Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 220

Thread: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

  1. #41
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    (Anyone remember the ones for Kuma and Doffy? )
    You mean the seven gods of pirate, Tanjahdo Lofulamingo and Bisoromi Bear-sama?

  2. #42
    The Cat has Returned! Katzztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Clark or Clock Dell wasn't from the manga scans that gave us Bisoromi Bear, Tanjihado Loluflamingo, and Masuru D. Chocheh (I think those were German in origin), but from the Hong Kong fansubs that gifted us with things like the pirate crew of Roof, Sauron, Namay, Liar Bu, Sunkist, Joeb, and Nickel Bao.
    opps my bad, I thought they were from the same, thanks for the clarification,

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    You mean the seven gods of pirate, Tanjahdo Lofulamingo and Bisoromi Bear-sama?
    Yes those were the ones I was thinking of.

    Thanks to both for the help in remembering ... you both get to witness me facepalming at my own stupidity/forgetfulness for thinking that Clark Dell was on the same page when the Tanjahdo Lofulamingo and Bisoromi Bear appeared in Marineford, I should have remembered that's impossible for Clark Dell/Crocodile was in ID !! It was Dracule Mihawk that was with them.

    So... was Mihawk as badly mistranslated as "Tanjahdo Lofulamingo and Bisoromi Bear"? If so, what was it????
    Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Well, this thread just took a horrible turn!

    in response to thread derailment in Theories thread here

  3. #43
    Whirlwind of Cabbages Yobiyopi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    So... was Mihawk as badly mistranslated as "Tanjahdo Lofulamingo and Bisoromi Bear"? If so, what was it????
    Surprisingly, they got him right

    Hidden:


    But that didn't stop them to translate Sengoku as the great Zango

    Hidden:

  4. #44

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    We pulled characters that did well in past tournaments, or that were important enough in the actual manga that it felt weird to have them be absent, such as Kuro, Karoobi and Choo, Nojiko, Makino (who has a lot of tourney history of crazy upsets) Pell... SMOKER, Magellan... the extras picked weren't arbitrary.

    The nomination process was allowed to run for a good long while so folks could be sure to get in a character they wanted, after that its about trying to represent as much of the series as possible and making sure some of the bigger potentially overlooked characters still made it in.



    It generally doesn't, that's why we feel okay with pairing up weaker characters. They generally don't fare well on their own, so pairing them up doesn't really change their odds much, but it does allow for more characters to get in and for more varied campaigns. Especially in cases where characters are almost always together and mentioned in one breath anyway, like Jonny and Yosaku. So we're not for instance, ever going to pair up Crocodile, Luffy, Whitebeard, and Enel onto a team.

    Most of them won't get past the first round, but its nice to have them have at least a shot at it.

    And sometimes you end up with magic combos that just work really well, like Don Krieg and Absalom.
    It sounded more like he was saying they wouldnt get past the first round because people dont like pairs more than those characters being initially unpopular.

    Sidenote why is rob lucci the tournament whipping boy?
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:



  5. #45
    The Cat has Returned! Katzztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    It sounded more like he was saying they wouldnt get past the first round because people dont like pairs more than those characters being initially unpopular.

    Sidenote why is rob lucci the tournament whipping boy?
    My guess is that many think he, as a 'big bad of the arc that Luffy has to fight', would have a big following but he seems to beaten quite often by some surprising choices.
    At least that's what I remember ... though I can't remember any details

    That and there are some fans that do not like him and are not shy about stating it. I remember some people complaining that he was over-hyped, emotionless and boring ect
    Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Well, this thread just took a horrible turn!

    in response to thread derailment in Theories thread here

  6. #46

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    As far as threat went at the time, Lucci did quite well. Using various hybrid forms and fighting Luffy on equal footing, he was impressive and for me still has the best fight in the entire manga. Despite not being impressive design wise, I still liked it, especially because the pigeon elevated him somewhat. His blood lust was a bit chilling as well. That said, he didn't leave a mark with personality, especially when you had Crocodile and Enel beforehand, then next you have Moriah.

    As for the actual thread, I don't think I have to think hard for most rounds actually. The question is do I start campaigning for the character I want now, or do I wait until it gets tighter before trying. I feel this character will make it past the first round, but crazy things happen.

  7. #47
    Odyssey, You See MetaMario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Skypiea

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    That and there are some fans that do not like him and are not shy about stating it. I remember some people complaining that he was over-hyped, emotionless and boring ect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    That said, he didn't leave a mark with personality, especially when you had Crocodile and Enel beforehand, then next you have Moriah.
    Pretty much. People love to break out the Bleach comparisons when talking about Enies Lobby and Lucci.
    Last edited by MetaMario; May 15th, 2016 at 11:07 AM. Reason: granted I find him dull too but his fight with luffy was pretty intense

  8. #48

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Pretty much. People love to break out the Bleach comparisons when talking about Enies Lobby and Lucci.
    I wouldn't go that far. Sure, Enies Lobby was a big fight fest which really grinded story bits to a halt after the Robin flashback, but I still had fun with those fights. Really enjoyed Franky having his first fight, we got an idea for how Chopper was going to grow, Sanji had a great fight, despite the weird victory the Kaku fight was fun, and most importantly Sogeking had the sniping moment.

    The only comparison I would make is Soul Society and Hueco Mundo arc with Enies Lobby. Soul Society had other things going on that allowed readers to stay invested over the period and had some pretty good fights. In that aspect I would put it above Enies Lobby. Hueco Mundo was a lot like Enies Lobby in that it was fight after fight with little to no breaks, but Hueco Mundo had very boring fights and there wasn't any stakes involved.

  9. #49

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Lucchi always loses in these things. By a lot.

    I think one year he went up against Crocodile and lost by several hundred votes.

  10. #50

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    In the game of One Piece, it takes more than just power to win a character competition. You need design, personality, quirks, and be super memorable.

  11. #51
    The Old Lapras and the Sea Kubihige's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    TEXAS!

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Can I campaign like Wicca and Wolf are a pair and just ignore that you grouped Wolfy with those other pirates?
    3DS FC: 3969-4669-8685


  12. #52

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Sidenote why is rob lucci the tournament whipping boy?
    http://www.arlongpark.net/poll.php?p...do=showresults
    Complicating things since 2009.

  13. #53

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Finally this has started again!! but ofc I forgot to nominate the mighty pwngoat . But this is the year of the messiah, the return of the world saviour, the mother of trolls, the one and only sexy red nose bastard buggy <333333

  14. #54
    Discovered Stowaway Sparsebeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Québec, Québec

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    We pulled characters that did well in past tournaments, or that were important enough in the actual manga that it felt weird to have them be absent, such as Kuro, Karoobi and Choo, Nojiko, Makino (who has a lot of tourney history of crazy upsets) Pell... SMOKER, Magellan... the extras picked weren't arbitrary.

    The nomination process was allowed to run for a good long while so folks could be sure to get in a character they wanted, after that its about trying to represent as much of the series as possible and making sure some of the bigger potentially overlooked characters still made it in.



    It generally doesn't, that's why we feel okay with pairing up weaker characters. They generally don't fare well on their own, so pairing them up doesn't really change their odds much, but it does allow for more characters to get in and for more varied campaigns. Especially in cases where characters are almost always together and mentioned in one breath anyway, like Jonny and Yosaku. So we're not for instance, ever going to pair up Crocodile, Luffy, Whitebeard, and Enel onto a team.

    Most of them won't get past the first round, but its nice to have them have at least a shot at it.

    And sometimes you end up with magic combos that just work really well, like Don Krieg and Absalom.
    That's an alright philosophy, you got to respect the traditions I guess.

    Although, it does make it so that the only new characters there's a point to nominating are new or very very minor ones don't you agree?

  15. #55

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    The point of nominating to to *ensure* that favorites get in that'll have at least one person supporting. The staff tries to fill in what we feel are important gaps, but there's been literally hundreds of characters cut... and quite a few nominated that we never would have put in on our own or prioritized over another.

    The audience gets their picks first, that takes priority. (And we don't know in advance how many people will nom. It could be 100 people, it could be a full 320.) For instance, I'm probably the only one that cares about Wapol and his minions. if I didn't nominate them, no one else would. He always gets kicked out in the first round but I love him all the same, so...

    And we're doing a different rule in the first round this year quite different than in the past, so that should mix things up quite a bit. We used to weight the roster some by popularity (which actually added months of behind the scenes work), this year its completely random, and there won't be any multivote..

  16. #56
    The Cat has Returned! Katzztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Quote Originally Posted by Porinero View Post
    Finally this has started again!! but ofc I forgot to nominate the mighty pwngoat . But this is the year of the messiah, the return of the world saviour, the mother of trolls, the one and only sexy red nose bastard buggy <333333
    One scene pops into my head when reading that line...

    Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Well, this thread just took a horrible turn!

    in response to thread derailment in Theories thread here

  17. #57

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    If some of the team ups are determined by past performances, why are Cavendish and Farul on a team? Didn't Cabbage compete in the finals last time?

  18. #58
    Discovered Stowaway Sparsebeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Québec, Québec

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    The point of nominating to to *ensure* that favorites get in that'll have at least one person supporting. The staff tries to fill in what we feel are important gaps, but there's been literally hundreds of characters cut... and quite a few nominated that we never would have put in on our own or prioritized over another.

    The audience gets their picks first, that takes priority. (And we don't know in advance how many people will nom. It could be 100 people, it could be a full 320.) For instance, I'm probably the only one that cares about Wapol and his minions. if I didn't nominate them, no one else would. He always gets kicked out in the first round but I love him all the same, so...

    And we're doing a different rule in the first round this year quite different than in the past, so that should mix things up quite a bit. We used to weight the roster some by popularity (which actually added months of behind the scenes work), this year its completely random, and there won't be any multivote..
    Alright then, I'm cool either way and I feel that both ways have arguments for and against but... I'm not the one making all the effort to make this fun tournament possible anyways! So thanks for taking the time to explain your logic, I'm sure I was not the only one with the same train of thoughs so I guess that by anwsering me you answered others too.


    Quote Originally Posted by Porinero View Post
    Finally this has started again!! but ofc I forgot to nominate the mighty pwngoat . But this is the year of the messiah, the return of the world saviour, the mother of trolls, the one and only sexy red nose bastard buggy <333333
    I'm also on the Buggy train but... I also feel that where the story is going, it's way more likely to be the year of the Yonkos...

  19. #59
    My Centibae~♡ Shuhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    An arctic kitchen

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    I'm just thankful Stelly is a strong enough contender to stand on his own.

    My lil Trump ~♡


    Quote Originally Posted by Valiantt
    FUCK YOU and Butterflies

  20. #60
    ∞ Samus Returns ∞ Deviant_Mugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SR-388

    Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuhan View Post
    I'm just thankful Stelly is a strong enough contender to stand on his own.

    My lil Trump ~♡
    Well, that's only because his new wife wasn't nominated, or I would've suggested that they be merged. haha

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts