on amicable terms with other people despite differences. On the other hand, I could act friendly with people, but deep down there was a divide that separated us. I knew some people who were of different faiths, sexualities, and cultures, and while I could get along with them, I quietly had in my mind the thought that they were wrong, and that their beliefs and actions were wrong. Insert the responses you get from the stereotypical Christian and you get the idea of what I was like.

By not being loud about my beliefs, I only get myself the idea that I am correct by never being challenged. I can make up arguments in my head where I am correct all the time and make myself think I am correct. This continues for a long time and makes things worse. The part I consider to be the worst is how I was not really a friend, but a fraud who if an actual situation came up I would throw them under the bus. A loud mouth may not necessarily get their minds changed, but at least you know what to expect from them. As for me, I am someone just pretending to be a friend but in reality have been judgmental the whole time. Now I did have actual connections and didn't think people to be terrible, but the fact that I wasn't upfront about certain things was something that wasn't exactly good.

So up through the end of college, I was still like this. Come to politics and other stuff I would just not talk about my stances. Talking about video games and other entertainment was the main stuff I wanted to talk about, because there I could respect other thoughts. However, as I found myself offshore and having free time, I found myself looking into sights and other stuff. The places I went to had opinions that greatly differed from mine, and I went through different phases. At first it was the same, where I thought it was hilarious and illogical. Then I would look but didn't want to because it scared me, not because I thought it was a bad thing but that I couldn't think of a proper argument to give back (assuming I was actually going to argue). Then I just started reading all these different opinions, with small changes in my views. Eventually, I got to the point where instead of reading the stuff, the words made me evaluate myself.

First I wondered if I was right or they were right. Things that used to be a simple black or white become much more complex (some which is a story for another time). Then the biggest thing was that while some issues can be quite gray, there are certain aspects which no matter how you frame it, if you are against it you are being an asshole. Overtime my thoughts on LGBT issues changed, where at first I just accepted their existence. Then I decided while I thought it was wrong, they still had the right to do what they want. After various other thoughts that I can't put into words went through, I learned the truth. I was being a stubborn person, and that trying to fight against something like this was wrong. Everyone is different and we should accept people for who they are. It's not them who are wrong, but me.

Since that revelation, my viewpoints on a lot of things have been changing. I won't go in depth about certain political views, since they aren't as huge and can be summed up by "things are more complicated than I gave it credit for". Now I go into things with a more open mind and truly accept people for who they are. We are all different and it's both the similarities and differences I should appreciate.

One last thing, I want to apologize to everyone out there. Even if it wasn't direct, I indirectly judged people on these things and was against you. While not outspoken, I still supported legislation that was against equal opportunity such as allowing gay marriage among other things. It's not a proud moment of my life, but I hope to make up over time for that.

Eh, you donīt need to be sorry about it. The environment you were in wasnīt the most proper one to learn about these kind of issues, and no one is born educated.
    LGBT rights thing is one of those issues which I honestly never saw one reasonable, logical argument anyone could give against it, and itīs one of the few discussions in which, quite honestly, I see as black and white.

This being said, the part I enjoyed the most about reading this was not your stance on this issue, but how you could look at your past self and realize your flaws, especially the "being quite while judging" part. It takes guts for anyone to make these kinds of self-analyzes and realize that maybe they werenīt the most ideal person around.
    This being said, donīt beat yourself too much for it, and you donīt really need "to make up over time" for anything youīve done. Itīs all part of the "growing up" experience, and as the Duke of Nuts said: "Hey, it's okay. People make mistakes. It's all part of growing up and you never truly stop growing.".

It might also be dangerous to try to have a self-loating like feeling and trying to "make-up" for it.
    Remember that the same people that open your mind might also be quite prejudiced themselves about a lot of different subjects and for a lot of different reasons. Itīs rare to know someone that can have a perfectly balanced and rational opinion about most subjects up for discussion, so before accepting it (in the sense of adhering to it) someoneīs take on something, rationalize about it, even if with your gut. Problematizing about something that seems obvious wonīt make you the bad guy. Only for people keen to shove it down your throat.

Decided to go on a very heavy topic. This delves into religion and politics which I talk mainly about my viewpoint on a certain subject.

Spoiler:
    So I used to be a homophobe, and this only changed recently (only a few months ago if I'm being honest). As I said before, I only recently started allowing myself to take in other world views, and this has been one of those things that has changed since then. It has been gradual over the last few years, but I only really have gotten over it recently. Thinking back on it, it seems so silly that I had such a view point. That said, it's been a fascinating thing to think back on and see why it was something I held on for so long, and how events slowly changed me.

So a little background information, which can probably be assumed based on the view I had but one I still feel needing to address just incase. I grew up as a preachers kid in a conservative family. Not necessarily a terrible thing but depending on the mindset and views that can be quite interesting. That said, my parents were never huge on saying "this is evil/sinful and should ostracized". It was more about accepting people and some of the more admiral aspects that can come with the faith. Despite that, there seems to be certain aspects that come with being taught Christian values that even if not explicitly taught can pop up at a later time. At no point where homosexuals or any other LGBT topics brought up. At first I thought it was weird that if my parents never talked about how it was bad that I would have the mindset. However, since then I have learned that not talking about certain subjects can be more harmful compared to talking about it.

When someone brings up a subject, that's admitting that something exists. When you talk about current events, even if you don't agree with a certain aspect you still admit that the event is happening. By not talking at all about LGBT stuff, you grow up ignorant about such things. Then when you get to a certain age and learn about a subject never breached it can be a shock. This is where your whole world view comes into question and a decision is breached. Like I said before, for the longest time I would push it away, and this is where it started. Learning that the LGBT group existed, my world view came into question. Living in a conservative area and having those beliefs up to that time allowed me to continually have my world view backed up more often than not. As such, I pushed it away and considered this "different" thing to be wrong.

There is another problem which I have to address in this topic, which is the difference between the loud mouths and those that stay quiet. People find the loud mouths obnoxious and can dislike them. On the flip side, those that stay quiet and don't speak loudly all the time can either be in the background, or people won't mind being with them. Being a more quiet person (a story for another time), I would get along with people well because I would heed on not talking about "controversies". On the one hand, I could be on amicable terms with other people despite differences. On the other hand, I could act friendly with people, but deep down there was a divide that separated us. I knew some people who were of different faiths, sexualities, and cultures, and while I could get along with them, I quietly had in my mind the thought that they were wrong, and that their beliefs and actions were wrong. Insert the responses you get from the stereotypical Christian and you get the idea of what I was like.

By not being loud about my beliefs, I only get myself the idea that I am correct by never being challenged. I can make up arguments in my head where I am correct all the time and make myself think I am correct. This continues for a long time and makes things worse. The part I consider to be the worst is how I was not really a friend, but a fraud who if an actual situation came up I would throw them under the bus. A loud mouth may not necessarily get their minds changed, but at least you know what to expect from them. As for me, I am someone just pretending to be a friend but in reality have been judgmental the whole time. Now I did have actual connections and didn't think people to be terrible, but the fact that I wasn't upfront about certain things was something that wasn't exactly good.

So up through the end of college, I was still like this. Come to politics and other stuff I would just not talk about my stances. Talking about video games and other entertainment was the main stuff I wanted to talk about, because there I could respect other thoughts. However, as I found myself offshore and having free time, I found myself looking into sights and other stuff. The places I went to had opinions that greatly differed from mine, and I went through different phases. At first it was the same, where I thought it was hilarious and illogical. Then I would look but didn't want to because it scared me, not because I thought it was a bad thing but that I couldn't think of a proper argument to give back (assuming I was actually going to argue). Then I just started reading all these different opinions, with small changes in my views. Eventually, I got to the point where instead of reading the stuff, the words made me evaluate myself.

First I wondered if I was right or they were right. Things that used to be a simple black or white become much more complex (some which is a story for another time). Then the biggest thing was that while some issues can be quite gray, there are certain aspects which no matter how you frame it, if you are against it you are being an asshole. Overtime my thoughts on LGBT issues changed, where at first I just accepted their existence. Then I decided while I thought it was wrong, they still had the right to do what they want. After various other thoughts that I can't put into words went through, I learned the truth. I was being a stubborn person, and that trying to fight against something like this was wrong. Everyone is different and we should accept people for who they are. It's not them who are wrong, but me.

Since that revelation, my viewpoints on a lot of things have been changing. I won't go in depth about certain political views, since they aren't as huge and can be summed up by "things are more complicated than I gave it credit for". Now I go into things with a more open mind and truly accept people for who they are. We are all different and it's both the similarities and differences I should appreciate.

One last thing, I want to apologize to everyone out there. Even if it wasn't direct, I indirectly judged people on these things and was against you. While not outspoken, I still supported legislation that was against equal opportunity such as allowing gay marriage among other things. It's not a proud moment of my life, but I hope to make up over time for that.
    Fascinating read, Batanky. When someone is able to step outside their own view and recognize that foreign customs and beliefs are simply different, not necessarily wrong, it makes it all the easier to recognize that their own background and upbringing is the same way.

I'm curious, if you're comfortable discussing it- have you talked about your change in perspective to your parents at all?

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    Eh, you donīt need to be sorry about it. The environment you were in wasnīt the most proper one to learn about these kind of issues, and no one is born educated.
    LGBT rights thing is one of those issues which I honestly never saw one reasonable, logical argument anyone could give against it, and itīs one of the few discussions in which, quite honestly, I see as black and white.

This being said, the part I enjoyed the most about reading this was not your stance on this issue, but how you could look at your past self and realize your flaws, especially the "being quite while judging" part. It takes guts for anyone to make these kinds of self-analyzes and realize that maybe they werenīt the most ideal person around.
    This being said, donīt beat yourself too much for it, and you donīt really need "to make up over time" for anything youīve done. Itīs all part of the "growing up" experience, and as the Duke of Nuts said: "Hey, it's okay. People make mistakes. It's all part of growing up and you never truly stop growing.".

It might also be dangerous to try to have a self-loating like feeling and trying to "make-up" for it.
    Remember that the same people that open your mind might also be quite prejudiced themselves about a lot of different subjects and for a lot of different reasons. Itīs rare to know someone that can have a perfectly balanced and rational opinion about most subjects up for discussion, so before accepting it (in the sense of adhering to it) someoneīs take on something, rationalize about it, even if with your gut. Problematizing about something that seems obvious wonīt make you the bad guy. Only for people keen to shove it down your throat.
    Glad you enjoyed the read. I'll do my best to not to be too negative about things. The wording just came out because looking back it's just something that makes me uncomfortable thinking about having that kind of mind set. As for your last part. that's why I don't post often in certain threads. I still need to learn certain aspects of politics and digest it before I can start saying what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Fascinating read, Batanky. When someone is able to step outside their own view and recognize that foreign customs and beliefs are simply different, not necessarily wrong, it makes it all the easier to recognize that their own background and upbringing is the same way.

I'm curious, if you're comfortable discussing it- have you talked about your change in perspective to your parents at all?
    I have not been able to bring myself to talk to them about it. They can be quite accepting about things, but I know their stance on the issue and they wouldn't be happy about it. It's one thing about acceptance but when it comes to being for legalizing gay marriage and supporting general LGBT stuff, it goes in a different direction. It could be that telling them won't be as bad as I think it would, but they would probably go on for a while about how it was wrong, and while I can type out a good argument over time, talking in person about these things can be hit or miss. Over time I do hope to breach the subject in some way, but that is a ways off at this time.

I feel like my topics have been a bit heavy lately, which while I like those kinds of topics I like to keep a balance. So this time I thought I decide to share some work stories that I remember from the days of yonder.

Spoiler:
    Back in the Summer of 2006 I started my first part time job as a Life Guard at a water park. I was only just finishing my Freshman Year of high school, and a job that I could just hold for the summer seemed to be perfect since the school year was too busy to hold a job. Going in I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but things proved to be worse as I started my first summer. If anyone has been in the Houston area for the summer, we get 100% humidity all the time with blazing temperatures. Wind is almost non-existent and days were mostly cloudless unless it was going to rain that day. As an out of shape person this made things harder but I learned to live with it and over time gained endurance where I could work 10 hours a day 6 days a week and be ok.

With a place which 1000's of people came on a regular basis, customers were obviously going to be a hassle. When a person buys a ticket or season pass, many feel that they can just do what they want and ignore the rules. Add to the fact that lifeguard jobs (at least at that park) were held by 16 to 20 year olds, many people felt above the guards, because how could a person younger than them, even if just a few years, know more than them? This made work a constant battle of trying to enforce rules, where if you were between the person and the ride a confrontation was inevitable. Unlike life where you can try and choose your battles, I was forced to take every battle, no matter how small. I realized this when I was leaving and shortly before the exit a guy ran past me. I didn't say anything because I was so tired, and a supervisor from a different department of the park chewed me out. Thus I had to yell out no running every few seconds knowing it wouldn't do anything.

The main problem came from the unknown pain that I didn't expect. I could handle the heat and the customers, those were things that I expected and could handle mostly. When fellow lifeguards turn out to be your worst enemy, that makes things harder. There was a small percentage of guards that took their job seriously and did what was asked of them. Usually this meant you could count them with both your hands, assuming all the good ones were there. The rest would be lazy and take their sweet time to replace you at the worst areas, and they would not enforce the rules. This lead to a result that if I tried to enforce a height restriction, a parent would inevitably tell me their child went down before, and I would have to explain to them why I couldn't let them down. This leads to the first story I want to share.

It's Fourth of July and we have over ten thousand people in the park. It's been a few months since I started my first summer, but I feel I've been getting a hang of the ropes. While I had no ability to quell disputes among guests and guests overall didn't take me seriously, I was able to hold my ground. Many people would get a look at me and decide that being so young they could easily pressure me. After many times of it happening, I quickly learned that any threats made at me (mainly guys bigger than me trying to look bigger and implying something might happen if I said no) lead to nowhere. After the 5th or 6th time I had no hesitation enforcing rules because the threat was empty. Even so, it became quickly annoying when for the 20th time in one week I had to explain to someone why their child can't go down the slide, where I am blamed because I should be like the others and let a child down the slide despite being obviously too small. As a life guard, I am required to enforce the rules and can't just decide if a rule is stupid. A big thing drilled into me was how if I let a kid too small for a ride go down and they get hurt, I was liable. That was enough to make me enforce that rule. Whether it was true that those too small had a heightened risk of getting injured was irrelevant, I wasn't taking a risk of getting my life destroyed for a part time job getting paid minimum wage.

Inevitably, I was confronted on the top of a slide on July 4th. A family of three came up and the child was obviously too small to go down, almost a good foot (30 cm) too small. I told the parents that their child was too small and got the first bit about how other Life Guards had let him down before, and this was his tenth time that day. Always trying to show some semblance of politeness, I apologized and told them he would be at risk going down as small as he was, despite being okay all those other times, and this is where things got different compared to normal. Being a holiday, the guy tried to guilt trip me by asking if I really wanted to ruin his holiday (his being the child), and gave me a stern look. I told him that it's my job and I have a duty to enforce the rules. The father then told me to look at the child because he was crying. During this time the kid was in my peripheral vision and he was just staring at me but nothing else. The father gave him a quick glance and the water works come spilling out.

I was sympathetic at first but this guy is making a scene and making other people in line wait for their turn. Obviously it's frustrating for them to be allowed to go down then someone like me who enforces the height restriction comes in and ruins it. Add in the fact that they had been waiting in line for at least 20 minutes and I can see why they are frustrated. However, I've had people be frustrated but be less of an ass about it and move on. This guy was taking it too far and all sympathy was lost on me. As the kid was crying I just held a stern face, looked at the father, and told him either they all go down together, or the parents go down the slide while the kid walks down the stairs, as those were their two options. The three of them started walking to the stairs when the father turned around and called me an asshole. Glad that it was over, I see the wife lift her hand and smack it across the back of her husbands head. The guy made a bit of a apologetic face and they left in silence.

As the summers went on I got more confident and while I kept a bit of fear in me to stay focused, I became vigilant and could stay calm in any situation. The most I had to do for the longest time was jump in the water to get people to safety, but I never had anyone get injured in my sight or had to give someone CPR. When it came to my 4th summer I was the most experienced regular guard and I always came in feeling like a badass. This was helped by all the supervisors and head guards knowing my name, and they knew that I didn't take shit from anybody. I was actually told by them that I could cuss out a guest if they were being pricks and they would side with me. Thankfully I stayed mostly polite, but I could get snarky but just enough where the guest would have no ground to make a complaint. Many things had changed during those summers I worked, from ownership change to rule changes. The rule changes where the hardest ones as guests for years also had to get used to it.

There was an area where there was a slide and two little rocks, one to just jump off of and another with a rope swing. The rock places for a few summers had no height restrictions, but during my 4th summer that changed. This meant even there I had to enforce the restrictions for reasons that I didn't understand, but I was required to do it. One day a father with his 4 or 5 year old came to the rope swing. The son was less than half the required height, and the dad was pretty large. The guy looked like he hit the weights regularly and towered over me. I told him his child was too small and that he couldn't go down. The father gets inches in front of me and flexes asking me "You want to repeat that. I almost smirked as I had people bigger than him make threats, and even if he did try to do something he would get banned from the park. I was about to say something when a voice came from behind him.

"Can I help you sir". The guy moves away and turns around where I see three of my supervisors standing behind him. All three of them were bulkier and/or taller than him, and all three of them staring at him pissed off, waiting to hear the response from this guy. The guy makes a nervous chuckle and told them he was just getting ready to leave. He takes his kid and walks down the stairs. After he reaches the bottom the supervisors turn around and ask me if I'm okay. I smile and thank them after telling them I'm fine. Before they leave they say "If you ever need help, don't hesitate to ask us, we'll back you up. That was they day where I truly felt like a boss, as only one of them needed to come but the three of them saw what was going on and all three of them wanted to help.

In the end I worked 5 summers at that place. It was a pain and there were many of days that I didn't want to be there. However, I feel that I only got this far because of all the things I learned to do during that job. While I'm not aggressive, I learned how to not be intimidated by others. I also learned how to be calm in stressful situations. The biggest thing was working at an early age allowed me to go on my first big international travel, a story I shall save for another time.

The following will have spoilers for Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. As far as JoJo spoilers will be limited to part 1 through 4, but the other series will go into what is current, or in Naruto's case, end of series stuff.

Spoiler:
    This year is quite exciting for me as far as entertainment is concerned. First of all a number of games coming out has me pumped up, from Trails of Cold Steel 2 and Persona 5, to Trails in the Sky third chapter being confirmed for release early next year. On the other side, my favorite part of JoJo is only a few episodes in and has me giddy. While I am more hyped for each new episode of JoJo, despite already having read the manga, One Piece has been hitting it out of the park for me personally each chapter this year so far, having me wonder when it'll hit get to the point of good but not orgasmic as it has been this year.

Now I have to come out and say that I have a huge bias for One Piece. I love this series to death and can call it my favorite piece of fiction, or at least in the top three. It has flaws like anything, but I can easily look over those flaws anytime and latch on to the good. This is no more apparent than Dressrosa, an arc that bounced around many plot points, many of which were done poorly to mediocre, with some being pretty great. If it was most other series, I would be quicker to bash on the problems that Dressrosa had, but in this case I am overall fine and still put this arc in my top five favorite One Piece arcs. For some time I have been trying to think why I can be so forgiving of these flaws when I'm quick to do the same in other works, and it comes down to two different aspects.

The first and easiest one to talk about is how I can see the love in the series. This is not to say that Kubo or Kishimoto hate their stuff or don't put love and effort into their series. However, the detail and effort that comes in each One Piece chapter seems to translate the love Oda has for his series. Even with low points, such as the dwarves being sidelined hard, or severe lack of development of most of the Riku plot, I still see that Oda put some care into these characters and that they have personality. Rebecca wasn't handled the best, introduced as capable fighting then having to be rescued a number of times where she never put her skills to use. Despite that, to me she was more than that who had a terrible past and dreamed of something simple yet sweet.

When it comes to Bleach, almost all the characters at this point have one facial expression and don't have any personality. Worse yet is how characters that use to ooze personality don't. When Rukia finally got to unleash her Bankai that should've been a pinnacle moment. From someone who lost her powers to becoming stronger than she was before. The problem is two fold. One is first how the reveal just feels barebones, a checklist of this is what needs to be done at some point. Then again, this relates more to the bigger problem. Rukia has become a bland character, where she has none of the personality from before. Add in the fact that none of her friends/relatives are there to share in the moment or afterwards, as this is supposed to be a big deal. Worse it how her bland brother can't even show a hint of emotion. Heck, that's an even bigger issue. If her brother who never shows emotion showed even a small smile for her accomplishment, that would be huge. Instead it's two robots going through movements that bring no emotion to the scene. If we want a One Piece equivalent, we can go with characters who don't get as much time to shine. Chad and Orohime still have personality, but they are never around, and we don't get any time for them to have a shining moment. Any moment that is supposed to be impressive doesn't amount to anything. Usopp doesn't get much limelight compared to others, but he gets moments to shine. Nami hasn't had a fight in a long time, but she's had moments such as with Jinbe and Tashigi that let her personality shine at the very least.

Another example of love can come from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. While antagonist's abilities can be hit or miss, Araki shines in using unconventional powers and make them dynamic in a fight. In the first two parts there is Hamaon, which is basically using the energy of the sun to attack zombies. However, fights get more dynamic, especially in part two where fighters have to find an opening or surprise someone to get in a fatal hit. Josuke as an unusual stand where he can't actively hurt anyone, and has to be creative in his fighting. This is shown very well in the Angelo part, where he traps Angelo's stand twice. Not only that, the way he gives out punishment to Angelo is really well done. In the end, abilities that seem limited happen to have a variety of uses, which can be seen in One Piece many times as well. This really shows the thought that the creators put into the abilities and how they wanted it to be used throughout the series. Naruto and Bleach have the problem where there is an introduction of elements that can allow for variety, but then it comes down to characters spamming one or two attacks. Ichigo only uses energy attack from sword, which is visually unappealing, and all other characters go to their Bankai which pretty much has one use. This is especially evident in the fact that the revealed bankai's are only useful for the one enemy they are fighting. Naruto had a plethora of styles and jutsu's, but Naruto and Sasuke got to the point where it came down to using the same few attacks until it worked. This makes it seem like there is lack of care in writing the characters abilities, so as a result readers don't care.

Love does extend into the other reason, which is proper build-up and world building. One thing that truly hit me with the most recent One Piece chapter is how everything that has been happening before had a purpose outside of just the immediate arc. The relationships they built and people they helped have huge effects, with none more apparent than the fact that a number of people who the Straw Hats have helped will be attending the Reverie. Each party has their own motivation, but they have a common ground in Luffy and the fact that the WG is not exactly helpful for what they would want. Add in the fact that characters that haven't been in the series for so long still exude their same personality, and how we are now starting to shift focus to end game stuff that has been talked about since basically chapter one, it's exciting to see what happens.

This goes back to Dressrosa and gives a bigger reason why I was able to look past flaws. The fact that we had build-up to Doflamingo and how he was going to be the biggest person they took on. The fact that he had his hands in so many different dealings showed that his downfall would have a huge effect. While some plots didn't develop to their fullest, there was one inevitable truth. Once Doflamingo was taken out, the consequences would be felt through the world. And guess what? It did happen. The WG was made to look like fools in front of the world, many people lost their source of weapons for whatever cause they had, because of Sabo being in Dressrosa Baltigo was discovered and shown to the world, and there are still going to be consequences down the line. Now with the build-up of the Yonko's and shift into focus on taking them down, the chessboard which everyone has been in a stalemate for years is going to be thrown into complete chaos, and once all has calmed down the winner will be crowned. So even if certain elements in a arc might fall flat, there is so much more to look forward to from effects of the Straw Hats actions to seeing what happens next in the story that it doesn't matter to me. JoJo does this in a similar but different extent. We have characters introduced and motivations that move them forward. They have one end goal that doesn't effect everyone, but you want to see their journey to its end.

Naruto had the possibility of this happening early on. There were many different villages with politics at play. Like One Piece it was going to build into it slowly, but Naruto never fully went down that path. We eventually got to a ninja alliance, but we never got an idea about the differences the villages had, or how they had a common reason to come together. We had one village doing most of the work against Akatsuki, and the others for the most part were non existant. Then we get a whole bunch of characters from each village revealed, but few that we could be attached to. The arcs leading up to this big alliance for this huge war wasn't built up, and the final enemies weren't built up either. In the end we have all this stuff, but nothing made into a coherent structure to properly build it up.

Bleach on the other hand just never went far into making a world that felt alive. At the beginning we had Rukia explain about the workings of Soul Society, but then once we got there we saw certain elements that if examined further could've lead to deeper themes and story elements. Instead we have Aizen who had been manipulating everything for 100's of years, and just snippets of information about other things that could come. This culminates into the huge problem that is the Quincy War arc. The shinigami are the good guys no question, and the sternritter are basically Nazi's. We don't have any grey areas, especially with Mayuri being a goofy character now. With no information on what Quincies really are, we have no connection to them and even want to think why they are doing this. Bleach moves from arc to arc, fight to fight with no thought on what is to happen next. It ends up with a focus on one aspect with nothing to look forward to, and any reveals are based on one snippet of information mentioned 100's of chapters ago. So when fights and immediate plot are already lacking, there is nothing else to shift focus on. One Piece allows people to discuss so many other aspects besides the current chapter, which makes it easier for readers to stay with the series even during arcs/chapters they don't care for. Bleach has nothing for people to look forward to or talk about.

Until we get to the final arc, and even during the final arc, I will be excited for One Piece. So much of the world to see, so many plot lines that have been set up and convening into future arcs, and characters to still meet mean I have so much to look forward to. Even if the pace can get slow and tedious, even if an arc happens that I actually hate it, there's so much in this series that I will stick with it and love it.

The following will have spoilers for Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. As far as JoJo spoilers will be limited to part 1 through 4, but the other series will go into what is current, or in Naruto's case, end of series stuff.

Spoiler:
    Now I have to come out and say that I have a huge bias for One Piece. I love this series to death and can call it my favorite piece of fiction, or at least in the top three. It has flaws like anything, but I can easily look over those flaws anytime and latch on to the good. This is no more apparent than Dressrosa, an arc that bounced around many plot points, many of which were done poorly to mediocre, with some being pretty great. If it was most other series, I would be quicker to bash on the problems that Dressrosa had, but in this case I am overall fine and still put this arc in my top five favorite One Piece arcs. For some time I have been trying to think why I can be so forgiving of these flaws when I'm quick to do the same in other works, and it comes down to two different aspects.

The first and easiest one to talk about is how I can see the love in the series. This is not to say that Kubo or Kishimoto hate their stuff or don't put love and effort into their series. However, the detail and effort that comes in each One Piece chapter seems to translate the love Oda has for his series. Even with low points, such as the dwarves being sidelined hard, or severe lack of development of most of the Riku plot, I still see that Oda put some care into these characters and that they have personality. Rebecca wasn't handled the best, introduced as capable fighting then having to be rescued a number of times where she never put her skills to use. Despite that, to me she was more than that who had a terrible past and dreamed of something simple yet sweet.

Love does extend into the other reason, which is proper build-up and world building. One thing that truly hit me with the most recent One Piece chapter is how everything that has been happening before had a purpose outside of just the immediate arc. The relationships they built and people they helped have huge effects, with none more apparent than the fact that a number of people who the Straw Hats have helped will be attending the Reverie. Each party has their own motivation, but they have a common ground in Luffy and the fact that the WG is not exactly helpful for what they would want. Add in the fact that characters that haven't been in the series for so long still exude their same personality, and how we are now starting to shift focus to end game stuff that has been talked about since basically chapter one, it's exciting to see what happens.

This goes back to Dressrosa and gives a bigger reason why I was able to look past flaws. The fact that we had build-up to Doflamingo and how he was going to be the biggest person they took on. The fact that he had his hands in so many different dealings showed that his downfall would have a huge effect. While some plots didn't develop to their fullest, there was one inevitable truth. Once Doflamingo was taken out, the consequences would be felt through the world. And guess what? It did happen. The WG was made to look like fools in front of the world, many people lost their source of weapons for whatever cause they had, because of Sabo being in Dressrosa Baltigo was discovered and shown to the world, and there are still going to be consequences down the line. Now with the build-up of the Yonko's and shift into focus on taking them down, the chessboard which everyone has been in a stalemate for years is going to be thrown into complete chaos, and once all has calmed down the winner will be crowned. So even if certain elements in a arc might fall flat, there is so much more to look forward to from effects of the Straw Hats actions to seeing what happens next in the story that it doesn't matter to me. JoJo does this in a similar but different extent. We have characters introduced and motivations that move them forward. They have one end goal that doesn't effect everyone, but you want to see their journey to its end.

Naruto had the possibility of this happening early on. There were many different villages with politics at play. Like One Piece it was going to build into it slowly, but Naruto never fully went down that path. We eventually got to a ninja alliance, but we never got an idea about the differences the villages had, or how they had a common reason to come together. We had one village doing most of the work against Akatsuki, and the others for the most part were non existant. Then we get a whole bunch of characters from each village revealed, but few that we could be attached to. The arcs leading up to this big alliance for this huge war wasn't built up, and the final enemies weren't built up either. In the end we have all this stuff, but nothing made into a coherent structure to properly build it up.

Until we get to the final arc, and even during the final arc, I will be excited for One Piece. So much of the world to see, so many plot lines that have been set up and convening into future arcs, and characters to still meet mean I have so much to look forward to. Even if the pace can get slow and tedious, even if an arc happens that I actually hate it, there's so much in this series that I will stick with it and love it.
    *randomly butts in*
    Spoiler:

One Piece is not like a perfect piece of work, but the reason why I like it so much and able to overlook its flaw is mainly because you can tell that Oda has a thing that makes a story interesting: passion towards his work. You can tell it from his work ethic, and the way he hids tiny details in his (admittedly overcrowded) panels, and the way something casually mentioned a few hundred chapters ago becomes a huge plot point, and the way he constantly shows tibbits about the various wacky places in his world. He just seems like he is excited to show the amazing world in his head to his audience. On an unrelated note, maybe thats why I like Tolkien so much too.

Naruto, on the other hand, started out strong but grew more and more disappointing as the series progress. Kishimoto seemed so eager at the first place, introducing us the countries of his world, the unique chakra system (which I found extremely cool at the begining) and many more. He made characters that you actually cared about and cheered on, like Naruto, Rock Lee, Shikamaru, characters that you feel sorry for like Haku, Gaara, Hinata...
    However, I would say after the Pain Invasion Arc the story seemed to take a huge dip in quality. The Pain Arc, for me, was the perfect time to end the series with a blast (no, Deidara, I am not talking about explosions). Naruto met his dad, Hinata confessed, everyone acknowledged Naruto as the village's hero, then perhaps Sasuke randomly butts in with his terrorism plans, leading to a Naruto vs. Sasuke fight that Kishi wanted to draw so badly, Sasuke dies a horrible death, erm sorry, I mean repents. Then maybe a nice few years later chapter where we get to see Naruto's dream come true.

It just feels like after that, Kishi just didn't care about his manga anymore. We no longer feel the same swirl of emotions when we read the fights and the feels we get from the flashbacks. Just bs powerups, powerups, and more powerups. The saddest thing is the message Naruto wanted to tell us sort of collapsed by itself in the end. Naruto isn't the loser ninja who never gives up, but just the incarnation of some oh-so-important historical figure. Sasuke, who spends 80% of his time on screen moping and whining becomes one of the strongest beings on earth. True hard workers like Rock Lee gets tossed in a corner, tactical combat strategists like Kakashi and Shikamaru don't mean anything when you can just Sharingan someone in their face. The epitome of youth, Gai sensei accepts his fate as a guy on a wheelchair. Who cares about hard working people, if you don't have a hax eye or a tail beast inside you, you're not going to get anywhere in life.

I always wonder how Naruto would be like if Kishi wrote with the same passion as he did in the very begining. We didn't even get a glimpse of the major countries itself. Kishi created a world full of so much potential and wonders, but the story didn't do the world and its characters justice.

Dressrosa was a choppy ride, but Zou was amazing. It felt like a breather arc but there is something satisfying about its leisurely pace, unveiling the many layers about Oda's world on the back of an elephant. I think if Oda continues writing with the same momentum and passion he has now, the final arc and final reveal of One Piece will be a mindblowing one, not just a mere swipe of the curtains or a story gradually fading away, which had run more than it had steam to carry itself.

Sorry that I deleted the Bleach and Jojo comments in your posts, I just never read them before (welp I read the first few chapters of Bleach, actually liked them but heard how bad it gets at the back, so I am slightly hesitant to continue) so I don't want to seem like be giving comments to stuff I don't read...

↑Biological Weaopn of Doom and Destruction

Quote Originally Posted by le crystal View Post
    *randomly butts in*
    Spoiler:

One Piece is not like a perfect piece of work, but the reason why I like it so much and able to overlook its flaw is mainly because you can tell that Oda has a thing that makes a story interesting: passion towards his work. You can tell it from his work ethic, and the way he hids tiny details in his (admittedly overcrowded) panels, and the way something casually mentioned a few hundred chapters ago becomes a huge plot point, and the way he constantly shows tibbits about the various wacky places in his world. He just seems like he is excited to show the amazing world in his head to his audience. On an unrelated note, maybe thats why I like Tolkien so much too.

Naruto, on the other hand, started out strong but grew more and more disappointing as the series progress. Kishimoto seemed so eager at the first place, introducing us the countries of his world, the unique chakra system (which I found extremely cool at the begining) and many more. He made characters that you actually cared about and cheered on, like Naruto, Rock Lee, Shikamaru, characters that you feel sorry for like Haku, Gaara, Hinata...
    However, I would say after the Pain Invasion Arc the story seemed to take a huge dip in quality. The Pain Arc, for me, was the perfect time to end the series with a blast (no, Deidara, I am not talking about explosions). Naruto met his dad, Hinata confessed, everyone acknowledged Naruto as the village's hero, then perhaps Sasuke randomly butts in with his terrorism plans, leading to a Naruto vs. Sasuke fight that Kishi wanted to draw so badly, Sasuke dies a horrible death, erm sorry, I mean repents. Then maybe a nice few years later chapter where we get to see Naruto's dream come true.

It just feels like after that, Kishi just didn't care about his manga anymore. We no longer feel the same swirl of emotions when we read the fights and the feels we get from the flashbacks. Just bs powerups, powerups, and more powerups. The saddest thing is the message Naruto wanted to tell us sort of collapsed by itself in the end. Naruto isn't the loser ninja who never gives up, but just the incarnation of some oh-so-important historical figure. Sasuke, who spends 80% of his time on screen moping and whining becomes one of the strongest beings on earth. True hard workers like Rock Lee gets tossed in a corner, tactical combat strategists like Kakashi and Shikamaru don't mean anything when you can just Sharingan someone in their face. The epitome of youth, Gai sensei accepts his fate as a guy on a wheelchair. Who cares about hard working people, if you don't have a hax eye or a tail beast inside you, you're not going to get anywhere in life.

I always wonder how Naruto would be like if Kishi wrote with the same passion as he did in the very begining. We didn't even get a glimpse of the major countries itself. Kishi created a world full of so much potential and wonders, but the story didn't do the world and its characters justice.

Dressrosa was a choppy ride, but Zou was amazing. It felt like a breather arc but there is something satisfying about its leisurely pace, unveiling the many layers about Oda's world on the back of an elephant. I think if Oda continues writing with the same momentum and passion he has now, the final arc and final reveal of One Piece will be a mindblowing one, not just a mere swipe of the curtains or a story gradually fading away, which had run more than it had steam to carry itself.

Sorry that I deleted the Bleach and Jojo comments in your posts, I just never read them before (welp I read the first few chapters of Bleach, actually liked them but heard how bad it gets at the back, so I am slightly hesitant to continue) so I don't want to seem like be giving comments to stuff I don't read...
    Spoiler:
    Oda does quite well making small things much bigger later on in the series. Heck, Conquerors Haki was shown in the first chapter and wasn't even talked about again until way later in the series. Certain things may drag or not be quite as good as they could be, but the big things that happen are usually always great. I may not have been that excited about the Doflamingo fight, but the finisher and stuff that happened afterwards was great.

As far as Naruto, I agree to an extent, mostly about the characters. I was never that huge of a fan of the series, and got so far because I watched a lot of the anime with my brothers. It started out well enough with the world building, but even with the Chunin Exam never went far enough to start showing us the variety in the world. All this made it hard for me to get invested because there wasn't anything to latch onto about the world. Compare to One Piece where there is so much of the world to look forward to seeing, I can't help but be excited about future stuff. I do agree ending with the Pain stuff would've been best, because it just got a whole lot worse after that.

In some ways I would recommend Bleach because despite how bad it is, there's something fun about the trainwreck it has become. On the other hand, I don't want people seeing the strong start then the descent into madness. I would definitely recommend JoJo. If you don't want to read the anime is quite good with Part 4 just having started. I will say don't do what I did and marathon everything. I enjoyed all the parts, but I forgot lots of details and you start burning out that later parts you enjoy less than you probably should.

Since I just recently had my birthday, been wanting to do a little bit of a thing about my life through the years and how things have changed over time. So if you ever wanted to know more about me, this is for you.

Spoiler:
    While I did have a tough spot in life, where two years of time in school I was sort of an outcast and bullied for reasons that only kids would bully you for, I've been lucky to have mostly an easy going life. Besides those two years the most stressful part of my life was my time spent lifeguarding. Working at a water park in 110 degree plus weather (43+ for the rest of the world) with 100% humidity for 10 hours a day six times a week can be daunting. Then you have thousands of guests coming in each day, many which who you interact with feel they are owed something because they paid money to come in, and like many jobs that require you to interact with costumers can be a pain. I already told some stories before so I won't go into details about it. The first summer was brutal, because I was new and in over my head. After that it became so much easier over time because I knew what I was supposed to do, and having bosses that are awesome really makes a difference. I can easily say I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't spend those five summers lifeguarding, because I learned a lot of lessons during that time.

Besides just learning lessons, the money I earned helped me go on my first big international trip. I had gone to Canada, Mexico, and El Salvador before, but that was pretty short distance for the most part. Since I had saved up so much money, I was able to pitch in a portion of the cost for me to go to Japan with a group called People to People. I got to spend two weeks in Japan in places such as Tokyo, Kyoto, and Nagasaki. Not being with any family and being in a place where you can't understand anything around you really provides culture shock in a way. It helped me get immersed and that's when I began to start appreciating other cultures, and got bit by the travel bug. I also got to spend three days with a family on a small island with a population of only a few hundred. I feel that if I never went on this trip, I may have been more close minded.

Not much for me to say about High School. I was in orchestra for a number of years, started when I was about 10, and played the Violin for a while. Unfortunately over time I lost interest and my final year I dropped it completely. While I wouldn't be able to pick up and start playing now, I still retain the ability to appreciate the individual aspects of music, and I appreciate it much more. Beyond that I just took classes, usually higher level stuff, and tried my hardest. I mostly secluded myself during those years and didn't really have friends to speak of. I knew some people who I would talk to sometimes, but never met outside of school.

When I started my major in Marine Biology, my original plan was to become an animal trainer. Of course I had a romantic view of it and when I took a class at Sea World my Freshman winter break I lost all interest in it. Despite having no solid goal for the future, I loved my major. Having loved the sea for so long I was able to learn more about it than I ever imagined I could. Besides the required courses I took some various electives. I got a number of SCUBA certifications which included cavern diving for a scientific diving class. Because I was lucky to get my advanced certification in a quick manner, I was able to dive the Great Barrier Reef when I got to Australia. I also took a two week Winter course in New Zealand on Marine Mammals and Birds. This was my first time travelling alone, as well as my first of many Christmases away from home. By the time I finished I had a number of different experiences under my belt, and I have some great references from my professors.

The most stressful part was my last semester, because that's when you are trying to get a job lined up for when you graduate. There was one which I would be contracted with NOAA for some offshore work which seemed promising. I actually had an interview and unlike the last 30 or so places I applied to, it sounded promising. Over a month passed by and after Graduation I was going to have to start looking for part time work. Before I could even start though, I got a notice for a different job working as a Marine Mammal Observer. I sent my stuff and less than 24 hours later I was set up for a week of training. Funnily enough, the NOAA job is the one I was just recently hired for, which I only got after a bunch of other crazy stuff happened.

Personally, I came to love offshore work. Sometimes the crew I worked with could be a bit challenging, because the whole culture is about insulting people as much as you can and swear a lot, things I still don't do much. Despite that the people I worked with were very cool, and I got to meet so many different people. Some of the things I experienced were amazing, seeing various animals from different dolphins, sharks, turtles from small turtles to large Leather Back Turtles, and then being able to listen to dolphins using a special system underwater. Offshore life is easy because usually you only have to do your job and your own laundry, then food and other essentials are done by other crew members. There is also just something relaxing about falling asleep with the waves rocking the boat. I also had a number of times where I got to take a helicopter to get to my boat, which was always fun.

While Offshore work was/is fun, and it provides a good income, it's not stable. Because of that I've been considering starting my Masters at some point in the future. It's been difficult for a number of reasons. One is I have to consider what I want to focus on, and I've come to love most aspects of the field. I want to do something conservation oriented, but beyond that I'm not sure. Another problem is competition. I have high GRE scores, and a resume that seems to impress people. The problem is that with such a large group that want to get into school, especially trying to work under a professor so they don't have to pay for school, it gets harder. I tried for a spot to assist with Humpback Whale research in Alaska that would pay for my schooling. While the professor was impressed with everything, she chose people with specific experiences with Humpback Whales. I've helped with things from various dolphin species to Great Whites to benthic sharks, but never helped with Humpback Whales specifically (though I have seen some in the wild). At this time it comes down to just hunting down opportunities and seeing what works, while trying to more experience if possible.

There is so much more I would love to talk about, but I want to try to keep this as short as possible. The only other thing of note is the almost two years I have been on this forum. I loved it early on and really like the diverse background of different people. I've learned a lot from different posters, whether from direct discussion with them for just reading different peoples posts. I like how for the most part people will call you out on bullshit and correct you. While not great, I feel like I've improved miles since I came here. Having to learn how to properly explain things and learning how to deconstruct things based on others posts have helped a lot. Here it just feels like I learn a lot every day, and posters are pretty good about helping out when you are inquisitive about stuff and not trying to staunchly defend your own points.

Anyways, if there is anything I mentioned you would like to know more about, let me know and I might go into more detail at some point. Perhaps at another time I might talk about some more about myself and things I've been able to do.

The following contains many spoilers about Bleach and my overall feelings about the series over my time reading/watching it.
    Spoiler:
    It's been strange thinking about how Bleach in its final chapters. When the final arc started nobody would've guessed how long it would go on, and before a few weeks ago many assumed this could still go on for years. Then we get a bomb drop about how volume 74 will be the last volume, and now we have about a month or so till this series ends. Back in 2014 when it was announced Naruto only had a few chapters before it ended, I just shrugged it off and went "it's about damn time". However, having the fact that Bleach is ending soon finally having sunk in, I've been hit with a wave of different emotions. Part of it is still like Naruto, where this beast is finally being put to rest (God help us all if this one gets a spinoff), but there is many other things that have gone over me.

Perhaps it would be best if I start with my personal journey with Bleach.I first got into Bleach by reading the few volumes of Bleach my brother had, which sucked me in immediately. After finishing the Grand Fisher stuff and no new material at the time, I ended up starting to watch the anime, which my Brother had many episodes on his computer (somewhere a little after the Kenpachi fight). The pre-SS stuff was already pretty great, being introduced to a cast of great characters and at the time my favorite shonen protagonist. Ichigo had some depth and was actually shown to be a pretty smart guy, and despite his tough exterior was a kind person. Chad was just awesome being the quiet but strong and funny guy. Orohime was a bit clumsy and somewhat of an airhead, but could be very perceptive. Ishida was the "cool" guy, but had no problem helping others in need like that time he sewed up that teddy bear like a badass. Then there was Rukia, who was just all around fun.

For the first number of volumes we got to know these characters and become attached to them. Despite some rough pasts, whether Orohime and her abusive parents or Ishida and the genocide of his people, they turned out to be good people and they had their own unique skill set. The part where Ichigo fights Grand Fisher and finds out the truth of his moms death, and then learning to move past blaming himself was a very powerful moment, and the idea that Ichigo would have to get stonger to overcome his mothers killer was an interesting one. It even gave some foreshadowing to there being more to the Hollows. Finally we have some Shinigami come to take Rukia away to execute her, which after getting so attached to her made the stakes real, and having this particular training arc and learning some of the stuff we did was worth it. Then when we got to the SS arc it was pretty good for what came down to just running around to get to where Rukia was. What helped was the death of Aizen, and the mystery surrounding Gin and having some of these new characters. The fights were overall fun, the cast was tight, and the climax of saving Rukia was amazing. Then we get the bombshell of Aizen being behind everything and overpowering everyone, and at the time it was impossible not to be hyped for what would happen next.

With the Soul Society arc being finished, Bleach had rocketed itself to my favorite story, and even at the time One Piece, from the little I had seen, couldn't hope to compare. I imagined how the plotline would go, wondered what Aizen's plans were, and waited with baited breath for the anime to start the next arc. When it came, it was the start of a slow decline that would eventually fall off that cliff.

The signs were there at the time that things weren't going to end too well, but at the time I was not one to look at the details and see that there were clues about the upcoming demise. Way too many new characters introduced without previously introduced characters getting more time to develop and allow the audience to get attached to them, more focus on fights and less on developing plot and motivation, and Kubo dropping the ball on promised plot threads early on. For a while I was able to wade through it, just watching fight after fight with no context given to the overall story about why this is going on. We had a repeat of SS with saving Orohime, but nothing else to add some suspense to the story. At one point I got tired and read some of the Manga to see what would happen. I then watched the anime through the Turn Back the Pendulum story, which gave me renewed energy to stay through because it was something different. I also at the time liked the Mayuri and Kenpachi fight, so I felt that perhaps things were going to get better. Oh how wrong I was

We got to fights with the strongest Espada, which ended anti-climatically each time, with a shoved in backstory at the very end. Grimmjow's worked all right enough because he was established for a while, but the others were introduced very late with no build-up. The Ulqiorra fight didn't satisfy me, because we hit the one too many asspulls for me at the time and it was so drawn out. It was a difficult number of chapters to read because I thought they would be good, but my thought at the time was perhaps Kubo just made to many characters, but the ones who we've known since the SS arc would be better and get some great stories out of them, right? Nope, Tosen turns into a fly and gets taken out by his weak ex-vice captain and it was just a revenge story, which could've been interesting with proper build-up. Then we have Aizen who just curbstomps everyone, and anything like strategy or what we had early on in fights was not going to happen. For over 20 chapters Aizen takes his time to make the key, and instead of just doing what he needed to chases around some of Ichigo's school friends. In the end Gin gets a sudden turncoat, dies, then after the 6th or so transformation Ichigo uses a special attack that takes away his powers, and we close with Ichigo saying Aizen just wanted to be like everyone else.

I can't describe how angry and for how long I was angry at the time, but I can say it was stupid how angry I was even if justified in some ways. Here was a series that I adored at one point that captured me early on. The promise of what could happen got to me, and instead of just failing to live up to my high expectations, it couldn't even live up to base expectations. It even went worse than anything I could've imagined at the time. So many characters I liked just shoved to the side, and the worse thing for me was how characters like Tatsuki who were foreshadowed to have big roles were relegated to cameos. Chad became best friends with the floor, Orohime became a parrot who could only say Kurosaki-kun, and Ishida had no direction for his character. Worst part is that there was nothing else to really carry the series, and it continued.

During the Fullbring arc I was angry for a significant chunk of it. The series tried to move on, but I hated how bad things got and didn't give the new arc much of a chance. Granted it turned out to be another bad arc, but me being childish in my anger wasn't helping. I did eventually get over it and tried to give it a fair chance. The idea was interesting enough, even if it was too late in the series to introduce something like this. I even liked the chapters of Ichigo getting in despair, especially when all his friends were under Tsukishima's ability. But we got to the same problem as the other arc with plot points and characters failing to be developed, and it felt like 10 to 20 chapters were missing to give some sense of cohesion.

Then the final arc came, and to keep it short I was cynical and never once believed this would ever have a coherent narrative, which ended up being correct. The idea of the Quincies being the antagonists was possibly interesting, but at that time I knew that any sort of grey area morals was not possible, especially after the Quincy were given so much Nazi symbolism. The final time I got angry at this series was when Kubo just dropped the Bankai stealing aspect and allowed everyone to get theirs back and continue on like nothing ever happened. After that I didn't care about how twice Bach took out his own men, how none of the characters had any personality or likability that they once had, or that we just kept having fights with no build-up of story or motivation. It just became funny to see this trainwreck, and rereading the series I saw how hilarious some of the Aizen stuff was.

So yeah, while glad that the series is finally over, I'm also going to miss it because of how insane it got. It was a just a perfect storm of bad decision after bad decision that really showed how to not write a story. It was a source of entertainment because of that which Naruto didn't give me at all. That said, I'm also sad. Sad that something I loved so much became like this, and everything I liked about it at one point became the antithesis of what it was. I'm also sad that because of the rush I don't get to see the insanity that Kubo would've gone through if given the time. However, in the end the biggest feeling I have is happiness. Yes, despite how bad things got, how betrayed I felt at one point, I am happy that I was able to experience this series and reading this final arc one chapter at a time. Whether from the good or the bad I got some inspiration from it, and it gave me immense entertainment. It is an experience I would not want to forget and taught me so much.

With all that said, I feel the need to say something. Thank you Bleach, and thank you Kubo. Overall it was a bittersweet journey but it was one that was worth it. Perhaps because of this others will be inspired in some strange way to make something great.

Anyways, if there is anything I mentioned you would like to know more about, let me know and I might go into more detail at some point. Perhaps at another time I might talk about some more about myself and things I've been able to do. [/SPOILER]
    Very interesting read. It sounds like you've had a lot of adventures!

How long do you typically stay offshore? Do you have an Internet connection? (Is it satellite or microwave based?) Do you ever catch yourself calling things "Suuuper" while on the ship?

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorkov View Post
    Very interesting read. It sounds like you've had a lot of adventures! How long do you typically stay offshore? Do you have an Internet connection? (Is it satellite or microwave based?) Do you ever catch yourself calling things "Suuuper" while on the ship?
    The offshore job I originally had usually had me offshore for 4 to 5 weeks at a time, with equal amount of time at home. The job I just recently finished my training for will be much different, where I can be gone for a few days to weeks at a time, and my time home is dependent on when the next job comes up. The new job will be watching out for turtles and mammals where a crew will be taking down a platform via explosives, so depending on the scenario it could take a long time before I can give them clearance to detonate. Internet various by boat, where some had Wi-Fi that was pretty bad to others that you connected by Ethernet which I could browse with ease. No matter the situation though youtube and other streaming services were blocked because the internet is already pretty thin for people to share to begin with, so the less bandwith being used the better. I believe it's satellite based on the boats I've been on, but I can only be sure about one boat being satellite based.

Despite my username I never catch myself saying Super. That said when offshore I do like to imagine myself on adventures like Luffy and the crew. Being surrounded by water by all sides, no land in sights, and the salt in the air with or without a breeze always gets me excited. When the rocking of the boat is just right it makes for a great nights sleep. Last but not least is being able to see the various animals offshore, from the dolphins and turtles to the birds flying by, and the times you look down in the water and see that you are surrounded by Jelly Fish. Also seeing the sunrise/set and being able to see rain far in the distance is always a cool sight. I also had the chance to see a waterspout in the distance one time.

Wow. Aside the Bleach Review, I just want to say good luck and blessings on your job and all your trips on sea.

Despite my username I never catch myself saying Super. That said when offshore I do like to imagine myself on adventures like Luffy and the crew. Being surrounded by water by all sides, no land in sights, and the salt in the air with or without a breeze always gets me excited. When the rocking of the boat is just right it makes for a great nights sleep. Last but not least is being able to see the various animals offshore, from the dolphins and turtles to the birds flying by, and the times you look down in the water and see that you are surrounded by Jelly Fish. Also seeing the sunrise/set and being able to see rain far in the distance is always a cool sight. I also had the chance to see a waterspout in the distance one time.
    Heh, that's awesome.

So, are you really saving the turtles?
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Yep, got to make sure those poor turtles don't get caught in the blast, so I make sure there are none around that we can see on the surface before giving them the okay. To do that I watch the surface of the water from a barge for a certain amount of time, then before giving the go ahead do a survey above in a helicopter for a certain amount of time.

Well it's been a while since I did something, and not because I have been busy but just a lack of things to really say. However someone wanted me to start posting about some of my travel stories so I thought it would be a good time to start now. A year ago today I finished my trip to Egypt, which was a life changer for me. I mentioned before that I used to have certain views, very heavily conservative ones, which changed because of this trip. So for my first story it's going to be a bit more personal and introspective compared to what I will do later. I hope that you enjoy it. (also, there will be pictures so it's not all text)

Spoiler:
    While I will never say that one trip was better than the other, Egypt had certainly became the most memorable at the very start. For one it was the oldest structures I have ever seen, which before then the oldest I had seen was during my time in Greece. The idea that such colossal things were made by people thousands of years ago and still stand was impressive. Then there is the fact that I had never been to a desert before, so visiting places in and surrounded by desert was a brand new experience to me. However, if there was one thing it was seeing the cultural difference, or to be more precise, how things were more similar than I thought it would be. Being raised in a very Christian household I came to believe that going to a country that consisted mostly of Muslims would somehow be very different to what I was used to. Looking back it was a silly thing to think, but for some reason I thought I was going to go into a very strange world. Instead all around me the locals are just like people I saw elsewhere, living their daily lives and just did what you would expect to see people do in a crowded city. The only difference is you have merchants heckling you at every corner, but that's less culture and more because what people need to do to make a living.

So over the course of the trip I learned about ancient Egyptian culture and some modern culture, and overtime I lost a lot of my preconceptions about Islamic culture. However what I was seeing wasn't enough to really get to me and get me to realize just how wrong I may have been about the world, which is where my trip to Luxor temple played its pivotal role. We are the last days of the trip and the tour takes the group to the temple at night, which the temple is supposed to be even more beautiful at that time. I don't know what it is supposed to look like during the day, but from what I saw I could believe it.

Spoiler:

So we get some information regarding the history and what god(s) were worshipped at the temple. After that our tour guide lets us just wonder around at our leisure for 30 to 45 minutes, so I just go around and look at the various areas, enjoying the architecture and just overall view.

Spoiler:

Just like everything before there was always something new to see each turn, and a new angle to see something at. Unfortunately time meant I couldn't stay in one spot too long, and I needed to find an area where I could stand and just enjoy the sight and take everything in. I decided to go to an area where a Mosque was built on top of the temple. What happened is centuries ago the temple was buried in sand and since no one knew about the temple a Mosque was built where the temple laid underneath it. Once it was discovered the Mosque was not only allowed to stay there, but it is still used for people to come and worship at. I decided to go stand by the pillars near the structure supporting the Mosque, and just stood there enjoying the view.

Spoiler:

One thing I didn't realize what that there were people in the Mosque, and shortly after finding a spot to stand I heard the prayer that I heard so many times throughout the trip. After a short bit of silence there I could hear a number of voices singing from above me, though I couldn't see anything. The sound was pleasant and being in Arabic it added a certain charm, and I began to absorb the sound as I stood looking at the sight before me. I had no clue what they were saying, but overtime it registered with me that they were doing the same thing I did so many years of my life with my family at church, they were praising God in song and thanking God. It was at that moment that it finally hit me, that Muslims were no different than Christians when it came to practicing their faith. We prayed everyday to give thanks, we sang to give praise, and our faith played a role in our lives, whether big or small. After all these years what I thought were two completely different things, and thinking that Islam was a religion of violence like so many around me claimed, it was actually pretty much the same.

Looking back I thought a moment like this would completely shatter me and leave me confused where I would need days, weeks, or even months to contemplate what was true and what was not. It was the exact opposite, where I found peace and clarity and views I used to push away I came to embrace wholeheartedly. There was no inner turmoil where I questioned my life up until then, I just finally came to accept that I truly don't know things, and was okay with the idea that I could be wrong. With that I stood listening to the songs for a while longer, then left because I had a little more walking to do so I could see the temple from a distance on the Sphinx Road.

Spoiler:

There's so much more I want to talk about this trip, but that will have to wait for another time. All I can say at this time, from the bottom of my heart, is thank you Egypt. You opened my eyes and showed me so much. In time I hope the turmoil can die down, and that tourism can start to grow back so the economy won't be struggling so much.

Great story, Franky Tank! Egypt is definitely on my list of places I want to go (I imagine a long trip up the Nile would just be incredible). Looking forward to more of these!

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Well it's been a while since I did something, and not because I have been busy but just a lack of things to really say. However someone wanted me to start posting about some of my travel stories so I thought it would be a good time to start now. A year ago today I finished my trip to Egypt, which was a life changer for me. I mentioned before that I used to have certain views, very heavily conservative ones, which changed because of this trip. So for my first story it's going to be a bit more personal and introspective compared to what I will do later. I hope that you enjoy it. (also, there will be pictures so it's not all text)

Spoiler:
    While I will never say that one trip was better than the other, Egypt had certainly became the most memorable at the very start. For one it was the oldest structures I have ever seen, which before then the oldest I had seen was during my time in Greece. The idea that such colossal things were made by people thousands of years ago and still stand was impressive. Then there is the fact that I had never been to a desert before, so visiting places in and surrounded by desert was a brand new experience to me. However, if there was one thing it was seeing the cultural difference, or to be more precise, how things were more similar than I thought it would be. Being raised in a very Christian household I came to believe that going to a country that consisted mostly of Muslims would somehow be very different to what I was used to. Looking back it was a silly thing to think, but for some reason I thought I was going to go into a very strange world. Instead all around me the locals are just like people I saw elsewhere, living their daily lives and just did what you would expect to see people do in a crowded city. The only difference is you have merchants heckling you at every corner, but that's less culture and more because what people need to do to make a living.

So over the course of the trip I learned about ancient Egyptian culture and some modern culture, and overtime I lost a lot of my preconceptions about Islamic culture. However what I was seeing wasn't enough to really get to me and get me to realize just how wrong I may have been about the world, which is where my trip to Luxor temple played its pivotal role. We are the last days of the trip and the tour takes the group to the temple at night, which the temple is supposed to be even more beautiful at that time. I don't know what it is supposed to look like during the day, but from what I saw I could believe it.

So we get some information regarding the history and what god(s) were worshipped at the temple. After that our tour guide lets us just wonder around at our leisure for 30 to 45 minutes, so I just go around and look at the various areas, enjoying the architecture and just overall view.

Just like everything before there was always something new to see each turn, and a new angle to see something at. Unfortunately time meant I couldn't stay in one spot too long, and I needed to find an area where I could stand and just enjoy the sight and take everything in. I decided to go to an area where a Mosque was built on top of the temple. What happened is centuries ago the temple was buried in sand and since no one knew about the temple a Mosque was built where the temple laid underneath it. Once it was discovered the Mosque was not only allowed to stay there, but it is still used for people to come and worship at. I decided to go stand by the pillars near the structure supporting the Mosque, and just stood there enjoying the view.

One thing I didn't realize what that there were people in the Mosque, and shortly after finding a spot to stand I heard the prayer that I heard so many times throughout the trip. After a short bit of silence there I could hear a number of voices singing from above me, though I couldn't see anything. The sound was pleasant and being in Arabic it added a certain charm, and I began to absorb the sound as I stood looking at the sight before me. I had no clue what they were saying, but overtime it registered with me that they were doing the same thing I did so many years of my life with my family at church, they were praising God in song and thanking God. It was at that moment that it finally hit me, that Muslims were no different than Christians when it came to practicing their faith. We prayed everyday to give thanks, we sang to give praise, and our faith played a role in our lives, whether big or small. After all these years what I thought were two completely different things, and thinking that Islam was a religion of violence like so many around me claimed, it was actually pretty much the same.

Looking back I thought a moment like this would completely shatter me and leave me confused where I would need days, weeks, or even months to contemplate what was true and what was not. It was the exact opposite, where I found peace and clarity and views I used to push away I came to embrace wholeheartedly. There was no inner turmoil where I questioned my life up until then, I just finally came to accept that I truly don't know things, and was okay with the idea that I could be wrong. With that I stood listening to the songs for a while longer, then left because I had a little more walking to do so I could see the temple from a distance on the Sphinx Road.

There's so much more I want to talk about this trip, but that will have to wait for another time. All I can say at this time, from the bottom of my heart, is thank you Egypt. You opened my eyes and showed me so much. In time I hope the turmoil can die down, and that tourism can start to grow back so the economy won't be struggling so much.
    Was it a work trip? Thebes, Cairo and Alexandria have been in my list for a while, but I doubt Iīll be able to go there in the next couple of years.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information