+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Ramadan/Eid thread

Default Official Ramadan/Eid thread

Didn't see a thread existing in this site, tomorrow is the first day of Ramadan, the hours will be long, so don't over exert yourself guys.
    Ramadan Mubarak.

Default Re: Official Ramadan/Eid thread

Huh....I thought Ramadan was in November?

Ramadan Mubarak to you, friends, and family, too!

Now begins the worrying of overeating/weight gain. There's always just so much good food for break fast time >_<

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Hajj (the pilgrimage to Mecca) is around then, maybe you're thinking of that? :)
    Hidden:

. . . . . . . how do you worry about weight gain during fasting?

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    The food people eat when breaking the fast is astonishing!!! then also the early morning meal.
    "There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail should we fall we will know that we have lived."

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Weight gain is actually super common while fasting. Say you haven't eaten or drunk anything for 17 hours, and the first thing you eat is cake and then heavily oily foods? Also it's easy to take/eat too much after breaking your fast cuz like, your eye is greedy? Lol.

One of the best things about Ramadan is going over to peoples' houses for break fast time and they usually go ALL OUT for that meal, so you're eating super gourmet stuff all month :P

Quote Originally Posted by Muq'ch_H View Post
    The food people eat when breaking the fast is astonishing!!! then also the early morning meal.
    Hum yes, guilty, I tend to make quick stuff like egg sandwiches and then practically anything for suhoor

Then sometimes I get lazy and eat leftovers from last night's dinner for suhoor
    Last edited by Femme; June 6th, 2016 at 01:10 AM.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    Hum yes, guilty, I tend to make quick stuff like egg sandwiches and then practically anything for suhoor Then sometimes I get lazy and eat leftovers from last night's dinner for suhoor
    hahaha.....i normally take milk with bread and a banana for suhoor. After taraweeh I go all out!
    "There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail should we fall we will know that we have lived."

I could never survive a fast. I'd probably end up eating a cookie before the day is done lol. Or something like:

"Okay, fast time.....okay now it starts.....okay, now.....okay, now.....okay, now.....Mom, we're out of Chips Ahoy!"

Hajj (the pilgrimage to Mecca) is around then, maybe you're thinking of that? :)
    Probably :)

Ramadan and other islamic dates are based on the lunar calendar or moon phases. Ramadan is one of the 12 lunar months. There is 10 days difference between lunar and solar (Gregorian) calendars. So each year, the lunar looses 10 days to the solar. Now Ramadan started on June 6th, next year it will start around May 27th and so on. Eventually, it will cycle through all year. Fasting during summer is much more difficult than winter and much longer.

"Okay, fast time.....okay now it starts.....okay, now.....okay, now.....okay, now.....Mom, we're out of Chips Ahoy!"
    Funny. But it's not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokerSan View Post
    Ramadan and other islamic dates are based on the lunar calendar or moon phases. Ramadan is one of the 12 lunar months. There is 10 days difference between lunar and solar (Gregorian) calendars. So each year, the lunar looses 10 days to the solar. Now Ramadan started on June 6th, next year it will start around May 27th and so on. Eventually, it will cycle through all year. Fasting during summer is much more difficult than winter and much longer.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Funny. But it's not that hard.
    Well I've never even considered a fast before. In fact, I'm awful at religious practices like that: back when my family tried to be religious (as a kid I went to a church a couple of times and did CCD), I could never avoid eating meat on Fridays during Lent.

I'd imagine if you did a fast once, you can do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Muq'ch_H View Post
    hahaha.....i normally take milk with bread and a banana for suhoor. After taraweeh I go all out!
    It's best to have a light Iftar, unless you want to have a stitch while praying Taraweeh.

Ramadan Kareem everyone!! Here's hoping to a blessed month and may our sins be forgiven and our prayers answered!! Ameen!
    We Live In An Age Where Men's Dreams Come True!!!!

an even simpler explanation: it's all about the crescent moon. whenever we see it we declare the beginning of the month the next day. it doesn't really have a specific date, it keeps moving up.
    ramadan mubarak friends :)

Quote Originally Posted by LegendarySSJ4 View Post
    It's best to have a light Iftar, unless you want to have a stitch while praying Taraweeh.
    That's why I said after Taraweeh.

Well I've never even considered a fast before. In fact, I'm awful at religious practices like that: back when my family tried to be religious (as a kid I went to a church a couple of times and did CCD), I could never avoid eating meat on Fridays during Lent.

I'd imagine if you did a fast once, you can do it again.
    Yeah. I'm not going to say fasting is easy as pie, because the practice is based around conquering your whims and desires, regaining patience, and refreshing your inner compass of mercy and compassion. Through feeling that hunger and difficultly one could think: "If I can be patient enough to refrain from food and water from sunrise to sunset, then I can stop.. smoking/backbiting/whatever I want to correct about myself."

There's also verses from the Quran/Hadith that specifically mention God rewarding those who endure the long, hard days of fasting. So some days can be difficult, but when you have all the above in your mind plus the fact that you, your family, and your community are all doing it together, it becomes not a big deal at all, if that makes sense o.O
    Hidden:

Thank for the thread
    Unfortunately I cannot fast this year
    Spoiler:

By fire be purged

May we reap the rewards from this blessed month, ameen.

Other reasons why weight gain and/or loss of appetite control happens in Ramadan:

What other time do you find yourself out at night till 12:30am every day for a month and say to yourself, "Hmm.. How about a snack?"

My husband and I just finished Taraweeh prayers at the mosque (it's like a long optional congregational prayer that happens on nights during Ramadan) and went to Tim Hortons, which is pretty much a standard practice for muslims observing Ramadan in Canada

What do you guys do after Taraweeh?
    Hidden:

What do you guys do after Taraweeh?
    Usually take a mini nap or eat some fruits (Papaya, Mango and Watermelon). Since the time between Fajr and the end of Taraweeh is quite close (2-3 hours apart), I tend to just stay at the Mosque and do some dua.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by SkullJoke View Post
    MashaAllah, its good to see so many Muslim brothers/sisters here. Only knew about Outerspec and Femme (although I shouldve figured out Firelord now that i think about it).

Quoted for truth. Hahahaha.

After taraweeh, it's Tims and Survivor. And soon suhur.
    It is indeed good to see some Muslims fasting along with me from this site.

Ramadan Kareem to everyone
    رمضان كريم

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

i didn't know there are a lot of muslims here

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information