+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Default Re: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Finally got around to watching Kung Fu Panda 3 tonight. The first two movies had my expectations set RIDICULOUSLY high, and it is with utter delight that I can say this movie met that bar.

Spoiler:
    Apart from possibly being the most beautiful Dreamworks movie I've ever seen, plot-wise this film was everything sequels should be. It retained the spirit of the first two with occasional clever throwbacks, but actually had the characters progress and cover new ground. I had worried that the quest to find chi would just be another MacGuffin in the same vein as inner peace in the last movie, but it factors into so much of the movie's plot that once Po achieved it, it felt really triumphant. The main characters all feel like they've grown, and aren't just rehashes of their old selves (except for the occasional Mantis joke, which are always gold). It was interesting how the goal of this movie actually had a greater resemblance to the first one, with Po having to teach the pandas to play to their strengths just like Shifu did to him.

Two of the best characters in the film are Ping and Li Shang, Po's adoptive and real dad, as they get several powerful moments exploring their relationships to Po and trying to find the best way to be a part of his life in the midst of all these changes. Both have some moments of regret, and some heartwarming moments of reconciliation.

While none of the new characters really manage to be scene stealers, the pandas are all really entertaining and don't suffer from too much exposure. There's Mei Mei, the little girl who idolized Tigress, the big guy (well, he felt a bit weird at times), and just everyone else with so much bubbly and fun personalities. I can especially identify with their hatred of stairs.

However, the film falls short in two regards: the plot structure and the villain. The film's plot takes quite a while to get going, and doesn't spend enough time with the important moments. It's also only an hour and a half, and so could have benefited from more length. I'm not usually too fond of the liar revealed plot, but this one was done so subtly and had a such a well-written climax that I couldn't hate it too much. HOWEVER, it takes up far too much of the movie, finally ending around the hour mark when we only have 30 minutes left. We hadn't even gotten to Po training all the pandas like the trailer focused on! The training scenes were well written, but were ultimately so brief that I initially had a hard time buying the pandas in the final battle, especially when they took out all the zombie kung fu masters (that earlier gave actual kung fu masters a fight for their life). Special mention goes to the Shifu zombie being overpowered by the danger dad duo. C'mon, I know the guy's retiring, but he's been worfed enough...

Finally, the villain, Kai. Unlike the other elements of this film, the dude did not really live up to his predecessors, Tai Lung and Shen. He retains the great humor, but mostly lacks the menace that the previous two had. And with such cool weapons, to boot! The guy is so affable when we first meet him that I couldn't buy into his strength, and though he did have some very good moments later on (such as wrecking the Jade Palace and his confrontation with Po outside the panda village), but those scenes aren't enough to save his villainy. A central reason for that is that we barely get anything about his past, which sold Tai Lung's and Shen's characters so well because it gave them a personal connection to a protagonist. Kai's special connection is with Oogway, which doesn't work because A) Their past is so vague and bland and B) Oogway is dead and doesn't appear in most of the movie. So ultimately, while Kai's character is not completely bad, the combination of his lack of threatening aura and lack of background makes him vastly inferior to Tai Lung and Shen (I mean come on, Shen is a peacock and they made him look threatening! Kai is a fucking yak and seems mostly content to yak around.)

Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd rank the three movies due to them all having completely different features that I liked. Honestly, I think I would say this movie is my favorite, due to capturing the spirit of the first one and taking it to greater heights. Numbers 1 and 2 are not far behind, with 2 having the greatest villain of the three but having too many melodramatic moments for my liking.

If they ever make a fourth movie, I'm hoping the focus shifts from Po to the Furious Five. Not a prequel, but a POV sequel of them training under Po. A common weakness of all three of the movies is that the Five are often put in the background, so it would be great to get a movie where we can go in depth with their perspectives, why they trained in kung fu, what their motivations for protecting the valley are.
    It's because of the flaws you pointed out that make me rank the movies as: 2>1>3. I recommend watching the two other films either right before or after 3 because watching 3 alone can make it seem like it was absolutely the best one. At least, that was how I felt. But I love all three movies, and 3 is definitely what a proper sequel should strive to be. Aside from the villain lol. Also:

Spoiler:

Is it too much to ask for one last-minute power-up that doesn't automatically come as a bonus package with character development? It still manages to work BECAUSE it feels like it was earned through said development, but I suppose I should give up after three movies lol.

Also, did you ever notice that as the movies progress, Po actually looks like the daydream version of himself in the epic daydream intro sequence of the first movie? In the second movie, he makes a cool entrance around the climax by wearing a rice hat too. All that's missing is that fancy sword he used lol.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    It's because of the flaws you pointed out that make me rank the movies as: 2>1>3. I recommend watching the two other films either right before or after 3 because watching 3 alone can make it seem like it was absolutely the best one. At least, that was how I felt. But I love all three movies, and 3 is definitely what a proper sequel should strive to be. Aside from the villain lol. Also:

Spoiler:

Is it too much to ask for one last-minute power-up that doesn't automatically come as a bonus package with character development? It still manages to work BECAUSE it feels like it was earned through said development, but I suppose I should give up after three movies lol.

Also, did you ever notice that as the movies progress, Po actually looks like the daydream version of himself in the epic daydream intro sequence of the first movie? In the second movie, he makes a cool entrance around the climax by wearing a rice hat too. All that's missing is that fancy sword he used lol.
    I actually watched the first movie yesterday, lol. Haven't seen the second one in a couple of years, though, so maybe my view of it will improve with another viewing. Not that I don't think it's already great.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    I actually watched the first movie yesterday, lol. Haven't seen the second one in a couple of years, though, so maybe my view of it will improve with another viewing. Not that I don't think it's already great.
    Gotcha. I love Lord Shen as a villain in Kung Fu Panda 2. Everything from his design, to backstory, to moral theme, to character depth, to Gary freaking Oldman's voice, and balance between seriousness and humor (Tai Lung was a great threat, but he didn't feel well rounded as a character) was the PERFECT balance. I think he's probably the only Dreamworks villain that reaches the heights of Disney antagonists.

I mean, MAYBE I should also count the Fairy Godmother in Shrek 2, but it's been years since I watched that movie lol.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

Gotcha. I love Lord Shen as a villain in Kung Fu Panda 2. Everything from his design, to backstory, to moral theme, to character depth, to Gary freaking Oldman's voice, and balance between seriousness and humor (Tai Lung was a great threat, but he didn't feel well rounded as a character) was the PERFECT balance. I think he's probably the only Dreamworks villain that reaches the heights of Disney antagonists.

I mean, MAYBE I should also count the Fairy Godmother in Shrek 2, but it's been years since I watched that movie lol.
    Yeah, my biggest problem with Tai Lung was that he was built up as nothing but a vengeful menace, and when he finally fought Po it felt really weird because, well, Po. Kai has the opposite problem. Shen was the great balancer of the three

Spoiler:

I watched Perfect Blue last night, a Japanese animated psychological thriller directed by Satoshi Kon (who has also worked on Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, and Paranoia Agent). It's easily one of the cleverest animated films I've seen in how well horror elements are built in and utilized, as well as the scene changes and realizations constantly blurring the reality of both the protagonist and the viewers themselves. It's also a good commentary on how messed up Japanese music idol work can be when it comes to cultural standards for the image of actors both on and off-stage. Not to mention some excellent utilization of how avatars/personas can manipulate how we are perceived in general, even on forums like this. I definitely recommend it.

Spoiler:

Just finished watching the Hercules movie by Brett Ratner with The Rock. It was a surprisingly fun popcorn flick, I didn't expect much, but it was alright. If only because Dwayne Johnson is so likeable and the rest of the cast does a good job with what they get. I would kind of had prefered if the movie maintained the campy tone it had in the beginning, but what the hoo-haa. Sort of enjoy the idea of a Hercules who's legends are actually just exagerated fables and that the movie subverts greek mythology tropes. The thing is that the movie really isn't smart enough to do that in a way that would make monsters and all that jazz less interesting. But oh well, I didn't regret watching it.

I watched Ikarie XB-1. Kind of didn't worth it, but I did my job as a future filmmaker to watch every movie there is in theater. So in the end it usually always worth it to watch a "classic". There was some good ideas.
    The movie is basically a Czechoslovak scie-fi movie that aired in 1963 (before most famous sic-fi movies). Takes place in space, people are searching aliens and shit.

Not to mention some excellent utilization of how avatars/personas can manipulate how we are perceived in general, even on forums like this.
    That's good to point out. Avatars are usually how people are perceived in forums, and also in a way how they want to be perceived.

well, if that's what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    That's good to point out. Avatars are usually how people are perceived in forums, and also in a way how they want to be perceived.

well, if that's what you meant.
    That's exactly what I meant lol. I'm glad that I typed that concisely enough to be understood properly. Not even just with the images we choose, but also the tied-in impression we want to make in our comments as well. Maintaining anonymous identities online that we can customize to our liking allows to form our own personas both reflective and contrasting to how we may act in real life with people face-to-face.

That's exactly what I meant lol. I'm glad that I typed that concisely enough to be understood properly. Not even just with the images we choose, but also the tied-in impression we want to make in our comments as well. Maintaining anonymous identities online that we can customize to our liking allows to form our own personas both reflective and contrasting to how we may act in real life with people face-to-face.
    Yes and don't forget the username. Anyway, it's like people who are changing their behavior when they change their social environment, from high-school to college(for instance), some might (if not all, when no one from high-school is in their college) suddenly change because they have the opportunity to. Well, you know that.

There are some characters in HunterxHunter who are interesting to look at when it comes to psychology. and btw Bergman made a movie called Persona (just pointing it out, I've seen it again recently at the theater, always nice to calmly watch some of his movies).

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Yes and don't forget the username. Anyway, it's like people who are changing their behavior when they change their social environment, from high-school to college(for instance), some might (if not all, when no one from high-school is in their college) suddenly change because they have the opportunity to. Well, you know that.

There are some characters in HunterxHunter who are interesting to look at when it comes to psychology. and btw Bergman made a movie called Persona (just pointing it out, I've seen it again recently at the theater, always nice to calmly watch some of his movies).
    Or the signature. And that is an apt analogy. What is scary is how people can take that control of how we wish to be perceived away from us (which is at times justified and other times corruptive), or indirectly manipulate our impressions while we can only watch.

There certainly are. Especially when it comes to their flaws, like how pridefully stubborn is to ridiculous unhealthy levels. Or Kurapika's obsession with vengeance. Or Hisoka in general.

That movie sounds intriguing from the premise I just read.

Welp this a rant about a movie I won't watch.

ALIEN:Covenant, don't know if mentioning broad character actions count as spoilers, BEWARE.

All the critics I know and trust say it is shit, aside from the visuals. Music is entirely from Alien 1. Action and suspense are not better than in any other movie before.
    Ridley Scott himself said that he heard the criticism about Prometheus and will adapt. Most people hated the dumb characters back then and guess what, they are even dumber in this movie.

The certainty of the aliens winning again in the end doesn't help either for making me watch it... I don't know, what happened to the franchise?
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

I liked Covenant. I just got back from watching it. I actually thought there weren't as many stupid character moments as in Prometheus, though they were still there at times. I liked it more than Prometheus.

Also the franchise I think has been off the rails since Aliens. I don't have the same reverence for that movie as a lot of other people and I think it moved too far away from what made the first movie great. The "franchise" has basically been one great movie and a bunch of decent movies so even if you think Prometheus and Covenant were worse there really wasn't much to ruin.

I don't know how true it is but I heard that Blomkamp's Alien movie has been canceled and Scott is going to be making the next few, which will retcon the third movie. I think that's a mistake (not retconning the third movie, but keeping the movie making all to himself), especially with so many people disliking his new entries in the series.

Mad Max Fury Road, black and chrome edition. It worthed it. Brings something different, might even be better in a way

Also yeah Covenant is a pathetic movie

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Also the franchise I think has been off the rails since Aliens. I don't have the same reverence for that movie as a lot of other people and I think it moved too far away from what made the first movie great. The "franchise" has basically been one great movie and a bunch of decent movies so even if you think Prometheus and Covenant were worse there really wasn't much to ruin.
    Sorta agree with you there. Although I'd place Aliens in the good category, in part because it did move away from Alien. Made it, like, its own film ya know. Basically my biggest problem with 3 and 4 is that they feel to much like an Alien/s.
    Also what made Prometheus sorta decent, I really liked the new alien thingies. Covenant was also... sorta decent. It also suffers from what I think the biggest problem with Prometheus, the "aliens created life on earth" nonsense.
    Although, I found Covenants biggest fault to be a couple of absolutely ridiculous fight-alien scenes.
    Spoiler:
    I can't be the only one who though the fight scenes with the lil' aliens was ridiculous? Right? Like, in the first I was like, just stomp on that thing! e____e

Quote Originally Posted by BWYYWLTGHR View Post
    Spoiler:
    I can't be the only one who though the fight scenes with the lil' aliens was ridiculous? Right? Like, in the first I was like, just stomp on that thing! e____e
    Spoiler:
    there are too many pathetic female characters in this franchise. In Covenant, they are all spending their time crying and being totally emotionally unstable. Too many directors think that seeing a woman cry makes the scene very deep and psychological, but no it doesn't, at all. My first instinctive reaction would indeed be to stomp on that shit too. Also, characters are as dumb as they were in Prometheus. For some reason they didn't even wear space suits... we quickly found out it was to let the poison get into them.

Also, the old robot wins against the one with 10years of updates somehow....

And, is Daniels dead? I didn't understand that point, is she dead? please someone tell me.

Just finished watching Raiders of the Lost Ark, which is the first Indiana Jones film I've seen. It was...OK? I didn't find myself caring about Indy's motivations and goals so much as the action scenes, which I very much enjoyed (though the same track playing in every action scene made me sick of it after a while). The fight choreography was splendid, and Indy looked like an actual human with decent fighting skills instead of an anime-style curb stomper. Though I neither take pleasure in nor am repulsed by gritty physical violence, so I'm not really sure what I felt during those kinds of fights. I also loved Marion and the creepy looking villain. I've gotta say though, that ending was a hell of an anticlimax, I know it would've been hard to top the fight/getaway earlier but it just felt unremarkable I guess.

Spoiler:

Had a double feature of Jason Bourne and MI:Ghost Protocol

The former was a good though it felt a bit weird how they took out Dewey before the climax so the next few minutes involves Bourne settling scores with the asset (whose name we never learn). Curious to see how things would play out in a potential sequel.

Ghost Protocol been meaning to watch this (for awhile) and came into this after having already watched Rogue Nation (and more or less spoiling myself on TV Tropes)
    First off did not care for the intro which spoils most of the movie, Second the main antagonist was.....not really as developed as the antagonists of the other films, The Sequence involving the dead agent could've been more thought out instead of us being treated to the last few minutes of that operation and then us being treated to the remainder (the opening of it) after the fact heck it could've been the opening instead.

The whole bit with the nuke launch seems to conveniently and somehow disregarded the U.S. launching a retaliatory nuke in kind (guess it would've been hard for Ethan and his team to stop two nuke launches at once).

Aside from those issues it was a good film in particular I liked the comedy bits (which do come off a bit jarring compared to tones of the previous films) also liked how the movie sets up Rogue Nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Watched Blue Velvet yesterday and liked it a lot more after having experienced more of Lynch's stuff. It's more straightforward than his other movies but still has the surreal touch to it.

Watched Hour of the Wolf today and I'm starting to get a grasp of Bergman's style. It's generally pretty surreal as well, and this movie had some interesting camera work that added to that dream/nightmare like feeling.

Finally saw Moonlight. Real powerful stuff and extraordinarily well-acted. Not sure how to feel about the ending though in that it feels like it kinda just...ends.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information