+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 121 to 130 of 130

Thread: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

  1. #121

    Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

    Chapter 856 comparison?

  2. #122
    The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Somewhere or other

    Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

    Ayyy, just realized I forgot to put the 856 comparisons in here too. Sorry about that. Original post is now updated through the latest chapter, 857.

  3. #123
    The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Somewhere or other

    Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

    Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik Dynomite View Post
    I also noticed Bege's line in MS on the final page when he replies to Luffy wanting to punch him is "That's fine. I don't care."
    While in Viz, its "No Vito, let him do it" which is in response to Gotti wanting to attack Luffy.
    So it completely changes what Capone was saying from being fine with Luffy hitting him, to actually being fine with Gotti attacking Luffy as a response for threatening him
    That's a good point. I added this to my Chapter 858 comparison.
    ---------------
    Also, for the time being, I've put Chapter 859 in with Volume 85, giving it 11 chapters. If that turns out to be wrong and it only has 10, I'll move 859 accordingly.

  4. #124

    Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

    Thank you bellsario

    What official english name for "morgan" that mentioned by Big Mom's underling?

  5. #125
    The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Somewhere or other

    Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

    Quote Originally Posted by trio walcott View Post
    Thank you bellsario

    What official english name for "morgan" that mentioned by Big Mom's underling?
    Sorry for the late response on this. Yeah, it's Morgans.
    ---------------------
    Also, original post updated with 860. I've started a new tab for Volume 86.

  6. #126

    Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

    Gotta give you props for your work Bellisario. The English translation doesn't really interest me but there's no arguing the quality of Stephen's translations. On top of that I find myself actually awaiting your comparison posts just to get clarification on that week's chapter. Having Mangastream, Jaimini's, as well as the stuff you're posting gives me the best understanding of that week's chapter. So thank you!

  7. #127
    Never gets anything done Zar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Skypiea

    Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

    Seriously, thanks for all the work you do. It's a fascinating read.

    And I have a question too, if that's alright. Katakuri is a bit weird in that his name doesn't fit with the naming theme of Big Mom's children. Is this something that is only true for english readers? I'm guessing that Katakuri works perfectly fine in the original Japanese?

  8. #128

    Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

    Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    Seriously, thanks for all the work you do. It's a fascinating read.

    And I have a question too, if that's alright. Katakuri is a bit weird in that his name doesn't fit with the naming theme of Big Mom's children. Is this something that is only true for english readers? I'm guessing that Katakuri works perfectly fine in the original Japanese?
    Yeah, it pretty much works just fine, the difference is just that Oda decided to use the direct Japanese word rather than the English one in katakana. Perospero's name is the least fitting, given that it's a pun on the sound of licking + Prospero from The Tempest.

    (There's also the case of Lola, though I think her full name is Lollipop or something)


    Spoiler:

  9. #129

    Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

    Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    Seriously, thanks for all the work you do. It's a fascinating read.

    And I have a question too, if that's alright. Katakuri is a bit weird in that his name doesn't fit with the naming theme of Big Mom's children. Is this something that is only true for english readers? I'm guessing that Katakuri works perfectly fine in the original Japanese?
    I thought Katakuri sounded out of place among the names as well, and was in support of Dogtooth when I first read it. However, after it was made clear to me in the chapter thread just how far the MS guys were reaching to get an English translation that wasn't Potato, I reconsidered.

    I think the thing with the Charlotte kids names and English readers is that our language, having originated in Europe, is very welcoming to loanwords from other European languages. You wouldn't say all the Charlottes have English food based names specifically. Smoothie, Pudding and Cracker may be straight up English, but just as many are Italian (Muscato, Dolce, Dragee) or French (Galette, Opera, Praline). And it's not like they're the kind of foreign loanwords that see everyday use either - I doubt there are many people here who could honestly say they knew how Opera related to food without googling it. But even without definitions in our common knowledge they sound more familiar. We're more used to borrowing words from European languages, so we process them as less foreign sounding subconsciously. When you consider that it's a global and multi-language food theme, Katakuri doesn't seem so out of place. Every other name is foreign, and with Perospero and Linlin herself also in the mix, it's not even the first noticeably eastern name in the family.

  10. #130
    Never gets anything done Zar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Skypiea

    Default Re: VIZ/Mangastream Comparison Questions and Archive

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I thought Katakuri sounded out of place among the names as well, and was in support of Dogtooth when I first read it. However, after it was made clear to me in the chapter thread just how far the MS guys were reaching to get an English translation that wasn't Potato, I reconsidered.

    I think the thing with the Charlotte kids names and English readers is that our language, having originated in Europe, is very welcoming to loanwords from other European languages. You wouldn't say all the Charlottes have English food based names specifically. Smoothie, Pudding and Cracker may be straight up English, but just as many are Italian (Muscato, Dolce, Dragee) or French (Galette, Opera, Praline). And it's not like they're the kind of foreign loanwords that see everyday use either - I doubt there are many people here who could honestly say they knew how Opera related to food without googling it. But even without definitions in our common knowledge they sound more familiar. We're more used to borrowing words from European languages, so we process them as less foreign sounding subconsciously. When you consider that it's a global and multi-language food theme, Katakuri doesn't seem so out of place. Every other name is foreign, and with Perospero and Linlin herself also in the mix, it's not even the first noticeably eastern name in the family.
    I think what irks me about Katakuri is that it just sounds out of place. All other names have a similar ring to it, even if I don't know what they're supposed to be. With Perospero, even though the pun is lost we still have the connection to Prospero, and Linlin isn't too far fetched (that might be a personal feeling though, as "Linn" is a common name where I live).

    I should note that this isn't meant to be a critique of Oda choosing that name (that'd be beyond stupid), more I find it fascinating how language works. That a man named "Opera" can somehow feel more natural than someone being named "Katakuri". Another personal thing that got in the way is that when I hear "Katakuri" I think of something mechanical (I know there's something called "karakuri" so maybe that's the reason for the confusion).

    But it's only a matter of time before Katakuri feels natural too. Also I hope some very dedicated fan makes a "Charlotte Cooking Book" after this arc. So many of these names sounds delicious~ Altough what recipe would you have for Potato Starch?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts