+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hosemisnuba's ' Best VGM' Collection Project

Default Re: Hosemisnuba's ' Best VGM' Collection Project

The 2 N64 Mystical Ninja games have some killer tracks too.

And the mandatory:

Quote Originally Posted by hosemisnuba View Post

Cool. I'll probably get back to it in a while though.

That's fine it's always fun finding people who like video game music from the well known to the obscure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I Like Video Game Music hosemisnuba's Avatar

Animal Crossing Series OST Review
    - Animal Crossing
    - Animal Crossing City Folk
    - Animal Crossing New Leaf
    * I kept out Wild World because implications seem to point to the fact that City Folk and Wild World had nearly identical OSTs (City Folk had more)*

Primary Composers: Kazumi Totaka, Kenta Nagata, Toru Minegushi
    Shinobu Tanaka, Shiho Fujiii, Manaka Tominga, Manaka Kataoka
    Atsuko Asahi

As a kid, and now really, I loved the Animal Crossing Series. Who would've thought mundane leisurely task would be so satisfying? Amirite? Anyways, one of the biggest attributes of the series is how chill and down to Earth it is. There's nothing particular dramatic and everything is just on a day to day basis. That said, the OST of all these games (especially the most recent entry, New Leaf) are some of the chillest and cool tunes you can come across in video games. One of the coolest things about the Animal Crossing Soundtrack is how every hours of the day has its own theme song (in every game). This gives each day spent in the Animal Crossing virtual world a bit of variation, depending on which hours you choose to invest time in. While none of the tracks are brilliant or even great (I guess a small few might be), each track was enjoyable and that's why I saved so many tracks from this terrific OST.

Highlight Tracks

7 PM Music (Regular) (New Leaf)

Spoiler:
    <em>

3 AM Music (Regular) (City Folk)

Spoiler:

Wow.... The original Assassin's Creed OST is so fucking boring.

In better news, Ar Tonelico I & II, Ar no Anno 1404 & 2070, and Ar no Surge have amazing soundtracks.

But seriously, how could anyone like an OST as shitty as Assassin's Creed. With a few minor exception (which are only just good at best), the entirety soundtrack is a bunch of atmospheric suspense shit. Oh well, I guess its good to know I have standards.

Before I got totally bored of AssCreed as a game, I just played Opeth over the game, and that made it bearable. tbh I can't even remember the game having a soundtrack.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Before I got totally bored of AssCreed as a game, I just played Opeth over the game, and that made it bearable. tbh I can't even remember the game having a soundtrack.
    I think someone suggested it as decent on reddit or something. That said, I'll stick with it to the end, but no way in hell am I doing more than audio skimming, unless the music is decent later on that is.

EDIT:

Speak of the devil.....

Spoiler:

The only legitimately good AC song I've found so far. Inb4 the rest of AC2 is complete garbage like AC.

EDIT: I guess its actually pretty decent, at least 2 & 3 that is.

Yeah Assassin's Creed is a game you remember more for it's characters, locales, gameplay, etc than you do for it's soundtrack.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Jesper Kyd had a few good covers in other games.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

I got bored with AC, so I stopped after 3. Granted, there was quite a few good pieces in AC2, AC3, and AC2 sequels, but there's just so much dull crap surrounding it, I don't even want to bother.

On the topic of legitimately good music, I'm going through the Atelier soundtracks right now, and shit, Gust's Sound Team is baller. Granted, The Ar series was better in terms of music, but these guys have held there own in every soundtrack. To anyone who has not checked out Gust's Stuff, at least 60 % of there stuff is worth listening to for fun, in my opinion, at least.

Here's the track I was listening to while I made this post: the majority of there stuff is at this caliber or above.

Spoiler:

Yeah. I'm mostly finished with As. Now onto Bs.

My general sentiment regarding the music I've listened to so far is the following:

Gust's Atelier and Ar Tonelico series have spectacular music (like all games in these series have very few 'bad' songs and while there are very few songs that make me emotionally charged, I was hard pressed to find music I don't like in this series.

Ace Attorney music is fantastic. V (especially), Investigations, and VI are certainly the high lights.

Anno Series (outside of 2205, which is pretty decent itself) have excellent soundtracks.

The only game in the Advance Wars series with a legitimately good soundtrack is Days of Ruins and its actually quite good at that. Maybe Dual Strikes will be decent (when I get around to doing it that is).

Assassin's Creed is a mixed bag. II & III & Revelations haves good music but I & Brotherhood are meh. I honestly think there is good stuff, but most of it is meh.

Animal Crossing. A lot of enjoyable tracks are in these games, but there is nothing super outstanding. New Leaf's music is probably the best. Its the overall quality of the soundtrack that makes me rank it an 8.

Axiom Verge. Pretty decent stuff. Not much else to say.

Air. Great as a collective unit. Nothing super great I guess.

Advent Rising. Good. A bunch of good music is found in here.

Atomic Bomberman. Blehg, so trashy. I like techno, but not like this.

Its sad how few Western games have good soundtracks compared to their Japanese Counterparts

Out of the soundtracks I've gone over, the West (in terms of decent soundtracks) has
    - Advent Rising
    - Axiom Verge
    - Assassin's Creed II
    - Assassin's Creed III
    - Anno 1404
    - Anno 2070
    - Anno 2205
    - Banjo Kazooie
    - Banjo Tooie
    - Bastion

Japan has...
    - Everything else on the list

I guess that's probably because the Japanese game industry has a longer economic and cultural history, but regardless, I still wonder why Western game developers don't tend to contribute to the video game music culture as much as their Japanese counterparts.

I guess that's probably because the Japanese game industry has a longer economic and cultural history, but regardless, I still wonder why Western game developers don't tend to contribute to the video game music culture as much as their Japanese counterparts.
    Simply because the Japanese are better and more renowned for it.

Nah, there's a ton of western games with great soundtracks, especially in the indie scene. Besides Nintendo's greatest hits, I think any of my other favorite OSTs are western in origin.

Baywatch got nothin' on me The Tenth Strawhat's Avatar

Other than Banjo and Conker (I think), the only other good video game soundtracks I can think of in the west are indie games. One example from me would be Guacamelee.
    The faces of a Straw Hat.

Discovered Stowaway K. Kira XXIII's Avatar

VVVVVV soundtrack is amazing. It is an indie platformer, super simplistic. So amazing though.

@hosemisnuba maybe alternate between each end. A, Z, B, Y. (Get to V fast! :3) Though I recommend playing the game if you haven't. I think it will enhance the experience.

Youtube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-baHj9N6dM

Link: https://souleyedigitalmusic.bandcamp.com/album/pppppp-the-vvvvvv-soundtrack

Peter McConnell, Grant Kirkhope, and David Wise are all pretty big names in western video game music.

Japan has the edge as far as AAA goes, but I really wouldn't discount indie games in the running, since their OSTs are often better than the big stuff. I'd say the average quality of indie OSTs is better overall. There's a greater diversity of styles and a lot of talented indie musicians that would never get a chance in the big industry.

Just to throw up a couple more I remembered:

Anodyne (I know you're past this part of the alphabet, but I think it's a decent one to mention)
    Botanicula
    Machinarium
    Neverhood
    FEZ (I've never played it actually, but its OST is well-regarded)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    VVVVVV soundtrack is amazing. It is an indie platformer, super simplistic. So amazing though.

@hosemisnuba maybe alternate between each end. A, Z, B, Y. (Get to V fast! :3) Though I recommend playing the game if you haven't. I think it will enhance the experience.

Youtube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-baHj9N6dM

Link: https://souleyedigitalmusic.bandcamp.com/album/pppppp-the-vvvvvv-soundtrack

Maybe I'll do A, B, Z, Y, C, D, X, W and so on. I do want to get to Umineko and Undertale quicker (just so I can have them in the collection) (My OCD won't let me do it out of order). I literally have devoted all my spare time to this project so playing games is unlikely for me, but I might give VVVVV a shot if you say so.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Peter McConnell, Grant Kirkhope, and David Wise are all pretty big names in western video game music.

Japan has the edge as far as AAA goes, but I really wouldn't discount indie games in the running, since their OSTs are often better than the big stuff. I'd say the average quality of indie OSTs is better overall. There's a greater diversity of styles and a lot of talented indie musicians that would never get a chance in the big industry.

Just to throw up a couple more I remembered:

Anodyne (I know you're past this part of the alphabet, but I think it's a decent one to mention)
    Botanicula
    Machinarium
    Neverhood
    FEZ (I've never played it actually, but its OST is well-regarded)
    I added Anodyne & Fez & Machinarium (I had the other two) to my offline Masterlist. Eventually, when all is said and done, I'll go back to the ones that are in small font.

Maybe I'll do A, B, Z, Y, C, D, X, W and so on. I do want to get to Umineko and Undertale quicker (just so I can have them in the collection) (My OCD won't let me do it out of order). I literally have devoted all my spare time to this project so playing games is unlikely for me, but I might give VVVVV a shot if you say so.
    The game is short, and you can spend 10-15 minutes on it and achieve things. To be fair the complete soundtrack is 35 minutes long, so up to you which works best. I loved the game, but not sure what your preferences are for games genres(I find it hard to recommend games sometimes). Maybe watching a playthrough? (The game has only three inputs, left, right and invert gravity.)

Machinarium was another game I liked. I love this thread and the fond memories it is bringing back.
    Last edited by K. Kira XXIII; October 21st, 2016 at 09:26 PM.

Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid copyright claims when I upload the missing stuff to youtube? I have no desire to monetize the soundtracks. I just want a complete nexus for gaming soundtracks and whatnot.

Making it private? Not sure really.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information