+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

Default Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

just watched a movie? you wanna review it\ramble about it? here is the place.

i just watched Prometheus for the first time and i loved it.
    Spoiler:
    the CGI was very good and the space ships looked wonderful and i liked how the wayland corporation was explored more and we got to know it's creator.
    the engineers were a very interesting race and i liked how it was shown at the beginning of the film that we evolved out of the cells of one of them, perhaps that's why they hated us and wanted to kill us with that black goo, because we look like them too much.
    i really wanted to know more about them and what exactly killed them 3000 years before the events of the movie, it must be a creature that came from the black goo but i wanted to see it. i hope they get explored more in the sequel.
    the human characters were mostly horror movie fodder and not all very interesting. i only really cared about david the robot, idris elba's character and the main character.
    charlize theron's character was very disappointing imo, she was getting explored and there was definitely something between her and her father but she died before we got anything substantial. i thought the main character was very good, i liked how she was able to save herself on several occasions. i hope they set her up to be the next ridley.
    what else...
    oh yeah the black goo and the aliens origins. i didn't like how there wasn't one particular threat to the humans, but i guess they did manage to make it thrilling by introducing several threats, and later on, human antagonists.
    the black goo was so fucking weird, it seems to transform anything it touches into a parasitic creature that wants to put it's proboscis into your mouth. it transformed worms into mini face huggers and a man into a zombie, and made the main character give birth to a fucking squid.
    said squid was actually the alpha face hugger that gave birth to the aliens, it's kinda disappointing. i always thought the aliens were exotic creatures that pre dated humans, so making them come indirectly from a human, made them... less scary imo. also, i hope that alien is only what comes from engineers and not all aliens are gonna look like that in the sequels. it doesn't look nearly as good as the old ones.

ramble over. sorry for the text wall lol.

Default Re: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

Nice thread idea.

Recently watched the Feast trilogy and Tusk within two days. Those films were brain-damaging bad, but nasty, funny, gory and pukey as F, for people who dig that kind of thing. Thanks to the "cool" effects and the bad acting I guess I've seen everything now.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

Rewatched City of God for the third time recently,
    Spoiler:
    an excellent, gritty Brazilian crime drama series, the characters were tragic, sick sociopaths and down right frightening (Lil ZE) for example.
    Excellent cinematography and it's tv series (City of men) isn't as good as the film.
    My favourite character was Knockout Ned.

My 2nd favourite crime drama film after Goodfellas.

Deadpool
    Hidden:
    Saw this in the cinema and I loved it so much I now have it on Bluray. The film was just as good the second time around. The jokes were on point, the characters well developed. The style very fitting for Deadpool and I loved all the little easter eggs dotted around. Plus for once a relationship despite the laughs felt genuine

Deadpool is the best comic book movie ever, i loved it and watched it 4 times. i really liked how they edited it to begin from the middle, go into the backstory, then continue to the end. that is very under used storytelling method in movies and it made deadpool continually action packed. the dialogue was gold, i found myself laughing at the most of jokes just because of the delivery. "your poor wife!", "you're clowning, you're not clowning. i sense clowns" can't wait for the sequel!

Formerly Vegard Aune Lord Starfish's Avatar

Batman V Superman:
    "Piece of shit." What else is there to say? (Well, actually quite a lot but it's been said better by countless people before me.)

And a few days before that I saw Man of Steel, which was actually better than I'd expected. I keep seeing complaints about all the death and destruction in the climactic battle, but honestly? In the context of the movie I had very little issue with it. I mean the movie as a whole still had its share of problems, but it was one HELL of a lot better than its sequel at least.
    Yibis One Piece Fansubs
    http://yibis.com - #yibis@irc.rizon.net

Just watched Eraserhead and tbh i have very mixed feelings about it, it doesn't really have a story and seems to have been made just to fuck with the viewer's mind. Disturbing imagery comes and goes randomly in this movie and at the end it's ramped up to 11. Yet, you really can't look away. You want to see what else is David Lynch is gonna throw at you. I'm told there's hidden symbolism in this movie, i have failed to interpret any of it however, so idk, it might have made more sense if i have...

Quote Originally Posted by Hanz View Post
    I'm told there's hidden symbolism in this movie, i have failed to interpret any of it however
    Some people say whole movie is a metaphor for struggling with OCD and a journey into mind of a man crippled by anxiety. It made some sense to me, and I felt kinda better afterwards. Not that I had an urge to rewatch it ever since though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanz View Post
    Just watched Eraserhead and tbh i have very mixed feelings about it, it doesn't really have a story and seems to have been made just to fuck with the viewer's mind. Disturbing imagery comes and goes randomly in this movie and at the end it's ramped up to 11. Yet, you really can't look away. You want to see what else is David Lynch is gonna throw at you. I'm told there's hidden symbolism in this movie, i have failed to interpret any of it however, so idk, it might have made more sense if i have...
    David Lynch are very cinematic-language based movies. The basic surface plot is nothing but a tool used to explore deeper ideas through cinematography.

Just saw The BFG. Wish the movie did better in theaters because it deserved better than the reception and attention it got.
    Everything's Eventual...

Just watched Gomorrah and i loved it. It's a very bleak and de glamorized look on gangsters and the state of Italy. The movie does an excellent job of showing how children are sucked into gangs and how they reach a point were return is no longer possible. I liked some of the characters, the grocery kid and the two scarface wannabe kids. But i didn't feel connected to the character with the garbage dumping subplot, i know it's a pretty serious problem in there but i wasn't as interested in that subplot as much as of the other characters.

I liked how the slums were excellently shot, it's almost felt like you were there yourself. great movie overall.

Ocean Waves.

In my opinion, this is by FAR the worst movie Studio Ghibli has ever produced, and easily one of the worst films I've seen this year. Almost nothing about it was likeable. The plot was meandering and pointless, the direction was astoundingly dull, the music was bad, and... oh god... these characters. There are few words to describe what selfish, manipulative, unpleasant, awful people these characters are, and I spent the entire movie wishing that something truly awful would happen to one of them, just to get their insipid, petty lives in perspective. Nearly everything that has made Ghibli great, Ocean Waves found a way to ruin. As for good things about it, I guess I could say that the vaguely non-linear structure was interesting, and it was easily one of the most accurate depiction of high schoolers that I've ever seen... but even that, I would call a negative. I just so, so badly wanted this movie to stop. Tales from Earthsea was a masterpiece compared to this.

Shaun The Sheep: The Movie.

An animated movie that can be told without any dialogue nowadays is interesting and the Stare Dog was funny as hell, though the amnesia plot is kinda overplayed it.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Too Diluted for School The Tenth Strawhat's Avatar

Treasure Planet

I can't believe I never saw this when I was a kid, but I saw Sinbad instead (that movie was great too). This movie combines two of my favorite things, pirates and science fiction, and I just learned that this movie is a space version of Treasure Island, a book that pretty much popularized everything we know about pirates. I love everything about this movie, the story, art, visuals, music, characters, EVERYTHING. The fact that the movie had a planned sequel only to have failed at the box office just shows how underappreciated this movie is. If you haven't seen this movie yet, stop reading this and watch it right now, If you've seen it already, watch it again, it's that good.
    The faces of a Straw Hat.

Zootopia It was cute, well animated, and overall a good movie. Just didn't think it was any better than the past few Disney Movies. I do think the "are you scared of me" scene is rather potent though. I was shocked by the amount of actual adult humor and imagery in the movie. And I'm still kind of weirded out by how much of the point of the movie was that they're anthropomorphic. It works for the in-universe plot, but it acts like we never had movies with antrho's before.

Just saw Defending Your Life.

It's definitely a cute fluffy movie, but it really is very delightful and enjoyable. Some of the writing's a bit hackneyed by today's standards and I wish the romantic subplot had been developed a little more, but it's an overall very satisfying picture and there's a lot of really clever dialogue. It's streaming on Netflix now and I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

Reservoir Dogs.

Definitely the kind of grim, character-driven fun that I really like. The pacing and even the overall tone of the film made it feel like I was watching a play, which, as a theatre guy myself, I very much appreciated. I don't know if I would say it's as refined as Tarantino's later works, but at the same time, that also makes it one of the most pure, and that makes it great in its own right. I also really liked the nonlinear kind of storytelling, and that even though we didn't exactly see everything chronologically or even conventionally, it still followed a clear structure. I have no idea how I took so long to see this, particularly since it has such an obvious influence on other things that I like.

In The Heart of The Sea. It was surprisingly good, don't know why it bombed and critics hated it. Yeah some of the CGI and green screen effect was a bit shoddy at times but that didn't take me out of the movie too much. The story is based on the Essex whaling ship incident with the whale, i honestly can't tell you if it's historically accurate but i thought it was well done. I liked the subtle animal rights message in the movie
    Spoiler:
    when the first mate Chase killed a whale he looked sad, and when he was presented with the chance to kill the whale who destroyed his ship, he didn't do it.
    Chris Hemsworth was good here, but he wasn't given anything very challenging to work with. His character was likeable and the rest of the characters were okay too, even the asshole captain developed nicely throughout their struggles. I don't think i had my fill of movies about the dangers of the sea, so i think I'm gonna see that George Clooney movie "Perfect Storm" and one of the Moby Dick adoptions, if you guys know of a good movie about this theme please recommend it to me :)

i like john cena and randy playercena5241's Avatar

Theresa has me watch BACK IN THE FUTURE on netflix. it was so funny. GO MARTY.

NEVER GIVE UP.
    STRAGHT EDGE MEANS I BETTER THAN U.

Just watched Halloween for the first time yesterday. It was an excellent thriller - surprisingly light on the gore and jump-scares that I'd expect from a slasher movie, and with an excellent cast.

Hoping to also watch Halloween 2 and Rocky Horror Picture Show for the first time. I also saw Evil Dead 2 for the first time a couple of weeks ago; just trying to catch up on Halloween-themed movies.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information