+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Animation Winter 2017

Default Re: Animation Winter 2017

In the end, I followed three shows this season:

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: I wrote up my thoughts on this above. If it wasn't clear, I really loved it! By far my anime of the season. It's well worth watching from the beginning. If you have the patience for a well-crafted character drama, then you will not be disappointed.

ACCA 13: Just finished this one up. In the end I think that it's a very pleasant series. It's not the biggest standout, and not something I'd feel like watching again, really, but it's like a breath of fresh air. ACCA isn't very flashy, and it doesn't really try to grab your attention, it just sorta does its own thing, and you follow along. A little political intrigue here, a little tourism there, and a whole lot of sweet things in between. Very pleasant soundtrack, too. This was a great show to unwind to, really.

Little Witch Academia: So far this show is good, but not as great as I wanted it to be. The writing's kind of weak, with lots of problems getting resolved too quickly, or ideas being abandoned before they could be explored. A lot of people were complaining about the episodic quality, but that never bothered me as much as the missed opportunities for character development and exploration. Still, the animation is great when the production's up to it, and it is very cute. Because of when it releases, I end up watching it as a nightcap, and it's pretty nice for that. Plus some of its episodes definitely have that Trigger magic, especially the journey to the center of Sucy ep. The serial elements are starting to creep in as the show enters into its second cour, so I'm looking forward to where it goes. My expectations aren't too high, btu so long as it continues to be nice, I'll be satisfied. Plus the ED is baller.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Youjo Senki: The saga of Tanya the Evil just ended, and by being X, was it glorious. Clean animation, smart use of CG when absolutely necessary to save budget, and a compelling war story with ACTUAL TACTICS. So much YES.

Also, added bonus of seeing the people in the Kissanime comment section going all 'Sieg Heil' and 'Meine Fuhreren Tanya'. The takeaway? Anime turns people into war loving Nazis, even when it's a series about WW1. But watch it, because goddamn is seeing it all fold out on screen satisfying. Moaar. I want MOAAAR.
    -_- o_o O_O ...Agree to disagree sounds about right. Holy moly.
    I'm such a bad person

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V - I doubt anyone else watched this, but after a promising start it went into a slow-motion burnout just after the halfway point that became a full-on death-spiral by the final third. Despite the advantages of a good cast and a planned out, ongoing story by the end of things it turned into a sloppily written, cobbled-together mess that didn't really respect its characters. Then the actual ending itself soured me further by ending on a major blue-balls moment while simultaneously screwing over a chunk of the cast without the show even caring. Balls dropped all around, sadly.

ACCA 13 - Like Wagomu said this was largely a pretty chill series to unwind to which I appreciated a lot. Outside of that I felt that the writing could've been a little deeper and the intrigue a little more substantive (aside from one good twist at the end most of it was fairly predictable) but y'know, I'm not too fussed. The show knew what kind of tone it wanted to set and stuck to it. Though I fear that when you ask me about this show several months from now after my memory of it fades, all I'm going to be able to describe it as is: "That one where everyone eats unhealthy food and stalks the MC's sister".

Mobile Suit Gundame: Iron-Blooded Orphans
    Spoiler:
    I get the feeling whether one loves or despises this ending depends on whether you see it as the glass being half-full or half-empty. While Rustal becoming the great reformer isn't that out of left field if you pay attention to his dialogue, it does feel rather hand-wavey and like some kind of sick practical joke. Again, I have to hand it to the writers for somehow being so predictable, yet not. I guess I fall on the bittersweet ending side of the camp - all the Tekkadan members who identified most closely with being soldiers died, but most of the people you wanted to see get theirs did (fuck you Iok!), and the survivors managed to finally find "their place" in a peaceful society. Though I snorted a bit at "Akatsuki" - that sounds kind of like a pretentious name to choose for your kid to me, not to mention he's just a palette swap! I'm still surprised that they actually went there with that subplot. I still don't think it was a very good idea, but whatever.

Season 2 of this show could've benefited more from a tighter narrative like Season 1 had, but I do applaud the show for managing to stay above its narrative flaws. Iron-Blooded Orphans is a bit of an odd beast since many of the usual Gundam tropes are sprinkled on the side. I honestly can't say that was a bad thing, and the eschewing of laser-based weapons was a great decision as far as I'm concerned. The writers knew the themes and messages they wanted to go for and stuck to them even if they weren't always crowd-pleasers. I would not recommend it to people as their first or even second Gundam series, but I did feel it was one of the better entries to come out of the franchise since the turn of the millenium.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V - I doubt anyone else watched this, but after a promising start it went into a slow-motion burnout just after the halfway point that became a full-on death-spiral by the final third. Despite the advantages of a good cast and a planned out, ongoing story by the end of things it turned into a sloppily written, cobbled-together mess that didn't really respect its characters. Then the actual ending itself soured me further by ending on a major blue-balls moment while simultaneously screwing over a chunk of the cast without the show even caring. Balls dropped all around, sadly.

ACCA 13 - Like Wagomu said this was largely a pretty chill series to unwind to which I appreciated a lot. Outside of that I felt that the writing could've been a little deeper and the intrigue a little more substantive (aside from one good twist at the end most of it was fairly predictable) but y'know, I'm not too fussed. The show knew what kind of tone it wanted to set and stuck to it. Though I fear that when you ask me about this show several months from now after my memory of it fades, all I'm going to be able to describe it as is: "That one where everyone eats unhealthy food and stalks the MC's sister".

Mobile Suit Gundame: Iron-Blooded Orphans
    Spoiler:
    I get the feeling whether one loves or despises this ending depends on whether you see it as the glass being half-full or half-empty. While Rustal becoming the great reformer isn't that out of left field if you pay attention to his dialogue, it does feel rather hand-wavey and like some kind of sick practical joke. Again, I have to hand it to the writers for somehow being so predictable, yet not. I guess I fall on the bittersweet ending side of the camp - all the Tekkadan members who identified most closely with being soldiers died, but most of the people you wanted to see get theirs did (fuck you Iok!), and the survivors managed to finally find "their place" in a peaceful society. Though I snorted a bit at "Akatsuki" - that sounds kind of like a pretentious name to choose for your kid to me, not to mention he's just a palette swap! I'm still surprised that they actually went there with that subplot. I still don't think it was a very good idea, but whatever.

Season 2 of this show could've benefited more from a tighter narrative like Season 1 had, but I do applaud the show for managing to stay above its narrative flaws. Iron-Blooded Orphans is a bit of an odd beast since many of the usual Gundam tropes are sprinkled on the side. I honestly can't say that was a bad thing, and the eschewing of laser-based weapons was a great decision as far as I'm concerned. The writers knew the themes and messages they wanted to go for and stuck to them even if they weren't always crowd-pleasers. I would not recommend it to people as their first or even second Gundam series, but I did feel it was one of the better entries to come out of the franchise since the turn of the millenium.

They finally aired the last episode of Gundam. So I'm super late to the party.
    Spoiler:
    Although I got spoilered with the ending I realize it wasn't terribly surprising. But I had hoped Julieta would have been killed. She was the reason they missed their one shot at Rustal. And she was completely annoying like Iok. But besides her surviving the rest was fairly good. I'm glad a large chunk of them survived. I do wish Orga at the least could have made it out as he was my favorite.

This really would have been much harder to watch if it was my first Gundam series. I feel like it's one of the few franchises I've seen that actually kill off main characters permanently.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information