+ Reply to Thread
Page 167 of 167 FirstFirst ... 67 117 157 165 166 167
Results 3,321 to 3,333 of 3333

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik Dynomite View Post
    I guess what I was getting at would be maybe some of the directing. Given how quickly they need to work to get simuldub episodes out on time, the amount of time they can spend on multiple takes for each line is limited.
    Like rather than taking time to get the best delivery, they might have to go with the "good enough" delivery or reading because time constraints. Multiplied by the amount of voices needed per episodes, it's likely it would suffer, especially in minor characters
    And personally, with the one piece dub, the minor character lines it think are some of the most crucial. With so many cut aways to citizens commenting on what's happening every episode, those lines NEED to be interesting or else the whole episode suffers
    Something I've noticed since fishmen island in the dub, is that the citizens have more fun with the lines, even changing them from the subs completely in some cases. Similar to how I expect Yu Yu Hakusho was handled
    Basically, with more time, they can have more takes, and more time to be creative with lines

I'd still prefer them dubbing all the old movies over a simuldub
    Fair points. I hear you. I’d just prefer a simuldub to the slow to nonexistent schedule we have now, quality dip and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Really? You guys wouldn't want a simuldub? That's nuts to me. They could just take on one or two less shows next season to compensate. Trade out their smutty simuldubs for OP. OP certainly makes more sense and deserves it more. That'd be a dream for me, and imagine: no more struggles to "catch-up." It would just be about closing a finite, ungrowing gap. I'd love​ that.
    I know I've mentioned it before, but that's exactly what they've done in Korea, and the results have been pretty great according to my friend over there. They've been simuldubbing the latest episode two weeks after Japan since the beginning of Zou. And even though they were 200+ episodes behind when they started, they've slowly been airing the undubbed episodes alongside the simuldub, and are now almost all caught up and currently airing Dressrosa. No reason the same couldn't happen for us. Just think how it could rejuvenate the franchise.

In regards to the script or performance quality, I don't think a simuldub would make much difference for the reasons Zephray mentioned. If anything, they could just go back and re-record or fix lines for the home release, like they do for most of their other simuldubs.

And actually, there is some good news regarding the amount of crap anime being produced, as I just read an article on anime news network that the number of late-night anime titles this upcoming season is going to be cut by 30% compared to last year, due to over-saturation. Perahps this lack of new IP's, combined with the fact that almost all new and old crunchyroll content is officially going off the funimation rolls starting this season, maybe they'll reconsider the prospect of simuldubbing OP again. Maybe the new management will do some much-needed reevaluating. We'll see.

Does the company that handle the Korean Simuldub have like a jillion other anime simuldubs to make like Funimation does?

Quote Originally Posted by wjbraden View Post
    I know I've mentioned it before, but that's exactly what they've done in Korea, and the results have been pretty great according to my friend over there. They've been simuldubbing the latest episode two weeks after Japan since the beginning of Zou. And even though they were 200+ episodes behind when they started, they've slowly been airing the undubbed episodes alongside the simuldub, and are now almost all caught up and currently airing Dressrosa. No reason the same couldn't happen for us. Just think how it could rejuvenate the franchise.
    Exactly! If One Piece is largely dead in the states, I'm betting having a more up-to-date dub will help similar to how the speed-up in the VIZ manga releases helped ten or so years ago.

In regards to the script or performance quality, I don't think a simuldub would make much difference for the reasons Zephray mentioned. If anything, they could just go back and re-record or fix lines for the home release, like they do for most of their other simuldubs.

And actually, there is some good news regarding the amount of crap anime being produced, as I just read an article on anime news network that the number of late-night anime titles this upcoming season is going to be cut by 30% compared to last year, due to over-saturation. Perahps this lack of new IP's, combined with the fact that almost all new and old crunchyroll content is officially going off the funimation rolls starting this season, maybe they'll reconsider the prospect of simuldubbing OP again. Maybe the new management will do some much-needed reevaluating. We'll see.
    Do they actually take the effort to go back and fix stuff? I wouldn't have given them credit for that. Are you sure?

And when you say the titles will be cut by 30%, you mean the titles produced, not dubbed, right? That probably won't have any effect on the number of titles simuldubbed since they don't dub anywhere near all the titles produced anyway.

At any rate, I'm betting that if the OP live-action boost the popularity, they'd concede to simuldub. But that probably won't be for a while and who knows if the show will catch on (most likely it won't).

Exactly! If One Piece is largely dead in the states, I'm betting having a more up-to-date dub will help similar to how the speed-up in the VIZ manga releases helped ten or so years ago.
    Right, in the age of internet and simulcasts, people know about the new stuff coming out of Japan, and they want the newest of the new. A couple of reasons the dub releases might be suffering right now is because: 1) people are annoyed being so far behind and don't care about the old stuff so much, 2) they don't care about home releases so much (streaming is the future, like it or not), or in extreme cases, 3) they don't even know that the Funi dub exists (seriously, some people still think 4kids has it, just look on youtube lol). A simuldub, along with some aggressive marketing could fix all of that.

I just know there's a whole untapped fanbase of new and old fans out there that would prefer to the latest stuff dubbed. Hell, I think even you and I would sign up for FunimationNow just to see an OP simuldub. There's two people right there. It's a win-win for everyone and could be just what the doctor ordered to get us back on track again.

Do they actually take the effort to go back and fix stuff? I wouldn't have given them credit for that. Are you sure?
    They do, though the level of revision varies. Usually an off line or two will be fixed, or if a main character's VA is sick for an extended period of time, and someone else has to step in for a bit to meet the simul-dub schedule, they'll typically go back and re-record with the original VA for the home video release.

And when you say the titles will be cut by 30%, you mean the titles produced, not dubbed, right? That probably won't have any effect on the number of titles simuldubbed since they don't dub anywhere near all the titles produced anyway.
    Correct, but this does mean that the pool of titles they have to license from will be marginally smaller than it has been previously. Plus, with Sentai, Netflix, Amazon, and Cruchyroll playing hungry-hungry hippos more and more these days with licensing, Funi might end up on the short end of the stick and need some new and, ya know, actually decent content. With OP being a cash-cow just sitting there, it might start to look more appealing...

At any rate, I'm betting that if the OP live-action boost the popularity, they'd concede to simuldub. But that probably won't be for a while and who knows if the show will catch on (most likely it won't).
    I'm really hoping it turns out to be half-way decent, but considering how crappy the other Netflix live-action adaptions have been, I wouldn't hold my breath. If they can garner a huge budget and pull off a Alita Battle Angel, maybe, just maybe, we'd be going places.
    Last edited by wjbraden; March 19th, 2019 at 02:19 PM.

Right, in the age of internet and simulcasts, people know about the new stuff coming out of Japan, and they want the newest of the new. A couple of reasons the dub releases might be suffering right now is because: 1) people are annoyed being so far behind and don't care about the old stuff so much, 2) they don't care about home releases so much (streaming is the future, like it or not), or in extreme cases, 3) they don't even know that the Funi dub exists (seriously, some people still think 4kids has it, just look on youtube lol). A simuldub, along with some aggressive marketing could fix all of that.

I just know there's a whole untapped fanbase of new and old fans out there that would prefer to the latest stuff dubbed. Hell, I think even you and I would sign up for FunimationNow just to see an OP simuldub. There's two people right there. It's a win-win for everyone and could be just what the doctor ordered to get us back on track again.

They do, though the level of revision varies. Usually an off line or two will be fixed, or if a main character's VA is sick for an extended period of time, and someone else has to step in for a bit to meet the simul-dub schedule, they'll typically go back and re-record with the original VA for the home video release.

Correct, but this does mean that the pool of titles they have to license from will be marginally smaller than it has been previously. Plus, with Sentai, Netflix, Amazon, and Cruchyroll playing hungry-hungry hippos more and more these days with licensing, Funi might end up on the short end of the stick and need some new and, ya know, actually decent content. With OP being a cash-cow just sitting there, it might start to look more appealing...

I'm really hoping it turns out to be half-way decent, but considering how crappy the other Netflix live-action adaptions have been, I wouldn't hold my breath. If they can garner a huge budget and pull off a Alita Battle Angel, maybe, just maybe, we'd be going places.
    Time for us to advise Funimation... haha.

Their redubbing is only for more serious stuff like actor replacements. It doesn't really account for shoddy performances as the previous poster mentioned was a risk with simuldubbing.

Time for us to advise Funimation... haha.

Their redubbing is only for more serious stuff like actor replacements. It doesn't really account for shoddy performances as the previous poster mentioned was a risk with simuldubbing.
    Agreed. We could call ourselves Arlong Park Consultants llc... lol.

Regardless of a few flubs or off-performances from a more rushed schedule, I still think it's totally worth it tho.

I personally don’t think Netflix’s live action will fare so well. I think part of what makes OP so great is it’s cartoonish animation. It makes it a really fun show to watch. With all the DF powers I’d imagine it’d be pretty difficult to create a live action adaption of the show. I just can’t imagine it being appealing to the eye. I don’t know.

As much as I would love to see a simuldub, and have faith in Mike's directing, I would have to call into question how the quality would stand up over time.

I'm not too familiar with the other simuldubs Funi does, but do they do this with any year-long running series? The only simuldub I've seen was for My Hero, but I know that's a seasonal anime.

Just as the OP anime overall has suffered from a constant weekly cycle, I'd absolutely be concerned with the quality of adding this weekly on the plate of those involved in the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

But the simuldub situation promises a new episode a week. On the other hand, here we have a year and a half long, potentially longer, drought which may or may not be reoccurring over the years (has already happened once between seasons three and four) as Funimation always treads far behind the Japanese episode count.

Isn’t an imperfect anime dub far better than no dub at all?

Isn’t an imperfect anime dub far better than no dub at all?

Except we don't have "no dub"

We've -at least- had specials released. It's not like NOTHING has happened

Just as the regular anime as a whole, i'd rather wait for a quality product than have something weekly that drags on quality.

Again though, I'm not someone who's kept up on all the simuldubs Funi is doing.

That said though, I do question the point of a simuldub for a series that takes virtually no breaks year round that has some of Fun's main actors and technical staff involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

It's been "no dub" for a year and a half with no signs or promises of it ending. With the exceptions, yes, of movie-sized works. Not sure what you mean by your last point. And I guess we'll all have to just wonder how much the quality would or wouldn't dip. No one can say for sure if the dip would be negligible or significant. I lean toward thinking it'll be slightly more than negligible (and therefore worth it), and it sounds like you think it'll be significant (and therefore not worth it).

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Does the company that handle the Korean Simuldub have like a jillion other anime simuldubs to make like Funimation does?
    No, and that is one thing to consider. Daewon (the company that handles OP) only does a few series per season, and simuldubs aren't the norm there yet. In fact, One Piece was the first anime to get one over there.

So yeah, a FunI simuldub might just be a pipedream for right now, but at least we know it's possible (i.e. Toei doesn't have a problem with doling out rights for some stupid, petty reason, like with Dragon Ball Super), and there's precedent.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information