+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

Default Re: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

I know it's not out yet so no one here has watched it unless they go to those movie festivals or what not but keep an eye out for Baby Driver coming out in August.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/baby_driver

It's looking to be one of those sleeper hits that not a lot of people see because it sounds too generic. Looks fun to me.
    Everything's Eventual...

Edgar Wright. That's all people need to know about Baby Driver to get hyped.

Just watched Life. Pretty good movie. One of the better sci-fi movies I've seen recently. The first (or after the opening minute or so) 10 or so minutes of the movie are done in one take or seemingly one take too, which I thought was cool.

Saw Logan a few days ago. I found it fairly enjoyable until the kid started talking.

And then there were even more kids, and they all chattered non-stop. Ugh.

Also suffers from the old "the only thing the villains have are twelve dozen guys with machine guns" problem.

So i went and saw beauty and the beast tonight. And i gotta say that i enjoyed it.

I very much liked how it dared to just be a fairly simple song and dance movie.

And that Gaston was just the Gaston-iest Gaston ever

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

Saw a personal favorite vampire movie of mine again today. It's a remake of the F.W. Murnau film "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror" made in 1922, which was itself one of the first film adaptations of Bram Stoker’s novel "Dracula". I've seen the 1922 film, sadly I have trouble engaging with films from the silent era on their own terms. So it's very fortunate that a quality remake like "Nosferatu the Vampyre", directed by Werner Herzog, exists. This remake pays homage to the 1922 silent film and the Bram Stoker story both movies are based off of, and still manages to be something distinct.

The most obvious observation one can make about this film is how it looks. This movie is shot with the intent to create a foreboding ambience, it's quite visually striking on a number of occasions.

While all the major characters from the Bram Stoker novel are accounted for. Dracula, Johnathan, and Lucy are the most important here, at first. As the film progresses, the focus shifts more on Dracula and Lucy specifically.

Lucy's relationship to Johnathan and how it relates to Dracula is interesting. It's made clear that Lucy loves her husband Johnathan unconditionally, while Johnathan does not return that affection with as much passion. With that in mind, i'm left with the impression that Dracula is, among other things, the personification of a bankruptcy that exists in that relationship. Having Lucy alone be the one to confront the crisis Dracula presents was a cool artistic license too, the 1922 silent film used a similar idea but it's used to greater effect in the remake, one of the best elements of the film.

The interpretation of Dracula in this movie is both familiar and fresh simultaneously. In that it is a combination of the more horrific image of the vampire, as seen in the film by F.W. Murnau the remake is directly inspired by. Alongside the romanticized image Hollywood seems to prefer. The union of the two extremes in this incarnation of Dracula, has the effect of making his predicament sympathetic because the audience is shown, in great detail, why it's a lousy deal. Rather than having Dracula whine about it and just taking his word for it. While at the same time, making a strong case for why Dracula is a menace that must be dealt with. This film doesn't idealize Dracula at all, the best way I can describe his character in this, without going into too much detail, is someone experiencing hell on earth. Who drags everyone else down along with him.

I find this film skews more towards tragedy than horror. It doesn't have much in the way of outright gory violence, instead there is a sobering motif of personal loss throughout. Which is not to say there isn't a body count, because there is, the movie just indulges in that sparingly.

I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion. — Jun Fukuda

Saw Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them this past weekend.

A fun and charming movie with some really inventive monster designs. But man, Newt Scamander just left no impression on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dragon View Post
    Saw a personal favorite vampire movie of mine again today. It's a remake of the F.W. Murnau film "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror" made in 1922, which was itself one of the first film adaptations of Bram Stoker’s novel "Dracula". I've seen the 1922 film, sadly I have trouble engaging with films from the silent era on their own terms. So it's very fortunate that a quality remake like "Nosferatu the Vampyre", directed by Werner Herzog, exists. This remake pays homage to the 1922 silent film and the Bram Stoker story both movies are based off of, and still manages to be something distinct.
    Never seen the version you're talking about but I think Nosferatu is great (and better than the 1930 Dracula movie) so if it's a good update I might watch it at some point.

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Never seen the version you're talking about but I think Nosferatu is great (and better than the 1930 Dracula movie) so if it's a good update I might watch it at some point.
    Cool, i'm just so used to more modern films going that far back is alittle rough for me. Yeah "Nosferatu the Vampyre" tends to fly under the radar. Probably because it isn't a Hollywood production, it comes from Germany just like its predecessor. I hope you do decide to give it a look, I would appreciate a different point of view on it. Positive or negative.

I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion. — Jun Fukuda

Getting close I think to finishing Lynch's filmography. Watched Wild At Heart the other day. I like Laura Dern and she was good in the movie. It was really cheesy though, but not really in a bad way. Wasn't really what I was expecting after reading the summary though.

Cry Wilderness was amazingly bad, in all the best ways. I'm shocked that almost no one discovered it before MST3K did.

Watched a documentary on Prohibition by Ken Burns. Wonderful little flick, tells you a lot about the second stupidest decision America ever made.

(First is Slavery)
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Everyone NEEDS to go see & support Colossal.

Amazing, amazing, amazing.

Novel I'm working on: The Dutchman
    Chapters Completed: 0
    Concepts to Complete: Plot Summary, Character Biographies
    Twitch / Blogspot

Schrödinger's Giraffe Wooden_Giraffe's Avatar

Finally sat down and watched Lawrence of Arabia. I can definitely see why it won awards and I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. Peter O'Toole was pretty good, though sometimes acted oddly, not sure if that was in character or just him. Omar Sharif was fantastic, and then of course Alec Guinness is just too British to play a man from the Middle East, try as he might the accent just wasn't cutting it. Normally i'd just chalk it up to it being a movie of that era, but with every other character being more convincing in both accent and appearance it's hard to let it go.

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues' Gallery View Post
    Everyone NEEDS to go see & support Colossal.

Amazing, amazing, amazing.
    Agreed!
    Beware: the trailers aren't as upfront about the actual tone of the movie. Its alot darker and more...personal than they suggest. Still a great movie tho.

Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

I saw the Beauty and the Beast remake with my gf.

Spoiler:
    ...Why did the witch give the Beast a magical map that can teleport him anywhere in the world?
    Why did Gaston join the furniture in fighting off the townspeople?
    Why did the writers blame the prince's servants for not standing up to his abusive stepfather?
    Why is Clockworth now in an unhappy, potentially abusive marriage?
    Why did Belle's mother die of the Black Plague, and why was her house in Paris abandoned for decades after?
    Why is the wardrobe so creepy now?

Formerly Vegard Aune Lord Starfish's Avatar

Your Name, aka that Makoto Shinkai anime movie that has been getting ALL THE HYPE in the past several months...

Absolutely spectacular. After all that hype I thought there was no way it could live up to it but that might just be the best movie I've seen all year.
    Yibis One Piece Fansubs
    http://yibis.com - #yibis@irc.rizon.net

Wow, you got me interested in that movie real quick. I just saw the trailer and will be looking for it soon.
    Everything's Eventual...

Saw The Dark Knight last night, to study the themes of the movie and how to make a character like the Joker work. Apart from a few scenes, that made me confused, I thought this movie, still, to this day, is by far the best superhero movie ever made. And the best one that probably will ever get made. Understanding a bit more of the american justice system also helped me grasp the Harvey Dent storyline a lot better.

Stuff that confused me:
    Spoiler:

In the beginning of the movie, when Batman is chasing the Chechen and the Scarecrow, for whatever reason he sticks some kind of can opener in the side of the van he's hanging onto. He slashes through the car's plate and is then thrown of the car when he hits a pillar. What I wonder is, what the point was off all that? Was he going to cut through the entire wall of the car, get in and then disarm the scarecrow? And if that's the case, couldn't he just open the door and jump in?

I didn't understand the point of him doing fingerprint analysis on that bullet he found in the wall. And the fact that he used that turret gun to shoot into different bricks in the batcave. One can assume it was done to find out the identity of the Joker's henchmen and it seems like he finds out about Tomas Schiff through it. But still, that's all? That's the payoff from that scene? Didn't really transition well for me.

I always knew Lau was sitting atop of the money pile the Joker burned. But it didn't show him up close. And when he burned to death, you don't hear so much as an anxious scream from him. In my first viewing, I wondered what the Joker did to me.

Also, another thing that bothered me slightly is that we didn't get any good insight to how the Joker find his henchmen and how they somehow managed to be all over the place all the time. A bit of a clarification on how the Joker was planning stuff would have been great. Cause it kinda bothered me how the Joker's thugs got on top of the major's office roof with a dead body and managed to throw it down all that way. Still, this is something I would say plays really well into the Joker's mystery.

Nonetheless, the movie is without a doubt an A++. Thoroughly flooring how much detail went into evey scene and how every plotpoint manages to culminate in such an amazing way.

Big Mom>Kaido ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar

Finally got around to watching Kung Fu Panda 3 tonight. The first two movies had my expectations set RIDICULOUSLY high, and it is with utter delight that I can say this movie met that bar.

Spoiler:
    Apart from possibly being the most beautiful Dreamworks movie I've ever seen, plot-wise this film was everything sequels should be. It retained the spirit of the first two with occasional clever throwbacks, but actually had the characters progress and cover new ground. I had worried that the quest to find chi would just be another MacGuffin in the same vein as inner peace in the last movie, but it factors into so much of the movie's plot that once Po achieved it, it felt really triumphant. The main characters all feel like they've grown, and aren't just rehashes of their old selves (except for the occasional Mantis joke, which are always gold). It was interesting how the goal of this movie actually had a greater resemblance to the first one, with Po having to teach the pandas to play to their strengths just like Shifu did to him.

Two of the best characters in the film are Ping and Li Shang, Po's adoptive and real dad, as they get several powerful moments exploring their relationships to Po and trying to find the best way to be a part of his life in the midst of all these changes. Both have some moments of regret, and some heartwarming moments of reconciliation.

While none of the new characters really manage to be scene stealers, the pandas are all really entertaining and don't suffer from too much exposure. There's Mei Mei, the little girl who idolized Tigress, the big guy (well, he felt a bit weird at times), and just everyone else with so much bubbly and fun personalities. I can especially identify with their hatred of stairs.

However, the film falls short in two regards: the plot structure and the villain. The film's plot takes quite a while to get going, and doesn't spend enough time with the important moments. It's also only an hour and a half, and so could have benefited from more length. I'm not usually too fond of the liar revealed plot, but this one was done so subtly and had a such a well-written climax that I couldn't hate it too much. HOWEVER, it takes up far too much of the movie, finally ending around the hour mark when we only have 30 minutes left. We hadn't even gotten to Po training all the pandas like the trailer focused on! The training scenes were well written, but were ultimately so brief that I initially had a hard time buying the pandas in the final battle, especially when they took out all the zombie kung fu masters (that earlier gave actual kung fu masters a fight for their life). Special mention goes to the Shifu zombie being overpowered by the danger dad duo. C'mon, I know the guy's retiring, but he's been worfed enough...

Finally, the villain, Kai. Unlike the other elements of this film, the dude did not really live up to his predecessors, Tai Lung and Shen. He retains the great humor, but mostly lacks the menace that the previous two had. And with such cool weapons, to boot! The guy is so affable when we first meet him that I couldn't buy into his strength, and though he did have some very good moments later on (such as wrecking the Jade Palace and his confrontation with Po outside the panda village), but those scenes aren't enough to save his villainy. A central reason for that is that we barely get anything about his past, which sold Tai Lung's and Shen's characters so well because it gave them a personal connection to a protagonist. Kai's special connection is with Oogway, which doesn't work because A) Their past is so vague and bland and B) Oogway is dead and doesn't appear in most of the movie. So ultimately, while Kai's character is not completely bad, the combination of his lack of threatening aura and lack of background makes him vastly inferior to Tai Lung and Shen (I mean come on, Shen is a peacock and they made him look threatening! Kai is a fucking yak and seems mostly content to yak around.)

Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd rank the three movies due to them all having completely different features that I liked. Honestly, I think I would say this movie is my favorite, due to capturing the spirit of the first one and taking it to greater heights. Numbers 1 and 2 are not far behind, with 2 having the greatest villain of the three but having too many melodramatic moments for my liking.

If they ever make a fourth movie, I'm hoping the focus shifts from Po to the Furious Five. Not a prequel, but a POV sequel of them training under Po. A common weakness of all three of the movies is that the Five are often put in the background, so it would be great to get a movie where we can go in depth with their perspectives, why they trained in kung fu, what their motivations for protecting the valley are.

Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information