• Nets

1 7.69%
  • Sixers

1 7.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NBA Snoozefest 2016-2017

Default Re: NBA Snoozefest 2016-2017

In other news, the Wizards clinched a division title for the first time in 38 years, the longest division title drought in US Sports.

*blinks*

yeah, save some energy for the playoffs guys...

Spoiler:

Classy reaction though ;)

It's nonetheless impressive how well the Warriors managed to adapt to the no-KD situation or rather, they went back to the team they were last season. It's gonna be fun to see them adapt *again* to KD returning soon-ish lol

Best lottery odds clinched!! This actually makes me feel better after getting crushed in a national TV back-to-back.

Time to get screwed over by ping-pong balls on the way to the #4 pick!

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

Russell Westbrook has made history. 42 triple doubles in a single season. I never thought I'd see Big O's record broken in my lifetime. It'll be a travesty if he dosen't win MVP this season.

^and to round it off, he won the game with a buzzer beater.

If he is not going to win MVP I'm furious. It would be like blowing a 26-point lead in comparison..

I'm almost on the complete opposite of the spectrum here. Harden deserves it more. I won't go as far as say that I'd be distraught if Westbrook wins though. I acknowledge that the race is close.

Just because of Westbrook's triple double average, apparently Harden's numbers aren't worth mentioning. I doubt many people even know what he's putting up for the season. The only decent argument against Harden is that he's averaging more turnovers a game in less possessions than Westbrook. The other advantage people talk about are the rebounds, but there's many videos out there about Westbrook slacks off on defense to chase boards.

Harden isn't a top 2 seed like the vast majority of MVPs in NBA history, but this year his 3rd place Rockets are also 3rd league-wise. Yes, the disappointing seasons from the Cavaliers and Clippers are part of the Rockets' placement, but give credit where it's due. They've been an elite team this season. The Thunder are 6th in the West and only 10th league wide. That's a massive difference. Barely scraping the top third of the league is good, but not elite. Not even close.

I also don't get when people say that the Rocket's supporting cast are leagues better than the Thunder's cast. Is that why everyone had them as a fringe playoff team at best? There's nobody besides Harden that is close to an All-Star level. Maybe Gordon is top.....15 at his position? Yeah, Harden's got some amazing teammates.

The end vote will be pretty close I'm sure. I would be disappointed if Westbrook won, but not surprised at all. If only we didn't have to find out the results so damn late this year.

Quote Originally Posted by NateRich View Post
    I'm almost on the complete opposite of the spectrum here. Harden deserves it more. I won't go as far as say that I'd be distraught if Westbrook wins though. I acknowledge that the race is close.

Just because of Westbrook's triple double average, apparently Harden's numbers aren't worth mentioning. I doubt many people even know what he's putting up for the season. The only decent argument against Harden is that he's averaging more turnovers a game in less possessions than Westbrook. The other advantage people talk about are the rebounds, but there's many videos out there about Westbrook slacks off on defense to chase boards.

Harden isn't a top 2 seed like the vast majority of MVPs in NBA history, but this year his 3rd place Rockets are also 3rd league-wise. Yes, the disappointing seasons from the Cavaliers and Clippers are part of the Rockets' placement, but give credit where it's due. They've been an elite team this season. The Thunder are 6th in the West and only 10th league wide. That's a massive difference. Barely scraping the top third of the league is good, but not elite. Not even close.

I also don't get when people say that the Rocket's supporting cast are leagues better than the Thunder's cast. Is that why everyone had them as a fringe playoff team at best? There's nobody besides Harden that is close to an All-Star level. Maybe Gordon is top.....15 at his position? Yeah, Harden's got some amazing teammates.

The end vote will be pretty close I'm sure. I would be disappointed if Westbrook won, but not surprised at all. If only we didn't have to find out the results so damn late this year.
    Harden's team performs a lot better without him than westbrook's though
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    Spoiler:

The Thunder don't really have another playmaker besides Westbrook, but I feel like there could be a correlation between his record-breaking usage rate and the team's struggles with him on the bench. Maybe nobody else is used to having the ball.

Western Conference
    1. Golden State
    2. San Antonio
    3. Los Angeles (+1)
    4. Houston (-1)
    5. Memphis (-2)
    6. Utah (+1)
    7. Oklahoma City (-1)
    8. Portland
    9. Dallas (+2)
    10. Minnesota (+3)
    11. New Orleans (-1)
    12. Denver (-3)
    13. Los Angeles (+1)
    14. Sacramento (-2)
    15. Phoenix

Eastern Conference
    1. Cleveland (+1)
    2. Boston (-1)
    3. Toronto
    4. Atlanta (+1)
    5. Indiana (+2)
    6. Detroit (+4)
    7. Charlotte (+4)
    8. New York (+4)
    9. Chicago (-1)
    10. Milwaukee (-4)
    11. Miami (-2)
    12. Washington (-8)
    13. Orlando
    14. Philadelphia
    15. Brooklyn
    I was pretty close with the West besides Minnesota and Denver, but the East was way off. I had Washington as the 4th worst.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

God damn it, Suns...

I might do a longer post later on, but here's my predictions for Round 1:

GS in 4
    SA in 4
    HOU in 7
    UTA in 6

BOS in 5
    CLE in 5
    TOR in 6
    WAS in 5

I normally put my vote in before the start of the playoffs, but I am so against Durant winning that I can't vote Golden State. And Cleveland shit the bed for half a season so I don't want to vote them either. That just leaves the Nets and Sixers. I'll vote Nets out of pity since they did such a great job of tanking for us.

Given the face-value of their regular season performances, I believe the Rockets should beat the Thunder in less than 7 games. BUT I might be giving Westbrook a little too much credit here when I say this: He'll flip a switch for the playoffs. A basketball IQ switch. And a redirected effort switch. I think he'll actually close out on the Rockets instead of chasing rebounds and maybe leak out in transition on occasion instead of insisting on getting the ball at the opponent's free throw line. I could see him averaging less than 5 rebounds in this series. The triple double obsession is hopefully over and that would give the Rockets a tougher series in my opinion. With the firepower that Houston packs, a one-man show is exactly what they're looking to defend because there's no way any single player would be able to keep up with them. Westbrook will still get a ton of touches but the Thunder's frontcourt should be given the chance to produce more since they have an advantage over the Rockets. This is mostly just wishful thinking on my part. I want a long series.

Giannis is the future of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee1000 View Post
    Giannis is the future of the league.
    Giannis is the closest thing we'll see to luffy in the nba. Dude looks like he is rubber sometimes
    Spoiler:

Unbelievable performance by Isaiah given the circumstances....the guy's got nerves of steel. Unfortunately, the rest of the team needed to perform more on a night like this. We didn't play well, but I've seen worse this season many times. So the floor for the Celtics is lower than what we saw today. I see this game being a wake-up call for the Celtics, so I'm sticking with my prediction of the series going just 5 games. We're getting hot for at least 2 of the 4 wins and eking out the other win(s).

I wanna see the Bulls beat the Celtics if only because I'd like to see an 8 seed take down a 1 seed :P

Spoiler:

Unbelievable performance by Isaiah given the circumstances....the guy's got nerves of steel. Unfortunately, the rest of the team needed to perform more on a night like this. We didn't play well, but I've seen worse this season many times. So the floor for the Celtics is lower than what we saw today. I see this game being a wake-up call for the Celtics, so I'm sticking with my prediction of the series going just 5 games. We're getting hot for at least 2 of the 4 wins and eking out the other win(s).
    Wasn't gonna trash talk my friend (Boston fan) earlier but damn, that last out of bounds call was definitely bullshit. Seems like refs wanted this for IT3.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Cyke View Post
    Wasn't gonna trash talk my friend (Boston fan) earlier but damn, that last out of bounds call was definitely bullshit. Seems like refs wanted this for IT3.
    He got called for a really soft t so i doubt it
    Spoiler:

Man, the Celtics are just shitting the bed. Not enough effort out there at all. Isaiah's been inspiring, but we need guys to show up and let the basketball world know that this isn't a one-man team. I'm not asking anyone else to drop 30, not even 20. But let's box out, not make lazy passes in Rondo's direction, attack the ball on defense, maybe...play the percentages on some of their poor shooters and know who to play tight against? Oh, I haven't even gotten to the brick party yet. Making an open shot would be nice too, but the smaller things I mentioned are very much in their control and they just aren't doing it. I don't think anything could make me feel good about the team besides a wire-to-wire blowout tomorrow night. A gritty close game with late heroics would be exciting and all, but Game 3 should be about draining all the momentum the Bulls have. Anything less than that shouldn't give a fan much hope for the series.

As for Rockets/Thunder, I still think it could go the distance. Good teams defend home court against lesser seeds so I'm not shocked by the Rockets going up 2-0. But I think the way Westbrook lost last night just might flip that switch that I mentioned before. No amount of ball hogging is going to be successful against the Rockets, especially for a streaky shooter like him. I think he'll play differently the next two games, probably just more loose. The role players are at home so that should help their confidence (if there's any left) I could be giving WB too much credit again, but I see the Thunder taking the next two games.

I want to watch so much more of Round 1 but there's not enough time in the day. I haven't seen even a second of Bucks/Raptors and caught maybe a quarter of Jazz/Clippers. The other 4 series I've watched here and there.

With Rondo injured, the Celtics just might win this in 6.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information