+ Reply to Thread
Page 248 of 248 FirstFirst ... 148 198 238 246 247 248
Results 4,941 to 4,958 of 4958

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Well i know its been known unofficially that Punk Hazard was done dubbing but its great to see confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    They’re around 600 episodes into the series dub. I’m not sure what’s tripping you guys up.
    Huh? I'm not confused, I was just saying why he said it. In the first couple seconds of hearing that it threw me off a bit but then I understood. I wouldn't expect anyone but Mike to be super up to date on the current episode count in Japan.

Man, too bad they don't have any OP superfans as directors. Wish I could send them an application haha
    Going broke while paying to fix your child's gigantism? M4A can help! Vote Bernie Sanders 2020!

BTW is the yellow logo kaput?

We have no idea yet. Guess we'll find out if Hands Up! remains intact in Voyage 2(?).

I think it would be a smart sales move to release voyage two digitally very shortly after the first voyage is released on streaming or on DVD. Then, the people who finish the first voyage have a way to get the second if they’re impatient.

So hopefully, we’ll see the next voyage released within the next two weeks. It’s been over a month since the last digital release, so I’m getting impatient.
    Last edited by Zephray; May 28th, 2020 at 11:36 PM.
    Going broke while paying to fix your child's gigantism? M4A can help! Vote Bernie Sanders 2020!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUKWj_vurQE&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank">

I
    know Vic Mignogna is a shitty asshole but this opening is awesome and makes me wish the Kid Friendly Funimation dub was still a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUKWj_vurQE&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank">

I
    know Vic Mignogna is a shitty asshole but this opening is awesome and makes me wish the Kid Friendly Funimation dub was still a thing.
    It was never “kid friendly,” but yeah I miss the dubbed openings too.

That video says the episode is a TV Y7 FV rated episode. That means plenty was edited or at least this episode didnt have much objectionable about it. And this is the kid friendly Toonami edit.

Not every episode is like that. The main reason 4Kids dropped OP was because of how expensive and time-consuming it was to edit every episode. The amount of blood, sexual content and violent imagery only continued to increase.

There's no point, financially, for a kid-friendly edit of One Piece in this day and age anymore.

Quite a few of those eps were TVPG, as well. I still have those broadcast episodes saved, and that season still holds a special place in my heart.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

I exist...I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    I know Vic Mignogna is a shitty asshole but this opening is awesome and makes me wish the Kid Friendly Funimation dub was still a thing.
    You know, the "kid-friendly Funimation dub", while not being completely terrible or anything, had quite a couple of sloppy edits and weird translation choices. There’s really no reason to want to go back to that (and, as MasterKingJC pointed out, Funimation would have no incentive to do so).

Also this opening being dubbed had nothing to do with it being “kid-friendly”. Back in the earlier days of the dub they had made the decision to dub all of the openings and endings even for the uncut DVD releases; dubbed openings weren’t only for the Toonami edits. But then some licensing stuff happened and they aren’t able to do it anymore. So even if they went back to making edited episodes they probably wouldn’t do dubbed openings (or at least not dubs of the original songs).

And "kid-friendly" was really just "broadcast friendly" so far as I know. They just cut out some curse words here and here.

You must be really boring when it comes to entertaining kids. Kids love all that violent and rude stuff. Although you are correct that I used the wrong word. Censor Friendly or Kids TV friendly would be WAY more accurate. And I know we pretty much dont need that anymore thanks to the Netflix deal. My true wish is that One Piece had never been cancelled by Cartoon Network and that it thrived with kids. Adults hate the One Piece anime.

Man, I forgot this past week was the 12th anniversay of Season 1, First Voyage. It kinda crazy to know how far we are into the dub now.

WOW! I didnt know my whiny whining coincided with that date! AWESOME!

The one thing the edited Fuinimation dub did better was translating relevant on-screen text. Wish that was still the standard.

Also, lollipop was a better edit than removing the cigarette entirely. If that edited dub had continued, Funimation would have had to remove a lot of animations of Sanji holding the cigarette up to his mouth.

I beg to disagreee the second at least show they care to make One Piece not utterly childish (I wanted to say ridiculous but that is very much the defining trait of Original One Piece). Although if you told me the dub could continue under the condition of having the lolipop, I would eat it up!

Mind you I am not against the lolipop because its ridiculous or childish, but the alternative is better because it not only shows Funimation cares but also that they care about keeping the feel of the show intact.

I actually wish that 4Kids had been sincere from the beggining and made a dub that truly honored the original. Instead of...you know...lying.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information