+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk LGBT Issues And Be F*king Nice About It

Default Re: Talk LGBT Issues And Be F*king Nice About It

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Sex is biological. Gender is more the cultural aspects that have been born of and associated with those. It is how we view ourselves and present ourselves with regards to those ideas.

Sex is penis or vagina. Gender is masculine or feminine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Here's a pretty neutral article on the topic. It gets into the bare bone facts.
    Thanks for the clarification Wagomu, and really interesting read there Rin. Beyond just the basic concepts some of the historical stuff was something new, so that was pretty interesting. Really it comes down to something I've come to realize, which is how strict labelling has become with so many people. They are used to things being within a norm, and if you fit within a certain label such as male or female many expect you to act a certain way. So now when they see someone not fit into that it feels wrong to them and they refuse to see that labels are just something to make quick descriptions, and don't ultimately make a person behave a certain way.

I should clarify that gender encompasses male and female and not just masculine or feminine. The latter's just easier to think about if you're unfamiliar with the concept. You can definitely have feminine male and masculine female, though, regardless of biological sex.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    yea, someone willfully misunderstanding that the people insulting our existence and explaining it to us as insanity deserve our respect and attention.
    I realize that Robo carries with him a certain implication, and that Horizon's colossal dickbaggery probably has your emotional tolerance at it's rawest, but both you and Rin literally went into this thread firing hard at things that were, and have, at no point been uttered in here. Maybe this is that autistic engineering part of my brain acting up here, but the way i read it this thread was doomed from the start by Robo's existance, because of your perception of his intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I realize that Robo carries with him a certain implication, and that Horizon's colossal dickbaggery probably has your emotional tolerance at it's rawest, but both you and Rin literally went into this thread firing hard at things that were, and have, at no point been uttered in here. Maybe this is that autistic engineering part of my brain acting up here, but the way i read it this thread was doomed from the start by Robo's existance, because of your perception of his intentions.
    The thread originally used the word "Debate" and was stated in the first post to be a continuation of the conversation that went on in the Indecision thread. The general idea being to just get that talk out of there.

Noqanky and I were insulted by that conversation and responded in kind, but the point is it didn't come from nowhere.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884

I don't think there's anything worth arguing in the intentions of the thread, so long as it's changed and we repurpose it as such. I'm not sure what you folks want to use this thread for, but if this is just going to be arguments about the title and specific members, then it might be better off closed and forgotten.

So I guess let's just use this thread to discuss LGBT issues and promote understanding for anyone who has questions?

What rin said. He already clarified to us what he meant to do and we have clarified to him how the situation this was born out of wasn't exactly a case of one person being rational and ganged upon for it and more of a case of someone being outright insulting getting hammered for it.

The original phrasing and expressed intent of the thread was most definitely insulting from a trans perspective, and if you want to know why I can clarify more about why that is. But overall, I think it's safe to say we've moved beyond that, and Franky Tank demonstrates what this thread can actually be about, namely exchange of information.
    3DS Friend Code:1504-6058-2691 NNID:Anax4Aero
    Twitch Channel: twitch.tv/Nephy4

May I ask a question?

*Do all LGBTs agree with each category of the LGBT spectrum?

I think of that sometimes. May I hear some views?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelos17 View Post
    May I ask a question?

Good question! There's actually a lot of conflict between lines that does exist. There's cases of the gay and lesbian communities being intolerant of the bi community, or any of those being intolerant of the trans community. The resolution of conflicts in one community doesn't necessarily help the others either, and there was a lot of people in the trans community voicing concerns that the others may forget about them when gay marriage was passed in America. These are issues that are easy to miss from outside of these communities and definitely something that should be acknowledged.

Someone else can give a more detailed perspective, but off the top of my head I know there's a fair bit of discrimination against trans and queer people by gays and lesbians, actually. Part of it comes from a conflict of sexuality, where many gays accuse trans people doing something wrong by changing their sex/gender instead of just liking people of the same sex. Another aspect comes from how gays and lesbians are more mainstream and sometimes focus on their own needs instead of the full spectrum's, similar to how some black feminists feel secondary to white feminists.

May I ask a question?

That's an interesting question. I think as a whole most LGBT people know that yes, there are lesbian, gay, bi and trans people and yes, they do exist and are not "pretending" or things like that. And for the most part the term "queer" is one a lot of people are taking ownership of as it also includes other identities such as agender, pansexual, asexual, etc etc.
    I HAVE heard of cases of lesbian women who don't consider trans women to be women and things like that, so given that I assume that there's people on the queer side sexuality spectrum who don't agree with the people on the queer side of the gender identity spectrum. But overall? I think all under this umbrella have the shared experience of dealing with bullshit and persecution from others enough not to do it ourselves.

There's also a lot of discussion about what it MEANS to be lgbt. I have little experience myself in the LGB area though, since for all intents and purposes I am straight in terms of sexual preference. Someone else could be better equipped to answer that.

On the T side, there's things like whether the goal of a trans individual should be to pass as the desired sex or to stand out and embrace being trans, or whether surgical alteration should be a goal or something considered as further oppression from having to belong in a binary society, ... lots of interesting discussions that arise when you start thinking about what categories mean and what a spectrum as opposed to a binary entails for society as a whole.

Myself, my take on things is I know who I am and what I want to be so I'll deal with that. If other people in the LGBTQ+ umbrella feel differently or disagree, that's on them, as long as people let me and the people I care about live in peace and comfort I don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    So I guess let's just use this thread to discuss LGBT issues and promote understanding for anyone who has questions?
    I agree. We'd already kinda moved on but I was mostly responding to Wolfwood bringing it back up.

May I ask a question?

MOST do, but not all. There are some more radical offshoots who want to split up the LGBT grouping or change it altogether.

Some recent Examples are from some Trans Exclusionary Radical LGB folks who wanted to "Drop the T".

The majority of LGBT folks tho realize that, while Sexuality and Gender Identity might not be the same, there IS plenty of overlap and that the people attacking us are all attacking us because of the same prejudices. That being that "Men are Men and should act THIS way. Women are Women and should act THIS way." etc.

We all defy gender norms in one way or another, which is why we're Stronger Together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    similar to how some black feminists feel secondary to white feminists.
    Yeah, those racial issues intersect a lot in the LGBT communities as well.

Wait, I thought Queer was just a derogatory term for homosexuals, or has that changed over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    Wait, I thought Queer was just a derogatory term for homosexuals, or has that changed over the years?
    Long story short, the LGBT community is trying our damnedest to take it back. lol

Also, about the "LGBT Distinction" topic.

There are actually people within the gay Community who (wrongly) think of Bisexuality as false.

The general idea is that Bi people are "Self Hating Gays" that are "Pretending to be half straight to be accepted".

Kinda sad when people who should be allies are at each others throats.

Ok, so Queer means identities outside of cis-heterosexual which for some time has been more of a derogatory term if I'm understanding this right from Rin's and Noqanky's posts.

@Wagomu and @Jabberwok
    I sincerely suspected these conflicts, especially when I attempt to put myself in the shoes of categories in the array.
    It's evident as Wagomu shared that Ls&Gs seem to have more prominent coverage, especially with the passing of permitted marriage in some states and countries. I would think that Bs&Ts wouldn't worry too much as it seems they are covered both ways. To me, they seem to be a subset of LG and an intersection group between LG and Straights. (Dunno if I am making clear sense).
    And @Jabberwok and everyone else on sexuality: What gender is a Bi person?

That is a good one to bring up. Bisexual people get a ton of shit for not "picking a side", it's such bullshit.

Asexuals, pansexuals, as well as gender non-conforming people... we're talking about a lot of individuals who receive routine discrediting and disdain for not "picking a side and moving on", which goes to show just how little understanding there is overall for non-binaries when it comes to these things. Which is ultimately a psychological effect of the way our brains are taught to categorize and process information from childhood.

Angelos: Bi as in bisexual could be any gender. Sexuality does not have to align with gender identity.
    Bi as in bigender is when someone moves back and forth between a predominantly male and a predominantly female gender identity. There's also genderfluid for those who move and change across the gender spectrum without focusing on the established binary only.

And @Jabberwok and everyone else on sexuality: What gender is a Bi person?
    Any gender.

The point of being Bi is that you're attracted to both of the two traditional members of the Gender Binary (Male and Female)

It says nothing about the Bi person in question's actual gender.

I-Isn't there a A on the set? Stands for aromantic or asexual?

(PS. thanks for this thread, I have many questions)

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    I-Isn't there a A on the set? Stands for aromantic or something?
    As far as I know there is asexual, and I heard that for the most part is they don't have sexual interest in anyone, but they can still be romantic in other ways.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information