+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

Thread: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

  1. #1

    Default The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Hello all, and welcome to my little soap box.

    I have been here for about a year and a half and I love discussing things on the various threads here. From posting insane theories based on little substance in the One Piece Manga section, to reading posts of great substance in the news thread, I’ve enjoyed it all. The only problem is that there is no section where I can just unload things I want to say, because there is no thread which it is relevant, and I’m pretty sure the mods would get more fed up with me if I tried to make threads on rants I have on random things.

    Therefore I made this little thread where I can post to my heart’s content without pissing more people off. It’ll contain everything you love (or more likely everything you hate) about The Franky Tank. Long texts of incoherent rambling that you only get the point by the end of it, if even that. Stretches of logic which makes you wonder how I function in life. And last but not least, lots of terrible humor much which is self-deprecation, because I love that kind of stuff. Maybe by doing this I can become somewhat competent at writing posts.

    Being serious for a moment though, there is one thing I would like to say. Being that these posts will be long, they will be in spoil tags for space. Also, because some of the rants I have will be about pieces of fiction, I will put warning before each spoiler to give you an idea about what the rant is about, and potential spoilers. With that out of the way…

    The following contains spoilers of Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tail, and History’s Strongest Disciple Kenichi.

    Spoiler:
    One thing that seems to come up in threads such as Fairy Tail and Bleach, among the other terrible series, is why any of us still read if we hate it. Indeed, I sometimes wonder why I haven’t dropped Bleach entirely. Kubo is content to make things up on the fly, and decisions such as making Unohana the first Kenpachi or making Ichigo a little of everything with his sword spirit being Bach the whole time. Even now we have a dull fight where Shunsui uses his Bankai which many have been waiting for years, which has no effect. Then the sniper guy turns into an owl, which despite being a prophet refuses to tell us how many licks it actually takes to get to the center of a tootsy pop. Perhaps only Bach knows and that’s why so many people followed him in the end.

    Despite the mess that is Bleach, there is the little good that happens every once in a while. Mayuri fighting the giant hand of God was entertaining, despite the fact the man was supposed to be worse than all the villains combined. That’s why I stuck with Naruto until the end despite how long it dragged. Sure, changing the villain from Obito to Madara to Bunny Lady then ending with Sasuke was terrible, but I still had some fun along the way. It was also at the point that I had been following the damn series for so many years that I felt obligated to finish it. For me to truly just drop a series that I’m deep into, it really needs to be something that I feel is a waste of space and has no value. That’s why the only series that I dropped reading was History’s Strongest Disciple Kenichi.

    The first problem was that I only got so far because of a deal I made with a friend. He reads and catches up to One Piece while I do the same for his favorite series. It’s no wonder that I barely talk to him anymore, because I found out what taste he really has, and that I really got a shit deal in the end. There were glimmers of potential in the series at the start, but too much crap stood out that the little shiny specks didn’t help increase the value. Kenichi was a dull protagonist, whose eventual reason for becoming the strongest was he wanted to be stronger then the girl he loves so he could ask her out on a date. I’ll have to expand on this at a later time, as I want to talk about characters and sexist attitudes they may have. All you need to know is that it wasn’t compelling, and becoming the strongest for that reason was assanine. There was also something about wanting to protect people or something else, but I can’t be bothered to remember a one dimensional character such as Kenichi.

    One of the biggest sins was how the interesting side cast was ignored completely for just Kenichi. Bleach and Naruto had this problem at times, but Naruto allowed the others to shine at one point, and while terrible Bleach has been giving time to some of the others. Kenichi introduced all these other styles of fighting and character design, but they just get shown to be part of the posse and never do anything. They train and talk with each other, but the most they do is get in a skirmish that doesn’t amount to anything. The alien looking guy was the one that I liked the most and I felt he should’ve been the main character. Bringing all these different fighters together and from his perspective show him rise to the top of some type of thing would’ve been vastly more interesting than what we got.

    Despite the fact I cared so little, I trudged along. Part of it was easier because at the time I had 400+ chapters to go through, so I could at least see if anything amounted to something. Also, if I’m one thing I’m a man of my word, so I went through because of the promise. With some focus on the masters, I was hoping that it would get a bit better. In some cases it got better, as they had some personality. On the other hand, they got so much focus Kenichi wasn’t the focus. As much as I disliked him, it was his series so it seemed like bad writing for him to get sidelined. There was some build up to something big happening, with foreshadowing of a characters death so I went on to give one last try.

    The big event was that the disciples from the evil organization was going to take down the protagonist group. Unfortunately all tension was lost when the stuff was happening in a water park, where all the group were in swim suits.

    This is where I have to talk a little about fan service and how harmful it can be. In Fairy Tail, we had a big war going on which is supposed to determine the fate of the world. During the first invasion, Lucy gets in naked with Brandish for reasons. While stupid, I don’t get as angry compared to Kenichi. Both do insane amounts of fan service, but Fairy Tail is inept at building actual tension and urgency that anything happening is just something to laugh at. In this case, Kenichi had been successful at building tension and for once I was invested in what was going to happen. It was destroyed instantly in this case, and made worse with the tension trying to increase while more of the girl’s swimsuits were falling apart.

    While use of sexuality is used a lot for fan service and cheap pleasure, there is a place for it and can increase tension or used for other positive aspects. It can be used to humiliate people, show vulnerability, be used to show how despicable people are, etc. Use it correctly and it can be brilliant.

    Kenichi made the mistake of using sexuality for fan service while trying to show a dark and tense situation. During a battle with an expert trying to get revenge against a master of the dark society, we are constantly getting play by play action by Miu’s boobs. Something happens, then a close up of Miu’s boobs is shown while they, sorry, Miu says what just happened. For what is supposed to be an intense life or death situation, I kept getting thrown out of it because of the fan service. The guy dies and doesn’t get revenge, but I can’t be arsed to give a damn because apparently Miu’s boobs were more important.

    I read on a little longer but ultimately gave up. Apparently the evil society was controlling the government, and the masters were going to have to fight for their lives, but there was no tension. A year later the series ended and I learned that nothing really happened. Everyone survived the encounter and stuff happened. I could find out where I left off and finish it, but I have no urge to finish something devoid of any substance. I can get entertainment out of other terrible series. I can use it as prime examples of what not to do. But Kenichi lacks any pleasure, and it’s a hole of nothingness that I can’t get enjoyment out of criticizing it. Even now just making this post feels pointless that I almost didn’t want to do it. I would like nothing more than this series to just be purged from my mind and that I never have to think about it again.

  2. #2

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Let me just say that I enjoy reading your ramblings ever since you started making them. I just don´t give a lot of feedback because... well... I just don´t. I come home late and even though I read, I don´t have patience to create a wall of text to reply to somethint, even if I think it´s interesting.

    Kenichi was a dull protagonist, whose eventual reason for becoming the strongest was he wanted to be stronger then the girl he loves so he could ask her out on a date.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    Kenichi was a dull protagonist, whose eventual reason for becoming the strongest was he wanted to be stronger then the girl he loves so he could ask her out on a date.
    Have you ever read HxH?
    If so, do you think you can apply a similar logic to Gon?
    Spoiler:

    Even though he has a clear objective of finding his father, it seems he wants to become strong to... be strong. He really has no end game to it. A lot of Hunters are useful in their areas without being particulary strong in combat, but he has this idea that growing up = getting stringer.
    It´s quite an infantile and simple idea that doesn´t really help his already simple character



    While use of sexuality is used a lot for fan service and cheap pleasure, there is a place for it and can increase tension or used for other positive aspects. It can be used to humiliate people, show vulnerability, be used to show how despicable people are, etc. Use it correctly and it can be brilliant.
    How do you rate Erza´s naked torture at the hands of what´shername?

  3. #3

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    Let me just say that I enjoy reading your ramblings ever since you started making them. I just don´t give a lot of feedback because... well... I just don´t. I come home late and even though I read, I don´t have patience to create a wall of text to reply to somethint, even if I think it´s interesting.

    Kenichi was a dull protagonist, whose eventual reason for becoming the strongest was he wanted to be stronger then the girl he loves so he could ask her out on a date.


    Have you ever read HxH?
    If so, do you think you can apply a similar logic to Gon?
    Spoiler:

    Even though he has a clear objective of finding his father, it seems he wants to become strong to... be strong. He really has no end game to it. A lot of Hunters are useful in their areas without being particulary strong in combat, but he has this idea that growing up = getting stringer.
    It´s quite an infantile and simple idea that doesn´t really help his already simple character





    How do you rate Erza´s naked torture at the hands of what´shername?
    No problems on not replying. One of the few thoughts that comes up with getting so few replies in the One Piece forum is that it's so long that it takes effort to read and then respond to something like that properly. I've seen replies in the News section that can be insane, especially when Monkey King busts out his knowledge.

    It's been a long time since I read HxH, since I stopped during one of the first long Hiatuses with the Chimera Ant arc. I do need to get around to it at some point and reread and finish it, as it unofficially has some kind of end from what I heard. As far as Gon is concerned, I don't remember him that well and he wasn't one that I found to be that interesting. However, like One Piece where the main character isn't exactly one I love, there was the world and other aspects I was interested in. While long and complicated, it was interesting to learn about how the techniques worked, and the game world I remember loving because of the craziness. While Gon wasn't interesting in himself, there was enough going on that it wasn't a problem.

    Kenichi on the other hand didn't have much else going on. There were new styles of fighting to see, but it was almost always Kenichi fighting, and everything was about him learning and overcoming a new style or challenge. We didn't have a world that was fleshed out to be intrigued in. There wasn't other plots to be invested in beyond this is what Kenichi must overcome. Having a dull protagonist is not always a problem as long there is more to it. It's the same for Toriko, where he is a simple character with simple goals but the world is interesting enough, mainly early on, that I can gloss over that fact. Current Toriko is showing the problem with lack of good plot and less world focus makes the reader have to latch on the main character, and that hasn't been working out well.

    One last example for me would be JoJo part 1. Jonathon wasn't a complex or standout character like some later ones. However, the relationship between him and Dio was really well done for me, so I was into the story because of that despite a simple plot of stop that character and the focus being on only Jonathon.

    Erza is a bit of an interesting one. While that arc never really got the suspense built up, in some ways it was brutal. The way it was drawn where you weren't getting focus on her assets and was more to show a position that she didn't have authority gave a brutal effect. To me, it was one of those moments where it was effective, but being Fairy Tail it was just a moment and not something that made me think stakes were high in the arc.

  4. #4
    potentially on hiatus Ordinary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    Have you ever read HxH?
    If so, do you think you can apply a similar logic to Gon?
    Spoiler:

    Even though he has a clear objective of finding his father, it seems he wants to become strong to... be strong. He really has no end game to it. A lot of Hunters are useful in their areas without being particulary strong in combat, but he has this idea that growing up = getting stringer.
    It´s quite an infantile and simple idea that doesn´t really help his already simple character
    Gon needs strength to get to what he needs. It's a means to an end. For example he needed to train in order to get to Greed Island, and he needed to train to beat Greed Island. And in the Chimera Ant arc he wanted strength because he felt responsible for Kaito getting beaten by Pitou. "I never knew being weak could be so painful"

    Gon would never think of "growing up" consciously.

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    There are no spoilers of any kind of series. This is just me rambling about how I’ve been contemplating my life so far, and how far I’ve come and how far I have to go. It will mostly be about the big picture, and down the line I will talk about specifics about my life that have changed.

    Spoiler:
    Life is an interesting journey, which can vary from person to person in what happens. However, I feel that despite so much variation in life style and what one does everyone is in some way on the same journey. The problem comes down to the fact that many don’t even start the journey, as they seem to refuse to do such a thing.

    Until the last few months, I was one of those people who refused to take the journey. When we first begin growing up, we live in our own little world. There’s only so much you know and most things don’t concern you, or at least you feel it doesn’t concern you. You go to school, do your stuff, and come back. Some are more content growing up than others, where some are popular and get along easily while others are sequestered to the corner, who seem like they don’t have a place.

    As I grew up, I went through a few troubled years, but things got better and while I was a quiet person with few friends, I was content. When you live somewhere and you have opinions and beliefs similar to most people around you, or at least the vocal ones, it’s easy to stay in the world you have been growing up in. Who cares that some people have a different opinion than me, all these other people are echoing what I think, so I must be right.

    While in hindsight it’s stupid, at the time it’s so much easier to do such a thing. You grow up in your own little world, where everything outside it is different. If it makes you even slightly uncomfortable then it has to be wrong. Even when things start trying to burst it you fight it off. How could people even begin to think certain things that I didn’t, as my world didn’t have to view.

    College is where this truly starts to happen, as you aren’t secluded to people that live in your area. When people are from one place, opinions and beliefs can start to become one thing. However, college means people from all over the place, where opinions and perspective are different. You find more and more people that think differently, believe differently. It’s at this time where different things can happen.

    One is people become angry and confused. They lash out at what is different to them and want to tell people how wrong they are. No matter how stupid it sounds out loud, they will argue with conviction and make their voice known.

    Thankfully I didn’t go there, but I went in the exact opposite in some ways. I respected what others thought, but I never dared go out and try to voice my opinion. My thoughts were that why try to change their mind, they don’t want to change and I don’t want to go to the effort of arguing it. People could talk all they wanted about their opinions, but I would think they were wrong no matter how convincing it actually sounded.

    Looking back, in some ways I think being loud is the better way. Sure, it can be annoying to have to listen to them proclaim what they think is right, but they are at least honest. I was a worse kind of person, where I would listen and smile, and I could be friends with people. However, deep down I thought I was better, because I was the one who was right because of the bubble I lived in. I listened, but I never truly gave them the benefit of actually trying to understand and being open minded. I thought I was above them, when in truth I was nothing but trash.

    This is where many people these days are. Stuck in their own bubble refusing to see the world for what it really is, they believe they are right, and I was one of them. There is only one thing that truly keeps them in the bubble, one of the most basic emotions that cause people to freeze and refuse to move forward. Fear.

    Looking back, I was afraid to leave my bubble and see the true world. It sounds silly in hindsight, but at the time everything outside seemed so strange and foreign. However, my work and travels brought me to all kinds of people and cultures. What I thought I knew came to be seen as an illusion, and over time I became more uncertain about my world.

    While I said it’s been a few months, I would be dishonest saying that. Only in the last few weeks can I really say that I finally got out. I reached the end of my secluded bubble, and no longer fearing the world, I left it behind.

    While these last few weeks I feel I have come so far, it’s only now that I see how far I have to go. It’s like going up a mountain thinking the destination is at the top. Only when you reach the top you see land as far as you can see, with the destination nowhere to be seen. Only then did I realize that not only that I have so far to go, but that this destination is one that I will never reach. However, the journey is what’s important, and seeing how far I can go is the challenge I seek.

    No longer do I fear the world or what I don’t understand. I am willing to admit when my beliefs are wrong, and love it even. I now know who I am, and while who I was before was an ugly monster, I am slowly changing into something better. The comfort of being in my own little world is now foreign to me, as seeking the truth and actual knowledge is more exciting than anything that my world could’ve ever provided.

  6. #6

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Are you studying abroad, FT? Or are you just in Europe for your own reasons?

  7. #7

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Are you studying abroad, FT? Or are you just in Europe for your own reasons?
    The main reason I'm in Europe is for an internship. I'm helping with conservation and research in Greece to get some experience and try to figure out what I want to do for grad school. The other part of it is travel, where I went to Germany to see sights with some friends I hadn't seen, see some of Italy, and in a few weeks I'll be in Spain for the holidays. So a little bit of both.

    BTW, the internship is something I did on my own with my work being on the downswing, so I'm not doing it for any school credit. I did something like this last year as well.

  8. #8
    A little bit bored. :/ Nitwit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Warship Island

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    I wish I can make a post on this site. But I'm afraid that I'll get banned if I say the wrong words or something? What should I do to make my thread look as interesting and lively as all the others. It needs to have a special theme that fits my style while very informative to. Any advice since I know I'm still a noob at this crude and I wanna make you guys have respect in me so that I can also have respect in you. I know there are good eggs on this site. While there's a few bad eggs that I won't name in fear of a ban. Should I make a thread by next year or wait until I mature a bit so that I can get used of my surroundings. Thank you for reading this comment and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family. The Franky Tank. :)
    But, how, can I exist within the midst of this? But, how, can I admit that I would quit on you? Missio - Can I Exist

  9. #9

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitwit View Post
    I wish I can make a post on this site. But I'm afraid that I'll get banned if I say the wrong words or something? What should I do to make my thread look as interesting and lively as all the others. It needs to have a special theme that fits my style while very informative to. Any advice since I know I'm still a noob at this crude and I wanna make you guys have respect in me so that I can also have respect in you. I know there are good eggs on this site. While there's a few bad eggs that I won't name in fear of a ban. Should I make a thread by next year or wait until I mature a bit so that I can get used of my surroundings. Thank you for reading this comment and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family. The Franky Tank. :)
    When it comes to posting, it just takes practice posting your thoughts in a clear way. Another important part is just having a time for when you feel like you should post. For instance, in the One Piece chapters I usually only post when I feel I have something to contribute, or make a lame attempt at a joke. Last but not least you just need to be respectful and patient. There will be many opinions, and even if you disagree you should be nice about it. If you just don't agree at all and feel it's really bad just flat out ignore the post. When I say be patient, there will be many times you feel you post something you feel is important, but you don't get responses. Know that people will read the stuff, but they don't necessarily have anything to add to it.

    As for a thread, that can be a bit more difficult to say. The first one I did was a character thread that went no where, which my inexperience lead to it just being badly structured and not keeping at it. I made a thread in the video game section, but it got locked due to the topic being about a company that only does things in the states. The last one was earlier this year where I did a reread discussion, which was nice but also didn't go very far (I need to get back to my reread and see if I can get more activity going). At this point you can make threads you feel might be important, but most likely they won't get much traffic, as the big threads at this point are already around.

    In the end, just try some stuff out by posting your thoughts, whether big or small. Over time you'll get more comfortable and your style will evolve on its own. If you are being to hostile or anything along those lines, the mods will tell you. Criticism from them and others should be taken with grace and used to become better. When it comes to the news section and that stuff, that can be a bit trickier. I don't post there as much because I just lack knowledge. I would be fine if I had a dissenting opinion, but lack of knowledge means I would get eaten alive. My advice in that case would be to ask questions or learn about certain aspects before trying to post long arguments.


    Last point, I promise, is be willing to admit if you are wrong. Whether terrible or decent arguments, there have been a number of times where I was called out on my bullshit, or people just had better arguments. Example, in the New Nakama thread I was making an argument about how there might not be any more straw hats. While some of my points were decent, Robby just had so many good points that I couldn't argue against, so I admitted being wrong. If you still feel you might be correct, say that you aren't convinced, but you see the points they are making.

    I hope that helps.

  10. #10
    A little bit bored. :/ Nitwit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Warship Island

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Thanks for the good advise. I may make some videos on my YouTube account soon. They may be different than your average YouTube video. They're going to be more experimental since I'm into weird type of videos. The crazy kind where a character act like a different persona of their usual self outside the camera. If you ever watched Red Letter Media or any live action Adult Swim show. It's gonna to be in that style. I'll also make some commentaries but in my own twist. But I have to wait until 2016 just to get a better equipment and a faster computer. I hope they'll be good enough to post on this site? Cause I'm going to need it! lol
    But, how, can I exist within the midst of this? But, how, can I admit that I would quit on you? Missio - Can I Exist

  11. #11

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    .

    This is where many people these days are. Stuck in their own bubble refusing to see the world for what it really is, they believe they are right, and I was one of them. There is only one thing that truly keeps them in the bubble, one of the most basic emotions that cause people to freeze and refuse to move forward. Fear.

    Looking back, I was afraid to leave my bubble and see the true world.


    No longer do I fear the world or what I don’t understand. I am willing to admit when my beliefs are wrong, and love it even. I now know who I am, and while who I was before was an ugly monster, I am slowly changing into something better. The comfort of being in my own little world is now foreign to me, as seeking the truth and actual knowledge is more exciting than anything that my world could’ve ever provided.[/spoiler]
    Ok, but what actually is that?

    It's not like one day you will be enlighted by the light of some supreme entity (it's the flying spaghetti monster #believe) that will lay out it's master plan for you to see and understand.

    While the search for knowledge is certaintly a correct path to take, it's absolutely impossible to reach an objective final answer.
    In the end, won't your vision of your journey be limited/restricted to a certain degree by your little world, as much as you wouldn't like it so? It will all be subjective to a certain degree, and you can't dissociate that with everything you have felt and lived in the past.

    Also,for some reason, I always assumed you were a marine biologist. Wtf...

  12. #12

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    Ok, but what actually is that?

    It's not like one day you will be enlighted by the light of some supreme entity (it's the flying spaghetti monster #believe) that will lay out it's master plan for you to see and understand.

    While the search for knowledge is certaintly a correct path to take, it's absolutely impossible to reach an objective final answer.
    In the end, won't your vision of your journey be limited/restricted to a certain degree by your little world, as much as you wouldn't like it so? It will all be subjective to a certain degree, and you can't dissociate that with everything you have felt and lived in the past.
    The "search for knowledge" is not a "correct path", is the natural path of every living being, we are in constant learning and while we choose "truths" to believe or let's say "convictions" to follow in the early years, is part of life to break those "paradigms" sooner or later as we live.
    Sure, the truth is molded by your life and perspectives of it, but you really can't be stuck in a point of view all your life, you will learn new things that will change your perspective many times, you just have to be open minded (here is where the danger is), if someone disagrees with you about a subject, you have to listen, ponderate his/hers idea of "truth", question yourself if he/she has a point and if is "good enough" to change your idea of "truth".


    All this reminded me about a famous quote: "I only know that I know nothing"


    Also, sorry to jump in this conversation.
    Last edited by C_uggs; December 5th, 2015 at 09:50 PM.
    When AP used to be good:

    NEVER FORGET !!

  13. #13

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    Ok, but what actually is that?

    It's not like one day you will be enlighted by the light of some supreme entity (it's the flying spaghetti monster #believe) that will lay out it's master plan for you to see and understand.

    While the search for knowledge is certaintly a correct path to take, it's absolutely impossible to reach an objective final answer.
    In the end, won't your vision of your journey be limited/restricted to a certain degree by your little world, as much as you wouldn't like it so? It will all be subjective to a certain degree, and you can't dissociate that with everything you have felt and lived in the past.

    Also,for some reason, I always assumed you were a marine biologist. Wtf...
    It's a bit like Captain Ugly said. Like I said in my end metaphor, it's like the initial journey is climbing to the top of a mountain, where the true journey is what's in front of you with no end in sight. You never will reach the end, but the journey is more important then getting to the final destination. I will still have my world view because of that, but I'm not afraid of change anymore and willing to be open minded.

    And yes, I am a marine biologist. When I was talking about learning knowledge and the truth, I meant in all facets of life and not just my field.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ugly View Post
    The "search for knowledge" is not a "correct path", is the natural path of every living being, we are in constant learning and while we choose "truths" to believe or let's say "convictions" to follow in the early years, is part of life to break those "paradigms" sooner or later as we live.
    Sure, the truth is molded by your life and perspectives of it, but you really can't be stuck in a point of view all your life, you will learn new things that will change your perspective many times, you just have to be open minded (here is where the danger is), if someone disagrees with you about a subject, you have to listen, ponderate his/hers idea of "truth", question yourself if he/she has a point and if is "good enough" to change your idea of "truth".


    All this reminded me about a famous quote: "I only know that I know nothing"


    Also, sorry to jump in this conversation.
    Hey the more joined in, the better the conversation.

    Unfortunately for the bolded part, that's so many people these days. Most likely this has been a part of human history, but it feels even more relevant these days. People have access and capabilities to distort all kinds of information, it's so much easier for someone to just point to a source they feel is accurate and fits their view. That was me until recently, where I listen to what I see/hear, but then look up other sources and think deeply about it.

  14. #14

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ugly View Post
    The "search for knowledge" is not a "correct path", is the natural path of every living being, we are in constant learning and while we choose "truths" to believe or let's say "convictions" to follow in the early years, is part of life to break those "paradigms" sooner or later as we live.
    I would honestly say that the majority of people I know and see in a lot of things don´t really fit in that open mindess idea, and thus I can´t accept the definition has a "natural path".
    A lot, I actually dare to say most, of the population doesn´t want to be proven wrong and isn´t really keen on the idea that the ideals they have believed all of their lives might have been wrong.
    The defensive stances I´ve seen from people when their "absolute truths" are placed in jeopardy can become pathetic and have changed my idea of a certain someone a lot of times.
    People seem more interested in "winning" than "learning". In today´s age, you can research quite a lot of info about a certain subject in order to better understand it and possibly change your initial concepts about it. However, ignoring or distorting information that doesn´t fit your perspective is a common occurrence these days.



    Also, sorry to jump in this conversation.
    You are always welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    It's a bit like Captain Ugly said. Like I said in my end metaphor, it's like the initial journey is climbing to the top of a mountain, where the true journey is what's in front of you with no end in sight. You never will reach the end, but the journey is more important then getting to the final destination. I will still have my world view because of that, but I'm not afraid of change anymore and willing to be open minded.
    Somehow I missed that. I think that it is a good metaphor.
    And yes, I am a marine biologist. When I was talking about learning knowledge and the truth, I meant in all facets of life and not just my field.
    When you talked about conservation and research I associated with something done at land for some dumb reason.

  15. #15

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    I would honestly say that the majority of people I know and see in a lot of things don´t really fit in that open mindess idea, and thus I can´t accept the definition has a "natural path".

    A lot, I actually dare to say most, of the population doesn´t want to be proven wrong and isn´t really keen on the idea that the ideals they have believed all of their lives might have been wrong.

    The defensive stances I´ve seen from people when their "absolute truths" are placed in jeopardy can become pathetic and have changed my idea of a certain someone a lot of times.

    People seem more interested in "winning" than "learning". In today´s age, you can research quite a lot of info about a certain subject in order to better understand it and possibly change your initial concepts about it. However, ignoring or distorting information that doesn´t fit your perspective is a common occurrence these days.
    We can't stop the attainment of knowledge to happen, it happens as we live, people that lives in denial and ignores new ideas and concepts that goes against their beliefs just choose to live a life founded by convenient and simplistic rules.A healthy argument is the best option for learning, it is a shame that factors such as racism, prejudice and hate speech disguised as "tradition and good costumes" influence most arguments.

    But let´s say that a healthy discussion is happening between two people:
    Hidden:

    Person A and Person B likes different types of music, Person A don´t like the type of music that Person B likes, and vise versa.

    The "healthy" way to make a discussion in this scenario is:
    Person A: Hey Person B, would you like to listen to a new song of my favorite type of music ?

    Person B: I don´t like the type of music you like, but I will listen to it.

    *Person B listen to the song and ponderates if he/she likes the song*

    Person A: So, did you liked ?

    Person B: Yes, I liked/No, I didn't liked.
    When AP used to be good:

    NEVER FORGET !!

  16. #16

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    I would honestly say that the majority of people I know and see in a lot of things don´t really fit in that open mindess idea, and thus I can´t accept the definition has a "natural path".
    A lot, I actually dare to say most, of the population doesn´t want to be proven wrong and isn´t really keen on the idea that the ideals they have believed all of their lives might have been wrong.
    The defensive stances I´ve seen from people when their "absolute truths" are placed in jeopardy can become pathetic and have changed my idea of a certain someone a lot of times.
    People seem more interested in "winning" than "learning". In today´s age, you can research quite a lot of info about a certain subject in order to better understand it and possibly change your initial concepts about it. However, ignoring or distorting information that doesn´t fit your perspective is a common occurrence these days.
    This is unfortunately true, where people just flat out refuse to allow their minds to change to new ideas. On the conservative side of things, people just claim the liberal media is trying to distort the truth for their own agenda. I've seen people in Texas with stickers and Facebook posts claiming the states should stay red (be a Republican state). I have friends and family who when stating their reasons for something, it's mostly "They believe in these lies, while I believe in these truths".

    As you said, people feel the need to win, which causes this problem in the first place. I don't know the exact cause, but I feel part of it is you are ingrained in a certain age that only winners can make it to the top. Only through being aggressive can you make your dreams come true, and stating that you are wrong makes you a loser. If you decide claim fault/wrongdoing you are a loser who won't amount to anything. It's the exact opposite, where admitting being wrong can lead to maturity and greater knowledge. I can articulate thoughts better now because of that.



    Somehow I missed that. I think that it is a good metaphor.
    If you want the paragraph it was in, here you are.


    Spoiler:
    While these last few weeks I feel I have come so far, it’s only now that I see how far I have to go. It’s like going up a mountain thinking the destination is at the top. Only when you reach the top you see land as far as you can see, with the destination nowhere to be seen. Only then did I realize that not only that I have so far to go, but that this destination is one that I will never reach. However, the journey is what’s important, and seeing how far I can go is the challenge I seek.



    When you talked about conservation and research I associated with something done at land for some dumb reason.
    It happens, and even if you do one kind of research, helping in other kinds is still good because there are similarities. I've helped a little here and there with non marine stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ugly View Post
    We can't stop the attainment of knowledge to happen, it happens as we live, people that lives in denial and ignores new ideas and concepts that goes against their beliefs just choose to live a life founded by convenient and simplistic rules.A healthy argument is the best option for learning, it is a shame that factors such as racism, prejudice and hate speech disguised as "tradition and good costumes" influence most arguments.

    But let´s say that a healthy discussion is happening between two people:
    Hidden:

    Person A and Person B likes different types of music, Person A don´t like the type of music that Person B likes, and vise versa.

    The "healthy" way to make a discussion in this scenario is:
    Person A: Hey Person B, would you like to listen to a new song of my favorite type of music ?

    Person B: I don´t like the type of music you like, but I will listen to it.

    *Person B listen to the song and ponderates if he/she likes the song*

    Person A: So, did you liked ?

    Person B: Yes, I liked/No, I didn't liked.
    It's always easy to tell the difference between an open minded person and one who is stubborn and hides behind lies. Those who give reasons like "It's not natural" or "This person/news source which has x amount of viewers said this" or the classic "I know the actual facts, they don't" means they have no argument and just refuse to do so. When someone puts reasoning behind their ideas and goes through the different reasons they actually believe such a thing, they are more open minded usually.

    Here's an example of such a thing where two people might talk about immigration on the same side, but are very different.

    Spoiler:
    A: Illegal immigrants didn't come here legally, so they must leave then come back legally
    B: I think it's not right that they can come in like that and avoid certain things are legally obligated to do, but deportation might not be the best idea
    A: Of it should, think of all the jobs that it would bring back to the economy, Fox News had statistics on that
    B: Yes, there might be some more job availability, but will people want those jobs, especially with how it was associated with work done by illegal immigrants? Also, it would be a tremendous burden on everyone to just deport them. There has to be a better way.
    A: You just spouting that hogwash other media wants you to believe. You need to get your facts straight and know that this is the best option
    B: It's true I don't know the facts, but I do know that you aren't looking at the big picture


    Probably not a conversation you will actually hear, but if you can hear the subtly you can pinpoint something along the lines like this.

  17. #17

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    No spoilers, just something really random that I decided to type out.

    Spoiler:
    I seem to find myself in a position where I don't feel like doing anything with my free time. Thankfully I can still do what I need to do like getting application stuff done, walking the dog, cooking and cleaning, and all other necessary tasks. Instead it just comes down to evenings where I could play games, read something, watch something, or anything else, but I just sit there listening to some music thinking. This seems to happen more and more of late, and at first I was wondering why it was the case. I finally figured out the reason though, and it may seem silly.

    So last year I took the GRE. For anybody who doesn't know what that is, I'll tell you right now. It's a standardized test (because the states here love that stuff) which many Universities require you to take to even have a chance to get into Grad School. Depending on the school and program, you may have to get a high score, and it's not easy. It consists of six sections which you have about 30 minutes for each section, with a minute in between each section and one ten minute break in the middle. The math concepts aren't necessarily hard, but the better you do the harder they make it, which means putting a different wording to trick you. The reading section will throw the craziest words from the English dictionary at you, because F you. Then the writing section will hit you hard because 30 minutes is hard to come up with a rebuttal to a random prompt. On their own it could be feasible but being in a building for four hours taking the thing will take it out of you. Worse for me was I had to take it twice.

    So more on topic, I spent my five weeks offshore during and between work studying for the thing. I watched hours of videos on tips and concepts, I worked through 100's to most likely over 1000 math and verbal problems. I learned new vocabulary (almost all which I have forgotten at this point). All in all, the amount of time I put in studying for one stupid test was probably at least a weeks worth of time, probably more. It sucked, and I was dying near the end of the second try, but I succeeded. I got around the 90th percentile (slightly lower) for both the Quantitative and Analytical sections (Math and Reading/Vocab). After such a huge victory, I didn't go and do stuff with my free time, but just sat around and did almost nothing with the return of my free time. Sure, I could make the excuse that I was brain dead for almost two weeks, but I could still think straight and had no problem doing everything else. I just did what I'm mostly doing now, daily errands then sit down, listen to music, then think about random stuff.

    For a while it didn't happen after that. Of course there was the fact that I was travelling around, so the more free time there was the less there was for me to go and see. However, once I got to my internship area I was fine playing games, chatting or watching movies/shows (The Justice League animated show is great btw). Then I hit a spot again where I didn't feel like doing much. I would do what I needed to do, but I then mainly listened to music and just thought. I would also put lets pays in the background and just browse through stuff randomly. A lot like what I've been doing now as well and I see a connection. In Greece, I had just finished Trails in the Sky Second Chapter, and just yesterday I finished Trails of Cold Steel, both games I really enjoyed on a level that few games have made me enjoy.

    So here I am, realizing that whenever something happens that leaves an impact, it drains me of doing anything else except listen to music and think about stuff. Makes sense, as those huge moments make me look back on the journey, and then see how it effected me in some way. I could do something else, but I just want the time for that thing to sink in before I go on to the next major event. I'll slowly get back in, start a groove, get that impact, then start all over again. It's a strange, but welcomed feeling. Currently I have been enjoying my favorite songs from the two games I mentioned, among some others.

    Now the question is why did I type this out? Did I have some big piece of advice or epiphany that came out of this? Has something from this brought some kind of significant change to me?

    Nope. I just felt like typing this out because I felt it needed to be typed out.

  18. #18

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    The important part is, as long as we live, things will always happen, at random times and places and it always depends on ourselves to do what we want with these random cases. Freedom is a scary concept, when we finally grasp it, we are too scared about the sheer size of it that we don't avail the totality of this state of being.


    Sure, most of my days can summarized to "Play games, watch Youtube, post on FB, walk with the dog, cook, clean", but it always depends on myself to make that travel, if I will go to a tattoo studio today so I can get that tattoo I always wanted or if I want to finish that manga that I started to read in 2008.
    When AP used to be good:

    NEVER FORGET !!

  19. #19

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    I'm absolutely dreading the GRE, whether I take it later this year or at some point in the future. It's essentially a test of your ability to cram, and I'm horrible at studying. This is legitimately the first standardized test in my life I've been worried about and I hate it.

  20. #20

    Default Re: The Franky Tank's Ramblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ugly View Post
    The important part is, as long as we live, things will always happen, at random times and places and it always depends on ourselves to do what we want with these random cases. Freedom is a scary concept, when we finally grasp it, we are too scared about the sheer size of it that we don't avail the totality of this state of being.


    Sure, most of my days can summarized to "Play games, watch Youtube, post on FB, walk with the dog, cook, clean", but it always depends on myself to make that travel, if I will go to a tattoo studio today so I can get that tattoo I always wanted or if I want to finish that manga that I started to read in 2008.
    Definitely agree there. In the last two years things always keep changing for me, and whenever an opportunity presents itself I try for it. Doesn't always work out, but you need to try. This is something I might go into another time, but this is how people can be separated from "success" and "unsuccessful" (I put them in quotations because of people's varied opinion on what defines it). I have friends who don't do well with those random cases, and it causes them to get into a slump, and not taking advantage of opportunities makes it worse.

    Not sure if I found Freedom to be a scary concept. Then again, as I had in one of my earlier posts I was scared to think outside my bubble for a long time, so perhaps that was me being scared of freedom (freedom of thought). Also, what Manga are you trying to finish from 2008? (Is it about a family's bizarre adventure)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    I'm absolutely dreading the GRE, whether I take it later this year or at some point in the future. It's essentially a test of your ability to cram, and I'm horrible at studying. This is legitimately the first standardized test in my life I've been worried about and I hate it.
    It can be brutal and it can take some adjusting to get good at trying to get down and study. My advice would be to start early and do what I did. I started refreshing myself on concepts and read some tips on how to take and study for the test. I did it off and on for a while. My mistakes were buying those GRE books (don't do a whole lot and the questions aren't like the ones on the test), and taking the GRE the first time without doing much outside of what I did at first. Then again, taking it once allows you to see how it really works, and I did overall better than 50th percentile on everything.

    I would then suggest after slowly absorbing stuff in, start to get in a habit of studying a certain amount of time a day. Do practice problems, practice writing times essays, keep refreshing yourself on concepts, etc. If you can get in a grove of studying a few hours a day at least a month before, that should be good. You should take some practice tests to get an idea of where you are at and learn to be under the time pressure. Last, but most importantly, the last few days leading up to the test you should be lighter on the studying and more on just resting your brain. You want it to be in top shape on test day.

    If you want suggestions based on how I studied, feel free to send a PM or post on my Wall and I'll tell you the sources I used.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts