+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

Default Re: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dragon View Post
    In what way is it like anime?
    The over the top characterization of some of the characters and the set pieces seem like they would at home in an anime to me.

I couldn't find the book The Right Stuff but I just watched the movie. It's three hours and twelve minutes long but I was wishing it was longer as it didn't get through all the astronauts of the Apollo program, and ended on the beginning of the mission with the most interesting re-entry. Fantastic movie though.

Watched John Wick 2 today and it's better than the original. The action sequences are amazing.

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

One of the first books I ever read was Where the Wild Things Are, I mostly just liked to look at the illustrations as a child. It wasn't until revisiting it years after I stopped reading it that I realized the reason why I enjoy monsters so much, all started with this book. The reason being that monsters are, at their core, stylized expressions of humanity.

The film isn't really an adaptation of the book at all, the story is just too simplistic to sustain a movie with a runtime of about 90 minutes. Instead it takes fundamental ideas from the book and uses them to tell its own story. Which I like, if you're going to sell people the same story more than once, what comes after the original work should distinguish itself from what came before. With that said, the movie makes for an interesting companion piece to the book.

There's alot more backstory for Max in the film than in the book. The focus on that for the first act does a great job setting up the tone of the movie and giving it perspective. I enjoy the contrast between both versions of Max. In the book Max doesn't get any backstory, but one can infer the book version is significantly less stressed out simply by how the Wild Things and their world is portrayed there. While the film version of the Wild Things are noticeably different from their counterparts in the book, they reveal insight into who Max is as a person in a similar way.

Both the book and the film present the idea of the Wild Things as escapism, while the book revels in that more, the movie uses it as a segue to underscore the development Max goes through later. Everything about the Wild Things in the film communicates the point that Max is not at peace with what's going on in his life. I think it was pretty gutsy to approach this material the way the movie does, certainly would've been safer to make this a more conventionally cheerful family friendly Hollywood movie.

An element of the book that I think is used effectively in the movie is how the line between reality and imagination is blurred. The Wild Things are brought to life by way of animatronic suits (supplied by Jim Henson's Creature Shop), and the island of the Wild Things was shot in real locations, so it all feels like a place that could actually exist somewhere. Plus I think the performance of the child actor benefited greatly from always having something to interact with in real time. I really like the Wild Things themselves, while they serve as obvious reflections of how Max feels about aspects of his life, they're not just projections of him. This gives the part of the movie that deals with them a dream-like quality, in that even though the Wild Things are a meditation on Max they are independent of him.

The movie is a surprisingly ambitious interpretation of a simple short story. I also think it works as a companion piece to the Pixar film Inside Out, as both explore themes that overlap. Although I must admit I prefer Where the Wild Things Are for a petty reason. The art direction of Inside Out is alittle too cutesy for my taste, but other than that I think it's a solid movie too.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPecans View Post
    The over the top characterization of some of the characters and the set pieces seem like they would at home in an anime to me.
    Nice, sounds like my kind of movie. Definitely going to have a look at this next time I have a movie night.
    I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion. Jun Fukuda

Just watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople. . .
    . . .man, Taika Waititi, with two movies and the two short Thor comedy bits is becoming like one of my favorite directors ever, and it's making me totally incapable of waiting for Thor Ragnarok; if they indeed let him do his thing, we're in for a treat.

As good as What We Do in the Shadows is, I think Hunt for the Wilderpeople is even better. It's this warm, human, hilarious and, at times, heart wrenching comedy that I don't think I was ready for.

It's just beautiful. It kinda broke me at times, but that's because I'm a bit emotional at the moment. Still, man. So many onions being peeled right under my nose.

Watch it. Now. Seriously. Do it.

Been watching all of the DVDs I own but haven't watched yet. Here are some quick thoughts.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - Very sexy and humorous action movie. It's a farce about a murder in Hollywood. Pretty much the definition of a fun movie - not something that will make you think or turn your brain off. Also its got a young Robert Downey Jr in it bringing the charm, so if you're sick and tired of Iron-Man, this movie will serve as a great reminder of how charming he can be.

The Pawnbroker (1964) - Very sad movie. Directed by Sydney Lumet, the director of 12 Angry Men and Dog Day Afternoon. This one predates both. Very somber. Its about a holocaust survivor who owns a pawn shop in Harlem. Great character actor Rod Steiger is a treasure in this movie. He really wears the tragedy on his face.

City of Lost Children (1995) - This movie will be for a lot of you, I'd imagine, though I got tired of it quickly. It's a French steam-punky fairy tail that isn't for most kids. It's got a great look, but the style wore on my nerves after a while. Worth the one watch though. Same director as Amelie.

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999) - This movie is the dope business. Forest Whitaker is directed by Jim Jarmusch in this film about an assassin who follows the code of bushido. It's sometimes slow paced, but just really cool and has some wicked kills in it. There are goofy gangsters and a French icecream peddler who is Ghost Dog's best friend even though they can't understand one another.

The Fisher King (1991) - This is another like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang that I can kinda recommend to anyone in any mood. Jeff Bridges is an asshole who accidentally causes a great misfortune to befall the head of Robin Williams, who he meets three years later as a homeless sort of Robin Hood character whop has basically lost his mind and wants to find the Holy Grail...in New York. Its sad and funny, but mostly just really freakin' touching.

Zodiac (2007) - I know everyones seen this, but I never had. Definitely a tense watch and funnier in places than I thought it would be. My second RDJ in two weeks.

Now Voyager (1942) - I'm a classic movie buff and even I found myself occasionally losing interest in this old Bette Davis classic. The dialogue is smart, and the romantic plot line actually does go somewhere interesting...but unless you're already inclined towards old Hollywood, this won't convert you. Try All About Eve instead.

La Strada (1954) - Had never watched a Felini film before so I didn't know what to expect. This movie was certainly not happy at all. It's about this waifish girl who is sold to a traveling strong man who berates her and makes her play the drum for him in his street performances. That said, the movie was pure magic. Especially the extremely expressive face of the main character, who turned out to be the director's wife.

Paris Je T'aime (2006) - Half way through this one. Started it last night. Not at all looking forward to finishing it. It's an anthology film where every film is directed by someone else and it's all romance. Pretty OKAY so far...but barf anyway.

Just watched the 2010 remake of Clash of the Titans.

Bleargh .... while the special effects were nice, the storytelling was shitty. Call me a fool for classic mythos but I really didn't like how much it differed from the mythology. I mean Zeus was known to rape/seduce women sure, but as a unrepentant womanizer. He didn't go take on a husband's form to seduce/rape the wife as to punish the guy as this movie has him do.

It may have been unintentional or intentional, I got the impression there was a lot of symbolism for atheism; the men who lost faith in/and attack, the gods and are being punished for it.

The overall story just fell flat and was unenjoyably. I will certainly not watch its sequel. In fact I need to go watch the classic original now just to get rid of that "wtf did I just watch" feeling.

i like john cena and randy playercena5241's Avatar

Theresa want me to watch Super Bad. SO FUNNY. Mcloving haha.

NEVER GIVE UP.
    STRAGHT EDGE MEANS I BETTER THAN U.

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    Just watched the 2010 remake of Clash of the Titans.

Bleargh .... while the special effects were nice, the storytelling was shitty. Call me a fool for classic mythos but I really didn't like how much it differed from the mythology. I mean Zeus was known to rape/seduce women sure, but as a unrepentant womanizer. He didn't go take on a husband's form to seduce/rape the wife as to punish the guy as this movie has him do.

It may have been unintentional or intentional, I got the impression there was a lot of symbolism for atheism; the men who lost faith in/and attack, the gods and are being punished for it.

The overall story just fell flat and was unenjoyably. I will certainly not watch its sequel. In fact I need to go watch the classic original now just to get rid of that "wtf did I just watch" feeling.
    I think there was someone in Greek mythology that did take the form of the husband to sleep with the wife but I could be thinking of something else. And you're right that it wasn't Zeus. The original movie also takes some liberties with the mythos though I'm sure the new one does it more. I really like the original and the remake looked stupid even from the trailer.

Saw American History X a few days ago. Good movie with some great dialogue, though I feel the establishment and change of the characters' motivations happened a bit too easily. And I think Ebert hit the nail on the head when he said, "Its underlying structure is too apparent, and there are scenes where we sense the movie hurrying to touch its bases."

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    I think there was someone in Greek mythology that did take the form of the husband to sleep with the wife but I could be thinking of something else. And you're right that it wasn't Zeus. The original movie also takes some liberties with the mythos though I'm sure the new one does it more. I really like the original and the remake looked stupid even from the trailer.
    Zeus did take the husbands form when he slept with Alecme? Alcemene, the mother of Hercules. But it was because he was a womanizer not to punish the husband for some misdeed.
    In myth Zeus transformed into a shower of gold to visit Danae the daughter of Acrisius, King of Argos.(movie had her the WIFE) And she was locked away because there was a prophesy that her son would kill Acrisius.

Irony is that Heracles is both the great-grandson (on Alcemene's side) and half-brother (by Zeus) to Perseus.

Another ripoff of myths the movie does not even remotely portray is Io,
    In movie= she's cursed with immortality after she refused the advances of a god(they don't say who) and then love interest of Perseus in the movie.
    In myth= they never met AND she's an ancestor to Perseus and Heracles. Io was one of the many lovers of Zeus. To hide her from Hera's wrath Zeus transformed her into a cow, thought there are other versions that has Hera transforming her to the heifer.

About only think I did like in this version of the movie was Medusa. I remember some people hating it, something about her having moments of beauty or not hideous enough. Ironic they got the myths wrong of three characters but got this one right. Medusa was indeed a beautiful priestess that was raped by Poseidon, then Medusa was punished fore the rape (an early case of victim-blame) by the transformation to have hair of snakes and a visage that turn people to stone. So to me it wasn't out of the ordinary that they had a nice face ...when one wasn't looking at her... then would be hideous when turning them to stone (when they looked upon her)

I was watching the previews and they included one for the original and boy it still was enjoyable. Yes the special effects seem blocky at points and old but they are still good. I still got chills when the head of Hera's statue broke off and became animated (those were good effects) and the story telling was solid.

Time to watch that classic again
    Last edited by Katzztar; February 16th, 2017 at 02:07 PM.

You have to be careful; even when referring to the classical myths there are different versions over time. The Medusa story about being a beautiful girl who was raped and then transformed out of jealousy is not the original myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    You have to be careful; even when referring to the classical myths there are different versions over time. The Medusa story about being a beautiful girl who was raped and then transformed out of jealousy is not the original myth.
    True there are various forms event to the classics. What I have a problem with is when modern movies smash together myths so bad its unrecognizable as a myth.

No, I admit the earliest myths I've read had Medusa and her sisters born monstrous. Later myths, about 5th c BCE, had her be beautiful then raped and transformed.

John Wick is my jam!!!
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    John Wick is my jam!!!
    First? Second? Both??

Both, man, both! :D
    Everything's Eventual...

XX. The horror anthology.

Was pretty average. Nothing really stood out in any of the stories. And everyone but St. Vincent had experience in writing and directing movies so it should have been better. Cool to see St. Vincent writing and directing stuff though.

The Mountain That Drinks. Steven D. Teach's Avatar

Wow am I glad I missed the LaLaLand argument. I don't wanna get into it, but I'm on Mario's side. Fantastic movie. I'm from L.A., though, so it hit me in the dick.

I came here to bitch about the fact that John wick 2 doesn't come out in Japan until July. Fuck that so hard. Fuck that.
    Last edited by Steven D. Teach; February 19th, 2017 at 05:44 PM.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steven D. Teach View Post
    Wow am I glad I missed the LaLaLand argument. I don't wanna get into it, but I'm on Mario's side. Fantastic movie. I'm from L.A., though, so out hit me in the dick.

I am so glad that I'm not alone in having that opinion after trying to defend myself for so long lol.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

The Mountain That Drinks. Steven D. Teach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post

I am so glad that I'm not alone in having that opinion after trying to defend myself for so long lol.
    One of the best movies I've seen in a long time, I'm with ya bro. It just felt like magic. Give it all the awards.

Just do it while I try and find this goddamn wick stream.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information