+ Reply to Thread
Page 161 of 161 FirstFirst ... 61 111 151 159 160 161
Results 3,201 to 3,209 of 3209

Thread: Bleach Discussion █: Soul Society, but not!

Default Re: Bleach Discussion █: Soul Society, but not!

Soul society and the arc that came before it were absolutely amazing, and it may have taken a dip in quality after that but was still enjoyable until the final fight with the fourth espada, after that it went to shit

Soul Society itself is one of my favorite manga arcs of all time, and that will never change, like said above, there's a reason it's one of peoples Gateway anime

I guess I should make it clear that most of my points were solely focused on FT and Hiro Mashima. Not Bleach.

And while there is a lot that can be said about Kubo and his weakness as a writer, he *at least* crafted something at the beginning of Bleach that people (including me) to this day look back with fondness. And you can easily analyze the most basic elements and understand *why* Bleach was popular and why the latter arcs and the state of the series disappointed many. It reached heights and showed incredible potential that was destroyed.

VS a series that started off incredibly unremarkable and only got worst as the series went along with the writer already establishing that he had zero clue and ended up rinse-repeating the arcs. It *never* offer any level of heights or highs or elements that made it *worth* a damn. That's why people are super passive towards it to the point of ignoring the most basic issues that the series had since the very beginning.

And as someone who originally got into the anime/manga medium through Bleach and have watched the anime AND read the manga from the beginning to the end of Aizen multiple times, I can easily say that the beginning of Bleach was one of the best shonen beginning I have ever seen. And it's certainly more impressive and interesting then some of the big shonen hitters right now.

And that's not to say that Bleach manga is the one that made the series like that. The anime elevated the source material and give it depth that Kubo started losing through his drawings. Kubo himself is a great artist but is a poor-mangaka whose approach works better for single-still shot type drawings rather than comic panels that are supposed to convey variety of things. Kubo started focusing on poses and "cool" imagery but ultimately failed to give them weight. The last arc is full of revelations that I was waiting for years including Isshin's and Kenpachi's backstory but felt absolutely nothing when they were actually revealed. No sense of weight behind them whatsoever. And practically every big/huge moment in the final arc is consistently hammered down by the lack of weight. Which is why even Kubo stopped caring and decided to go Oprah "you get a fight" route. No sense or logic or anything. Just explosions, deaths, mindless fighting.

Which is why it's a bit exciting to see how the anime will do it because the anime has always done a better job at conveying what Kubo wanted to but didn't have the ability to do so.
    Last edited by HeartOfDarkness; May 27th, 2020 at 12:24 AM.

I was basing my post more off a Marcotty since that was the last post, though with the last page or so everything became a blur of who said what and being the Bleach thread I did assume almost everything was more about Bleach. Not wanting to derail too much, I think early Fairy Tail had some good moments and while nothing that made it great, it was solid for a good portion with some good emotional moments.

But yeah, the thing that hurts me most about Bleach was that it was the first major manga I got into and when I really started to watch anime outside of some of the big Toonami hits. At one point I liked it the most of the big three, so as it slowly deteriorated it was not something I was fond of and took until the finish of the Fullbringer arc to fully accept what had become of the series.

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

On the flip side of the coin, I first got into anime and then tried watching Bleach and found that as early as the Soul Society arc it became all style and no substance. All those interesting plotlines in the real world where people close to Ichigo started developing powers were dropped, along with the relevance of hollows altogether. And of the subset of characters that survived, all but Ichigo were sidelined hard.

And as I believe I've said before, Kubo set up a rescue/infiltration mission with a bunch of underdogs and ended with Ichigo being the top dog of the soul society, at least until Aizen became the strongest being ever because plot twist.
    Wash your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Matematico View Post
    On the flip side of the coin, I first got into anime and then tried watching Bleach and found that as early as the Soul Society arc it became all style and no substance. All those interesting plotlines in the real world where people close to Ichigo started developing powers were dropped, along with the relevance of hollows altogether. And of the subset of characters that survived, all but Ichigo were sidelined hard.

And as I believe I've said before, Kubo set up a rescue/infiltration mission with a bunch of underdogs and ended with Ichigo being the top dog of the soul society, at least until Aizen became the strongest being ever because plot twist.
    Worst part about that twist is that kubo didn't plan for it at all. It was just something he threw in because he thought it'd be cool. Which really puts things into perspective when you take a look at Aizen's development afterwards.
    Kubology: The blind and unthinking acceptance of whatever Kubo writes.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Matematico View Post

What you said is very true in retrospect. Inconsistencies like Soul Society being sold as paradise by Rukia at the beginning of the story only for it to be revealed that it is mostly a big slum unless you have strength and/or are from a noble family; happened really early.
    Last edited by PatTraverse; May 28th, 2020 at 09:55 PM.

Also how empty it was, despite being the afterlife. I know there's reincarnation, but the Gotei 13 is a company of around 5000 and it's the fucking afterlife. What was that about soul balance? Why does the seireitei look largely desolate?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also, just found this out, but Kubo's follow up series, Burn the Witch, is apparently in the same universe as Bleach. As is things weren't fucked up enough, Kubo of course has to try and incorporate this new thing into Bleach. Does he really think he can do something like the MCU?
    Kubology: The blind and unthinking acceptance of whatever Kubo writes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanegoh View Post
    Also how empty it was, despite being the afterlife. I know there's reincarnation, but the Gotei 13 is a company of around 5000 and it's the fucking afterlife. What was that about soul balance? Why does the seireitei look largely desolate?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also, just found this out, but Kubo's follow up series, Burn the Witch, is apparently in the same universe as Bleach. As is things weren't fucked up enough, Kubo of course has to try and incorporate this new thing into Bleach. Does he really think he can do something like the MCU?
    More like he is just too lazy to create another universe.

You asian people pass through Japanese Feudal ParadiseHell, while european pass through European Feudal ParadiseHell, so I guess americans pass through Meso American ParadiseHell as so forth...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information