+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Animation Winter 2017

Default Re: Animation Winter 2017

Alright, alright, I'll watch it :D
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

As a big fan of Yuki Aoi, Saga of Tanya the evil is goddamn perfect.

I loved Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu before, but damn. The second season has easily launched it into my top 10 - no, probably top 5 - anime shows I've ever seen. I just fucking love it so much like godDAMN.

That latest Rakugo episode packed some heavy punch lemme tell you. Towards the end all of my focus was on that screen of mine, literally clawing the edge of my seat.

I'm really enjoying the pace of YowaPedal this season. It's becoming an even greater anime. And the animation is even more outstanding.

About the new (new as in not a sequel or an adaptation of a manga I read) anime of this season, my favorite so far is Youjo Senki. I really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

Does any one know when we can expect the next episode of The Dragon Dentist ?

I watched it because I found the name funny but it is rocking my expectations. Very high quality animation, cool characters and quite the complex story.

February 25th. I also recommend The Dragon Dentist, it's very entertaining and the animation is absolutely fantastic.

Gundam IBO is shaping up to become my favorite Gundam series. Outstanding work so far IMO.

Dragon Dentist was pretty awesome so far. The two mains are a little cliche but the art and the setting makes it.

And the Powerpuff Girls reference in Little Witch Academia is no surprise but very appreciated. I love everything in this series. The side characters, the goblins, the "villains of the week"...
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

Quote Originally Posted by fana View Post
    Gundam IBO is shaping up to become my favorite Gundam series. Outstanding work so far IMO.
    This. IBO is my first Gundam and damn did it blew many series I've watched out of the waters.
    Gundam fan or not, give this series a go. It is extremely good and shaping out to be one of the rare gems.

Man, the first season of Konosuba was just "decent" to me, but this one is really funny. One of my favorite comedy anime.

Big spoilers for episode 48 of Gundam:IBO

Spoiler:
    You've been warned.
    Spoiler:
    The most surprising part about Orga's death to me is that there's still a couple of episodes to go, thought he might've kicked the bucket in the finale. He's been a dead man walking since episode 1 so it's not as huge a shock as it was probably intended, to me anyway.
    3DS Friend Code: 1762 -3677-8048

Little Witch Academia has slowly made it's way into my heart. The first episodes were cute, but now 8 and 10 have sealed the deal. It's incredibly charming. It's similarly sincere to Space Patrol Luluco with the typical Trigger energy in there.

Episode 47 of Gundum IBO....Uuuuh what....Isn't Atra like 10?

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

I think she's supposed to be the same age as Mikazuki, which I think is somewhere in the 16-17 range. Which is rather young as is, even putting aside the fact that she looks like 11. It's one of the reasons why I find that subplot to be quite icky and a really, really, really bad idea the moment it stops being treated as a joke.
    Spoiler:
    As for this week's episode, RIP Orga. His death wasn't surprising since everyone was expecting it from Day 1, but I was surprised that he bit it with two episodes still left to go and without being able to take part in the final battle and pilot that horned Shiden. Who's left to pilot that thing anyway? Hush? Chad? Dante? Ride? Maybe Eugene? Those are the only guys left!

Really, Iron-Blooded Orphans has this weird thing going where it's been both unsubtle as a brick yet still managing to pull off some surprises. Like, I figure that Rustal's going to die somehow in the finale and Mikazuki's going to defeat McGillis and become a vegetable, and the resulting power vacuum will allow Gaelio and the more moral/less evil members of Gjallarhorn take over but that sounds too easy, not the show's style.

And friggin' hell, Iok's like Patrick from 00 only devoid of all his likability and charm!
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Yeah I really don't like the MikazukixAtra relationship at all either. What Atra, and Kudelia for that matter, are meant to see in Mika is beyond me. He's a fucking emotionless robot (almost literally). I'd have been quite ok with all 3 of them dying tragically so we can focus on the rest of the crew who I actually find interesting.
    3DS Friend Code: 1762 -3677-8048

Finished Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.
    easily in my Top 10 All-Time favorites and easily my Anime of the Year so far, just a wonderful experience from front to back.

It's a shame the show is so hard to recommend to people, because I really think it's one the best character dramas in the past several years.
    but hey, if you're ever in the mood for an anime about people talking for 24 episodes, this is the one I'd point you to.

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

Yeah, I absolutely loved Rakugo. I missed out when the first season was airing, but I am so glad that I caught up to watch through the second!

It's got a lot of interesting characters, and themes, and great emotional moments. I just love how the Rakugo performances can be filled with so much meaning that each performance of even the same repeated stories is an entirely different thing. The ending was pretty satisfying, too. I thought it left off with some great bookends, and a lot for me to think about.

Spoiler:
    You can dissect the series in a lot of ways, but I think it will stand out most to me as a story about storytelling. It is that in so many ways. It's a story about the storytelling art of rakugo and it's a story about the storytellers. It's a story about stories in the way that the parallels among the different generations we see can be related to how the same rakugo stories keep getting told from generation to generation with new meaning. It's a story about how we craft the stories of our own lives and how important that can be, as we see with the way that Yakumo embellishes his story for the sake of Konatsu, or how Konatsu keeps the secret of Shinnosuke's father to herself. It's a story about getting too absorbed in storytelling, and losing sight of reality in the way that Yakumo comes to identify so strongly with the shinigami that he recoils from all the people around him. Most of all, it's a story about the pure joy of storytelling and its ability to move people, and even save them the way it saved Yota and, eventually, Yakumo.

Rakugo has been an amazing ride. I'll have to let it settle in my head to understand how I really feel about it, but right now I can say that it's been something special.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

^beautiful words you chose there, Wagomu.

I raise my glass to the show and Yakumo himself. It was truly a magnificent ride, and one that makes me want to experience a live rakugo performance.

Since the spring season starts next week, my tl; dr of this season is that there was only one series I followed, which is Little Witch Academia and it was a lot of fun.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information