+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

Default Re: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

I just saw Hacksaw Ridge and all I can say is wow. I did not know this dude's story until now and I'm glad I saw it.

Directed by Mel Gibson too. I guess between this and his latest acting role in a movie, Blood Father, he's trying to make a bit of a comeback. It's working well for him.

And if you read the facts about what happened in real life vs. the movie the movie has it 99.99999% right. The only reason why it's not 100% accurate is because Gibson decided to leave some of the heroics OUT fearing the audience wouldn't believe what they were seeing.

Fact Check (Contains Spoilers ): http://www.historyvshollywood.com/re...hacksaw-ridge/
    Everything's Eventual...

Rewatched Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, this time with the 90 minutes of deleted scenes and they make the movie a lot better. Moving from scene to scene is still kind of poor in some places, more so with the added scenes, but they help make a lot of scenes more understandable. This time I also recognized more characters that I must have not the first time around, as well has how the plot tied together. Interested in how the new season will compare to the movie.

Just finished Inland Empire. It actually was a bit more coherent than I was expecting from what I've heard about it but it still is a mindfuck of a film. I don't understand the decision to shoot it on basically video tape though and I don't really think it adds anything to the movie that the strange camera angles and extreme closeups don't. It's well made though, both visuals wise and atmosphere (which is pretty much tense the whole way through with some actually good scares) wise.

I just saw Jurassic Park III for the first time in 9 years or so and it was a giant piece of shit.

I remember watching it as a kid and later a teen, hating it for the T-Rex vs Spinosaurus scene, which still sucks, but with grown up eyes I noticed even more flaws that made it stick out even more in the franchise as the worst installment. The plot doesn't even make sense from the getgo, in the first few scenes Alan Grant says ''no force on heaven or earth'' can get him back to the dinosaur islands, only to a few scenes later be inverted by the Kirbys promising him a big check to be their guide on one of the islands to look for their son, several weeks after he go missing.

Which in it's own is probably the biggest sin for the entire franchise. The notion that for weeks, a 13 year old could survive on a dinosaur infested island, the likes of which a team full of armed mercenaries were killed of completely in a few days is even dumber than the raptor quadbike stuff in Jurassic World. But that is still dumb and awesome, not just plain dumb and unexplainable. Much like how this kid was able to gather a jar full of T-rex piss, Or how they were able to use a flashlight battery for a video camera, or how they were able to hear a ringing satelite phone inside the stomache of the Spinosaurus standing at least 20 yards away ( and said Spinosaurus being able to sneak up on them ).

The CG is garbage and the numerous close ups we get on dinosaurs looks so fake it's ridicolous, I'm talking almost CGI moose from that one American Pie movie bad. Even the practical effects and animatronics look terrible. The Spinosaurus moves in a very artificial and mechanical way, it doesn't take much observance to see it's just a robot, no amounts of camera angles or lighting manages to hide this. The only redeemable quality about this movie is Sam Neill's portrayal of Alan Grant. A couple of good scenes with him, but not worth revisiting for.

I watched Kung-fu Panda 3 the other day. I don't know why. But I liked it more than the second one. It to me was JK Simmons as a Kratos trapped in an ox body trying to eat the souls of pandas.

Action scenes were pretty cool. Extra fat pandas and the panda training montage was amusing. I didn't hate it. But I don't need to see it ever again either.

Schrödinger's Giraffe Wooden_Giraffe's Avatar

So the new Magnificent Seven is trash. Had next to no real character development, which left me feeling nothing when certain characters died. Oh well.
    On the plus side it finally inspired me to go out and buy Seven Samurai!

Eyes Wide Shut was definitely an interesting movie but it's pretty anticlimactic. And apparently

Spoiler:
    there are theories that a lot of the movie is a dream, which I don't like. I did laugh at the end though where the final word of the movie is "fuck".

I saw Arrival last night and it completely blew me away. Unexpected sci-fi movie of the year for me.

It's the type of hard sci-fi that trusts the intelligence of the viewer (if you can understand Inception, you can understand this movie), and is the kind of mystery movie that's better to see when you know little to nothing about the plot. I will say though, the methodical and scientific approach they take to the conflict is really intriguing to watch.

Beyond that, it's also the type of movie that is rewarding on a rewatch. I've only seen it once, but there's bits and pieces that resonate well with other parts of the film, and I couldn't stop thinking about the movie for hours afterwards.

I'm happy to be seeing more sci-fi films that don't over explain things and treats you just as any other high-brow Oscar-y "normal" film would.

^Sounds interesting from what little I know about it. I'll have to watch it soon.

I just finished Crash (1996) and liked it, though it kind of meanders without any clear story arc. Most movies off the top of my head that have car crashes in them don't really focus on the crash itself so it's interesting to have a movie that has some shown in detail.

I just watched 36th Chamber of Shaolin for the first time today.

Hidden:
    It was nice to watch. The fights are a little slow, but it's interesting to think off as a movie where Lau Kar Leung is still working on his style of choreography. It almost feels like a proto-Eight Diagram Pole Fighter. The story beats of "family and friends massacred" to "visit temple" to "return to save the day" are quite similar But overall I'd put Eight Diagram Pole Fighter above this movie. EDPF was a more tightly written and focused experience. This movie's more of a slow burn, but the story's interesting nonetheless. The portrayal of Han Chinese patriots vs Manchu rulers might seem a little off putting. There's a joke about Star Wars and 9/11, but the way the rebels in this movie are potrayed feels almost close to ISIS.

And the final battle takes place in that place. That little grassy cliff where you can see a beautiful view of the mountains, the rivers and the towns below. The same one from the opening scene of Drunken Master, another movie released in the same year as this. Speaking of Drunken Master, Yuen Siu Tien shows up as a monk for like 5 minutes, and that was awesome.

Watched Orson Welles' The Trial. Was a great movie and I'm surprised it's never mentioned as one of his better movies. It nailed the dream-like atmosphere it was going for. I remember not enjoying Citizen Kane too much but after watching this I'm more interested in rewatching it.

Just watched Arrival. Didn't enjoy it really. -_-' It started out pretty strong, if you've seen the trailers the aliens arriving and the learning to communicate with them and such were all pretty good "hard scifi", well, as hard as you can get with giant alien space ships that hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't. What destroys all that is what you could perhaps call the "twist" but I like to call "bleuuuuuuuurgh". :v

Watched Inland Empire for like the 4th or 5th time. Can't get enough of it. Probably my favorite Lynch movie by now. One hell of a ride.

Also watched the Room. I don't think I had seen it in full before. It's got some scenes that are worth making fun of over and over like people do, sure, but I am probably less inclined watch it many times to make fun of it like some people apparently do.

Finally got around to watching Mad Max: Fury Road. Very very disappointed. It looked cool in the trailers but, while the action scenes were pretty cool, I just really didn't enjoy the movie all that much. Part of it might have been how simple the plot was on top of the action scenes basically not having much to differentiate them. I'm pretty sure there's a way to make car combat interesting every time but this movie didn't really seem to do it, or at least well enough for me. So while they were a spectacle to watch it just got too repetitive.

Also what's the deal with it being rated R? It was a very very light R bordering on PG-13 (there's only really one scene I'd say is the reason that put it over into R, though I would still dispute that crossing into R territory) and maybe this is another reason I didn't like it as much as I imagined I would. It felt like it was holding back a lot for it being rated R. If they were going to be rated R anyway they should have beefed up the violence a bit rather than having it feel like it was cutting around it all the time.
    Last edited by Sakonosolo; December 24th, 2016 at 09:34 PM.

I watched Naked Lunch again, still a very impressive and thought provoking movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Finally got around to watching Mad Max: Fury Road. Very very disappointed. It looked cool in the trailers but, while the action scenes were pretty cool, I just really didn't enjoy the movie all that much. Part of it might have been how simple the plot was on top of the action scenes basically not having much to differentiate them. I'm pretty sure there's a way to make car combat interesting every time but this movie didn't really seem to do it, or at least well enough for me. So while they were a spectacle to watch it just got too repetitive.
    I disagree.
    Spikey cars attacking from all sides. Bikes attacking with molotov cocktails. Ramming. Ramming with spikes. Dudes using explosives. Dudes using improvised mines. Gatling guns. Flares to pinpoint the target. Dudes entering a truck from above with pylons. Dudes blowing gas into the air intake to overtake the target. And of course the thing every action movie does; shooting at the aforemented car.

I'm eager to watch the action movie who does this way better.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Doctor Strange. Started of strong, showed plenty of promise when the introduced magic, looked to be a great story of magical learning.... Aaaaaaaand rush through the education, villain incoming fuck it all we're back to bland Marvel bullshit with no worldbuilding other than the bare minimum. He learnt what, 3 spells in the whole movie? And the other people used maybe 2-3 other ones? Colour me dissapointed.

Shit movie, if only for all the lost potential.
    -_- o_o O_O ...Agree to disagree sounds about right. Holy moly.
    I'm such a bad person

Dogtooth

What the fuck. Weirdest movie concept I've ever seen.

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

I sat down and watched a double feature of affectionate parodies today. One for Dracula and the other for the Zombie Apocalypse genre of films.

First was Dracula Dead and Loving It, easily one of my favorite film adaptations of Dracula. While it does take afew liberties with the source material, as Dracula film adaptations tend to, it deviates to a lesser degree than one would expect from a comedy. It hits almost all of the major plot points of the book until towards the end. Jonathan and Mina are somewhat less relevant here than they are in the Bram Stoker novel, but fortunately I don't see that as a problem, seeing as they're given the most memorable scenes in the movie. So not a bad trade off. The way Leslie Nielsen delivers alot of his dialogue has a dry kind of humor to it, makes his take on Dracula pretty likeable honestly. At the same time, Dracula remains an unsympathetic monster, the movie doesn't downplay the menace of his actions very much.

The other movie was Shaun of the Dead, not just a good comedy, but a damn good example of how to do a competent Zombie Apocalypse film. What I like most about this movie is how the viewer is given very good insight on what kind of man Shaun is. The zombie outbreak is the vehicle that motivates Shaun to tap into potential that was always there. That makes the entire experience, as strange as it is, feel like an outward manifestation of the character. Also, as amusing as this movie is, I really enjoyed how it handled it's tragic and horrifying moments too.

The reason I picked these movies to watch back to back is worth mentioning. While both films poke fun at what they're based on, they both clearly have nothing but respect for where they come from. They both carry this goodwill from start to finish so it's very easy to get swept away by them. It felt really good to see these movies again, it's been awhile since the last time I saw them. I remembered they were a fun ride but I was starting to get alittle fuzzy on how enjoyable they actually are.

I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion. — Jun Fukuda

Watched two older movies recently I'd never seen before: Broadcast News and The Mask. Besides being surprised by Broadcast News having three future Pixar stars in it, I enjoyed the really interesting love triangle between Holly Hunter's driven news producer, her smart, cynical and eternal best friend in Albert Brooks, and William Hurt as the handsome, charismatic yet self-admitted dunce who catches her heart. The ending really threw me for a loop.

The Mask, I'll say simply, has not aged well.

Like the Avatar? / Like the Miis?
    3DS FC: 4468-0979-5223 / Wii U ID: JSHerstein

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information