+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Random Fun Facts about Animals

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

Default Re: Random Fun Facts about Animals

Owls are basically flying cats.

There's a similarity in the eyes of certain breeds of owls and domestic cats. And of course both have exceptional night vision in common.

Hidden:

They're both solitary stealth predators.

Given the chance both species will hunt similar kinds of prey.

Some owls even have feathers that look an awful lot like cat ears!

Hidden:

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, they share an aloof charisma.

Hidden:

Last edited by Lucky Dragon; February 22nd, 2017 at 05:42 PM.

If Godzilla had been a dinosaur or some other animal, he would have been killed by just one cannonball. So, I took the characteristics of an atomic bomb and applied them to Godzilla. Ishirō Honda

I will subscribe wholeheartedly to this theory.

Hidden:
    Hidden:

Flying Blue Cat's Return Katzztar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    I will subscribe wholeheartedly to this theory.

Hidden:
    As the AP forums resident flying cat, I agree.

As the resident owl, I can confirm that I often have cat-like tendencies.

I love cats and owls, so the more I think about it, the more it just feels right.
    Hidden:

Are all skunks just super cute and playful or what?

Hidden:

Turtles are basically swimming cats. They hunt similar prey (fish, rodents, birds, bugs), play with their food, and even ask to have their shells scratched (if you have a particularly social turtle).

Are all skunks just super cute and playful or what?

Yeah, skunks just get a bad rap for having an odd secret weapon, they're alot like dogs.

I see your skunk and raise you an otter. How's that for cute and playful? Disclaimer, incoming cuteness, watch at your own discretion.

Hidden:

An otter being playful.

Hidden:

Otters are as badass as they are adorable.

Hidden:

Their natural enemy is the butterfly. No really, it's true. Butterflies are also no friend to turtles either apparently.

Hidden:

If Godzilla had been a dinosaur or some other animal, he would have been killed by just one cannonball. So, I took the characteristics of an atomic bomb and applied them to Godzilla. Ishirō Honda

I knew butterflies were assholes! :O

But thanks for the vids :D I watched all. I mean, the otters' vocalisations and rock playing were adorable, but everyone knew otters were cute. I'm much more pleased to find out that a universally despised creature like the skunk is actually a rather pleasant and endearing animal.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Turtles are basically swimming cats. They hunt similar prey (fish, rodents, birds, bugs), play with their food, and even ask to have their shells scratched (if you have a particularly social turtle).
    Turtles like having their underbellies (plastron) brushed. Mainly because the nerve endings that reach up to under the carapace. Plus it helps them shed old scutes.

.....fine, I admit that I just wanted an excuse to post this cute picture.

「 ゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴ 」

But thanks for the vids :D I watched all. I mean, the otters' vocalisations and rock playing were adorable, but everyone knew otters were cute. I'm much more pleased to find out that a universally despised creature like the skunk is actually a rather pleasant and endearing animal.
    This was my thinking too. But yeah, skunks are curious little goofs who are normally pretty chill because most animals know not to mess with them (aposematic coloring). They only get a bad reputation because dogs and people can stress them out. But they're super cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    This was my thinking too. But yeah, skunks are curious little goofs who are normally pretty chill because most animals know not to mess with them (aposematic coloring). They only get a bad reputation because dogs and people can stress them out. But they're super cute!

:O Eeeek even wild baby skunks act the same way?! So cuuuuute.

They're definitely goofs. Whenever I see one around my house they do run around pretty derpily late at night and I always get a kick out of watching them. They walk around somewhat aimlessly while all the raccoons and rabbits that I see have this set pattern about the way they move.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by le crystal View Post
    Turtles like having their underbellies (plastron) brushed. Mainly because the nerve endings that reach up to under the carapace. Plus it helps them shed old scutes.

.....fine, I admit that I just wanted an excuse to post this cute picture.

http://i.imgur.com/rQrkLlf.jpg
    Is that really what a turtle looks like when it's happy? Or is that the turtle's version of a silent blood-curdling shriek of terror?
    Last edited by Femme; February 24th, 2017 at 11:41 AM.
    Hidden:

Lil cat bebes are basically small cats.

Hidden:

I blame Bambi for making me think skunks are too cute. This video cinched it.

~My Harem, S-Rank~

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    I blame Bambi for making me think skunks are too cute. This video cinched it.

Aaaaaaaaah XD they were all like *sneef sneef* *squeak squeak* *run run*

That's it, skunks are my new favourite thing.
    Hidden:

Dog does not approve. onemoment's Avatar

Finally, I find a use for my creepy knowledge of animal mating habits. Rather, I'm gonna share a link to humon comics, a person who makes cute one page comics about weird animal mating and birth facts. Don't go to her deviant art, ever. Here is an imgur link that is worksafe.

One universal fact I find from these is based on a childhood memory; ever see an old lady on TV say "homosexuality isn't natural cause animals don't do that?" Well that's bunk. The bonobo chimpaneze alone disproves it.

Meanwhile, if you don't want to check that link I'll just share one fact: ants can't have fathers. Queens always give birth to females unless their eggs aren't fertilized, in which case they become males.
    Last edited by onemoment; February 25th, 2017 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoment View Post
    Meanwhile, if you don't want to check that link I'll just share one fact: ants can't have fathers. Queens always give birth to females unless their eggs aren't fertilized, in which case they become males.
    This is actually true of bees and (I think) termites as well. Because scientists have found no true examples of altruism in nature, it's thought that this system of haplodiploidy (one set of chromosomes for male and two for females) helps to increase the genetic relatedness of insects within a colony, thereby giving them greater incentive to help care for young.

Relatedness is actually a really good framework to view evolutionary fitness through. For instance, in many species of squirrels the females will stay closer to home while the males go off looking for a different group of females to mate with. When signaling that a predator is near, it puts the signaller at more risk by drawing more attention to themself while helping everyone else. Female squirrels will almost always signal danger to help out their sisters and family, while males, especially young ones in new territory, will signal danger much less often.

Otters just have this way about them you know? They can really brighten up a day.

How do you feel about weasels? They have a similar overblown negative public image skunks have.

Hidden:

That isn't to say their reputation is totally without merit though.

Hidden:

Mustelids are mostly cute but will also fuck you up. Their jaws are unique: most mammals have their jaw bones kept in place by muscles, but mandibular condyle of mustelids actually snaps into place and functions as a tight hinge, even without anything besides the bone. It gives them a stronger anchor and much more powerful bite force.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information