+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

Default Re: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

I know it's not out yet so no one here has watched it unless they go to those movie festivals or what not but keep an eye out for Baby Driver coming out in August.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/baby_driver

It's looking to be one of those sleeper hits that not a lot of people see because it sounds too generic. Looks fun to me.
    Everything's Eventual...

Edgar Wright. That's all people need to know about Baby Driver to get hyped.

Just watched Life. Pretty good movie. One of the better sci-fi movies I've seen recently. The first (or after the opening minute or so) 10 or so minutes of the movie are done in one take or seemingly one take too, which I thought was cool.

Saw Logan a few days ago. I found it fairly enjoyable until the kid started talking.

And then there were even more kids, and they all chattered non-stop. Ugh.

Also suffers from the old "the only thing the villains have are twelve dozen guys with machine guns" problem.

So i went and saw beauty and the beast tonight. And i gotta say that i enjoyed it.

I very much liked how it dared to just be a fairly simple song and dance movie.

And that Gaston was just the Gaston-iest Gaston ever

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

Saw a personal favorite vampire movie of mine again today. It's a remake of the F.W. Murnau film "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror" made in 1922, which was itself one of the first film adaptations of Bram Stoker’s novel "Dracula". I've seen the 1922 film, sadly I have trouble engaging with films from the silent era on their own terms. So it's very fortunate that a quality remake like "Nosferatu the Vampyre", directed by Werner Herzog, exists. This remake pays homage to the 1922 silent film and the Bram Stoker story both movies are based off of, and still manages to be something distinct.

The most obvious observation one can make about this film is how it looks. This movie is shot with the intent to create a foreboding ambience, it's quite visually striking on a number of occasions.

While all the major characters from the Bram Stoker novel are accounted for. Dracula, Johnathan, and Lucy are the most important here, at first. As the film progresses, the focus shifts more on Dracula and Lucy specifically.

Lucy's relationship to Johnathan and how it relates to Dracula is interesting. It's made clear that Lucy loves her husband Johnathan unconditionally, while Johnathan does not return that affection with as much passion. With that in mind, i'm left with the impression that Dracula is, among other things, the personification of a bankruptcy that exists in that relationship. Having Lucy alone be the one to confront the crisis Dracula presents was a cool artistic license too, the 1922 silent film used a similar idea but it's used to greater effect in the remake, one of the best elements of the film.

The interpretation of Dracula in this movie is both familiar and fresh simultaneously. In that it is a combination of the more horrific image of the vampire, as seen in the film by F.W. Murnau the remake is directly inspired by. Alongside the romanticized image Hollywood seems to prefer. The union of the two extremes in this incarnation of Dracula, has the effect of making his predicament sympathetic because the audience is shown, in great detail, why it's a lousy deal. Rather than having Dracula whine about it and just taking his word for it. While at the same time, making a strong case for why Dracula is a menace that must be dealt with. This film doesn't idealize Dracula at all, the best way I can describe his character in this, without going into too much detail, is someone experiencing hell on earth. Who drags everyone else down along with him.

I find this film skews more towards tragedy than horror. It doesn't have much in the way of outright gory violence, instead there is a sobering motif of personal loss throughout. Which is not to say there isn't a body count, because there is, the movie just indulges in that sparingly.

I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion. — Jun Fukuda

Saw Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them this past weekend.

A fun and charming movie with some really inventive monster designs. But man, Newt Scamander just left no impression on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dragon View Post
    Saw a personal favorite vampire movie of mine again today. It's a remake of the F.W. Murnau film "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror" made in 1922, which was itself one of the first film adaptations of Bram Stoker’s novel "Dracula". I've seen the 1922 film, sadly I have trouble engaging with films from the silent era on their own terms. So it's very fortunate that a quality remake like "Nosferatu the Vampyre", directed by Werner Herzog, exists. This remake pays homage to the 1922 silent film and the Bram Stoker story both movies are based off of, and still manages to be something distinct.
    Never seen the version you're talking about but I think Nosferatu is great (and better than the 1930 Dracula movie) so if it's a good update I might watch it at some point.

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Never seen the version you're talking about but I think Nosferatu is great (and better than the 1930 Dracula movie) so if it's a good update I might watch it at some point.
    Cool, i'm just so used to more modern films going that far back is alittle rough for me. Yeah "Nosferatu the Vampyre" tends to fly under the radar. Probably because it isn't a Hollywood production, it comes from Germany just like its predecessor. I hope you do decide to give it a look, I would appreciate a different point of view on it. Positive or negative.

I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion. — Jun Fukuda

Getting close I think to finishing Lynch's filmography. Watched Wild At Heart the other day. I like Laura Dern and she was good in the movie. It was really cheesy though, but not really in a bad way. Wasn't really what I was expecting after reading the summary though.

Cry Wilderness was amazingly bad, in all the best ways. I'm shocked that almost no one discovered it before MST3K did.

Watched a documentary on Prohibition by Ken Burns. Wonderful little flick, tells you a lot about the second stupidest decision America ever made.

(First is Slavery)
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information