+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

h-hello? are we still doing this? *voice echoes into oblivion*

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Sorry for the delay in updating. Chapters 838 and 839 have both been added. For the time being, I started a new volume tab (Volume 84) and put both of them there, since Volume 83 reached 10 chapters; however, if it's later confirmed that 83 has more than 10, I will of course move the chapters to their proper tabs.

Wow! That's a very interesting thread. Thanks a lot for doing this ^^
    This new era those guys talk about is total bullshit. An era when pirate dreams are ending?!!! Huh? Well?! ZEHAHAHAHAHA.....
    PEOPLE'S DREAMS..... NEVER END!!!!
    Ain't that right?!!!

Sure, no problem! ^_^

Updated the original post with the new chapter. Also, in light of Captain M's note in the Volume 83 thread about it likely containing 11 chapters, I've moved Chapter 838 ("Chobro") to the Volume 83 group.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

One small question. What does Viz call Big Mom's top three: Sweet Commanders or Sweet Generals? As I think I've seen them use both.

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    One small question. What does Viz call Big Mom's top three: Sweet Commanders or Sweet Generals? As I think I've seen them use both.
    Pretty sure its just Generals. I did a speed read of the Cracker scenes and it's all I saw in relevant title boxes and dialogue.

Sorry for the delay in updating; I was having some computer troubles for the beginning of last week, and didn't end up getting around to updating or answering questions. I've updated the original post with both 843 and 844.

I'll answer questions I got from 843 that I didn't get to answer thanks to aforementioned computer troubles in here instead. The questions and answers are also included in the original post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Is the japanese ambiguous with who he mentions driving off?
    Mmm, not really, it's still pretty clear he's talking about driving off Luffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahaka. View Post
    Thanks, but could you write the whole translation for the Sanji's speech? There are some theories flying around based on his choice of words, so it would help a lot :)
    Sure. He says:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinsmoke Sanji
    "Get lost, you miserable, inferior pirates! My name is Vinsmoke Sanji. And I am a prince of the Germa Kingdom! Forgive me for hiding this from you! If I had told you, it would only have made you self-concious. The difference in status between us is obvious. Here I have all the money, soldiers, and servants I can use! If my choice is between returning to you and your chuckleheaded crewmates, and living in luxury here with Big Mom's beautiful daughter as my wife, which do you think will make me happier? There's no comparison! Stop taking that letter seriously! I'm not going back! I'm amazed you actually came all this way. Poor sap... Just go...whatever your name is."
    Again, sorry for the delays on these!

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

thanks for all the effort, Bellisario!

Let the Pun fit the Crime Skadi's Avatar

There is a panel on chapter 379 that is messy on the VIZ volume.

When Fukuro is telling Lucci´s team that Jyabura is pissed because his girlfriend dumped him (also speaking of which some translations say she was his girlfriend and dumped him, while others say he had a crush on her and she rejected him)???

SCANLATION

VIZ

They just arrived, how come Blueno assumes that?? They´ve been away for +5 years too

The new Pirate King Downloading's Avatar

EDIT: nvm... :)

16 chars...
    Last edited by Downloading; November 1st, 2016 at 05:23 AM. Reason: mods, delete this post

Quote Originally Posted by Skadi View Post
    There is a panel on chapter 379 that is messy on the VIZ volume.

When Fukuro is telling Lucci´s team that Jyabura is pissed because his girlfriend dumped him

SCANLATION
    http://i.imgur.com/Z4nOym4.png

VIZ
    http://i.imgur.com/ZfNBtc7.png
    They just arrived, how come Blueno assumes that?? They´ve been away for +5 years too
    Judging from raw volume, Viz translation above the red underline is incorrect.
    In raw, Blueno says "それでか", meaning he is *convinced* to hear from Fukurou that Jabura is in a bad mood due to heartbreak.

If stephen had been responsible for Viz translation at that time, I'm pretty sure that he would not have made such an easy mistake.
    Last edited by sandman; October 31st, 2016 at 10:52 PM.

Let the Pun fit the Crime Skadi's Avatar

Around what time did Stephen start doing the VIZ translations for OP?

According to the One Piece Podcast crew page he's done it since early 2012, around late Fishman Island I believe

Spoiler:

Since volume 64 respectively with the start of english Weekly Shonen Jump, chapter 647. That was at the beginning of 2012, the end of 2011

In raw chapter, right before Nami slapped Sanji, she calls him just "Sanji" despite her having always been calling him "Sanji-kun" for a long time.
    "Kun" is a Japanese suffix basically used by males or females when addressing a male whom they are emotionally attached to or have known for a long time.

In chapter 845, she calls him "Sanji-kun" again. It seems Nami's rage/disappointment toward Sanji is decreasing a bit now.
    Last edited by sandman; November 9th, 2016 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    In raw chapter, right before Nami slapped Sanji, she calls him just "Sanji" despite her having always been calling him "Sanji-kun" for a long time.
    "Kun" is a Japanese suffix basically used by males or females when addressing a male whom they are emotionally attached to or have known for a long time.

In chapter 845, she calls him "Sanji-kun" again. It seems Nami's rage/disappointment toward Sanji is decreasing a bit now.
    technically,it's the opposite,at least as far as i know

-kun is used between people that consider themelves on equal ground..basically you would use that when talking to a co-worker,or a fellow student, or a simple friend
    using only the name and nothing else indicates extreme "closeness" between 2 people, that's what is used between two really close friends for example.
    nami calls all the other members of the crew by just using their names, indicating how close they are as a group, but she still uses the -kun with sanji because of how clingy he is..she is trying to (ideally) keep a distance between them

Maju, you might not want to "correct" a native Japanese speaker when you are not one yourself. Sandman is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Maju, you might not want to "correct" a native Japanese speaker when you are not one yourself. Sandman is correct.
    no idea he is a japanese speaker,but i always heard that that was the truth..also,nami does call the rest of the strawhats just by their name doesn't she?
    does that means she actually feels closer to sanji than to the others? she sure doesn't act like it

Quote Originally Posted by Maju View Post
    no idea he is a japanese speaker,but i always heard that that was the truth..also,nami does call the rest of the strawhats just by their name doesn't she?
    does that means she actually feels closer to sanji than to the others? she sure doesn't act like it
    Not a native speaker but I'm assuming Nami adds kun because Sanji refers to her as Nami-swan. I always figured Nami was just being cute to Sanji to fuel his ego :p
    Actually has someone ever asked Oda this in Sbs?
    Successful negro doesn't need a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Maju View Post
    nami calls all the other members of the crew by just using their names, indicating how close they are as a group
    I agree, but calling someone just by his name doesn't always mean better closeness than calling him -kun.
    using only the name and nothing else indicates extreme "closeness" between 2 people
    It sometimes indicates "closeness", but in some cases, it is considered rude. Nami calling Sanji just by his name without -kun in the previous chapter, which we've rarely seen before, clearly shows how angry she was.
    no idea he is a japanese speaker,
    As stephen mentioned, I'm a native Japanese speaker who have lived in Japan for more than 30 years :)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information