+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: AP Forums Tabletop Gaming Thread: ROLLIN' DICE AND PLAYIN' NICE

Default AP Forums Tabletop Gaming Thread: ROLLIN' DICE AND PLAYIN' NICE

(Turns out we didn't actually have one)

This is a thread to discuss tabletop gaming of all kinds, either physical or digital.
    With online resources like Roll20, it's become easy for people online to get together and enjoy the likes of D&D, Pathfinder, Call of Cthulhu, and Shadowrun, along with it being easier than ever introduce people who might be apprehensive to these kinds of games.

So, you know, talk about 'em

I've been lookin' to rustle a little group together for some D&D5e, myself. My current group is on hiatus due to real life stuff, so I was curious to see if anyone here was curious about that.

Other than that, just use here for talking about tables and dice

Default Re: AP Forums Tabletop Gaming Thread: ROLLIN' DICE AND PLAYIN' NICE

After reading some reddit d&dgreentext stories I actually have some curiosity about trying one of these, I just donīt know anything about, well, anything.
    My biggest concern is how much time something like this could take.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

I love table top gaming, however, every time I try to get in one with friends it always falls through and we're never able to complete it.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    After reading some reddit d&dgreentext stories I actually have some curiosity about trying one of these, I just donīt know anything about, well, anything.
    My biggest concern is how much time something like this could take.
    Depends, really. Sometimes, it's just a oneshot that lasts 4 hours, sometimes it's a long reaching campaign that can go on for over a year.

A one-shot that I ran ended with a lizardman PC getting into a boxing match with a skeleton warrior that went on for several turns because both of them just kept missing, so anything can happen, really.

By the 7 Sons of Pwngoat! *Meh*'s Avatar

I had a DM training session once where my friend (a veteran DM) ran a group of 1st level characters (well, 1st level stats) through a wilderness trek to test my ability to use the DM's Guide and the Monster Manual (2nd Edition). One group got annihilated by troglodytes, another group killed two hill giants that couldn't find their ass with both hands~all due to the roll of the dice.

If your friends are more interested in a campaign that's story-driven, and the dice simply will not cooperate, then as a Dungeon Master, Game Master, Referee, or Judge you have the right to make an on-the-spot decision to get the story moving. Just don't abuse this right to railroad your players.
    I'm like Hisotensoku: Not here to preserve peace, nor to destroy it. I certainly can't move mountains. Mostly, I'm just full of hot air.
    - *Meh*

I like to let the dice and the players do the talking for the story
    If they wanna mess around during pressing matters or do something just that dumb? They totally can, but they'll need to live with the consequences!
    Luckily, I haven't had too much experience with anything like that. My group is pretty respectful about keeping pace and we all hate railroading

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post
    I love table top gaming, however, every time I try to get in one with friends it always falls through and we're never able to complete it.
    Exactly my problem. Unlike video games, board and tabletop require that one spec I never really have access to: interacting with other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Exactly my problem. Unlike video games, board and tabletop require that one spec I never really have access to: interacting with other people.
    Being perfectly honest, it's a learned skill. When I was starting out, even though I was playing with my good friends, it took us all a while to really start just playing and stop worrying about all the minutia of the game.
    Once you really get the hang of it, it's wickedly fun.

To be specific, it's not easy to actually find people, and the couple of times the opportunity came up the people weren't exactly friendly or people I was comfortable interacting with.

Yeah, that's always a bum deal.
    Honestly, that's part of why I wanted to make a thread here? AP is a pretty knit community, compared to others I've been in, so I felt comfortable enough seeking other people here who may have wanted to play.

I'd totally be interested in something like this, but probably after the semester winds down. Too much going on on my end right now.

That said, I've never actually played DnD or any kind of roleplaying game so I have no idea what to expect.

I'd be interested pending on timing, given I have work, school and lots of other games to focus on as well

I would also love doing something like this. However, I wouldn't be able to do an on going campaign, as my work can have me leave at any moment. If there was ever just a one off deal I would gladly join pending availability.

One-shots are also just a good way for people to learn the ropes and get comfortable with all the ins and outs of the game, I've run and done more than a couple one-shots, myself, so I wouldn't be averse at all to anyone wanting to do one either because they're new or just due to availability

I got into D&D about a year ago, and I liked it after it took me a few hours to really get into it. I did it with a group of friends so we never had a big problem with anything, and the experienced players were super patient and accommodating to the newer players (like me). And most importantly, no one was super strict on how you should or shouldn't be playing, and we did fine on getting on with the story and just having fun.

I will say though, I wasn't prepared for the reading and learning the math on making/distributing stats on characters, so that was kind of overwhelming at first. But making the characters personalities and backstories? I was really into that! Here's a few brief description of some I made for a few campaigns:
    Hidden:

Wonka III- The descendant of a well known sweets merchant, but never knew his grandfather. Had a tendency to yell "flame on" anytime he initiated an attack.

Ramsey Armageddon- Imagine the Punisher and Judge Dredd had a love child, and it grew up just like its parents and has a southern accent. I mainly gave him this name so I could do some neat & lame one-liners whenever killing enemies ("This is the end of your world" and other lame stuff like that).

Atticus Bulletknuckles- This one was for a Supernatural inspired one-off. Sincere guy, until he found out you were a vampire. Then he'd get ultra violent and punch you with bullets between his knuckles.

Flintlock- Saul Goodman. But as a bard. Had a coin that would always flips against your favor. DM figured out what I was trying to do with it real quick, so I wasn't able to do a lot of fun things with it for too long :P

Made me realize I have a tendency to start out with jokey stories/characters, and then slowly evolve them into serious ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    I like to let the dice and the players do the talking for the story
    If they wanna mess around during pressing matters or do something just that dumb? They totally can, but they'll need to live with the consequences!
    Luckily, I haven't had too much experience with anything like that. My group is pretty respectful about keeping pace and we all hate railroading
    Our group once took over this vampire's mansion, and then spent a stupid amount of time debating what we should do with it. Rent it out? Sell the thing whole? Which would give us more money? Did we want to get a long term investment going? In other words, we spent more time talking about real estate than fighting during that session. Wild tangents like that can be pretty fun, though :)

Unfortunately, some of the D&D friends I played with have moved away, and I really don't like the idea of joining a local group of people I don't know. But the idea of an online one sounds interesting, as long as I get a general idea of what the time commitment would be. At most, I don't think I could do sessions that went over 3 hours. What's the general norm, anyway? I know a group that would do it every Saturday for 6 hours, but that always seemed unusual to me.

I started my first ever campaign with a couple friends on roll20.net about a month ago. We've had some fun so far even if we're still only second level. I've been enjoying myself even if I haven't quite gotten the hang of standard play yet.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

The Other White Meat Capt Haggis's Avatar

DnD is something I always wanted to try and get into. I been following Critical Role on geek and sundry (a bunch of professional voice actors playing DnD which pretty much describes how much fun it is.) and that's really got my interest up.
    Your daily heaping helping of haggis.

I am glad this thread was started.

Do you think I can bring up my simple table top/ board game that I've been developing for a while now? Would this be the right place?

And after reviewing Roll20, I hope to make a didgital online version if my game is decently successful (maybe after letting you lot review it)

If people want to do a D&D thing, I'd love to join in a campaign. I've never actually played a game, but I've got a leftover Half-Orc Bard from the one time I tried (was DOA since the group split before we started a game lawl) that I've been itching to play.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Half-Orc Bard
    yessssssss

Anyways, I'm glad there's as many people interested here as there is.
    Once it's convenient, I can go through some character creation process for people new to the game (for D&D 5th Edition), and provide some extra resources.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information