+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    I agree, but calling someone just by his name doesn't always mean better closeness than calling him -kun.It sometimes indicates "closeness", but in some cases, it is considered rude. Nami calling Sanji just by his name without -kun in the previous chapter, which we've rarely seen before, clearly shows how angry she was.As stephen mentioned, I'm a native Japanese speaker who have lived in Japan for more than 30 years :)
    had no idea you are japanese and had not considered the fact that she could have just been rude on purpose,it makes sense.
    japanese sure it's complicated :P

Quote Originally Posted by Maju View Post
    had no idea you are japanese and had not considered the fact that she could have just been rude on purpose,it makes sense.
    japanese sure it's complicated :P
    i think it's more the fact that she changed how she usually called him suddenly,more than the fact that she didn't use kun.
    like,if you have a friend and you always call him by some nickname or such,and then suddenly start addressing him by his full name just cause you are angry with him.
    as sandman says,it just depends on situations.from my limited knowledge from anime(which is most likely not 100% correct),kun seems like something girls usually attach to boys around their age.
    but anyway,the main point i take from that is the change in addressing
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

Mythically Inept Inventor dan2026's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sggupta View Post
    i think it's more the fact that she changed how she usually called him suddenly,more than the fact that she didn't use kun.
    like,if you have a friend and you always call him by some nickname or such,and then suddenly start addressing him by his full name just cause you are angry with him.
    as sandman says,it just depends on situations.from my limited knowledge from anime(which is most likely not 100% correct),kun seems like something girls usually attach to boys around their age.
    but anyway,the main point i take from that is the change in addressing
    I'd say its more that she always used -kun as a sign of respect for Sanji.
    Dropping the honorific indicates she has lost respect for him.

I'm sure when this is all done and dusted Sanji will get his -kun back.

Wano? Wa-yes! Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Quote Originally Posted by dan2026 View Post
    I'm sure when this is all done and dusted Sanji will get his -kun back.
    Nami started using it again in the most recent chapter, actually.

Spoiler:

I'd say its more that she always used -kun as a sign of respect for Sanji.
    Dropping the honorific indicates she has lost respect for him.
    so that means she doesn't respect luffy,usopp and anyone else?
    so i'd again disagree.using kun can indicate a sort of closeness,or/and be her unique way of addressing him.so her dropping it indicates as calling him more formally,and generally being passive aggressive and angry towards him.
    personally imo,she always calls him sanji-kun because he is always lovey dovey with her,so this is her way of dealing with him by basically addressing him how a female typically addresses males around her age,and it just sort of continued but that's just my personal interpretation and understanding of it
    and yeah of course when she is not angry with him,she will revert back to the kun
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

Let the Pun fit the Crime Skadi's Avatar

Is viz translating Charlotte Amando as AmandE??? I dont get it, her name ends with "do" アマンド

Also Im 120% sure its supossed to be read as Almond

Quote Originally Posted by Skadi View Post
    Is viz translating Charlotte Amando as AmandE??? I dont get it, her name ends with "do" アマンド

Also Im 120% sure its supossed to be read as Almond
    In terms of English speak, the word is pronounced Amand. The "o" is just there because of how katakana is written. Amande (with a silent e) is the French word for Almond; English almond is アーモンド Āmando with a macron over the A

Spoiler:

So I looked at the latest chapter and saw Viz had written 'poneglyph' as 'ponegliff'.
    Is this right? It doesn't seem right. I am not familiar with Viz's translations but I don't think I have ever seen it Romanised like that before.

Surely the English word 'glyph' was intended.

So I looked at the latest chapter and saw Viz had written 'poneglyph' as 'ponegliff'.
    Is this right? It doesn't seem right. I am not familiar with Viz's translations but I don't think I have ever seen it Romanised like that before.

Viz uses Ponegliff.

Spoiler:

IT is totally irrellevant if it is written ponegliff or poneglyph. It is more important to point out that scanlations and viz are only translating the reading, respectively the Furigana and not the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyagent View Post
    IT is totally irrellevant if it is written ponegliff or poneglyph. It is more important to point out that scanlations and viz are only translating the reading, respectively the Furigana and not the whole thing.
    It's not so irrilevant if you think that the words written in katakana are often meant to indicate a specific word in another language, Oda with ポーネグリフ clearly was referring to that word (in english glyph) present in many languages and that comes from the greek word γλύφω which means a symbol in a whole set of symbols (like hieroglyphics), and this is how it is meant to be transliterated, any other version in incorrect. We can further speculate that since it comes from greek, the "Pone" may be referred to the greek adjective πονηροσ=Evil or the word πονηρο=Devil, it would fits well for the Poneglyphs to be "texts of the devil" (the devils of Ohara) that hold evil secrets to destroy the world.
    This new era those guys talk about is total bullshit. An era when pirate dreams are ending?!!! Huh? Well?! ZEHAHAHAHAHA.....
    PEOPLE'S DREAMS..... NEVER END!!!!
    Ain't that right?!!!

That word was established way back in Alabasta so it was made under a different translator.

Well, along with the Zolo thing they can write 'ponegliff' and whatnot.

I agree that 'poneglyph' reads better than 'ponegliff', but really, the words are phonetically identical. Three different letters (plus a fourth in Zolo) certainly don't spoil my reading experience.

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

I had forgotten that Viz went with "Real" ponegliff, instead of "Rio". Had to go back to my old volumes to see the last time they were even mentioned (found it in volume 24)

It was in volume 32 as well!

Out of curiosity when I saw the use of 'Real Ponegliff' this week I went and looked up what I could find about the name Rio Poneglyph translation wise, mostly using the wiki and google translate cos they're all I have.
    The raws say 真の歴史の本文(リオ・ポーネグリフ, which literally translates to 'The Text of True History (Rio Poneglyph). Meaning, I think, that it's written as 'text of true history,' but if you were to read it aloud you would just say "Rio Poneglyph."

My understanding is that the translator who devised 'Real Ponegliff' was trying to catch the brevity of 'Rio Ponegliff' without losing the 'true history' meaning. Since we know that Ponegliffs in-universe are historical documents, calling the set that read together as a single text telling the truest and most secret history of the world the 'Real Ponegliff' makes a lot of sense. Real also very phonetically similar to Rio, so that works nicely as well.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Yo I'm just gonna note like I always do when I post anything with Japanese in it, I don't speak the language, I'm just interpreting and making educated guesses based on the info I have, and I'm always open to being corrected by someone who actually speaks it if I'm off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Faust View Post
    It's not so irrilevant if you think that the words written in katakana are often meant to indicate a specific word in another language, Oda with ポーネグリフ clearly was referring to that word (in english glyph) present in many languages and that comes from the greek word γλύφω which means a symbol in a whole set of symbols (like hieroglyphics), and this is how it is meant to be transliterated, any other version in incorrect. We can further speculate that since it comes from greek, the "Pone" may be referred to the greek adjective πονηροσ=Evil or the word πονηρο=Devil, it would fits well for the Poneglyphs to be "texts of the devil" (the devils of Ohara) that hold evil secrets to destroy the world.
    LEt me say this: I had ancient greek in school, about 5 years and I can say for sure that this etymology is not the the whole story. "Pone" derives first of all from "ponein/poneo" what means "to work", "To achieve something through hard word". It is true that "poneros" derives from "poneo/ponein" and means evil but only in the second meaning - first meaning is "cumbersome" (it derives from ponein). And I read Pone and not poner in Poneglyph

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik Dynomite View Post
    I had forgotten that Viz went with "Real" ponegliff, instead of "Rio". Had to go back to my old volumes to see the last time they were even mentioned (found it in volume 24)
    Given what Rio Poneglyph actually means (according to what is written below the Furigana) "Real" Poneglyph depicts the true meaning very accurate

Quote Originally Posted by shadyagent View Post
    LEt me say this: I had ancient greek in school, about 5 years and I can say for sure that this etymology is not the the whole story. "Pone" derives first of all from "ponein/poneo" what means "to work", "To achieve something through hard word". It is true that "poneros" derives from "poneo/ponein" and means evil but only in the second meaning - first meaning is "cumbersome" (it derives from ponein). And I read Pone and not poner in Poneglyph
    Well, as i said i was just speculating, of course there are so many possibilities for what Pone could mean, "evil" and "devil" seem particularly appropriate to me, but thanks anyway for your research. My point was anyway that it's not irrilevant at all how a word in katakana is transliterated in another alphabet when that word is meant to indicate a word in another language, "Ponegliff" is just plain wrong because Oda with グリフ meant the word glyph. I'm not a translator, but i think it's quite obvious that understanding the derivation of a katakana word and transliterating it according to the language it was referring is a translator's duty, and when a translator fails to do that it's a plain mistake by him/her. Viz switching to Ponelgyph is indeed an improvement.

P.S. I had ancient Greek and Latin too for all the 5 years of high school.
    Last edited by Dr. Faust; November 22nd, 2016 at 03:21 AM.
    This new era those guys talk about is total bullshit. An era when pirate dreams are ending?!!! Huh? Well?! ZEHAHAHAHAHA.....
    PEOPLE'S DREAMS..... NEVER END!!!!
    Ain't that right?!!!

I just find it odd the they went with 'gliff' over 'glyph'.
    Really odd. I wonder what the translator was thinking.

I don't think I have ever seen any fans ever refer to it as a 'ponegliff'.
    Even if it sounds the same it just looks wrong.

I just find it odd the they went with 'gliff' over 'glyph'.
    Really odd. I wonder what the translator was thinking.

I don't think I have ever seen any fans ever refer to it as a 'ponegliff'.
    Even if it sounds the same it just looks wrong.
    It's on Zolo levels with how much it annoys me every time I see it as gliff rather than glyph. I'm wondering if Stephen has to use it because its like Zolo and they don't want to change it because it might confuse fans.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information