+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hosemisnuba's ' Best VGM' Collection Project

Default Re: Hosemisnuba's ' Best VGM' Collection Project

Do you need to upload the stuff yourself? A lot of these OSTs are already uploaded, and you can just make playlists of them, and record a commentary vid on each or something to contribute.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

I Like Video Game Music hosemisnuba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Do you need to upload the stuff yourself? A lot of these OSTs are already uploaded, and you can just make playlists of them, and record a commentary vid on each or something to contribute.
    There are quite a few visual novels on my list without a proper soundtrack on Youtube, the Baldr series (I hear its got good stuff), Kara no Shoujo (I downloaded the soundtrack already in spite of never playing the game; it has really good music), and Aiyoku no Eustia to name a few. More importantly, somethings like BlazBlue (which I hear has very great soundtrack) had a copy right take down. I guess I could just search for the best tracks from each series, but I really want to examine soundtracks as a whole (maybe I'll just torrent and upload my favorites that aren't already uploaded).

dunno if this counts but recently played an indie title called Va-11 Hall-A and dear god the OST was beautiful a lot of the time. I dunno if you can get the soundtrack though.
    Winner of Arlong Park's 2011 Member Award: Most Perverted Member.

Funny thing. I am an avid Borderlands 2 player (yes, even now), and I never thought the soundtrack was all the great. Currently, I happen to be listening to it (on you tube that is), and I've come to realize its rather great in the grand scheme of things. I wonder why i wasn't able to realize that while playing it. Maybe the constant combat got in the way listening or something.

In case you aren't convinced, here's Flamerock Refuge from the Tiny Tina DLC.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by hosemisnuba View Post
    Funny thing. I am an avid Borderlands 2 player (yes, even now), and I never thought the soundtrack was all the great. Currently, I happen to be listening to it (on you tube that is), and I've come to realize its rather great in the grand scheme of things. I wonder why i wasn't able to realize that while playing it. Maybe the constant combat got in the way listening or something.
    A game where you're constantly involved in the action is generally going to make it difficult to listen to the the soundtrack soundtrack.

And I just remember another game soundtrack recommendation Afro Samurai The Game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

So I've calculated an approximate final number for the main "Quality VGM" list: 18,000 tracks. That said, in the main subjective list which I will eventually divide these tracks into, here are the approximate numbers I expect.

(Note: all list will include the tracks of a certain level, in addition to the tracks at superior levels). I'm doing this so those who are interested can gauge there taste similarities. The reason I'm primarily using visual novels as reference points is because I just got out of a visual novel craze. Right now, I'll just use examples from Rewrite and Umineko, because both are top tier to me. I guess I'll throw in my favorite boss theme too.

Decent (Quality VGMs now) (6.5/10): 20,000
    Good (7/10): 16000
    Very Good (7.5/10): 12000
    Great (8/10): 8000
    Excellent (8.5/10): 4,000
    Amazing (9/10): 2,000
    Amazeballs (9.5/10): 1000 Scene Shift There (Rewrite),
    God Tier (10/10): 250- Worldenddominator, Dreamenddischarger, Dancing Mad (specifically Evergreen's version),
    Transcendant (????): 50- Only example I can think of currently is Discolor from Umineko Chiru. Just for reference.

Well, I just 'finished' the Bs. Granted, I skipped a whole lot, including the last three Breath of Fire games, Bubble Bobble, Bully, Burnout, Bust-a-groove, and in C, every Call of Duty game, but I'll get back to those games on the second roundabout.

If your interested, I suggest you check out the following soundtracks if you haven't already:

Banjo Kazooie
    - I love the Banjo's series music, but the first game is definitely better than the first. Highlights are Grunty's Lair and the final boss theme.

Bastion
    - I hate modern day country music, and this game had good country music. It wasn't exactly my favorite, but lets just say it was enjoyable and leave it at that.

Baten Kaitos
    - This stuff was amazing. The first was better than the second but I suggest giving both a try. Motoi Sakuraba proves his worth here.

Batman Arkham
    - Not good in anyway, but the opening theme to Arkham City is something stellar.

Battlefield Series

- Nothing in this series is super good except for Battlefield Vietnam. Battlefield Vietnam is composed entirely of licensed 50s and 60s music so sadly, it doesn't fit within this project.

Bayonetta Series
    - This stuff was stellar. I thought the first game had better music by a good amount, but both are worth a try.

Beyond Good & Evil
    - Poorly performing game with a great soundtrack. There are some gems to be found here.

Bionic Commando
    - Overated. Good, but overrated. Enough said.

Bioshock
    - First game had a few good songs, but nearly all were something special. Second game had two good songs. Infinite had a lot of good music, but most of it was kinda on the short side. Essentially, its safe to say this series has good music.

Bloodborne
    - There is some great stuff here, but its a little too heavy of choral stuff for me.

Blue Dragon
    - Nobuo Uematsu kicks ass in this OST. He may have lost some of his luster in the later FF OSTs for me, but not here.

Bomberman
    - Some games have mediocre OSTs. Others have decent to good OSTs. Nothing special here.

Borderlands
    - I've already pointed this out, but as an avid Borderlands player, I'm surprised I never realized how good this OST was. It was probably the action or something. That said, 1 is okay, 2 is top tier for a AAA American game, and the Pre Sequel holds its own. I highly suggest giving two a shot.

Botanicula
    - This shit is fucking weird. Kinda good, but fucking weird

Braid
    - I loved this shit. Too bad its all licensed. Sorry, but I will only incorporate licensed music if its a cover, and I refuse to do otherwise.

Bravely Series
    - Both games in this series have amazing OSTs, especially the first one. A lot people think the second games OST is completely outclassed by the first, but I don't think its by that much. I highly suggest checking out Serpent Eating Ground if you haven't heard. Its one hell of a final boss theme once it hits the two minute mark.

Brutal Legend
    - Metal. Metal. And more metal. Metal is my favorite conventional music type, but I didn't exactly love this stuff. I'm not sure why.

Breath of Fire

- I didn't like the first two games and it made me skip most of the Bs and COD. Try it out if you want, but I don't suggest it.

By the way, I'm now at 1369 games. I highly doubt I'm missing much at the moment other than sequels, but please tell me if I missing anything unique.

Bastion
    - I hate modern day country music, and this game had good country music. It wasn't exactly my favorite, but lets just say it was enjoyable and leave it at that.
    I'm not sure I would call it country. More folk/blues-inspired. I don't really have a reservation against country, but the song structures are very different.

I'm surprised you had nothing to say about the voiced songs, though ("Build That Wall", "Mother, I'm Here," and "Setting Sail, Coming Home"). Those are some of my favorite pieces to come out of a video game.

Brutal Legend
    - Metal. Metal. And more metal. Metal is my favorite conventional music type, but I didn't exactly love this stuff. I'm not sure why.
    Are you judging both licensed and original soundtracks?

By the way, I'm now at 1369 games. I highly doubt I'm missing much at the moment other than sequels, but please tell me if I missing anything unique.
    I'll get back to you with more, in time, don't you worry. Knowing random shit about video games is practically all I do.

I'm surprised you had nothing to say about the voiced songs, though ("Build That Wall", "Mother, I'm Here," and "Setting Sail, Coming Home"). Those are some of my favorite pieces to come out of a video game.

Are you judging both licensed and original soundtracks?
    Granted, I only listened to Bastion's soundtrack once, but its best pieces were definitely the voiced ones. The only one I definitely remember is Build That Wall, and I agree, that was quite excellent (it will definitely go on one of the higher tier playlist when I get to it again). I guess it wouldn't be accurate to call the music in Bastion 'country', but in it nascent form, country evolved from blues, folk, and rockp music so its not exactly inaccurate for me to perceive it as such.

In regards to whether I'm going to review licensed OSTs, I'm opting to not do so. Otherwise, I would've saved Ain't no Rest for The Wicked From Borderlands and pretty much the entire Braid soundtrack. The reason I'm doing this is because I exclusively wanted this collective to be composed of music made for video games. Otherwise, I would have to go through something like Rock Band, and while I love music like that, it doesn't fit the themes I'm going for.

I will however consider covers of music, even if the game is licensed, if the cover was made for the game that is (i.e. Bioshock Infinite Barbershop Quartet Beach Boy's Song).

That said, is Brutal Legend composed entirely of licensed tracks? That will make me sad if it is.

Well I think the distinction is important for something like Bastion, just because the idea of country kinda turns people off before the music gets a chance, haha. It's true that it evolved from things like blues and folk, but hell, metal evolved from blues, so I don't think that says much. Country has a different style of rhythm and melody to work with (much more dance-y, even on the more downbeat and depressing songs, related to old school rock like Elvis). I don't mean to get all music nerd on you, but I just think it's worth considering those differences when judging the music and holding it against the rest. I also think that country's a really overlooked genre that gets a lot of flack for its reputation.

As for Brutal Legend, there was a licensed soundtrack featuring a bunch of metal bands that provides the bulk of the music, which is pretty great (though lacking in some places like death and doom), and an original soundtrack by Peter McConnell that supplements it and fills in the moments where full on songs weren't appropriate (cutscenes and stuff).

Well I think the distinction is important for something like Bastion, just because the idea of country kinda turns people off before the music gets a chance, haha. It's true that it evolved from things like blues and folk, but hell, metal evolved from blues, so I don't think that says much. Country has a different style of rhythm and melody to work with (much more dance-y, even on the more downbeat and depressing songs, related to old school rock like Elvis). I don't mean to get all music nerd on you, but I just think it's worth considering those differences when judging the music and holding it against the rest. I also think that country's a really overlooked genre that gets a lot of flack for its reputation.

As for Brutal Legend, there was a licensed soundtrack featuring a bunch of metal bands that provides the bulk of the music, which is pretty great (though lacking in some places like death and doom), and an original soundtrack by Peter McConnell that supplements it and fills in the moments where full on songs weren't appropriate (cutscenes and stuff).
    I think Brutal Legend playlist I scrounged from was Peter McConnel's stuff (outside of the last song). There was no singing except for the last one.

Yeah, that's the OST for Brütal Legend (the one vocal track was the parody 'bad' metal song they made for the beginning of the game).

Whether or not you think it's worth checking the licensed music is up to you. It definitely leaves the bigger impression from the experience, but obviously it isn't music composed for video games, so the context is different.

Also, this is unrelated to that, but when you get to Psychonauts (far down the list), there are actually two soundtrack albums. One is the game's BGM, the other is the music for cutscenes. It's something that definitely threw me off at first.

Yeah, that's the OST for Brütal Legend (the one vocal track was the parody 'bad' metal song they made for the beginning of the game).
    That track wasn't even bad. In fact, I kinda liked it to be honest. Was I not supposed to?

That track wasn't even bad. In fact, I kinda liked it to be honest. Was I not supposed to?
    You can like whatever you want, haha. Even though the thing was made to be the joke song, I assume they made something they were happy with, so if you enjoy it it still speaks to their quality.

This is a case where removing it from the context affects it a lot, though.

Right now I'm going through a visual novel with no foreseeable American release, Chaos;Child. Its by the same guy who did Steins;Gate and Ever 17 (which are both pretty good from a music standpoint). Its pretty damn great methinks.

Spoiler:

Oh, and I just added like 30 no-name visual novels to the list for shits and giggles (like what the fuck is Harukani Aogi Uruwashi no; I have no clue to be honest). They were on some huge ass visual novel related playlist. Maybe I'll find some hidden gems or something.

Doing Cladun, right now, interesting stuff. It was really, really hard to find a proper OST for the first game, but I found one that's hidden, which is nice.

This might be something stupid to discuss, but my passion for my favorite music has become so strong, that when people react negatively too it, I'm becoming offended, and mildly agitated even. At this point, I don't even want to share music with people if all they're going to do is have a negative reaction because its unconventional for them. Personally, I've found that if you listen to stuff you don't like enough time, you can come to appreciate it and even legitimately enjoy it. I don't know; I'm just ranting. Its rather silly I'm getting so worked up over mere music anyways.

Ay Wags, Crypt of the Necrodancer has really great music. I really appreciate the suggestion.

Ay Wags, Crypt of the Necrodancer has really great music. I really appreciate the suggestion.
    No prob! Who knew that a game designed around beats might have good music :P

As a bonus soundtrack tidbit, Spike Chunsoft localized Crypt of the Necrodancer in Japan, and as a bonus, they made an official Danganronpa soundtrack mod for the game, with remixes of some DR songs to fit the gameplay. It's mostly just the DR songs with a stronger backbeat, and there are a few weaker tracks in the run, but it's a lot of fun, and a pretty neat thing they did.

So I relatively recently 'finished' the Cs. Here are my thoughts:

Call of Duty Series
    - I skipped the entire thing (for now, at least) because its probably rather boring, if Battlefield's OST is anything to go by.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
    - This was a very good soundtrack. Yes, it was rather small (like 10 songs), but the majority of its tracks were rather excellent. Its a wild-western, bluesy, country, rock stuff, and each piece has great soundtrack quality. I highly suggest checking it out if you haven't already.

Cannon Fodder
    - This soundtrack was tiny. It had like two decent songs, if I remember correctly. Obviously, I can't say it was too good, but the opening song was very interesting, if I remember correctly.

Capcom vs SNK 2
    - Some of the fighting stages had cool vocal music of the hip hop, rap, and R&B genres. Personally, I wasn't overly fond of this OST (it was pretty good, don't get me wrong), but I get the appeal.

Castle Crashers
    - This game had decent music, but I will mostly remember it (until I listen to it again that is) for the comments some viewers made about playing this game with their brothers. I wish I had a brother (granted, my sister plays video games, but still).

Castlevania Series

- This series is renowned for its music, and while I think its *slightly* over-hyped, anything with Michiru Yamane at the composer helm was good stuff, I must say. All in all, its a good series for music. Also, I can't understand why Bloody Tears is so popular. Yeah its a cool song, but in terms of recurring Castlevania Music, I like Simon's theme a lot better.

Catherine
    - The first Shoji Meguro (Persona, Digital Devil Saga) soundtrack on this list. That said, it was pretty good, and was filled with Meguro's trademark jazzy and funky music, but I have much higher opinion of Persona's OST. There are few too many licensed works on this OST, in my opinion, if I can say anything.

Chaos;Head & Chaos;Child
    - Chaos;Head and its sequel Chaos;Child (only released in Japan) are the work of 5pb, the same people behind Steins;Gate. In addition, their music is also composed by Takeshi Abo, the same guy who did the Ever 17 OST. Chaos;Head was just so, so, in my opinion (it has Pity, which is good I guess), but Chaos;Child (which I did on whim mind you) , was surprisingly an excellent OST. I'm a fan of Steins;Gate's OST, but Chaos;Child might be Abo's best.

Cave Story
    - A really good 8 bit chip tune soundtrack. Admittedly, I was in a rush to get to Chrono Trigger & Cross, so I was only skimming the tracks, but I imagine I will really like most of what I picked in the second phase.

Cheetahmen

- This game & its sequel's OSTs are embodied by a single tune called, you guessed it, Cheetahmen. Its a pretty decent 8 bit tune, but nothing to right home about.

Child of Eden
    - I mean, this game has good music (its a rhythm game afterall), but its a bit too reminiscent of modern American Pop for me to fully like it. Maybe if I listen to it few more times, I'll start to like it.

Chip and Dale Rescue Ranger
    - Its probably an inferior Ducktales or something. Like I said, I was in a hurry to get to the Chrono Series when I was listening to it, and all I got out of it was a few tunes which I will examine later I guess.

Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross
    - I love the OSTs of both of these games. Granted, I think Chrono Cross' soundtrack is somewhat overrated, but that doesn't mean I think lowly of it at all. Plenty has been said about these soundtracks elsewhere: why do I need to beat a dead horse, saying these game have good music anyhow?

Chuck Rock
    - Random OST that ended up on this the Hardcore Gamers Top 1000 VGM, somehow. It isn't bad, but nostalgia really clouds judgment at times, me thinks.

Cladun Series
    - It took me forever to find a proper soundtrack for the original game, but I'm glad I did. The OP is great and there a two or three songs I think are amazing. The second game's tracks on the playlist on youtube were too extended for my taste, and I wanted to move on, so I'll revisit it later I guess.

Clannad & Clannad Tomoyo After
    - Key makes really good music. Clannad is no exception. This soundtrack is really appealing in my opinion, but is inferior to both Little Busters and Rewrite if you ask me. Tomoyo After honestly had a higher concentration of good music than its root work in spite of being about half the size of the original.

Clockwork Knight
    - Meh........

Columns
    - One good track I think. It was okay.

Comic Bakery
    - It has its theme, I guess, which was pretty good if I remember correctly. Not much else to say.

Command and Conquer Series
    - I think this series had good music, but I was kinda fed up with C at this point, and I skipped a few parts of the series. For those who are fans, I promise to get back to the other installments later.

Contra
    - Good, but not great or anything. As I said, I was tired of C at this point, so I skipped a few games.

Cool Spot
    - 7 Up game. Okay. Nothing to see here in my opinion.

Corpse Party
    - Mediocre visual novel, but the soundtrack is great if you ask me, especially themes associated with chapter 5, which are really fun, to be honest.

Crash Series
    - Crash 1 was okay. Crash 2 was very good. Crash 3 was just good. The music overall was good enough in my opinion.

Cross Channel
    - This OST is mediocre as hell, but I'm a sucker for calming piano music, and this OST had a lot of that, hence its relatively high representation on the list.

Crypt of the Necrodancer
    - All I got to say about this is that the Super Meat Boy/Binding Isaac composer can compose. I loved this stuff. I highly suggest giving it a a shot if you haven't already

Civilizations
    - 3 was very good and 4 was good, in the beginning that is. I haven't done 5 or 6 because yet, because I haven't heard much good about them in the youtube comment section. I'll get to them later for sure. As far as RTS City builder OSTs are concerned, I think I liked Anno's better.

Discovered Stowaway K. Kira XXIII's Avatar

Did anyone mention Jamestown? Great tracks.

PS: About those people...just remember even pervy-cook has been added to the list of scrubs that told Luffy he ain't becoming pirate king, just do the sensible thing. Pick your nose.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information