+ Reply to Thread
Page 285 of 297 FirstFirst ... 185 235 275 283 284 285 286 287 295 ... LastLast
Results 5,681 to 5,700 of 5927

Thread: American Politics thread: Shame of Thrones

Default Re: American Politics thread: Shame of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    You seem totally unaware what congress people...are, how they get into congress, and when the next time that comes up for many of them is.
    We're not the Soviet Union, political parties are not a branch of the government.

Alright first off, that word doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.
    Secondly, Trump being removed from office doesn't put a Democrat in the white house lol.
    I never said their would be. However, Pence and his other cabinet members are not Trump. They would not be as easy to use for their own agendas due to them being more cautious and careful in their dealings. They would not make the same decisions as him, thereby creating potential risk of any successor being too soft.

Pence would be way more effective at furthering the GOP agenda on account of him not crippling the executive office with goons and clowns who can't pass a single law due to their incompetence.

Which is why you get bad takes about how Pence would be even worse than Trump.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

I have my concerns for pence, related primarily to his LGBT record and religious fervor (something I think should be kept far away from actual power). But I think we're well past the point ANYTHING is a step up.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

If Godzilla had been a dinosaur or some other animal, he would have been killed by just one cannonball. So, I took the characteristics of an atomic bomb and applied them to Godzilla. Ishirō Honda

Pence would even "look" better after a Trump presidential stint. Like, anything is better than Trump right? Pence comes off as more sane, composed, professional, and serious. So, yeah, Pence could be able to get more of the GOP agenda done and come off as a step up while doing serious damage.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Pence would even "look" better after a Trump presidential stint. Like, anything is better than Trump right? Pence comes off as more sane, composed, professional, and serious. So, yeah, Pence could be able to get more of the GOP agenda done and come off as a step up while doing serious damage.
    He could even get the Nobel Peace Prize. lol

As for the impeachment. It seems we don't really know how it could unfold since (If I'm right) Trumpl is the only president who's not really part of his party. Just popped out of nowhere and all. We can't really compare him to anyone right ?

Quote Originally Posted by genocyber View Post
    I never said their would be. However, Pence and his other cabinet members are not Trump. They would not be as easy to use for their own agendas due to them being more cautious and careful in their dealings.
    In what way is Trump easy to use for their agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    As for the impeachment. It seems we don't really know how it could unfold since (If I'm right) Trumpl is the only president who's not really part of his party. Just popped out of nowhere and all. We can't really compare him to anyone right ?
    First off, Trump is indeed part of, a cause, and a symptom of the Republican Party.

Second, oh, there's hella people Trump can be compared to.

The Nixon and Reagan comparisons write themselves, if relegated to Presidents.

Outside of the Oval Office, you see parts of him in every Dixiecrat who fucked over their constituents at every turn but got constantly reelected because they used the n-word freely, you see him in the John Birch Society, you see him in every right populist demagogue from before WWII and after (Kuhn, Coughlin, Pelley - hell, even a bit of Long.) Trump is the culmination of a very old trend and disease in American conservatism that has plenty of precedents.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    He could even get the Nobel Peace Prize. lol

Yes and no. As a president you can compare him with other presidents to a certain degree. For instance he's a president with the title "Republican" and he has a Republican controlled House, Senate, and White House. In that instance you can compare him with George W. Bush or even Eisenhower in that regard. If there's anything learned from this election all you really need is the title and run with it. Trump has also received comparisons with Nixon because of the impeding impeachment.

But Trump is certainly different so there are spots you can't really compare him with other presidents.
    Everything's Eventual...

The thing with a Pence administration though, is that it would be much easier to fight radical-right legislation and get independents to vote Democrat. It's not just going to be the establishment Republicans we saw during Obama's term, it's going to be a fractured party with the establishment R's being on board with Pence, the Freedom Caucus/Libertarian representatives being antagonistic to them as soon as they pivot a bit more to the center inevitably on some issues like healthcare(or face a bigger chance of losing re-election), and still going to be baring the shadow of a corrupt President's election. Add in with that all the people like Lindsey Graham and McCain who will go towards whatever helps them win re-election.

With a Pence administration it would have all those problems I mentioned, however I do feel that it would run a bit smoother into their hopeful loss in 2018 and 2020. Even with segments of the GOP fighting over how much to fuck people over with things like healthcare, there wouldn't be the day-to-day alarms ringing when Trump does another absolutely detrimental thing. One of the problems right now is that because Trump causes so much hysteria, things get lost in the blur. If not for Jon Oliver, aside from many of us in this thread who regularly pay attention to the news, many young people would have no idea about how Net Neutrality is at risk and how big of a deal it is. Something like that could be a potentially great, ratings-grabbing story for a news network. But anything short of Trump's involvement in some capacity(like a comedian being warned by the FCC for mocking Trump) won't garner airtime on a mainstream network.

And just the sheer amount of people that didn't vote normally, but did when their favorite celebrity decided to ran, likely won't be the people to go voting for the establishment politicians that pushed him out to save their own skins. The sheer amount of Republican voters that approve of him just goes to show how attractive a candidate can be when they say what you want to hear. Unfortunately for the GOP, Trump did it too well and now he's convinced a tangible segment of voters that every politician except the ones he likes are swamp people, anything outside of Trump's mouth directly(sometimes) and his family is fake news, and that the whole world is out to get and mistreat him. He secured their vote in him, not the GOP.
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

In what way is Trump easy to use for their agendas.
    He's a simple minded idiot who would sign anything if he was told it would be making a lot of money. Especially if he was told how great a job he is doing in the process.

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Pence comes off as more sane, composed, professional, and serious.
    I don't get any of those qualities from him, he just looks like one of the kids from the movie Village of the Damned all grown up to me.

Hidden:

Only Pence is creepier because he's a real boy somehow.

If Godzilla had been a dinosaur or some other animal, he would have been killed by just one cannonball. So, I took the characteristics of an atomic bomb and applied them to Godzilla. Ishirō Honda

Quote Originally Posted by genocyber View Post
    He's a simple minded idiot who would sign anything if he was told it would be making a lot of money. Especially if he was told how great a job he is doing in the process.
    This is a nice description of not how this has been playing out.

CNN:Russians believed they would be able to use Michael Flynn to influence Trump: http://us.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politics/michael-flynn-donald-trump-russia-influence/index.html

One major concern for Obama administration officials was the subject of conversations between Flynn and Kislyak that took place shortly after Obama slapped new sanctions on Russia for meddling in the election. Sources tell CNN that Flynn told Kislyak that the Trump administration would look favorably on a decision by Russia to hold off on retaliating with its own sanctions. The next day, Putin said he wouldn't retaliate.

Reminder:

One day there is going to be a history book that puts together a bunch of documents written by 45. Because he's a president. So you make books about that. Letters from John Adams to his wife for instance, because its of historical interest.

And there will be a huge catalog of all his tweets.

With footnotes on the date, context, foreshadowing, what was a cover up, what was eventually used against him in court, and irony.

I'm going to put The Collected Tweets of Donald J. Trump the Exiled on my shelf next to Grant's memoirs as a statement about how to have dignity.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

That looks like a VS sign for Fight Night

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Two pics I snapped of Japanese TV news talking about Trump's trip.
    Nothing particularly noteworthy. Just the cutesy graphics that aren't intentionally offensive in the least (because Japan) but that Trump would probably be furious about.

They actually seem to normalize him way more than should be legal for a country on Earth to do, but more out of arm's-length observing than...malicious agenda, say. Also, the magnitude of the word salad never makes it into the subtitles, sadly.

Spoiler:

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/865956196779532288

LOL. wonder what the pepe's have to say about this
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information