+ Reply to Thread
Page 121 of 122 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 119 120 121 122 LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 2421

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

  1. #2401

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Had a little marathon up until the Jimbe crew offer. The chronology of that final fight gets confusing because the anime jumps around in time and reorders the manga chapters. There’s one scene we laughed pretty hard at—where Shirahoshi gets distracted talking to the sea kings and lets a fainted Luffy crash into the ship even though she could’ve grabbed and saved him.

    And I don’t get why they translated Hody’s important line as, “Not a damn thing.” The original line “Nothing” fits the lip flaps, is a more accurate translation, and hits harder. I’m really confused why they’d go out of their way to break the lip flaps; did the funi translator just not think of “nothing” or not read the manga’s translation? That was annoying; though it was only a line, it was the most important line in the arc.

    And yes, Big Mom’s voice is perfect. That scene really feels like a Mike scene.

    Overall, the Hordy fight just felt bad to me, messy and overlong. Probably the weakest main villain fight in OP. I also wish the final hit was the one where he had Ace backing him, rather than just beating up Hordy along with the ship.

    Yes, the dub makes this arc more digestible, but it still feels 33% too long. Give me a scalpel and I’ll cut it down by a third without losing anything—the manga too.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    No One Piece in August.


  2. #2402

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Had a little marathon up until the Jimbe crew offer. The chronology of that final fight gets confusing because the anime jumps around in time and reorders the manga chapters. There’s one scene we laughed pretty hard at—where Shirahoshi gets distracted talking to the sea kings and lets a fainted Luffy crash into the ship even though she could’ve grabbed and saved him.

    And I don’t get why they translated Hody’s important line as, “Not a damn thing.” The original line “Nothing” fits the lip flaps, is a more accurate translation, and hits harder. I’m really confused why they’d go out of their way to break the lip flaps; did the funi translator just not think of “nothing” or not read the manga’s translation? That was annoying; though it was only a line, it was the most important line in the arc.

    And yes, Big Mom’s voice is perfect. That scene really feels like a Mike scene.

    Overall, the Hordy fight just felt bad to me, messy and overlong. Probably the weakest main villain fight in OP. I also wish the final hit was the one where he had Ace backing him, rather than just beating up Hordy along with the ship.

    Yes, the dub makes this arc more digestible, but it still feels 33% too long. Give me a scalpel and I’ll cut it down by a third without losing anything—the manga too.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    No One Piece in August.

    http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/09/angry-dwight.gif
    The wait continues, guess there's still some production delays

  3. #2403
    Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    At a desk, making something

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Dang I was hoping we'd at least get Collection 22

  4. #2404

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    smh...........................
    I made this terrible username 8 years ago!

  5. #2405

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Now I went back and checked episode 553, and its terrific acting wise. Shirahoshi was heartbreaking. I really ought to give more credit to Joel.

  6. #2406

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    So I did some checking 5 years ago

    The sub was at 595 and the sub was at 263, a gap of 332 episodes

    Roughly 2 years ago, the sub was at 743 and dub was 468, a gap of 275

    Current gap is 262, so theres definitely been a slowdown lately and Idk why
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:



  7. #2407

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    For Christs sake, if the holdup is because of Hands Up!, then It's not worth it. It's not even that good of an opening.

    If It's a money issue and has nothing to do with the international licensing rights, then Funi shouldn't even be having any problems paying for it.

  8. #2408

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    When you feel like things couldnt go slower, remember, you could always be a Detective Conan fan or worse! You could be LATIN AMERICAN! HAHAHAHA...

    ...I made myself SUPER sad.

  9. #2409

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Funimation is doing some kind of one piece live video on their facebook page today, though i expect nothing from it

  10. #2410

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by AceLuffy4ever View Post
    Funimation is doing some kind of one piece live video on their facebook page today, though i expect nothing from it
    They’re just building a thousand sunny for their office and decided to stream it. Would be nice if they revealed season ten somehow during it, but that won’t happen

  11. #2411

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    When you feel like things couldnt go slower, remember, you could always be a Detective Conan fan or worse! You could be LATIN AMERICAN! HAHAHAHA...

    ...I made myself SUPER sad.
    Well, FUNi slammed the door on Case Closed ("Funimation's Case Closed, KenIchi the Mightiest Disciple Licenses Expire"), so that one is done for unless someone decides to pick up the license and release subs

  12. #2412

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    That's the point. ._. One Piece has the love of Funimation going for it. NO ONE Does like 500 episodes for a project they dont love and believe in. If it wasnt it would have joined Toriko, Detective Conan, and Sgt Frog on the list of Funimation's failure to launch titles.

  13. #2413

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Funi continuing to dub One Piece has nothing to do with love or belief. It's all about money and sales.

  14. #2414

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Ok, Sales and Money are THE most important. Yes.


    Also on less depressing news Toei is offering One Piece in the Licensing Expo!



    This could mean lots of exciting things! I cant wait for news!

  15. #2415

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Ok, Sales and Money are THE most important. Yes.


    Also on less depressing news Toei is offering One Piece in the Licensing Expo!



    This could mean lots of exciting things! I cant wait for news!
    What does that mean? That Funimation isn’t picking it up anymore and Toei is looking for new buyers? Or is it merchandising licenses?

  16. #2416
    Just badass Sano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Keokuk, Iowa

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    That mostly for merchandise stuff.

  17. #2417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    What does that mean? That Funimation isn’t picking it up anymore and Toei is looking for new buyers? Or is it merchandising licenses?
    Uh....it's not the first part at all lol. FUNi still has it and it's just for merchandise which FUNi also has the license for. If you're using that logic then they wouldn't have Super either lmao

  18. #2418

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatCaptainUsopp View Post
    Uh....it's not the first part at all lol. FUNi still has it and it's just for merchandise which FUNi also has the license for. If you're using that logic then they wouldn't have Super either lmao
    Haha. I wasn’t using any logic. That’s a string of questions. No idea why they’d need to have an expo or presentation for licensing when they could just call Funimation directly. Not sure of the function of this event

  19. #2419
    Just badass Sano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Keokuk, Iowa

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Haha. I wasn’t using any logic. That’s a string of questions. No idea why they’d need to have an expo or presentation for licensing when they could just call Funimation directly. Not sure of the function of this event
    A lot of companies does these licensing expos. From what I learn from listing to one of the most recent episodes of Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard. Even WWE and WCW were part of these events, its mostly for the international markets from what I understand.

  20. #2420
    Tales of Kingdom Hearts iMustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Missouri, USA

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    I know Funimation had a good hand in One Piece merchandise licenses over here. In my business I can occasionally order figures from Good Smile, Bandai, and other Japanese toymakers at cost (perks of the job rock sometimes haha). And when I ordered a Pudding figure for my fiancé as a gift for catching up in the anime (which she finally did last month after a 2 and a half year journey) I noticed there was a Funimation logo sticker directly applied to the box. I'm glad Funimation has hit a point of financial security where they can do things like this and Simuldubs. With anime constantly battling online piracy, I'm glad to see when companies can still do well in spite of it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts