+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

Chapter 856 comparison?

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Ayyy, just realized I forgot to put the 856 comparisons in here too. Sorry about that. Original post is now updated through the latest chapter, 857.

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik Dynomite View Post
    I also noticed Bege's line in MS on the final page when he replies to Luffy wanting to punch him is "That's fine. I don't care."
    While in Viz, its "No Vito, let him do it" which is in response to Gotti wanting to attack Luffy.
    So it completely changes what Capone was saying from being fine with Luffy hitting him, to actually being fine with Gotti attacking Luffy as a response for threatening him
    That's a good point. I added this to my Chapter 858 comparison.
    ---------------
    Also, for the time being, I've put Chapter 859 in with Volume 85, giving it 11 chapters. If that turns out to be wrong and it only has 10, I'll move 859 accordingly.

Thank you bellsario

What official english name for "morgan" that mentioned by Big Mom's underling?

Quote Originally Posted by trio walcott View Post
    Thank you bellsario

What official english name for "morgan" that mentioned by Big Mom's underling?
    Sorry for the late response on this. Yeah, it's Morgans.
    ---------------------
    Also, original post updated with 860. I've started a new tab for Volume 86.

Gotta give you props for your work Bellisario. The English translation doesn't really interest me but there's no arguing the quality of Stephen's translations. On top of that I find myself actually awaiting your comparison posts just to get clarification on that week's chapter. Having Mangastream, Jaimini's, as well as the stuff you're posting gives me the best understanding of that week's chapter. So thank you!

Seriously, thanks for all the work you do. It's a fascinating read.

And I have a question too, if that's alright. Katakuri is a bit weird in that his name doesn't fit with the naming theme of Big Mom's children. Is this something that is only true for english readers? I'm guessing that Katakuri works perfectly fine in the original Japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post

And I have a question too, if that's alright. Katakuri is a bit weird in that his name doesn't fit with the naming theme of Big Mom's children. Is this something that is only true for english readers? I'm guessing that Katakuri works perfectly fine in the original Japanese?
    Yeah, it pretty much works just fine, the difference is just that Oda decided to use the direct Japanese word rather than the English one in katakana. Perospero's name is the least fitting, given that it's a pun on the sound of licking + Prospero from The Tempest.

(There's also the case of Lola, though I think her full name is Lollipop or something)

Spoiler:

I thought Katakuri sounded out of place among the names as well, and was in support of Dogtooth when I first read it. However, after it was made clear to me in the chapter thread just how far the MS guys were reaching to get an English translation that wasn't Potato, I reconsidered.

I think the thing with the Charlotte kids names and English readers is that our language, having originated in Europe, is very welcoming to loanwords from other European languages. You wouldn't say all the Charlottes have English food based names specifically. Smoothie, Pudding and Cracker may be straight up English, but just as many are Italian (Muscato, Dolce, Dragee) or French (Galette, Opera, Praline). And it's not like they're the kind of foreign loanwords that see everyday use either - I doubt there are many people here who could honestly say they knew how Opera related to food without googling it. But even without definitions in our common knowledge they sound more familiar. We're more used to borrowing words from European languages, so we process them as less foreign sounding subconsciously. When you consider that it's a global and multi-language food theme, Katakuri doesn't seem so out of place. Every other name is foreign, and with Perospero and Linlin herself also in the mix, it's not even the first noticeably eastern name in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I thought Katakuri sounded out of place among the names as well, and was in support of Dogtooth when I first read it. However, after it was made clear to me in the chapter thread just how far the MS guys were reaching to get an English translation that wasn't Potato, I reconsidered.

I think the thing with the Charlotte kids names and English readers is that our language, having originated in Europe, is very welcoming to loanwords from other European languages. You wouldn't say all the Charlottes have English food based names specifically. Smoothie, Pudding and Cracker may be straight up English, but just as many are Italian (Muscato, Dolce, Dragee) or French (Galette, Opera, Praline). And it's not like they're the kind of foreign loanwords that see everyday use either - I doubt there are many people here who could honestly say they knew how Opera related to food without googling it. But even without definitions in our common knowledge they sound more familiar. We're more used to borrowing words from European languages, so we process them as less foreign sounding subconsciously. When you consider that it's a global and multi-language food theme, Katakuri doesn't seem so out of place. Every other name is foreign, and with Perospero and Linlin herself also in the mix, it's not even the first noticeably eastern name in the family.
    I think what irks me about Katakuri is that it just sounds out of place. All other names have a similar ring to it, even if I don't know what they're supposed to be. With Perospero, even though the pun is lost we still have the connection to Prospero, and Linlin isn't too far fetched (that might be a personal feeling though, as "Linn" is a common name where I live).

I should note that this isn't meant to be a critique of Oda choosing that name (that'd be beyond stupid), more I find it fascinating how language works. That a man named "Opera" can somehow feel more natural than someone being named "Katakuri". Another personal thing that got in the way is that when I hear "Katakuri" I think of something mechanical (I know there's something called "karakuri" so maybe that's the reason for the confusion).

But it's only a matter of time before Katakuri feels natural too. Also I hope some very dedicated fan makes a "Charlotte Cooking Book" after this arc. So many of these names sounds delicious~ Altough what recipe would you have for Potato Starch?

Let the Pun fit the Crime Skadi's Avatar

Help? At the beggining of chapter 825, Vito says two different things depending on the version:

Mangastream: Hes been reading the comic for as long as he can remember
    Powermanga: He started reading the comic RECENTLY

I trust more in powermanga, but wanted to know what does the VIZ version say.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Skadi View Post
    Help? At the beggining of chapter 825, Vito says two different things depending on the version:

Mangastream: Hes been reading the comic for as long as he can remember
    Powermanga: He started reading the comic RECENTLY

I trust more in powermanga, but wanted to know what does the VIZ version say.
    Spoiler:

I think this is the panel you're looking for. If not let me know.

Yes it is, thank you!

So its ambiguous whether he started long ago or not.

translated-ShiningDarkness
    Where condensed shadow meets ultimate radiance. Wherever that is.

I am... bothered, to say the least, by mangastream's choice of Dogtooth. But I'm downright disgusted by how the staff make fun of people in their comments who call them out on this blatant overreach. They act like everyone who disagrees with them must either not know Japanese or be a weeaboo. Their translation has never been the best but they've convinced me to turn adblock back on for their site over this.

(Like, it's not an *inaccurate* translation, but even a toddler could tell you, after giving them full context for the word katakuri in modern use, that a more thematic name if you reeeally felt obligated to translate it, would be "starch"

Though an actual toddler would probably go straight for potato because that's hilarious)
    Last edited by HikaruYami; April 2nd, 2017 at 07:30 PM.

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

How about we just call him Latke?
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    How about we just call him Latke?
    Had to translate that, ended up as Raggmunk.

Raggmunk can, if you take some liberties, mean "Monk who tries to pick up ladies".

And Katakuri looks a little bit like a Raggare

I was gonna say Starch has grown on me, but this is too good.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainYama View Post
    Gotta give you props for your work Bellisario. The English translation doesn't really interest me but there's no arguing the quality of Stephen's translations. On top of that I find myself actually awaiting your comparison posts just to get clarification on that week's chapter. Having Mangastream, Jaimini's, as well as the stuff you're posting gives me the best understanding of that week's chapter. So thank you!

Of course, anytime! I'm glad to hear it's helpful for you~ and Zar, yup, as Kaido KotB said, it does work fine in Japanese.
    ---------------------------
    Also, Chapter 861 added.

Thanks for the clarification on what Vito said, I was sure that was it and Im relieved I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by HikaruYami View Post
    I am... bothered, to say the least, by mangastream's choice of Dogtooth. But I'm downright disgusted by how the staff make fun of people in their comments who call them out on this blatant overreach. They act like everyone who disagrees with them must either not know Japanese or be a weeaboo. Their translation has never been the best but they've convinced me to turn adblock back on for their site over this.

(Like, it's not an *inaccurate* translation, but even a toddler could tell you, after giving them full context for the word katakuri in modern use, that a more thematic name if you reeeally felt obligated to translate it, would be "starch"

Though an actual toddler would probably go straight for potato because that's hilarious)
    God damn, I actually went and had a look at some of them and...

As if anyone working on mangastream's releases think they have they have the right to be elitist.

Interestingly, googling the relevant terms again for the purpose of writing up this comment, the wikipedia page for the dogtooth violet no longer has the word katakuri on it at all. The only page with that is for the Asian fawnlily, a related species that was once classified together with the European dogtooth, but is now considered separate, so the connection gets even more dubious as we go.

But the biggest issue, I think, is a misreading of the intent of the original name. The crew is food themed. The names are food words, or derived from them. And in that context, choosing between connecting the name to katakuriko, an actual food word with a present and direct meaning, or connecting it to the name of a lily that was once used as a source of starch, but not anymore, the intended reading is clear. Stephen and Greg both rejected Dogtooth outright, and they're the people in the best position to be say what Oda intended.

And like, I have no problem with changing a character's name in a translation, if it's done for the sake of clarity. But Dogtooth or the name of any other lily doesn't clarify a thing to the English-speaking audience. They haven't made the intended "potato starch" meaning more obvious, they've obfuscated it behind having to google dogtooth to find out it's the name of a plant, then research further into that to find out that plant is a European variant of a Asian plant that was once used as a source of starch. Yeah, Katakuri is oblique in English too, but there are far fewer layers of research separating us from understanding that as opposed to a new reader with no context trying to make sense of goddamn Dogtooth.

They don't have a leg to stand on. If the argument is that is was done for clear meaning, there was no reason not to call him Starch or Potato, as silly as they sound. The argument they wanted a western name to keep with the crew's aesthetic doesn't hold water, because we have Linlin, Daifuku and Perospero representing eastern sounds with no changes.

Dogooth came about because they found a very, very loosely related word that sounds like it's trying to be cool, and thought it would fit with Katakuri's character design, which tries very hard to look badass. And you know what? I don't disagree with that, conceptually. I legitimately think the name, with all the images the words that make it up conjure before you know it's for a flower, fits how he looks. But it's obviously not what Oda was trying to say. It's a rewrite, not a translation.

And I don't actually care that they're rewriting things. Who caaares if a fan-made, pirated work alters the script? They can do that if they want. There are other groups out there that shoot for accuracy, and the official translation is more accessible than it's ever been. We're not stuck reading them and only them. The problem is that they act like their choices are objectively right and accurate, when all the evidence says otherwise. Mangastream is pretending to be something they're not. That's all there is to it.

Where was mangastream arguing with people over this? I'm curios to see their laughable defense of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information