+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78
Results 1,541 to 1,557 of 1557

Thread: Fairy Tail is Dead Discussion IV

Default Re: Fairy Tail is Dead Discussion IV

Quote Originally Posted by ARTEMlS View Post
    I guess the insult was towards... an entity which mostly deserves any insult, anyway.

But one more question: Lets say I'm Mashima and right now I finished that first chapter. Besides, I'm having everything planned out like the overall main story, the overall theme and everything else. It may not be a masterpiece-plan, but it's at least a good, solid plan. Now I see your criticisms and I actually agree with you and therefore will do begin working at making a better final product, starting with a better possible second chapter. So going on from this exact assumption:

Would you really say, despite me willing to improve, it's absolutely impossible to create any second chapter, any at all, (and therefore any following chapters) that'll can undo the mistakes from the first chapter?
    No.

The first chapter is, well, the first chapter. There is no way that the opening chapter can ever determine the quality of the entire work especially long-running series where it takes time for the writers to find the footing, and get conformable.

My arguments against Fairytail take the series trajectory in terms of quality over the years, into the account, as well as the writer's lack of drive, or vision, to talk about the overall quality, and why the series always had those problems in the beginning, and just became more noticeable as the series progressed.

If i was writing all of this by simply reading the first chapter, then my arguments simply wouldn't hold any water. Opening chapters exist to interest potential readers into reading the series, and finding out what happens. There is just no way to get a grasp on the entire series in that small amount of time.

I'll use MHA manga as an example of this; When i picked up the series, and read through the first chapter, it made me interested in it because of its underdog character story, and how impactful the last few panels of the chapter were. It was a series that announced itself to be a interesting with an relatedable main protag. Fast forward to present, and the series is a very predictable shonen that hits pretty much every modern shonen trope ever. It was a series that started off with a high-note, and devolved into a mindless shonen action series.

Now to look at the other side of that; Berserk, one of my favorite manga of all time, started off as a fairly mediocre dark fantasy series, and was like that for the first three volumes. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either, and I was about to drop the series, but once the Golden Age arc hit, the series quickly became one of the best character-study/journey of all time that didn't pull any punches when it came to the characters, and their relationships.

There are plenty of series whose first chapter didn't hook me, or make any real impact, yet lot of them ended up being some of my favorite series of all time.

With FT, the opening showcases some of the most basic key aspects that the manga didn't properly grasp, and get worst as the series progresses.

It would be one thing if Mashima failed in the first chapter, but regained his footing, and improved on the aspects. It's another when the opening chapter pretty much foreshadows the level of amateur mistakes that Mashima will continue to make.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post

It would be one thing if Mashima failed in the first chapter, but regained his footing, and improved on the aspects. It's another when the opening chapter pretty much foreshadows the level of amateur mistakes that Mashima will continue to make.
    If that were the case, Fairy Tail would have just been a very dull and boring show.

It became literally one of the worst written stories ever - at least that I've read. So nah, the first chapter 1's quality was nowhere near as putrid as the rest of it.
    FMA 03> FMA Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Now to look at the other side of that; Berserk, one of my favorite manga of all time, started off as a fairly mediocre dark fantasy series, and was like that for the first three volumes. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either, and I was about to drop the series, but once the Golden Age arc hit, the series quickly became one of the best character-study/journey of all time that didn't pull any punches when it came to the characters, and their relationships.
    Ja! I just dropped Berserk after ending that third volume. Still, i must say my very first one was Faily.

I'll use MHA manga as an example of this; When i picked up the series, and read through the first chapter, it made me interested in it because of its underdog character story, and how impactful the last few panels of the chapter were. It was a series that announced itself to be a interesting with an relatedable main protag. Fast forward to present, and the series is a very predictable shonen that hits pretty much every modern shonen trope ever. It was a series that started off with a high-note, and devolved into a mindless shonen action series.
    Good to know. OumaZoo kinda had that very same pace at its end, Kouhei is not that good, but manages to give me some laughs, i think he resembles the style of Takei at Shaman King, don't know why but can't stop comparing them.

Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it
    Even if something can be known about it, knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

It's over!? It's finally over!!!

I stopped reading at some time in the war. I can't believe it went on so damn long.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post

I stopped reading at some time in the war. I can't believe it went on so damn long.
    your avatar is representative of the all the people that stuck out to the end

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

You can't rejoice in the fact that it's over when you stopped reading, you slacker!

The war, ahaHahAhahHAHahahaha. It's so irrelevant everything aftermath was wrapped offscreen. The large-scale invasion left no negative impact on either side whatsoever and it even ended on hopeful note that the Alvarez might be able to get along with Fiore very soon, somehow. I just can't even.
    "Where in this frail body do I find the strength to stand up?"

Well at least it's over now. I dropped it after the GMG arc because it was just not getting any better. In all honesty, it should've probably ended after the tower arc. We might not have got all the answers but at least it was consistently good up to that point.

Considering that the cause of the war was zeref going "let's go get me a barefoot loli" the general alvarez population shouldn't care that much about fiore.

Fiore on the other hand should be pissed off at Alvarez.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

However, FT makes a lot of things wrong, but really not everything. I guess in order to bring a sufficient proof you really let me no other choice...

Behold as I now will present you something that's worse than FT on every level. If the genericness and blehness just is too much, feel free to punish me in any appropriate manner. It's an indie-RPG I betatested and it basically gets EVERY possible level (be it storytelling- or gameplay-related) just plain wrong. Starting with the hook which basically is non-existent and just boils down to doing random fetchquests because why not. so here it comes...

Spoiler:

Just look at the respective very first scenes, both show us some higher authority/important persons, however whereas FT actually is subtle (writing together subtle and FT sounds so wrong), the game actually flat out not only tells us that there's a conspiracy but also who the conspirators are. And that before we learn anything about the conspiracy or the world in general.

So you want one thing the very first FT scene does right: Not telling us explicitly who the conspirators are in the/a possible upcoming conspiracy plot.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    The war, ahaHahAhahHAHahahaha. It's so irrelevant everything aftermath was wrapped offscreen. The large-scale invasion left no negative impact on either side whatsoever and it even ended on hopeful note that the Alvarez might be able to get along with Fiore very soon, somehow. I just can't even.
    Idk if it was the anime improving it but tartaros felt so much more like a final arc
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Idk if it was the anime improving it but tartaros felt so much more like a final arc
    It would have been probably a good point to end the series right there and then, IF:
    • Acnologia had also been killed in fight with Igneel, with Natsu's assistance.
    • With Acnologia defeated, Zeref had to reconsider his plan and give humanity another chance. He would still be around, sure, only with no grand evil goal to achieve for awhile.
    Last edited by Domingo; July 31st, 2017 at 04:14 PM.
    "Where in this frail body do I find the strength to stand up?"

not till the fish jumps!
    Spoiler:

After jumping the shark finally another fish jumps.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

Well, nevertheless I really, really like Lucy. On a metalevel she basically is a representation of Mashima's awareness that his storytelling indeed is flawed. I recently bought volume 52 and in the Q&A corner she blatantly criticizes Mashima's ability. And I mean sometimes, though more subtle then, she even does so in the actual story. Lucy is a great character who just deserves a better... anything else - and deep inside she absolutely knows.

The characte development would have only been undone if they reset their characters but it didnt, of course lisanna was completely an afterthought afterwards...but her being brought back regardless of how out of nowhere it was didnt ruin the affect it had on them from how they acted moving forward

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by ARTEMlS View Post
    Well, nevertheless I really, really like Lucy. On a metalevel she basically is a representation of Mashima's awareness that his storytelling indeed is flawed. I recently bought volume 52 and in the Q&A corner she blatantly criticizes Mashima's ability. And I mean sometimes, though more subtle then, she even does so in the actual story. Lucy is a great character who just deserves a better... anything else - and deep inside she absolutely knows.
    Interested how you rate the expanded main cast

Natsu,Lucy,Gray, Erza, Wendy, Juvia, Gajeel
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Interested how you rate the expanded main cast

Natsu,Lucy,Gray, Erza, Wendy, Juvia, Gajeel
    Uff, I think I cannot really rate them because I actually cannot ANY memorable moment with some sufficient emotional weight behind it. (Aside maybe how Lucy's worldview got scattered in chapter 1, but other than that...)

As I said I actually rate Lucy high for stuff like that:
    http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/468/6

"What am I supposed to be doing here... I have no idea what's going on..." - One of Lucy's best lines, really as if she is speaking directly to Mashima here.

Seriously, that is the only memorable moment I can think of regarding the (expanded) main cast. Other than that, really, I remember nothing noteworthy...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information