+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Faust View Post
    Well, as i said i was just speculating, of course there are so many possibilities for what Pone could mean, "evil" and "devil" seem particularly appropriate to me, but thanks anyway for your research. My point was anyway that it's not irrilevant at all how a word in katakana is transliterated in another alphabet when that word is meant to indicate a word in another language, "Ponegliff" is just plain wrong because Oda with グリフ meant the word glyph. I'm not a translator, but i think it's quite obvious that understanding the derivation of a katakana word and transliterating it according to the language it was referring is a translator's duty, and when a translator fails to do that it's a plain mistake by him/her. Viz switching to Ponelgyph is indeed an improvement.

P.S. I had ancient Greek and Latin too for all the 5 years of high school.
    There is a difference between "transcription" and "translation". From that point of view it is not a mistake as far as I can tell. However I don't get that kind of transcription at all and won't argue that "glyph" looks better than "gliff". I just wanted to point out that in this particular case you should rather complain why no scanlation group and also not viz never pointed out that the reading poneglyph is not the actually meaning of the term. The same goes for the term "One Piece" that is often written differently in some chapters. It is just funny when people complaining about such small "mistakes" but do not point towards the important things that are missing in the translation.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyagent View Post
    There is a difference between "transcription" and "translation". From that point of view it is not a mistake as far as I can tell. However I don't get that kind of transcription at all and won't argue that "glyph" looks better than "gliff".
    Maybe you meant "transliteration" (conversion of a text from one script to another) which is the word i used, instead of "transcription". And to me, IT IS a mistake, not because glyph looks better, but because it's super astronomically obvious that Oda meant the word glyph in that word. The act of transliterating something in another language isn't done just by following the rules, other factors are to be taken into account, of course Ponegliff is just one of the many transliterations, but it is wrong because it's not what the author meant.

I just wanted to point out that in this particular case you should rather complain why no scanlation group and also not viz never pointed out that the reading poneglyph is not the actually meaning of the term. The same goes for the term "One Piece" that is often written differently in some chapters. It is just funny when people complaining about such small "mistakes" but do not point towards the important things that are missing in the translation.
    A lot of non japanese people know that in One Piece there are Kanji and Furigana and thus some terms can have more than one meaning, and some times even secret meanings. No one complain about it because everyone know that the official releases are pointed to the average reader, which, sadly, more often than not does not give a shit about the japanese different meanings of the words, and thus the translators will never put asterisks with notes between panels to explain all the different meanings. But omitting the other possible meanings and actually mistransliterating something written in a phonetic alphabet such as katakana are of 2 different orders of mistakes, if the former can be, with resignation, forgiven by the most dedicate fan, the latter is just a plain gross and extremely dumb obscenity. How can a translator, which should be a person well verserd in both language, not recognize the word glyph? Or not even bother to check if the name ティーチ is related to the real pirate Blackbeard Edward Teach, and instead transliterating it with Teech, Jesus fucking christ that was the worst mistake the old translator did. It's completely unforgivable.

Maybe you meant "transliteration" (conversion of a text from one script to another) which is the word i used, instead of "transcription". And to me, IT IS a mistake, not because glyph looks better, but because it's super astronomically obvious that Oda meant the word glyph in that word. The act of transliterating something in another language isn't done just by following the rules, other factors are to be taken into account, of course Ponegliff is just one of the many transliterations, but it is wrong because it's not what the author meant.

A lot of non japanese people know that in One Piece there are Kanji and Furigana and thus some terms can have more than one meaning, and some times even secret meanings. No one complain about it because everyone know that the official releases are pointed to the average reader, which, sadly, more often than not does not give a shit about the japanese different meanings of the words, and thus the translators will never put asterisks with notes between panels to explain all the different meanings. But omitting the other possible meanings and actually mistransliterating something written in a phonetic alphabet such as katakana are of 2 different orders of mistakes, if the former can be, with resignation, forgiven by the most dedicate fan, the latter is just a plain gross and extremely dumb obscenity. How can a translator, which should be a person well verserd in both language, not recognize the word glyph? Or not even bother to check if the name ティーチ is related to the real pirate Blackbeard Edward Teach, and instead transliterating it with Teech, Jesus fucking christ that was the worst mistake the old translator did. It's completely unforgivable.
    Then please tell that viz for christ sakes. I asked around in the past for collecting mistakes that should be fixed but when it comes to acutal movement most people here give a fuck about it. Everyone prefers to complain about the official release but only very few people do something about it to get a change. If more people would write to viz we could actually get improvements. I m literally figthing for a year to get viz to release SJ in high quality

Then please tell that viz for christ sakes. I asked around in the past for collecting mistakes that should be fixed but when it comes to acutal movement most people here give a fuck about it. Everyone prefers to complain about the official release but only very few people do something about it to get a change. If more people would write to viz we could actually get improvements. I m literally figthing for a year to get viz to release SJ in high quality
    I don't think things like Zolo or Teech will ever be fixed at this point, maybe some words of smaller importance will, but not the words of major importance.
    If you look for a good translation the most you can do is reading all the independent translations around made directly from japanese and confronting them, you can figure out a lot of things if you do this for every chapter. Actually the only japanese --> english translators i know of are mangastream's, Stephen for Viz who is thousand times better than the old translator, and cnet128.

Again and again it's about consistency. I can't think of a single scanlation that feels like an actual product, with consistent usage of names and terms through the whole work. They're not going to change the names of major characters and concepts (or in the case of Teech and Ponegliff the spelling of the names of major characters and concepts) eighty books in, and it would be super jarring if they did. And you can harp on all you like about how they could update all the digital volumes at once, but that wouldn't leave people with a full set of physical books in a very nice place. Logistically, I just don't think a name change could happen at this point.

And like, let's look at Teach/Teech(/chocheh) in the context of Shiliew/Shiryu. In spite of the spelling, both read phonetically similarly, just switching the L and R sounds, and both seem equally likely ways to romanize the original text, based on the text alone. But Shiryu being an actual given name used by at least one historical swordsman (and I believe used by one real chinese pirate in Japan, but I can't find the place where I read this anymore, so take it with a grain of salt) was the obvious choice. This wasn't just Viz, most scanlations used this translation initially as well. Then the romanization 'Shiliew' appeared in the comic, not really meaning anything special. And there was, of course, backlash. "Viz got it wrong! Why not just change it to the right one?" It was another reason not to support the official release. Over a bit of spelling and an L and R switch. Even though Shiryu is the form that shows research and invokes actual historical figures. Teech and Teach read the same. It's a one letter difference and because it's phonetically the same damn word, you're not going to miss the connection to real Blackbeard over that one letter.

You won't find many people making a case for Teech over Teach, but you could make one for Shiryu over Shilew. Whether to follow what would be a real name with some background to look into, or follow the romanization which was used officially in the comic, but doesn't seem to mean anything. How do you make a call for which fans you cater your release to in a case like that? Romanization and spelling aren't the end of the world, even if don't agree with what's used.

Do I personally prefer Teach as a spelling? Yeah. If I was writing an English version of One Piece is it what I'd go with? Hell yeah. Is my day ruined because someone wrote Teech? Hell no.

I don't agree with every choice Viz's translators have made over the years, but with translation being an interpretive thing, there's no way they could ever adhere entirely to everyone's preferences in areas like name spellings, translation of attack names, tone of dialogue, explaining double meanings in footnotes VS rewriting the line in a way that echoes as many possible readings of the original as possible. You can't please everyone with these things. The official release isn't perfect, nor is it immune to criticism, but it gets a far worse rep online than it deserves. Nothing they've done deserves to be called "unforgivable," it just drives people off the release, even though it's easily the most readable and consistent version available.

We're all filthy pirates on this forum, but we shouldn't be discouraging the use of official releases.

Differences in spelling to your preferred reading that are phonetically identical or near-identical aren't the end of the world. These differences aren't so bad, and it would be more jarring to have them change after 80 volumes than it is to keep using them. If the series is ever re-released from scratch (maybe as a colour version if we're really lucky) that would be the time to rally for an update to names and terms.

Mythically Inept Inventor dan2026's Avatar

Viz's translation of One Piece isn't 'unforgivable' that is absurd hyperbole.
    Its just seems to be a bit of a mess. Especially the more you look into it.

Even if you ignore the big reoccurring mistakes like 'Zolo' and 'Teech', there seem to be a ton of others that are just bizarre like calling Chopper's moves 'boosts' instead of 'points'.
    Where they got the word 'boost' from I don't know. Its literally written ポイント(pointo)

While I can forgive random scanlators on the internet for making mistakes, I feel Viz should be held to a higher standard with their translation, they are selling it after all.

But its not exactly the end of the world. Just a bit disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by dan2026 View Post
    Viz's translation of One Piece isn't 'unforgivable' that is absurd hyperbole.
    Its just seems to be a bit of a mess. Especially the more you look into it.

Even if you ignore the big reoccurring mistakes like 'Zolo' and 'Teech', there seem to be a ton of others that are just bizarre like calling Chopper's moves 'boosts' instead of 'points'.
    Where they got the word 'boost' from I don't know. Its literally written ポイント(pointo)

While I can forgive random scanlators on the internet for making mistakes, I feel Viz should be held to a higher standard with their translation, they are selling it after all.

But its not exactly the end of the world. Just a bit disappointing.
    The problem is that those translations all came from a time when 4kids was the main inspiration for translations, and most of their staff couldn't translate garbage.

Even their old translators didn't have a strong grasp on the characters at all. I think in one interview even, one of the older translators said that Luffy is a hero, so that's why he would never curse. That sentence alone gives you an idea of the quality of translation previously.

For the most part the great translations didn't come until late Fishman Island, when Stephen took over. Just listen to the One Piece Podcast and you will see just how in tune he is with One Piece (it helps that he once did scanlations once upon a time, so he comes from our ilk).

The problem is, that there are over 60 volumes of spotty translations before then, so that's what most people will see.

In this case I feel like I can provide an educated guess. What I've noticed from doing re-translation/revision of older published manga in English (like Ghost in the Shell, Akira) or matching consistency of the same (like with One Piece) is that when you go back to ten or more years ago, there's a very strong pattern during the adaptation stage that anything that might not make clear text sense or leave any readers scratching their heads is very likely to be adapted to something that is easier to understand. Hell, when I studied the Dark Horse/Marvel releases of GITS/Akira, they would even remove many SFX that were originally in Japanese and just never replace them with English ones because the specific SFX were very "Japanese" ones (silent sounds, conceptual effects) that an American comic book would never use.

With the case of Chopper's point/boost, of course they understood he was saying "point"; it wasn't a literal mistake where they thought he meant "boost." But most likely they looked at it and wondered "What does he even mean by point? If the whole idea is that Chopper is selectively powering-up/accentuating a specific body part, maybe boost will hit home with the readers more." And if that decision came down from 4Kids it's even easier to rationale, since the stakes/necessity for the audience to understand and accept everything they're hearing is even higher in a dubbed show airing on TV. Ultimately, the fine details on minor creative aspects like that are just window dressing and fiddling with them has no real impact on the series and its character.

(As a side note, my educated guess is that 'Teech' was to avoid people thinking it was the nickname for 'Teacher.')

So it might look silly or unnecessary now, and I think the market would largely agree with you on that point, but that's just a sign of how much things have changed in the manga market over the years. I don't necessarily fault the people who signed off on those decisions back when they made them, especially since we might be doing things now that will seem ridiculous in the future, but I'm also glad that nowadays we are not necessarily required to sand down every last rough edge in the name of reader comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    In this case I feel like I can provide an educated guess. What I've noticed from doing re-translation/revision of older published manga in English (like Ghost in the Shell, Akira) or matching consistency of the same (like with One Piece) is that when you go back to ten or more years ago, there's a very strong pattern during the adaptation stage that anything that might not make clear text sense or leave any readers scratching their heads is very likely to be adapted to something that is easier to understand. Hell, when I studied the Dark Horse/Marvel releases of GITS/Akira, they would even remove many SFX that were originally in Japanese and just never replace them with English ones because the specific SFX were very "Japanese" ones (silent sounds, conceptual effects) that an American comic book would never use.

With the case of Chopper's point/boost, of course they understood he was saying "point"; it wasn't a literal mistake where they thought he meant "boost." But most likely they looked at it and wondered "What does he even mean by point? If the whole idea is that Chopper is selectively powering-up/accentuating a specific body part, maybe boost will hit home with the readers more." And if that decision came down from 4Kids it's even easier to rationale, since the stakes/necessity for the audience to understand and accept everything they're hearing is even higher in a dubbed show airing on TV. Ultimately, the fine details on minor creative aspects like that are just window dressing and fiddling with them has no real impact on the series and its character.

(As a side note, my educated guess is that 'Teech' was to avoid people thinking it was the nickname for 'Teacher.')

So it might look silly or unnecessary now, and I think the market would largely agree with you on that point, but that's just a sign of how much things have changed in the manga market over the years. I don't necessarily fault the people who signed off on those decisions back when they made them, especially since we might be doing things now that will seem ridiculous in the future, but I'm also glad that nowadays we are not necessarily required to sand down every last rough edge in the name of reader comfort.
    Thanks as always for your insight, Stephen. That really does explain a lot about where these changes come from.

Mythically Inept Inventor dan2026's Avatar

Good points, well made.

It seems that the One Piece manga is in need of a ground up re-edit from the start.

But with 80 volumes plus that is hardly viable from a business perspective I guess.
    Tis a shame.

Good points, well made.

It seems that the One Piece manga is in need of a ground up re-edit from the start.

But with 80 volumes plus that is hardly viable from a business perspective I guess.
    Tis a shame.
    Actually I would like to question that "excuse": In the digital age a company should be able to react easier to changes than in the past. It is all about how you use your resources properly. Aside from the naming issue in One Piece, in the early volumes some sfx were translated differently thant nowadays. Then there is the whole pirate lingo thing that was connected to print shonen jump but viz still brings up the consistency point. Also, some SBS questions are missing and viz does not even point out they were left out due to non-relevenace since it is a japanese thing. When it comes to communication with readers, the three main manga publishers in the US do a terrible job. E.g. due to the whole thanks giving thing in the US Yenpress just postponed some simulpup chapters without anoucning it - Kodansha US did the same with Toppu GP.
    A publisher is also a company and there are certain things that manga publishers do that is not acceptable and that is bad communication respectively releasing untrue statements. Viz kind of ripped off a lot of digital customers in the past in not clarifying that you get a different product depending on the platform. Kodansha did also something I m really mad about: They restructured their departements and rebranded their digital imprint and lauched a subsidiary called KAM. Due to that all digital mangas someone bought on ibooks before that change kind of vanished and are only available in the cloud: E.g. if I go to ibooks and would check if I could redownload the most recent edition of earlier Attack on Titan volumes I would have to buy those volumes again because due to restructuring they kind of republished the same title under a different imprint and deleted the old ones from ibooks. Ever since Kadokawa purchased 51% of Yen Press, Yen Press is a huge mess: Releases were postponed (e.g. No game no Life novel) and very rarely the simulpup titles are released on time - before that you could rely on the schedule. Speaking of Yen Press, I wonder if SAO fans in 10 years will complain about the names in Sword Art online: The translation of the novels follows the anime naming out of consistency.
    Last edited by shadyagent; November 27th, 2016 at 09:33 AM.

Actually I would like to question that "excuse": In the digital age a company should be able to react easier to changes than in the past. It is all about how you use your resources properly. Aside from the naming issue in One Piece, in the early volumes some sfx were translated differently thant nowadays. Then there is the whole pirate lingo thing that was connected to print shonen jump but viz still brings up the consistency point. Also, some SBS questions are missing and viz does not even point out they were left out due to non-relevenace since it is a japanese thing. When it comes to communication with readers, the three main manga publishers in the US do a terrible job. E.g. due to the whole thanks giving thing in the US Yenpress just postponed some simulpup chapters without anoucning it - Kodansha US did the same with Toppu GP.
    A publisher is also a company and there are certain things that manga publishers do that is not acceptable and that is bad communication respectively releasing untrue statements. Viz kind of ripped off a lot of digital customers in the past in not clarifying that you get a different product depending on the platform. Kodansha did also something I m really mad about: They restructured their departements and rebranded their digital imprint and lauched a subsidiary called KAM. Due to that all digital mangas someone bought on ibooks before that change kind of vanished and are only available in the cloud: E.g. if I go to ibooks and would check if I could redownload the most recent edition of earlier Attack on Titan volumes I would have to buy those volumes again because due to restructuring they kind of republished the same title under a different imprint and deleted the old ones from ibooks. Ever since Kadokawa purchased 51% of Yen Press, Yen Press is a huge mess: Releases were postponed (e.g. No game no Life novel) and very rarely the simulpup titles are released on time - before that you could rely on the schedule. Speaking of Yen Press, I wonder if SAO fans in 10 years will complain about the names in Sword Art online: The translation of the novels follows the anime naming out of consistency.
    The digital age is a thing, yeah, but you act like it means the print edition doesn't exist at all. As if going back and making huge, series-spanning edits wouldn't create a huge rift between the two formats when they're supposed to be just different ways to access the same book.

People keep bringing up the pirate lingo thing but it's not nearly as prominent as they say and in a lot of cases used mostly in the speech patterns of certain characters who haven't appeared in a long time. (I could be wrong, but the last really piratey line I remember came from Blackbeard, and if anyone's gonna be talking like a real old timey pirate it's that guy.) And even if that was a point, a gradual shift in the tone of the dialogue isn't an inconsistency. I'm sure you'd find even in the Japanese version the dialogue reads a little different now to how it did then. The story is larger and more involved than it was, and Oda as a writer has grown. You can't seriously be putting that on the same level as changing a major character's name after 80 books. It's not the same, man, it's just not the same.

And the changes to the way sound effects are handled too. Can you really not see the difference between that, something that would change based on translator interpretation and in-story context, and, again, changing the name of a major character after eighty books. It's a false equivalency that doesn't add any weight to your argument.

You seem to think the whole world revolves around you, and that publishers should put all their resources into just completely revising old releases to meet your standards. Because it's the digital age and that'd be easy, right? Wouldn't cost any manpower or money that might be otherwhere allocated. Of course it wouldn't, it's digital. Screw the physical edition and anyone who has that set up to this point, it's their fault for getting an edition that can't be patched. Screw book design principals and the way they did it Japan, let's not have any panels run off the page because I want to see what's in the print gutters. Who needs to have any idea how the industry works, just get it done! Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    The digital age is a thing, yeah, but you act like it means the print edition doesn't exist at all. As if going back and making huge, series-spanning edits wouldn't create a huge rift between the two formats when they're supposed to be just different ways to access the same book.

People keep bringing up the pirate lingo thing but it's not nearly as prominent as they say and in a lot of cases used mostly in the speech patterns of certain characters who haven't appeared in a long time. (I could be wrong, but the last really piratey line I remember came from Blackbeard, and if anyone's gonna be talking like a real old timey pirate it's that guy.) And even if that was a point, a gradual shift in the tone of the dialogue isn't an inconsistency. I'm sure you'd find even in the Japanese version the dialogue reads a little different now to how it did then. The story is larger and more involved than it was, and Oda as a writer has grown. You can't seriously be putting that on the same level as changing a major character's name after 80 books. It's not the same, man, it's just not the same.

And the changes to the way sound effects are handled too. Can you really not see the difference between that, something that would change based on translator interpretation and in-story context, and, again, changing the name of a major character after eighty books. It's a false equivalency that doesn't add any weight to your argument.

You seem to think the whole world revolves around you, and that publishers should put all their resources into just completely revising old releases to meet your standards. Because it's the digital age and that'd be easy, right? Wouldn't cost any manpower or money that might be otherwhere allocated. Of course it wouldn't, it's digital. Screw the physical edition and anyone who has that set up to this point, it's their fault for getting an edition that can't be patched. Screw book design principals and the way they did it Japan, let's not have any panels run off the page because I want to see what's in the print gutters. Who needs to have any idea how the industry works, just get it done! Am I right?
    Thanks again for that condescending reply that misinterprets certain points and is created for the purpose to instult me.
    By the way I actually worked (internship) at the financial departement of bookpublisher and I got at least some basis insight. Please stop replying and instulting me while quoting my posts. You really have quite the issues.
    Last edited by shadyagent; November 27th, 2016 at 11:54 PM.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Updated the original post. For the time being, I left Volume 84 at 10 chapters and put chapter 849 in a new Volume 85, but if I hear otherwise, I'll move it.
    Hidden:

Sorry, I fell way too behind on this, lol. Chapters 850, 851, and 852 have all been added so it's up to date now. It sounds like Volume 84 will indeed be 10 chapters, so I kept that part as-is.
    Hidden:

I just find it odd the they went with 'gliff' over 'glyph'.
    Really odd. I wonder what the translator was thinking.

I don't think I have ever seen any fans ever refer to it as a 'ponegliff'.
    Even if it sounds the same it just looks wrong.
    Well, as i said i was just speculating, of course there are so many possibilities for what Pone could mean, "evil" and "devil" seem particularly appropriate to me, but thanks anyway for your research. My point was anyway that it's not irrilevant at all how a word in katakana is transliterated in another alphabet when that word is meant to indicate a word in another language, "Ponegliff" is just plain wrong because Oda with グリフ meant the word glyph. I'm not a translator, but i think it's quite obvious that understanding the derivation of a katakana word and transliterating it according to the language it was referring is a translator's duty, and when a translator fails to do that it's a plain mistake by him/her. Viz switching to Ponelgyph is indeed an improvement.

P.S. I had ancient Greek and Latin too for all the 5 years of high school.
    LEt me say this: I had ancient greek in school, about 5 years and I can say for sure that this etymology is not the the whole story. "Pone" derives first of all from "ponein/poneo" what means "to work", "To achieve something through hard word". It is true that "poneros" derives from "poneo/ponein" and means evil but only in the second meaning - first meaning is "cumbersome" (it derives from ponein). And I read Pone and not poner in Poneglyph

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Given what Rio Poneglyph actually means (according to what is written below the Furigana) "Real" Poneglyph depicts the true meaning very accurate
    Just depends on who's translating and what knowledge they have of other certain things. Like hieroglyphics and ancient Greek history.

The way I see it is, if it was meant to be "Real" it should have been written リアル (Real) instead of リオ (Rio) . Rio could just be the name of the Poneglyph . You can convey and maintain the original meaning of ロード歴史の本文 by using "Real" Poneglyph.

Not sure if it's been confirmed but the way I see it is, the Poneglyph is a stone of ancient righting using hieroglyphics and is called "Rio" and if you researched what it was about you would fine it is a stone with the "Road Text of History".

Chapter 853 Viz edition differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathracer2009 View Post
    Chapter 853 Viz edition differences?
    Ah, I actually did update the original post already, just didn't say so. My bad! XD
    Hidden:

I was checking the thread a few hours ago and I didn't checked the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathracer2009 View Post
    I was checking the thread a few hours ago and I didn't checked the first post.
    No worries~ Speaking of which, the first post has been updated for this week, too.
    Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information