+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk LGBT Issues And Be F*king Nice About It

Default Re: Talk LGBT Issues And Be F*king Nice About It

I'm glad this thread turned into something good.

I'm learning something.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    I-Isn't there a A on the set? Stands for aromantic or asexual?

(PS. thanks for this thread, I have many questions)
    It can be a A, but most people use LGBT because it is shorter and it is the most well known term. The most inclusive acronym a I've ever seen is QUILTBAG.

Aromantic isn't exactly part of it, but it's a thing.

The A is Asexual which is basically... Nothing sexually arouses these folks. They aren't attracted to ANYONE, male, female, nobody. There are, however, folks on this side who ARE Romantic. They can form loving caring, "Romantic" relationships with people.

They just aren't physically attracted to them.

The opposite of the coin is the Aromantics. They don't or can't form emotionally romantic connections and basically exist on the notion that Sex is just supposed to be fun and feel good. Admittedly, I have little experience with Aromantics tho, so someone else may be able to fill in on that better.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    ...which goes to show just how little understanding there is overall for non-binaries when it comes to these things.
    This line really stood out for me after your premise and comments after. That's the first thing everyone needs to accept before going on to seek understanding on the discussions at hand.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Any gender.

The point of being Bi is that you're attracted to both of the two traditional members of the Gender Binary (Male and Female)

It says nothing about the Bi person in question's actual gender.
    You're right DemonRin

Quote Originally Posted by Fuschiawarrior View Post
    It can be a A, but most people use LGBT because it is shorter and it is the most well known term. The most inclusive acronym a I've ever seen is QUILTBAG.
    Wait wait, I'm pretty sure I've seen a + attached to Q or A on LBGTQA. What's up with that?

I do apologize in advance for being an ignorant cisgender pleb, but it's all in a good place. I'm eager to learn.

EDIT: Thank you Rin for explaining the A!

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Aromantic isn't exactly part of it, but it's a thing.

The A is Asexual which is basically... Nothing sexually arouses these folks. They aren't attracted to ANYONE, male, female, nobody. There are, however, folks on this side who ARE Romantic. They can form loving caring, "Romantic" relationships with people.
    I identify as asexual and for me it doesn't mean lacking in sexuality at all. Like a lot of asexual folk like myself still find attraction to sexual acts and stuff, but don't really enjoy partaking in those acts at all. There's also a lot of asexual folk in kink communities and such, who still enjoy bodily or psychological sensations as well, without really sexualizing them. It's because of this that I can consider myself bi as well, since I find attraction across genders, just don't like engaging in it.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Wait wait, I'm pretty sure I've seen a + attached to Q or A on LBGTQA. What's up with that?

I do apologize in advance for being an ignorant cisgender pleb, but it's all in a good place. I'm eager to learn.

EDIT: Thank you Rin for explaining the A!
    The + is to take into account any of the possible identities not included in the overarching acronym. The idea is also to understand that just like a lot of us don't like being placed into neat little boxes we were given, it stands to reason that people under this umbrella may themselves not like to be put into another tight box that doesn't consider other possible aspects of their identity.
    3DS Friend Code:1504-6058-2691 NNID:Anax4Aero
    Twitch Channel: twitch.tv/Nephy4

There ain't even a P in the acronym yet even with pansexuality becoming more prevalent OTL

at least, the + implies it.
    It's a damn shame that the community can be so divided sometimes, though. Worst I've seen in places can be summed up as "Welcome to the LGBT, where the B is made up and the T doesn't matter"

Thankfully, my college community has pretty active LGBT+ services, even if i already sussed out my identity issues it's nice to see people helped out with theirs in a good place.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    The + is to take into account any of the possible identities not included in the overarching acronym. The idea is also to understand that just like a lot of us don't like being placed into neat little boxes we were given, it stands to reason that people under this umbrella may themselves not like to be put into another tight box that doesn't consider other possible aspects of their identity.
    Well that makes sense - someone may go "hey, I don't exactly resonance with any of these"....well, letters. No one wants to feel left out.

To add to this, I've occasionally heard other different letters added on after LGBTQ. Is Queer generally accepted as a catch-all term for people who don't fit neatly into one of the other four categories, or are there other classifications that Queer doesn't cover?

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

So I understand the process of sex change, which includes Hormone Therapy and Surgery for certain changes, but what all changes with hormone therapy? I know there would be changes in estrogen and testosterone levels, but I don't really know how big an effect it would have overall and how big of a difference it makes in someone identifying as their gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    I'm glad this thread turned into something good.

I'm learning something.
    Me too! :)
    Sixteen characters.

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    So I understand the process of sex change, which includes Hormone Therapy and Surgery for certain changes, but what all changes with hormone therapy? I know there would be changes in estrogen and testosterone levels, but I don't really know how big an effect it would have overall and how big of a difference it makes in someone identifying as their gender.
    Interesting question, For Trans maybe the hormone therapy helps their physiology adjust to more masculine or effeminate features to their original physique. Probs aids the transition better.

Tranny is a derogatory term that you shouldn't use.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Angelos17 View Post
    Interesting question, For Trannies maybe the hormone therapy helps their physiology adjust to more masculine or effeminate features to their original physique. Probs aids the transition better.
    Please don't use t******, it is a slur.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Tranny is a derogatory term that you shouldn't use.
    Tbvh, I was in a dilemma after I typed that. Edited. Thanks for the nudge

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    changes:

for male to female:
    - breast growth
    - softer skin
    - more retention of fat and loss of muscle (leads to that soft, cushiony feel)
    - face becomes more feminine
    - there CAN be change in bone growth though it's extremely minor, namely in areas like the hips growing, shoulder blades growing less, etc. Very very minor for most of us, unfortunately, there's better results if testosterone production is halted before puberty.
    - infertility
    - hair growth on the scalp rises, while facial hair growth as well as that in other parts of the body changes/decreases. However, for the most part most hair that was there remains so it has to be removed with lazors or electrolysis for it to be gone permanently.
    - blood clotting becomes more common as a result of estrogen, so that's a health consideration.
    - bladder retention decreases, mostly due to the effects of antiandrogens like spironolactone
    - smells change, both the way you smell and how you perceive others. Olfactory reception is far stronger.

I may be forgetting some

for FTM (I know less of this so anyone can feel free to add):
    - muscle development becomes more prominent in certain areas
    - some voice deepening may happen I think
    - facial hair growth
    - a lot of the opposite of what's in the list above... i really know very little of the FTM experience <_<
    - unfortunately, breasts require surgical procedure to disappear.

There's a bunch of other interesting changes that can vary from person to person. For me, sexual preference changed. Then there is also things like emotions feeling considerably stronger, but that can also be a side-effect of some of the drugs involved. There's also that thing in the back of your mind where things feel right and it's like going from the beginning of Wizard of Oz to suddenly having color... but that may also just be a placebo effect. It's really quite the interesting journey.
    Last edited by Noqanky; October 8th, 2016 at 02:28 PM.
    3DS Friend Code:1504-6058-2691 NNID:Anax4Aero
    Twitch Channel: twitch.tv/Nephy4

To members of the Community.

Was there a specific trigger in your life that spurred you towards your LGBT orientation?

This may help others understand the possibly diverse journeys

I guess this largely depends on where you live, but what would you consider the biggest obstacles LGBT people face in their everyday life? Which laws would you pass if you had the power?

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    I identify as asexual and for me it doesn't mean lacking in sexuality at all. Like a lot of asexual folk like myself still find attraction to sexual acts and stuff, but don't really enjoy partaking in those acts at all. There's also a lot of asexual folk in kink communities and such, who still enjoy bodily or psychological sensations as well, without really sexualizing them. It's because of this that I can consider myself bi as well, since I find attraction across genders, just don't like engaging in it.
    lately i've been coming to terms with the idea that i might be ace, and i've kinda been ashamed to talk about it bc i have a boyfriend and we've done stuff and i've talked about it before. I guess it took having a BF for me to even consider it, honestly. Lots of times I've felt like I might not be feeling certain things because I'm depressed or maybe because I'm not super healthy... but then I remembered I was never really interested in dating and stuff in high school. And by not interested, I mean I never wanted to be in a relationship ever and the 2 times I was in a relationship was because the guy asked me out and I was like "okay I'll give you a shot" as opposed to having an actual feeling about it. One relationship stressed me out extremely bc the guy was writing me letters about how he wanted to kiss me and he made me sit in his lap on the bus and wanted me to stare into his eyes. Like I just remember how uncomfortable I was the whole time haha, like "god damn it now I have to be around this guy and act differently" even though we were friends previously. The other relationship I had ended in like 3 weeks? We only held hands.

I guess I just figured I hadn't met the right guy, and I never met anybody I felt comfortable with to even kiss is my current bf. I love him a lot and I'm down for pretty much whatever, but it's been a process where I've been coming to terms with the idea that romantic attraction and sexual attraction are two different things because I'm waaaay more into romance than sex. I would probably say I'm bi-romantic ace, if there was a label for it. I've heard the term "grey" used for some ace people that maybe aren't 100% but are close to it, so maybe that would be better.

I don't really like labels and I'm ok with someone being like "you're definitely not ____!!!!" because I feel like I don't really know.

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information