+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AP Forums Tabletop Gaming Thread: ROLLIN' DICE AND PLAYIN' NICE

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Default Re: AP Forums Tabletop Gaming Thread: ROLLIN' DICE AND PLAYIN' NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Exactly my problem. Unlike video games, board and tabletop require that one spec I never really have access to: interacting with other people.
    We all interact fine it's just schedules and stuff like that eventually it just gets hard finding a time where everyone has time off.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Never played any tabletop games but I've been kind of wanting to eventually. Some of the World of Darkness games sound fun. Traveller is also another one that interests me.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Haggis View Post
    DnD is something I always wanted to try and get into. I been following Critical Role on geek and sundry (a bunch of professional voice actors playing DnD which pretty much describes how much fun it is.) and that's really got my interest up.
    Yeeees. Critical Role is amazing. It took me about a year of watching that to finally decide that I wanted to give the game a try myself.

Just last Sunday I DMed three other new players through the first part of the 5e Starter Adventure. I had prepared for several hours and then when we started I was immediately overwhelmed. XD But everybody had fun anyway and if the group can lean a little bit more into their characters and if I can deliver some more interesting descriptions, this will be even better.

My favourite part: The Dwarven cleric with ridiculous Armor Class gets hit once during the entire session. With a devastating critical hit that knocks her unconscious. Fortunately the goblins were more interested in looting her body than finishing her off so her companions managed to carry her out of there.
    Just something fun I made during the latest Survivor playing as Monji:
    Spoiler:

3DS Friend Code: 0619 - 7302 - 6515 Oops, lost my 3DS... :(

There are some systems besides D&D worth trying, too, if anyone would be up for them instead.

I've played a round of Fate, which is looser and more dynamic than D&D (though it requires a lot more judgment on the GM's part). I know there's more, too, but that's the one I know. It all depends on what you want out of the game.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Sounds awesome. From what I've seen DnD looks like a super fun game but it has quite a the entry barrier at least with the current circle of friends I have.

A big part of the entry barrier comes from the different classes, races, and spells. If you limit your selection of races, classes, and archetype paths at the beginning it's a lot easier to manage, and then you can expand to some of the other stuff later.

So like start with a dwarven Fighter or something and don't worry about the customization options until later.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Omg I would so be down for a game!

I got so used to having active sessions but with friends being so far apart, sickness and family stuff It's hard to keep one going.

I've played so many systems over the years but I would say Rifts/Paladium is my favorite then D&D then Warhammer Fantasy then Marvel D20.

I try to keep my GMs on their toes by coming up with unusual personalities and race/class combinations.

Also I love Marvel D20 and Warhammer Fantasy cause you can random roll everything about your character for even more hilarity.I have kept practically every character sheet since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    A big part of the entry barrier comes from the different classes, races, and spells. If you limit your selection of races, classes, and archetype paths at the beginning it's a lot easier to manage, and then you can expand to some of the other stuff later.

So like start with a dwarven Fighter or something and don't worry about the customization options until later.
    For me that's less of a problem cause I actually love to dive into systems with depth like this. I actually recently just did a quick read of the free DnD rulebook that's out there. Making characters seems like totally in my wheelhouse.
    For me the far higher entry barrier is like getting a group together. The people I currently socialize with, I have a hard time imagining them being into it judging that general interests don't seem to mesh all that well.
    And then there is the fact that even if I get a group together I would probably have to be the dungeon master and you kind of want to do that part well cause if you suck and the game has bad flow people are probably not going to play again.

Would be far easier to convince my highschool friends but we're all living in different cities. Such is life.

I actually play Pathfinder and more recently D&D 5e with some former APers and college buddies via Roll20; and we have a lot of fun!
    But much like others have said, trying to get six adults' life schedules to align is the hardest boss battle of all.
    It takes work, but once you have a group of people you mesh with who are ALSO reliable, you're really in good shape!

We're about halfway through Curse of Strahd right now, and I fear that by the time we actually enter Castle Stradhlevania, there won't be much of Barovia left to save (our party puts out fires with gasoline).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Does anyone here DM? If we plan on getting a game together, that's important.

I'm interested in learning, but that will have to wait until after this quarter of school to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Does anyone here DM? If we plan on getting a game together, that's important.

I'm interested in learning, but that will have to wait until after this quarter of school to happen.
    I've DM'd a couple one-shots, but I'm still learning.
    best way to learn is to do, though, so I'm willing to work stuff out.

I've never played but have seen the game be played on Twitch. I'd love to join a group and learn, I even downloaded a character sheet generator!
    Check out my tumblr for my thoughts on random movies and manga^^

http://lion-kun.tumblr.com/

I dislike GMing. Last time I did it though was a Big Eyes Small Mouth game and that has the least amount of rules so it's annoying to keep stuff moving along.

alright cool it's time for resources and stuff for D&D5e
    I'll be linking to some basic resources for people just getting started along with a basic rundown of how character creation goes in the easiest way I can

To start off, I'll be linking directly to the Wizards of the Coast website where you can download a .zip file that contains the standard 5th edition character sheet, along with some alternate sheet designs and stuff for casters. But focus on the regular character sheet for now.
    just click the box that says Fifth Edition Character Sheets and you'll be good to go

Next, since I assume that many of the people here do not have a bunch of dice, I'll be linking to a digital dice roller as well. It's a handy tool (but physical dice are better)

If you want PDFs of entire handbooks, that's on you. They aren't hard to find but I'm not linking any here.

Moving on to the actual character creation. I'll preface this by saying that my one-shot is balanced around your character being Level 3 so keep that in mind if it's what we do.
    1. Create your character concept - Basically just think of what you wanna be. Think of your character's name, age, physical characteristics, background, species/race, alignment, etc. from a standard human fighter named Jeff to a tap-dancing half-orc bard that communicates through slam poetry, just do what you want. I'd actually recommend making multiple character concepts, just in case one happens to not fit, but that shouldn't be a big problem. The setting I use for my one-shot is very hospitable to most things. Look into any racial bonuses your character would get too. Those are important to remember.
    2. Choose your class - this determines a lot of the stuff you can do. Each class features different abilities and all that jazz. But very importantly is your hit dice. Hit die will determine how much health your character has to work with, ranging from very little (d4 for wizards and sorcerers) to a lot (d12 for barbarians). Look up the hit dice for your chosen class along with whatever else you want to know about them. Furthermore, I don't apply any alignment restrictions to classes. just do whatever works for you. Look up the speed of your race and your class as well, This will determine your movement speed in battle and other fast moving situations. Furthermore, you'll want to know what Saving Throw Proficiencies your class has to, since they'll help you. With Saving Throws (it's very intuitive you see)
    3. Roll your ability scores - this is where numbers happen so I'll be more meticulous here. As many of you well know, the six primary scores in D&D are Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. Before getting into actually rolling, I'll let you know that you can opt to take the "standard set" of scores if you don't feel like rolling your own (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8, to be distributed to any stat of your choice). This is a good setup for new players, since it lets them decide a character's strengths and weaknesses, without making the character particularly powerful or woefully weak in any area. But anyways, the formula for a character's ability score is to roll four six-sided die (or 4d6) and then drop the lowest die. (eg. I rolled a 6, a 4, a 3, and 2. I drop the 2 and my ability score is 13). Do this six times and you'll have your six ability scores. Place them whereever you deem them to be most appropriate for the character concept that you've made. Remember to add in any racial bonuses to your scores as well, as every point can count. If you opt to roll your own scores but you're still worried about being screwed by the dice, here's a little extra rule I use every now and again: If your total roll (the sum of all 4 dice) is a 9 or less, just reroll it. But again, it's all up to you.
    4. Modifiers - This is directly built off ability scores but it needs its own section because it's very important. Each ability score will give you a modifier in that stat, which will affect the outcomes of your rolls. We'll use the standard set to give a rundown on the modifiers. A character with 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8 would have modifiers of +2, +2, +1, +1, +0, and -1, respectively. In case you can't extrapolate that, I'll break it down. score of 1 is -5, 2 to 3 is -4, 4 to 5 is -3, 6 to 7 is -2, 8 to 9 in -1, 10 to 11 is +0, 12 to 13 is +1, 14 to 15 is +2, 16 to 17 is +3, 18 to 19 is +4, and 20 is +5. Don't concern yourself with any above 20, it's the natural cap for abilities. Modifiers will affect a lot of things but the big ones are: Attack Rolls and Damage (Strength and Dex), More HP on level up (Constitution), Passive Perception (Wisdom), Armor Class and Initiative (Dexterity), and other stuff. Another important modifier that everyone just has is Proficiency Bonus, which starts at +2 at level and then increases by 1 every 4 levels (+2 at level 1, +3 at level 5, etc). You use proficiency bonus for a lot of stuff, just make sure you have it on your sheet and it's just a little extra addition on a few rolls.
    5. Equipment: Load your dude up with weapons and armor and stuff. Normally, there's restrictions on armor and weapons and stuff but for a one-shot, I don't care. Just load your dude up with whatever you think is most appropriate for the character. Just don't go overboard or you'll be dragging a tractor trailer through town. Anyways, your weapons and armor will affect stuff. When choosing your weapons, be sure to note what die they use for damage, any particular damage type (piercing, slashing, bludgeoning), melee or ranged, etc. Armor you really just need to know what the armor class is. Armor Class is how easy or hard you are to hit. you calculate it by adding 10 + what your armor and stuff like shields gives you + your dexterity mod
    6. Skills - oh boy skills. Basically skills are specific stuff stuff you can do that are built upon stats that aren't constitution. On the sheet you'll see a list of skills from Athletics to Survival, for most characters just check off four of those and bam those are your proficient skills, any checks you make with those skills will have an additional +4 to the roll. Bards, Rogues, and Rangers get to choose 6 skills in addition to choosing a skill that they have expertise in, which gives them an extra +4 in that particular skill. Your characters background can also affect skills but that's up to you. Additionally, here's the list of what skills get which stat, so that you know what modifier to add when you roll. Strength (Athletics), Dexterity (Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth), Intelligence (Arcana, History, Investigation, Nature, Religion), Wisdom (Animal Handling, Insight, Medicine, Perception, Survival), and Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, Performance, Persuasion).
    wow that was a lot, hopefully it's not too hard to understand. if you want a better process just go look up the player's handbook. it'll be more coherent than my tired key clattering.

hopefully having the sheet will make what I'm saying easier, and feel free to ask any questions.

This is going to take some time for me to go through again, and I'm busy right now, but I assure you that my Half-Orc Bard, Ivana Krushyu, will rise again.

The Other White Meat Capt Haggis's Avatar

Well it looks bad, but once you get started it's okay. I think I got it without to much trouble.
    Your daily heaping helping of haggis.

Argh. 5th edition. The one I haven't played yet lol. I'll read through it when I can.

I'd be down for this if my schedule permits and everyone doesn't mind me being a scrub. I haven't played D&D since I was in high school.
    I make silly pictures.
    Twitter
    Tumblr DeviantArt Instagram

Since character building is fun I'm going to throw mine in here and hope it kind of checks out.
    There are still a few things missing like spells, cantrips. Also the background is slightly customized to slightly fit better backstory wise.
    Not clue about equipment so to be honest there I just scoured through different character shits and took within reason what seemed sensible.

Fingers crossed that it works out schedule wise for me cause it sounds pretty fun.

A super rough backstory in case it's relevant as well as open to change in case it doesn't fit well
    Spoiler:

So Raal was basically picked up by a priest when he found him seriously wounded near the stairs leading up to the entrance of the temple he was serving at. Raal doesn't really remember what happened before he arrived at the temple. His estimated age when he was found is about 10. The priest took him in but Raal being a Tiefling did pose a problem. The way they went around it was basically the Priest making him his personal assistant/scribe as well as him walking around with his face concealed + making it known among the others that he was under a vow of silence so he was generally left alone.
    Of course this didn't last forever and circumstances in which his heritage was revealed led to the priest dying because of him as well as him being chased out of the city when he was about 18.
    The way he managed after that was selling his services as a scribe as well as concealing his face with the excuse of hiding hideous scars. 2 years later he went into paladin training after certain events and I guess we're at the point now where he somewhat recently finished that training.

I'm probably going to do it properly later would be good to know about anything that might be off limits in your world Ruin.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; October 29th, 2016 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Since character building is fun I'm going to throw mine in here and hope it kind of checks out.
    There are still a few things missing like spells, cantrips. Also the background is slightly customized to slightly fit better backstory wise.
    Not clue about equipment so to be honest there I just scoured through different character shits and took within reason what seemed sensible.

Fingers crossed that it works out schedule wise for me cause it sounds pretty fun.
    Dayum. Those are some nice stats. A pally huh? Guess I can't go evil alignment lol.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information