+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Voltron: Legendary Defender (new netflix series premiering June 10)

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Default Voltron: Legendary Defender (new netflix series premiering June 10)

Apparently a lot of names that worked on Korra (not the creators though) are on this project.

http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/pos...nners-revealed

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory House
    Right and wrong do exist. Just because you don't know what the right answer is maybe there's even no way you could know what the right answer is doesn't make your answer right or even okay. It's much simpler than that. It's just plain wrong.

Default Re: Voltron: Legendary Defender (new netflix series premiering June 10)

But will all the old voices be returning again like they did for Third Dimension?

...probably not.

Nope. Here's the cast.

http://nerdist.com/voltron-legendary...rks-animation/

• Jeremy Shada (Adventure Time) as Lance
    • Bex Taylor-Klaus (Arrow) as Pidge
    • Josh Keaton (Green Lantern: The Animated Series) as Shiro
    • Tyler Labine (Tucker and Dale vs. Evil) as Hunk
    • Steven Yeun (The Walking Dead) as Keith
    • Kimberly Brooks (Mass Effect) as Princess Allura
    • Rhys Darby (Flight of the Conchords) as Coran
    Right and wrong do exist. Just because you don't know what the right answer is maybe there's even no way you could know what the right answer is doesn't make your answer right or even okay. It's much simpler than that. It's just plain wrong.

...Wait. They're keeping all the old English names.... except Sven who is now Shiro. What the hell.

Oh well, he'll be killed five or six episodes in anyway.

The real question is will the Princess still lose her top when they go swimming?

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

The presence of Joaquim DosSantos immediately assures me this will have some killer storyboarding.

Then again the last Voltron show had some obviously stellar design work that went into it but then ended up with about as shitty animation company you could find.
    Last edited by Conekiller; March 27th, 2016 at 11:16 AM.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    The presence of Joaquim DosSantos immediately assures me this will have some killer storyboarding.

Then again the last Voltron show had some obviously stellar design work that went into it but then ended up with about as shitty animation company you could find.
    What were you expecting given it aired on the same network as Kappa Mikey,Wild Grinders, & that shitty
    Looking Speed Racer reboot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I always liked Voltron as a kid. Though I can't remember all of it ... like forgetting who Sven/Shiro is ... was that who died so that a spot was opened for the princess to join? And I certain don't remember the princess loosing her top. Oh well on that I;m not suprised as it was a American dubbed version I saw so likely they cut that out (least knowing how censors were pre-millinieal here in USA for non-cable TV they would have

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    What were you expecting given it aired on the same network as Kappa Mikey,Wild Grinders, & that shitty
    Looking Speed Racer reboot?
    the same network that brought us Invader Zim, both Avatar shows and new TMNT? Not sure.
    [

the same network that brought us Invader Zim, both Avatar shows and new TMNT? Not sure.
    Mind you those shows were made Nickelodeon and for the most part had an actual animation budget for them.
    All those shows I mentioned were more or less designed for the B channel with D minus level animation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I never saw Voltron Force. How did it stack up against Third DImension?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    And I certain don't remember the princess loosing her top. Oh well on that I;m not suprised as it was a American dubbed version I saw so likely they cut that out (least knowing how censors were pre-millinieal here in USA for non-cable TV they would have
    Nope, it was n the English version.

I never saw Third Dimension.

But Force adds 3 teenagers to the team that randomly interchange with the established team members. They all kinda Wesley Chrusher'd it. They were also able to unlock Torso modes for each of the other lions. Each Color as the core had its own main weapon. IE Blazing Sword was a BlackLion Core exclusive weapon.

Force was designed as a sequel to Third Dimension whereas Defender is going to be a fresh start.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I never saw Voltron Force. How did it stack up against Third DImension?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Nope, it was n the English version.

huh I ... I remember her diving off the lion but don't remember her loosing the top

Force was designed as a sequel to Third Dimension
    That is so bizarre that they'd do three different sequels over the course of decades and still keep the contunity between them. No one in the target audience would care about the old history, presumably.

Part 1- 1984 original 80's toon
    Part 2- 1985 immediate sequel of 20 episodes with Queen Merla made just for the US (Did not air on cartoon network)
    Fleet of Doom- 1986. Crossover with Vehicle Voltron (which no one gives a shit about) made just for the US
    Third Dimension- 1998. Baaaaaaad CGI. But it kept the continuity and most of the voices and aired next to the much better War Planets/Shadow Raiders.
    Force- 2011 I never saw.
    Last edited by Robby; March 28th, 2016 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    That is so bizarre that they'd do three different sequels over the course of decades and still keep the contunity between them. No one in the target audience would care about the old history, presumably.

Part 1- 1984 original 80's toon
    Part 2- 1988 immediate sequel of 20 episodes with Queen Merla made just for the US (Did not air on cartoon network)
    Fleet of Doom- 1986. Crossover with Vehicle Voltron (which no one gives a shit about) made just for the US
    Third Dimension- 1998. Baaaaaaad CGI. But it kept the continuity and most of the voices and aired next to the much better War Planets/Shadow Raiders.
    Force- 2011 I never saw.
    Thanks for the dates :)

Judging by that I'd say that it was one of the early ones I saw as it was in the 1980s, likely pt 1 and not the others that came out in 86 & 88. I don't remember seeing any anime at 16 or 18, but did watch it in early teens.

So this is out. I never saw any previous incarnations of Voltron so I have no reference to compare the show to, but it's 11 episodes with episode 1 being a 1 hour premiere. Hopefully this isn't the last we see of the show either.

A short tease. Wish it was a gif instead of video , be easier to viewhttp://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/amzqeG2_460sv.mp4

tried to get a better image.... If that doesn't work can be seen at 9gag here

Saw the premier episode/pilot. Really solid stuff!

Some cheeky mecha anime references in there too.

Looking forward to plugging away at this show over the next few weeks.
    [

Watched the opening pilot movie.

Not bad. Weird for me having grown up on the old one, I really expected some callbacks like "Form feet and legs... form arms and body... and I'll form the head!" and I also expected them to have at least one of the old voices cameo in some way... but maybe that'll come later. Along with stock reused animation.

Its also weird because its adhering close enough to the old show I know where a loooot of things are likely to go, but different enough that it's different... and also weird being able to name characters the first second they're on screen before they're actually named... even minor villains like Yurak.

It's like the TMNT reboots that come every decade, or the THundercats show a few years back.

Also, Allura is black now. ANd an elf. Weird.

So when does Lotor show up?

Only one complaint, I do wish the instrumental theme to the old show was in there though. That's the one thing that was really missing.

There's an "and I'll form the head" reference in the second episode.

Also, an interesting character revelation at the end of episode 3.
    [

Just got through the third (sixth?) episode.

Yeah, foreknowledge of the old series didn't help on that one.

Still have strong suspicions about two or twelve major other things likely to happen though.

Really missing the old main heroic theme and transformation musics tho.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information