+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What did Luffy say?

Default Re: What did Luffy say?

Quote Originally Posted by Hanz View Post
    just watched it's anime counterpart episode 496. same thing happened, he was muted by the sounds of the wave.
    this is definitely something oda wants to get back to later down the line.
    Ah I was super curious about that, thanks for checking on it. More evidence something major is hidden there.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Freecs View Post
    Well, he didn't say he wanted to be pirate king then.
    Why on earth would Oda conceal Luffy saying he wants to be the Pirate King.
    Add on Kylor's really good post and Tenth Strawhat's point that Ace wouldn't react like that... its very simply not talking about being Pirate King.

Well, he didn't say he wanted to be pirate king then.
    It's essentially a synonym. Most people in OP would equate the Pirate King as the biggest, most badass pirate out there.

Luffy has his own reasons and interpretations, but it's not up to the other characters to know that.
    Last edited by King Cannon; June 26th, 2016 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    It's essentially a synonym. Most people in OP would equate the Pirate King as the biggest, most badass pirate out there.
    Well, even if it's a synonym, hmm, well, the title of "pirate king" gives chill to people, so I don't think it's the same.

But well, I guess we have to ask a japanese fella on the forum what is written then.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Why on earth would Oda conceal Luffy saying he wants to be the Pirate King.
    Add on Kylor's really good post and Tenth Strawhat's point that Ace wouldn't react like that... its very simply not talking about being Pirate King.
    Well, I also was very suspicious on this at the time. I had also wondered why this scene was cut.
    So I had searched in the previous chapters if he already said he wanted to be the pirate king, and he didn't.

Then, I just thought that maybe something is hidden there, but that could also be, just for making a nice scene. Luffy's voice being cut by the sound of the waves, it's nice, isn't it? Beautiful moment.

And either way, what could he have said that was so shocking ? Is that something so shocking that the author is craving for us to see ? Is that gonna transcend me when I'll hear it ?
    And he didn't tell his crewmates about his relatives - Ace, Sabo and Garp - but he always told them he wanted to be the pirate king. Why would he hide something ? So, is he hiding a bigger scheme for all this time ? Does he even have the maturity to do so ?

And what did he say to Shanks ? well, it seems he just said this
    http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/1/47
    http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/1/48
    because it's just after that very moment that he decides to give to Luffy his hat.

but yeah, wtf. how could that be the exact some words that Roger once said ? maybe it wasn't the exact same words but just something like "I'm gonna be the best" which is completely random..... or maybe something like "I'll conquer all the seas".

And Ace wanted to make Newgate the next pirate king, so it's like he had a grudge against the pirate king title. And he himself, wanted to be a pirate, if he hated his father that much, he would have been a marine....

As for Kylor's post, well, he still could have said "I want to be the pirate king". But well, I guess, a japanese has to answer this. But still, whatever is written in japanese, Luffy could have just said he wanted to be the pirate king.
    Last edited by Don_Freecs; June 26th, 2016 at 03:33 PM.

It's actually kinda surprising that no one ever noticed that Shanks' line about Luffy repeating Gol D. Roger's words at the time.

Roger should have been already a big deal at the time Shanks joined, with a good enough crew to become Pirate King (plus, Pirate King dream is not unique to Luffy). Luffy's words were most likely something more specific.
    Last edited by King Cannon; June 26th, 2016 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sognatore View Post
    If we ever find out the answer to this, and whoever threw the note at Chopper during Punk Hazard I'll be very relieved…
    That was Law. There was never any mystery to that at all except from people who confused the issue by insisting it must be Monet. (who was obviously secretly sweet and kind and knowingly letting chopper go so she could be the next crewmate.)

Since the very next chapter, a total of like 4 pages later, it was clarified that Law's chains weren't seastone and he had his powers, and the note appeared out of nowhere.

It's NOT a mystery.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

And in the mangareader translation, Ace says " of all the things... you could come out with..."
    http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/585/22

So, it's not like he was very fond of what Luffy said.

"I wanna be a Peace Main!"
    "I wanna be the very best!"
    "I wanna be the D's ____!"

Yeah it's a strange panel. I have a strong feeling it's related to all the D. stuff. That's the only thing to me that could've been bizarre enough to warrant those bewildered reactions.

So, is he hiding a bigger scheme for all this time ? Does he even have the maturity to do so ?
    I wouldn't say he's hiding something (nor has he ever hidden anything), just that whatever it is he's thinking he's never considered relevant enough to say. Its never come up organically. Just like his family stuff.
    My favorite films of all time - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; The Apartment; The Shining; Rear Window; Casablanca; All About Eve; Amadeus; Stalag 17; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence; Key Largo; Ball of Fire; Alien; Dr. Strangelove; The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; Vertigo; Jaws; Punch-Drunk Love

Well, Ace looks surprised and Sabo is laughing, so it could be something that sounds very silly and also ends up doing. They just heard Sabo's secret, so maybe something like "I wanna punch all royalties in the face".

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I was rereading the flashback recently and stumbled over it again surprised.
    So you were rereading the flashback to check how unimportant the King of Goa was and how wrong you were? That's a good step I guess.
    Last edited by evelyne; June 29th, 2016 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    That was Law. There was never any mystery to that at all except from people who confused the issue by insisting it must be Monet. (who was obviously secretly sweet and kind and knowingly letting chopper go so she could be the next crewmate.)

Since the very next chapter, a total of like 4 pages later, it was clarified that Law's chains weren't seastone and he had his powers, and the note appeared out of nowhere.

It's NOT a mystery.
    Yes, I know that's the most reasonable explanation, but it still annoys me that there never was any absolutely clear confirmation of that.

I mean the way the sequence is staged is just really confusing. Sure, the weird look Monet gives when Chopper runs away doesn't help, but that's not even my main problem with the scene – we see Chopper receiving the note, and actually wondering out loud, well in a thought balloon, who threw it and were it came from.

Then in the next chapter we do realize that Law wasn't really wearing seastone chains, and is free to use his powers, but he does so only to explain how he could remove his shackles then. He doesn't mention that he has already used them previously while Vergo and Ceaser were still around to transport the note. Wouldn't they have noticed him using his room to do that, anyway? Or did he already have his chains removed and just threw the note himself. Well in that case the panel in which he appears, exactly before we see the note hit Chopper doesn't really indicate that. Actually it doesn't really indicate him doing anything…

I really don't care about Monet at all, but still thought that scene to be super irritating. Maybe it's totally clear through context and I am an idiot for not getting it, but usually Oda presents things in a way so even idiots get what the hell is going on. Like having one of these flashbacks with grey panel borders where the hero's plan is revealed in retrospective, like he had when he showed how Smoker got his heart back. That wasn't the case here. Chopper wonders who threw the note, so I wonder who threw it. Then we never get a real answer to that aside from context, which doesn't really make that much sense I think.
    So I think it's a bit unfair to blame it entirely on fanboys that the scene caused irritation.

Anyways if Law's speech quirk was used on the note, that makes it a closed case. I just frankly didn't know that and am sorry for even bringing the issue up. Blame it on translation…

But it wasn't confusing at all. It didn't need clearing up. If it was a question that a large number of people were having, Oda would have cleared it up in the SBS by now (three years later).

The note appears with laws signature teleport effect sound. It has his speech quirk in the writing. He explains four pages later he was free to use his powers the whole time and that he had a plan that he obviously didn't want Chopper screwing up.

It's really, REALLY not confusing unless you spend the week between chapters obsessing over it and *inventing* red herrings that Oda didn't actually put in. It's very straightforward.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Then, I just thought that maybe something is hidden there, but that could also be, just for making a nice scene. Luffy's voice being cut by the sound of the waves, it's nice, isn't it? Beautiful moment.
    The waves thing is only in the anime. In the manga there's just one of Oda's scene transition things with the bisected end of a panel, and then it cuts back to Sabo and Ace. Their reaction (Ace mainly) is more dumbfounded and slightly confused than "awe" or whatever way you're attempting to describe here. The effect is more that Luffy said something kind of strange or unexpected, and no not in the "WOW HOW AMBITIOUS" way that just saying he wanted to be Pirate King would create.
    And either way, what could he have said that was so shocking ? Is that something so shocking that the author is craving for us to see ? Is that gonna transcend me when I'll hear it ?
    Something key to Luffy's character that Oda has chosen to not reveal yet. You know...like virtually everything else we've found out about him since leaving Windmill Village.
    And he didn't tell his crewmates about his relatives - Ace, Sabo and Garp - but he always told them he wanted to be the pirate king. Why would he hide something ? So, is he hiding a bigger scheme for all this time ? Does he even have the maturity to do so ?
    Why would he hide Ace or Garp?.....because he didn't hide Ace or Garp.
    Luffy just never said anything, that's how his mind works. He's not someone who thinks about "Why yes, I must fully introduce my heritage and history and innermost secrets". Luffy is someone who doesn't think at all. That's unquestionably how Oda has been characterizing him from the start.
    And Ace wanted to make Newgate the next pirate king, so it's like he had a grudge against the pirate king title. And he himself, wanted to be a pirate, if he hated his father that much, he would have been a marine....
    It's not that he didn't have a specific reaction, anger or whatever, it's that he had no reaction that would fit having a personal relationship to the title at all. He just seemed kind of "Gosh that Luffy, who knows what you're think, I don't get you."

And in the mangareader translation, Ace says " of all the things... you could come out with..."
    http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/585/22

So, it's not like he was very fond of what Luffy said.
    This expects us to choose Mangareader over Viz. Which is not a good choice lol.

Quote Originally Posted by evelyne View Post
    So you were rereading the flashback to check how unimportant the King of Goa was and how wrong you were? That's a good step I guess.
    lmao at how you tried to stick this to me only to have everyone deny you it
    I'm sure Dragon's past in Goa somehow doesn't involve the monarchy and nobility at all. I bet it's Bluejam, let's bet on that again.

So I guess someone's gotta ask him the magic question "what do you want, let's yell it" and then he will tell ?

But yeah, King Canon has a point. It wouldn't make sense for Roger saying what Luffy said to Shanks at chapter 1. And maybe it's not "I'm gonna be the pirate king", even though Luffy seems to be the only kid to say that... Did any other characters said that ?
    But anyway, Roger couldn't have said he wanted to be pirate king, because there was no such things back in his time.

And Luffy's probably gonna be bigger than pirate king. He'll fight against the WG and rule the world

That's quite an interesting point. I always found that scene to be strange with the cut-off and the reaction but i shrugged it off as Luffy simply stating his catch-phrase, and never really looked to deep into it. However thinking about it, i do think there is something very fishy about that scene especially since the anime does the same as the manga.

On side a note; what do you mean when you say that Luffy is really mysterious? Is it his overall personality and character or his history?

Quote Originally Posted by Kylor View Post
    Huh. When I first read the chapter, I took the omission as a sort of gag thing, like it was Oda saying, "you all already know what Luffy says here, so I'll just skip to the reactions." But looking back at the chapter (link in the OP didn't show up for me so I used the Viz translation, no idea what the others say) Luffy says, "I WANT to be..." Want. Now, while Luffy's regular catchphrase is "I'm GONNA be king of the pirates," or the other variation that comes up sometimes, "I'm the man who WILL BECOME king of the pirates," it's possible that the version in this chapter is just what he said as a kid and he changed it later to be more definitive... but still, if he's just talking about being king of the pirates, I do believe this is the first time he's ever left any room for error. So yeah, it's highly likely that he's talking about something else here. No idea what it is, but it could be something more vague or abstract than what we've normally seen from him. I'll have to think more on this later, but it's pretty clear that Oda put that difference in there for a reason.

Any translators here wanna talk about the wording? Guys? Anyone?

EDIT: Just checked volume one, Luffy was saying "I'm gonna be king of the pirates" ever since the first chapter, which takes place before this one. So it's even more likely that what he wants to be is something else .
    If I remember well, in japanese he says "ore wa na...", which means something like "Then, I..."

I have been wondering about what Luffy says there, and I think he'll say "I wanna be the most free man in the world".

Saying "I'm gonna be the most free man in the world" doesn't really seem like something that would surprise Ace and Sabo that much. Same for "I'm gonna become Pirate King" as the three of them were planning to become legendary pirates anyway.

Going by their reactions, it must be something quite outrageous. Maybe even fantastical (to OP standards).

Quote Originally Posted by imperioonepiece View Post
    If I remember well, in japanese he says "ore wa na...", which means something like "Then, I..."

I have been wondering about what Luffy says there, and I think he'll say "I wanna be the most free man in the world".
    Thanks a lot for answering! If I'm not mistaken, isn't Luffy's regular catchphrase, in Japanese, "kaizoku-ou ni ore wa naru" (i.e, the words "pirate king" come first)? If so, then I think we can basically confirm that Oda intentionally wrote the line in such a way as to draw attention to the fact that the King of the Pirates isn't being mentioned here. That's really helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by imperioonepiece View Post
    Which is another thing already revealed to the reader by that point (in Saobody). Making it yet another thing that makes no sense to hide from us.

For Luffy with Ace and Sabo, maybe a mix of I am going to sail everywhere with my friends and be free. Or maybe something to do with the Voud century. I actually don't have a clue.

For Roger, something like: with the strongest crew I've gathered, I will become the most notorious pirate and find the hidden treasure of the world and the world shall know my name. He says this before starting his second journey. If Roger said something like this, then Luffy dod say something similar but using the words pirate king

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    It's actually kinda surprising that no one ever noticed that Shanks' line about Luffy repeating Gol D. Roger's words at the time.

Roger should have been already a big deal at the time Shanks joined, with a good enough crew to become Pirate King (plus, Pirate King dream is not unique to Luffy). Luffy's words were most likely something more specific.
    Jajalulu, I actually mentioned it on the first page, and I brought it up a couple of weeks ago in the questions thread. Good thinking on Monkey King to open a thread with other weird instances of Luffy's speech/dialogue. Also as much as I am laughing as I say this: how can the King of Goa not be important, now that we know Stelly has the crown.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information