+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 1506

Thread: Fairy Tail Discussion IV

Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion IV

That was a LOOOOOONG time ago. They haven't interacted since she revealed herself to be alive. Lucy is the one, ever since a long time ago.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Yeah Lissana has never really interacted with Natsu at all and basically with a little she has done she should stayed dead cause she would have accomplished just as much.

Why isn't anyone commenting the title page? that's some deep meaningful art right there

"You're worthy of the King title!"

"Thanks, but no thanks."

-Hiro Mashima-
    "Where in this frail body do I find the strength to stand up?"

so what "one shot" was best:

Ichigi one or Natsu one.

How a sad movement to end!

Unpopular opinion maybe , but I think this chapter was kinda good (except the rushed final fight)
    Natsu unexpectedly wasn't saying cliche words (he also has good closing words against Zeref)
    For the generic worldwide friendship attacks , well I'm sure everyone who have read Fairy Tail this far would have expected this.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBi View Post
    Natsu unexpectedly wasn't saying cliche words
    'All I need are my friends'

Well at least Erza didnt destroy Dragon Acnologia, hopefully there is no FT sequel..
    HE WHO IS NOT COURAGEOUS ENOUGH TO TAKE RISKS WILL ACCOMPLISH NOTHING IN LIFE.
    -MUHAMMAD ALI(1942-2016)

Needless to say, Erza vs Irene was a lot better than this because at least the latter could take some heavy hits before actually going down. In the other hand, Acnololgia only received clean hit ONCE and it destroyed him instantly. That's absolutely pathetic for a penultimate boss. Then again, a lot of FT villains are like this so.. par for the course, I guess?
    "Where in this frail body do I find the strength to stand up?"

Penultimate boss? You mean like there follows another ultimate boss? Then I hope this ultimate boss will be tits and asses - as they finally claim their proper place in the food hierarchy. And even Brandish cannot shrink Lucy's big breasts - and don't even dare to think about her ass.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

Welp, one more chapter to go. This kind of feels like reading the ending of Bleach, where I get almost no pleasure out of it besides some cool visuals once in a while. Excited to see how this wraps up. Will be one less manga I read weekly, leaving pretty much just One Piece now (and HxH whenever it appears)

As Mashima wants to sledgehammer into us how everything went full circle by being back in that town where everything started, I once again reread the very first chapter. And as a standalone chapter it's really awesome. Basically everything back in that chapter worked well. The premise is good, the characters are symphathetic and interesting, there's exactly the right dose of worldbuilding (not too less, but also not so much that we're overwhelmed by too much information), the pacing is good and overall it really works as a good introduction chapter with a lot of potential to become something really great and meaningful. Also there were conflicts which actually worked on a narrative level. Like the Lucy and Aquarius dynamic which lets us anticipate what's there still to come. As well as the upcoming conflict between Fairy Tail and the council which itself was riddled with interpersonal conflicts. It really felt like there were lots of actual characters with a lot of interesting conflicts awaiting us!

So the question? What the hell happened inbetween back then and now?! WHY, JUST WHY??!!!

Really, that chapter was awesome! It told me that there is a great journey upon me in a big, big world full of magic and mystery as well as myriads of great characters. With exactly that enthusiasm, I went on to chapter 2 back then and didn't get disappointed that soon as well. These were the times...
    Last edited by ARTEMlS; July 17th, 2017 at 05:50 AM.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

I imagine it's a number of factors. The big one I feel is the same as Bleach, where early on it's a bunch of small little arcs/stories that don't interconnect too much, which allows you to build a foundation and make the rules. However, as time goes on and you expand more upon the world, there needs to be at least an outline of a plan to go along, and at the same time not change the rules. With Fairy Tail, after a certain point it felt like Mashima wanted arcs to be bigger, but didn't care about keeping rules and other stuff consistent. So when we get to later arcs things happen that make no sense from what we already know of the world. Another major problem comes with the general theme and style Mashima went for after a certain point. His central point of friendship isn't necessarily a bad point to make, but when that's your only reason the guild comes on top every single time makes for terrible writing, especially when giving a power boost to beat an enemy you could do nothing against beforehand. Using One Piece for a few good examples, the idea of friendship was used in a few better ways. When Luffy fought Lucci and was down for the count, Usopp motivated Luffy to get up one more time. Lucci was also pretty beaten up, and it was down to the wire, so a last minute push for a final hit works, especially with the central idea of saving Robin and everything surrounding that. Another great example which didn't involve having someone actually win was in Zou, when you found out that the Minks withstood all the torture and refused to give away the location of their friend. Now that's a true message of friendship, where you do everything you can to protect someone.

Then lastly, Mashima wanted way too much fan service in this series. There were so many moments that were supposed to be tense, but Mashima just could not hold back focusing on butts or boobs in various shots. One that I will always remember was in the Grand Magical games, where Lucy and other summoning girl were about to fall in the lava, but the knight saved them. Should've been a cool moment, but there was an emphasis on their butts and the fact that the guy was pushing them up by the butt. Another big one was Brandish and Lucy being in the bathtub together. This war to determine the fate of the country is going on, but we need to show these two people naked in the tub together.

Unfortunately these points all boil down to one thing, Mashima not being able to deliver what he implicitly promised in the very first chapter. Therefore, especially after thinking back to the roots, I feel completely betrayed. And that's just not how someone should feel when reading the final chapter.

However, I'm not even convinced that Mashima cannot pull off something actual good - if only he'd just try. Hopefully for his next project, he just takes enough time to outline the overall story structure including the crucial plot and pinch points. As well as he not only works out what his themes will be, but also how these themes properly get embedded into everything else. And of course he has to learn more about basic dramatic writing in order to create actual tension especially later on.
    Last edited by ARTEMlS; July 17th, 2017 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARTEMlS View Post
    Unfortunately these points all boil down to one thing, Mashima not being able to deliver what he implicitly promised in the very first chapter. Therefore, especially after thinking back to the roots, I feel completely betrayed. And that's just not how someone should feel when reading the final chapter.

However, I'm not even convinced that Mashima cannot pull off something actual good - if only he'd just try. Hopefully for his next project, he just takes enough time to outline the overall story structure including the crucial plot and pinch points. As well as he not only works out what his themes will be, but also how these themes properly get embedded into everything else. And of course he has to learn more about basic dramatic writing in order to create actual tension especially later on.
    You are asking too much there. When a mangaka gets famous doing something, he will keep doing it in it's next works too, so the echii will probably remain. Another thing with Mashima is that he doesn't draw good battles. His coreographies are really bad, and the winner is usually the one who does the stronger attack. As much as he can make interesting characters and world-building, as long as he doesn't fix those two things, I wouldn't expect much from his next work, hope I'm mistaken.

And he could also work out on drawing his hits. It really feels like "natsu runs with his fist up->natsu strikes a pose with his fist down while the opponent is flying, engulfed in flames". There's not dynamic to it. Which is a shame, because the art is otherwise nice to look at. I really feel inclined to agree with Franky Tank and how the development of Fairy Tail felt similar to what happened with Bleach. Good initial arcs, with just enough interconnection but no grand outline to build towards giving way to a story that was born out of necessity and with no thought or soul put behind it. It's different than Naruto's fate, which I would say has more to do with how the mangaka's interests and goals shifted as he wrote the story and ended up leading it down a different path, which disappointed many fans. In a certain sense, a similar thing is going on with One Piece, not in terms of the story itself being developed but how Oda's interests in world building and character design are getting in the way of said story and leaving some fans disappointed with how it's presented to us. But this, I feel, is something that can change from arc to arc and that is mitigated by Oda's ability of long term story planning and skill in emotional pay offs, which maintain cohesiveness and a clear goal which we all feel we're striving towards. FT and Bleach never had that. We never really knew where the story was going besides some vague things like "Aizen is the bad guy", "Natsu wants to find Dragneel" or "Zeref is the most famous evil wizard and will clearly be back one day to be the final villain" (oh wait. Madara 2.0). And then it just felt that the authors felt obliged to give us a final great war arc but that wasn't really what they would like to do. In all 3 series I mentioned, despite the progressive drop in quality, the final wars themselves were an even more drastic drop. They felt utterly soulless, uninventive, shoved in for the sake of a final war arc, with villains that barely had any build up and whose connections needed to be established in that very arc, despite the arc being all about fight fight fight. And the fights also left a lot to be desired when compared to the rest of the series, especially in Bleach, in my opinion.
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

I think the main point for me is that Mashima is not good at doing action. It's been mentioned before and I've been saying it for years but the fight choreography in Fairy Tail is just plain bad, no clear flow of movement from panel to panel, not much variation in fighting style between characters and a big lag of impact in any of the hits just makes the fights boring to read. Compared to something like Seven deadly sins that runs in the same magazine the difference in quality is night and day.

Also character wise there are so many one note characters, which usually wouldn't be much of a problem with Fairy Tail's large cast, but it is a big problem when the most boring and ill defined character is the main one. Natsu is just plain dull, really just as bad if not worse than Ichigo. There are other characters who I feel got progressively less interesting as the story went on such as Juvia. At the beginning when she first joined Fairy Tail even though her main gimmick was her love of Gray it was at least played with in different ways, such as her jealous almost spiteful interactions with any female character that she thought was interested in Gray, but by around the halfway point you could predict with 100% accuracy any line of dialogue she would have. It just felt like Mashima got a bit lazy with his characterisation and stuck with each characters sole defining character trait leaving most characters feeling one dimensional.

I do think Mashima is a pretty good artist though and he is certainly one of the most prolific mangaka out there, I don't recall any breaks in Fairy tail and there were nearly always extra chapters and side stories being pumped out that had no effect on the schedule of the main series. When Fairy tail was lighthearted and just a silly adventure manga I think that was when it was at it's strongest. Such as the short arc with Flare and the frozen giants. If his next series was more of a gag manga or goofy adventure manga then I would be interested in reading it but the action and weak narrative really did drag Fairy tail down.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    And then it just felt that the authors felt obliged to give us a final great war arc but that wasn't really what they would like to do. In all 3 series I mentioned, despite the progressive drop in quality, the final wars themselves were an even more drastic drop. They felt utterly soulless, uninventive, shoved in for the sake of a final war arc, with villains that barely had any build up and whose connections needed to be established in that very arc, despite the arc being all about fight fight fight. And the fights also left a lot to be desired when compared to the rest of the series, especially in Bleach, in my opinion.
    This is my ultimate fear for One Piece. I'm not sure if Oda can break the "final war arc curse." I know he's a better author than all three of them but leaving so many important payoffs all for one arc just seems like an inherently bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBits View Post
    This is my ultimate fear for One Piece. I'm not sure if Oda can break the "final war arc curse." I know he's a better author than all three of them but leaving so many important payoffs all for one arc just seems like an inherently bad idea.
    If anything, I don't have any fear for the final One Piece arc because unlike the others Oda actually knows what to do regarding his grand scheme. That was planned from the very beginning so that Oda could architecture anything around it just fine. And leaving so many payoffs for the final just is completely natural. All these years before the final arc are just to plant exactly what it needs for the greatest payoffs to harvest in the grand finale.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information