+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AP Forums Tabletop Gaming Thread: ROLLIN' DICE AND PLAYIN' NICE

Default Re: AP Forums Tabletop Gaming Thread: ROLLIN' DICE AND PLAYIN' NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Dayum. Those are some nice stats. A pally huh? Guess I can't go evil alignment lol.
    I'll say that my view on evil and good for this character isn't black and white not quite the stereotypical paladin.
    That said if certain lines are crossed well people just gotta see .
    Also I hope it was correct to add the tiefling cha(+2) and int(+1) bonus or else it would be 16 and 13 which would make me swap str and cha probably.

Also for others I used this https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_j...5jdzhHT0k/view which is a editable pdf someone on the dnd reddit posted.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; October 29th, 2016 at 08:41 AM.

Adding the racial bonuses is fine, but I'm a bit lost as to how you got some of your gear. Typically you either get the listed loadout for your class or you're given a certain budget to buy your gear with.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Adding the racial bonuses is fine, but I'm a bit lost as to how you got some of your gear. Typically you either get the listed loadout for your class or you're given a certain budget to buy your gear with.
    Yeah like I said I actually don't really know about that part. Ruin said to load up our chars.
    The way I selected stuff was looking at some of the free starter character sheets from the official dnd site as well as some items from the background section and cobbled something together that would fit with my backstory rp wise(probably). The gold I think was 5d4 x 10 gold(Pretty sure I read this in the free DnD players guide but I might be wrong) + 10 from the background.
    But basically if people would outline on how to choose equipment in greater detail would be great.

If you're going with the 5d4 x 10 starting gold you unfortunately don't get anything from your background, including the 10 gp.

Plus, 5d4 x 10 gp is a maximum of 200 gp (and an average of 125 gp), whereas between your armor (200 gp) and your greatsword (50 gp + another 100 for silvering) you're almost twice over that. Obviously it's up to Ruin or whichever GM we have but that seems stretched a bit too far.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

I see. Maybe Ruin can just set a budget for everyone so people can shop with that what they like.
    Is there also a good list of items out there? I've seen some in the players guidebook but the actual lists are fairly apart from each other page wise makes it a pain to navigate to see what you really want/need/can have.

Yeah that's more my personal belief is that as long as you don't go overboard and overload your character, equipment restrictions are kinda lame.

I understand armor restrictions so that we don't have super tanky wizards being impossible to hit, but other than that I think people are fine just loading up what they feel is most appropriate for their character.

If you want to follow a more traditional equipment loadout process, look up your character's starting class in the player's handbook, you'll find the normal starting load out listed under class features, along with what armor and weapon proficiencies your class has. Again, I'm loose with this. If you wanna be a warlock with a greataxe, go for it. Just be reasonable. The average starting coinage for class (barring Monks), is 3d4 x 10, with some variance if you wanna look it up the specifics, but for quickly rolling up a character, just use that. Monks only get a simple 5d4 starting coinage. You can spend your starting coinage to get additional gear outside what you start with, but it's deducted from the money that you'll start the campaign with.

You can find all this in Chapter 5 (Equipment) of the Player's Handbook. finding a pdf of it is really simple and I recommend it over buying the physical book because it gets expensive.

furthermore, your weight limit can be easily calculated by simply multiplying you strength score by 15, don't exceed that and you'll be fine, but being too heavy will give you disadvantages, even if you aren't over the limit.

Again, I'm not gonna be too hard about it for a one-shot, but if we start a true campaign starting from level 1, I would tell you to be more aware of the normal limits such that you don't go overboard. But I don't see anything wrong with Raal's loadout, for the purpose of doing a one and done.

Edit: if you want a standardized budget from me, I'd just say to roll your class's starting gold as listed in the handbook (or what I said if you don't wanna look it up) and then just add an extra 100. Gives you some wiggle room and lets experiment with different stuff.
    Last edited by Ruin; October 29th, 2016 at 11:14 AM.

The Other White Meat Capt Haggis's Avatar

Wait x 10?

I thought it was 5d4 + 10.

Wow. My monk got 11 gold. Guess the idea of him adventuring to raise money for a orphanage makes more sense now.
    Your daily heaping helping of haggis.

ok redid it with the roll my class gold + 100 thing breakdown is
    Spoiler:

230gp(13x10 + 100) 270lb(18x15)
    -75gp(chainmail) 55lb
    -50gp(greatsword) 6lb
    -2 gp(backpack) 5lb
    -1 gp(bedroll) 7lb
    -10gp(Ink)
    -80sp(40 paper)
    -2 sp(waterskin) 5lb
    -5 sp(clothes common) 3lb
    -5 sp(tinderbox) 1lb
    -1 cp(Whetstone) 1lb
    -1 gp(rope hempen 50 feet)10lb
    -20sp(4 days rations) 8lb
    -1 gp(scroll case) 1lb
    -1 gp(holy symbol)
    -25gp(book) 5lb

230gp-177gp2sp1cp=52gp7sp9cp

117lb/270lb

Also don't mind changing it again, I'm happy to comply to whatever since I'm pretty much a newbie.
    Looking forward to other people's characters.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; October 29th, 2016 at 05:19 PM.

Question: Would y'all be alright if I made a discord chat or something for this thing? Roll20 has its own chat in the gamerooms and stuff, but a discord could be a good place to meet, organize, and such.

I got some pretty decent starting rolls (12 14 15 15 12 12). Would it be possible to +/- a few points within? I wanted to make my character kinda oafy, and I don't think that comes across with a 12 base intelligence.

At this point, I'm just figuring out spells, and considering redoing my background from what I'd written it as before.

A discord would be pretty nice. I'll have to wait and see how much time I can dedicate to this (school work is gonna be hell), but I can def set aside one day a week.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Honestly, if you wanna stretch it that they're intelligent at something but otherwise super oafy, I'd let you. Stats as a roleplay tool are malleable, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    Question: Would y'all be alright if I made a discord chat or something for this thing? Roll20 has its own chat in the gamerooms and stuff, but a discord could be a good place to meet, organize, and such.
    Discord is good. I think I'll take time this Friday to make a character.

I forget. Are there particular things off the table? Races, classes or alignments?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    I forget. Are there particular things off the table? Races, classes or alignments?
    Pretty much anything goes.

Maybe I'll rethink my character, if we can get races and classes from expansions, haha.

I may remake my Goliath Barbarian lol. Or my Centaur Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    Pretty much anything goes.
    The gates are open https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Races
    Alien Grey woot. Someone make that pls xD.

Wagomu, you should make a Hircus character
    I make silly pictures.
    Twitter
    Tumblr DeviantArt Instagram

if anyone makes a grey you better prepare to be rolling constant disguise and persuasion checks because I will not be merciful

Quote Originally Posted by Below Average View Post
    Wagomu, you should make a Hircus character
    Oh my god this is a thing and now my character.

I was about to make an executive veto in case Hircus was stupid
    but no, this is great. Wagomu finally has a place in the world (plus my setting had goatfolk anyway so it works out)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information