+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

Default Re: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Kingsman: The Secret Service was a great movie. Lots of cliches, but the effort and heart put into them made them all the better.

Spoiler:
    If there's one complaint I have, it's that Roxy becomes a nonfactor too early into the climax.

*Braces self for Fantastic Kingsmen and Where to Find Them*

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!!!!

*reads again before posting*

Oh, nvm, lol. I thought you all somehow got to see the Kingsman sequel before the rest of us.
    Everything's Eventual...

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

After watching the trailer for the Guillermo del Toro film The Shape of Water set to be released later this year. I decided to reacquaint myself with two of his older works. The Devilís Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth (a.k.a. The Labyrinth of the Faun).

The Devilís Backbone is more firmly grounded in the real world between the two. The movie follows a group of young boys who live in an orphanage. There's this through line of brotherhood between them that really works in favor of the movie overall, both positively and negatively. Positively in that its handled well enough to be believable. So that once their lives fall apart around them, it all has the desired negative effect because it's happening to likeable people. The villain of the movie is an interesting contradiction, in that he projects a superficial kind of strength that serves to mask how miserable he really is. I find him to be a great dark counterpart for the protagonists. And it's all wrapped up in a well done ghost story package.

Pan's Labyrinth has a more surreal quality to it. This movie centers on the home life of a young girl. It's worth noting that the movie never feels the need to explain the strangeness that goes on throughout. It's left open to interpretation if a distinction between real life and fantasy exists at all. There's an element of the imagination as an escape from the harsh cruelties of reality at work in Pan's Labyrinth, that simultaneously acknowledges one must confront their issues eventually. The antagonist for this one has more of a bloodthirsty blatantly political presence to him than the one in The Devilís Backbone. So he comes across as more threatening and despicable as he should.

I would hope The Shape of Water follows in the footsteps of these films. They're both bittersweet but Guillermo del Toro has a flair for movies like that.
    Godzilla always requires the best. He's the boss, but that's why i'm his partner. We're partners because we share the same feelings. ó Haruo Nakajima

If you like action films and/or Charlize Theron, Atomic Blonde is worth the ticket. It probably won't blow you away because the bulk of the story is told by Theron's character recalling what happened to her over the past few days. It's not my first choice of how to present a movie but far from a deal breaker. I'm not going to add spoiler bits because any hint at the big twist could ruin how you watch the movie the first time. The whole double agent/ manipulation plot it has going for it is an acquired taste but the movie is really entertaining.

I saw this comment calling it Lung Cancer: The Movie because every other scene has someone smoking.

I'm pretty sure I watched at least part of End of Evangelion at some point but I don't know why I wouldn't have watched the entire thing. In any case I finished NGE today and watched EoE. I thought it was pretty great. It's as good an ending as any really and I think an ambiguous ending fits the show pretty well. Especially if you think like some people do that the original Episodes 25 and 26 basically take place at the same time as EoE. Wasn't a fan of the live action scenes though. I also think it would have had a lot more impact if the scenes showing while Komm Susser Tod played didn't have dialogue but maybe that wouldn't have expressed everything that they wanted to express.

The animation was also good. NGE almost through the entire show had a lot of static scenes and there were some in EoE too but the animation was a lot more constant rather than robot fights being well animated and everything else being tons of static shots.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information